Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,723 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks (1393 Views)

Pastor 'Delivers' Mad Man In Edo After Years Of Madness (Photos) / What Kind Of Madness Is This In The Church / "How Mad Is Your Madness?" Church Poster In Jos (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by LordReed(m): 12:31pm On Jan 06, 2019
Martinez19 is making me feel like opening a church. LMFAO!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by CAPSLOCKED: 3:05pm On Jan 06, 2019
THIS IS A VERY INTERESTING STORY, MARTINEZ.

Martinez19:
MATTAN : you would notice that Abraham was a very stupid man and he is a hero of faith for his ways of stupidity. If things go as planned and people believe us, people shall gladly imitate the ways of a hero of their faith, Abraham. They can't judge Abraham as stupid since they believe in our creator, after all Abraham was responding to the call a creator that exists. I can bet my head that a lot of our kinds, even for generations to come, would never ask themselves how Abraham could believe a voice in his head just like that without questioning and then go great lengths to the biddings of the voice and believe the promises made by the voice for so many years. It just stretches, to a great extent, the expectations of stupidity we shall have for our followers. who the hell leaves his family and nearly kills his own son because of a voice in his head?

FATHER ABRAHAM'S STUPIDITY CAN NEVER EVER BE COMPARED TO THAT OF HIS STUPIDER DESCENDANTS WE HAVE IN NIGERIA TODAY.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by Martinez19(m): 4:16pm On Jan 06, 2019
NB: this is fiction and it's under no obligation to conform with reality.

CHAPTER FOUR : ready made answers Part 1.

Achim and Zadok couldn't contain their joy at the development of their belief system. The facts that they would soon confront the crowds and ascend to power were very intoxicating indeed. Both couldn't wait to start earning. 10% from the population is really a huge amount and more interesting was that they got it just like that. More exciting was that after their next discussion, they were going to confront the crowds. They all gathered later that evening as they had promised and they decided to give explanations to their physical world from the perspective of their belief system.

MATTAN : well, this is going to be our final discussion before we confront any of the worshippers. Today, we shall try to explain our physical world and human life from the perspective of our doctrines. We must, while doing this, supercede the stupid beliefs of various worshippers.

ZADOK : that makes sense. Not only is our belief system going to be accepted, our explanation shall completely alienate them from their beliefs so that there is no chance of a unification, no matter how small, of other stupid beliefs and ours. So it's either theirs or ours and since they will most likely believe us, it's total victory for us.

ACHIM : (very excited) so let's proceed for my ears desire to hear more of Mattan's brilliant ideas. At every progress the dream of being wealthy leaders of crowds seems more feasible.

ZADOK & ACHIM : (giggling in excitement)

MATTAN : claim down friends, we must not be overconfident and throw caution into the wind. We shall start with the premise that shall be the foundation of our explanation of the natural world. The premise is that all things in the physical world, with the exception of our kind and other living beings, are mere inanimate objects that have been created by the creator to serve their specific purposes.

ZADOK : (a bit alarmed) wouldn't that turn the priests of all objects of worship against us? Wouldn't that immediately cause a backlash from devotees of objects of worship? You know that you just disrespected their sacred beliefs. Sun worshippers won't welcome such against the sun because they would believe that disregarding the sun, just as we want them to, would lead to harsh consequences from the sun itself and that the sun may seize to shine on them. You know what it means when the sun doesn't shine, right?

ACHIM : (a bit alarmed as well) what's worse is the backlash we are going to receive from the tree and earth worshippers. They wouldn't welcome our beliefs nor the spread of it for they believe that rendering prayers and worship to the trees and earth makes them reap a bountiful harvest and that such will stop if prayers and worship are not given to both. You know what it means when there is no food, right?

MATTAN : you need not worry about such for in presenting our belief system, we would first tell them about our creator and all we have discussed earlier. When they have believed us or, at least, they are very receptive to our ideas, then we can start with our explanation of our physical world. Besides I would tell them that they needn't worry about not being favoured by the physical objects for the creator created them and all things in the physical world and he has absolute control over them and if only they are devoted to the creator he shall make everything favour them. The sun will keep on shining during the day and keep falling back at night even without prayers and worship to it.

ZADOK : (now relaxed and excited) that's brilliant. For a moment I thought that our chances at being wealthy leaders of crowds have been annihilated. Seems you have got everything covered. As to explaining our physical world, what about the shape of the earth? What says your creator?

MATTAN : hmmmmm, I never thought about that as it didn't come across as being important in alienating people from their beliefs. No one worships the shape of the earth and no one has ever cared to ask, I only provided explanations for objects of worship.

ZADOK : still, what would our creator say about the shape of the earth? The more logical answers we provide to questions, important or not, about our physical world, the more they believe us.

MATTAN : I remember when I was little and just strong enough, I ascended the tallest mountain known to us with Naaman's burden. He intended on giving the burden as a gift to Anakim the chief sun priest. While on top of the mountain, I looked over at our land and beyond and I saw a vast stretch of land extending beyond what my eyes could see and the land terminated into a circular horizon. I think it's safe to conclude that our creator made the earth in the shape of an exceedingly large flat circle. Besides no matter how far people have travelled, they have never seen the edge of our land.

ACHIM : wow! I have never ascended the tallest mountain reserved for the royal and elite sun worshippers. At least even if Sephias and anyone else makes their way up there, they can't prove use wrong. What about the functions of the moon and stars?

MATTAN : from the look of things, the moon and stars give off their own light and take the place of the sun at night. These things are not to be worshiped rather people should worship the creator instead of his creations.

ACHIM : what about the fools who earnestly believe that when they die, they shall be reborn in the distant future?

MATTAN : since the people do not want to think that when they die they become nothing for all eternity, we shall play along and comfort them in this aspect. We shall take advantage of their fear of becoming nothing when they die. We shall tell them that the creator made it so that when they die, they don't reincarnate instead they go the land of the dead. This land of the dead is located in the unseen world and when they die, they go there and live with their ancestors for all eternity.

ACHIM : how shall you resolve the conflict that will arise from these two beliefs about death?

MATTAN : we shall tell them that our creator asks of them to judge for themselves if indeed any ancestor from the distant past is among them. If not, why didn't they reincarnate? Our belief must therefore be true. Not only have I comforted them by telling them that they would live forever, I have also displaced their belief in reincarnation.

ZADOK & ACHIM : (applaud Mattan)

ZADOK : (very excited) with every step and progress, I have no doubt that we shall be wealthy leaders of crowd. Some might want to reconnect with their loved ones and ask that the creator enable them to see their loved ones, what say you tell them?

MATTAN : it's quite simple, we shall tell them that natural living beings in the physical world cannot see the unseen world by nature and the creator, for wise reasons, forbids them from seeing into the unseen world and it's also forbidden to desire such. In fact anyone that claims he can look into the unseen world is a liar and such practice is forbidden. However, they should not worry for the creator has made it so that they would see their ancestors and loved ones in the land of the dead when they die.

ACHIM : concerning your idea of prayer to the creator, it seems we are only prepared for events of unanswered prayers and effectively defending ourselves and our creator. What about the reverse case? When shall it be that they pray and the creator answers? You know that we can't always have only cases of unanswered prayers and we being on the defensive lest they might grow frustrated, suspicious and angry.

ZADOK : that's thoughtful of you, Achim. I am sure Mattan is a step ahead as always.

MATTAN : that's not a challenge at all. We all know that Achim has an astonishing gift of observation that has never failed. We all, except the crowd, are aware of this gift. Achim has observed weather patterns and when it's best to plant many edibles and his predictions has never failed. The people plant anyhow because they don't know when to plant and eventually, when their crops fail, they think the earth is angry and they try to appease the earth through prayer and worship. We can tell them to pray to our creator for a good harvest; follow his instructions to plant on certain days and they shall unfailingly yield a good return. In very very very few occurrences of natural disasters, we can use our techniques to defend ourselves and our creator and blame both the Evil One and the people.

ZADOK : (very amazed) wow! that would be revolutionary. Finally, a revelation supposedly from our creator that works. When they pray to our creator; follow his directives, which Achim shall provide, and unfailingly reap steady harvests for the first time in their lives, they shall say that our creator did it not knowing that it is just a physical process.

ACHIM : (laughing) and we shall tell them that if they disobey our creator's directives, they shall get bad harvest. Of course, plant at the wrong time and get nothing, that's completely natural but when we they get nothing, they shall say that our creator was right and thus our creator is vindicated. Who else can know the creation better than the creator? Who else can have authority over the realms if not the all powerful creator of the realms? This is a breakthrough that shall endear our beliefs to them.

ZADOK : what other physical/natural laws can we bastardize and promote as the creator's doing?

MATTAN : well, there are certain strange diseases that affect our kind and some end up recovering while others don't. How the lucky ones recover is unexplainable yet obviously natural. For those that do recover, we shall say that our creator did it. For those that don't, we know how to defend ourselves using the strategies I previously outlined. If they ask, which I don't think they would since they are f00ls, how others recovered in the past despite not being devoted to our creator, I will tell them that most of them who would have died like others shall be rescued by our creator so they had better be devoted so that they shall have recovery guaranteed.

ACHIM : fantastic! Are there any other physical processes that we can bastardize as our creator's doing? The more the better.

MATTAN : it's easy. We use exactly the same method for success in battles, success and achieving the good things in life, surviving accidents and many more. Our creator did it. In fact, we shall circulate testimonies, both invented and real, of the good works of our creator among our kinds. Imagine someone giving birth and thanking our creator or someone working hard, finally succeeding and thanking our creator.

ALL THREE : (laugh out loud)

ZADOK : why did our creator create our kind, our environment and other living beings?

MATTAN : I never thought about that but it's easy to answer. Let's say he just created everything for his pleasure and to show forth his glory. Besides, to our advantage and to further bind the people to us, we can say that man's purpose is to serve our creator and obey his directives.

ZADOK : well, this is getting interesting. This brings back memories of me, as a little child, sitting around the bonfire listening to my grandpa telling me interesting stories. I have more questions to ask but can we spare few minutes to eat for I am hungry? We can resume our discussion of providing answers to our physical world from the perspective of our belief system.

ACHIM : Few minutes wouldn't be bad. I concur

ALL THREE : (go out to eat)

Cc. Janettee, LordReed, XxSabrinaxX, MhizAngel99, hahn, CAPSLOCKED etc.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by Martinez19(m): 4:27pm On Jan 06, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

FATHER ABRAHAM'S STUPIDITY CAN NEVER EVER BE COMPARED TO THAT OF HIS STUPIDER DESCENDANTS WE HAVE IN NIGERIA TODAY.
Lol. grin
Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 07, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

Seconded

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by Martinez19(m): 1:35pm On Jan 08, 2019

CHAPTER FIVE : ready made answers Part 2 & the confrontation plan.

Their two hours break had elapsed and they resumed their discussion. Zadok, while eating, came up with an idea that he wanted to discuss with his friends. That idea is the concept of eternal reward and punishment in the afterlife and Zadok hoped that it could be an effective tool in further binding the people's minds to their belief system. They sat down to round off their discussion so that they could confront the people as soon as possible.

MATTAN : well friends, I think we have laid the basic foundation of our belief system and it's quite a concrete one at that. I think we are now ready to confront the people. First, this is how we are going to go about it, we shall ...

ZADOK : (coughs and interrupts Mattan) erm, I have an idea I wish to share with you, an idea I think would greatly help our cause in the long run.

MATTAN & ACHIM : (alert, amazed and curious)

MATTAN : what could it be? I would very much like to hear it, do tell us.

ZADOK : it's the concept of eternal punishment and reward in the afterlife. Why don't we make it so that when people die, their souls end up in either of two places in the afterlife: a place of eternal reward and a place of eternal punishment. Those that go to the place of eternal reward after they die are those who commited themselves to doing the creator's will and believed him during their earthly lives and those that go to the place to eternal punishment are those who did not believe in our creator and did not follow his will. These concepts, especially that of eternal punishment, will motivate and frighten the people to be steadfast in the ways of our creator. What says you guys?

ACHIM : wow! that's a good one. That would obviously work but we have to perfectly describe both places. What could be the most rewarding place of eternal reward? A place so rewarding that the people would really want to go to in the afterlife? What could be the most horrifying place of eternal punishment? A place so scary and frightening that people would really want to avoid? I am sure that you, Zadok, have that figured out.

ZADOK : not at all, I was hoping Mattan's brilliance would come into play here. What says you, Mattan?

MATTAN : (smiling, amazed and impressed) your plan is a fantastic one indeed and would really be helpful in the long run. I think I have an idea. What could be better than living in a perfect world? A world free from suffering, diseases, infirmities, wars and other imperfections of our present world? This is the fancy of the people, isn't it? To make it even better, that place shall be the abode of the creator. Since the creator stays in the unseen world and the unseen world is above the sky, that perfect abode in which they shall live forever after they die is above the sky. That's the people's ultimate heaven, what could beat that?

ZADOK & ACHIM : (applaud Mattan)

ZADOK : (laughing) wow! I didn't see that coming. Mattan is always up to the task. What about the place of eternal punishment? I am sure you have something in store for the people.

MATTAN : Of course. We do the reverse by simply appealing to the people's fear and sense of horror. The place of eternal punishment shall be a place of horror, torture, torment, fright and unspeakable anguish. That's the people's ultimate hell. That place shall be a place of fire, burning sulphur and other unspeakables. To spice it up, there shall be monsters, monsters so horrible in sight, so evil and are responsible for torturing damned souls. These monsters are armed with various brutal weapons of torture and shall employ any brutal technique of horror and torture possible. The fire shall only be damaging and painful to the damned souls.

ACHIM : a great idea but there is a problem. Where do these monsters originate from? How could a loving creator create these monsters? Why couldn't he forgive the sins of the damned souls? Isn't eternal punishment unjust for a crime committed for less than a century? Since the place of eternal punishment is in the unseen world and therefore above the sky, it means it must be located in the abode of the creator, how could he condone and behold such place of horror given that he is a loving creator? How do you fix that? It's best to fix this rather than discarding such useful concept.

MATTAN : (pauses and thinks deeply) well, I doubt people would ask but it's best we make our belief system logically consistent as much as possible. I have an idea. Let it be that the monsters were former servants of the creator and they fell after taking sides with the Evil One in an epic battle in the people's ultimate heaven.

ZADOK : so an all powerful creator had servants to begin with? What is an all powerful being doing with servants anyway? What are the servants meant to do that the all powerful creator couldn't do for himself by simply snapping his fingers? Now that all his servants have rebelled, who shall be his servant to do what the former servants were doing? Did he make them all ugly and horrific to look at?

MATTAN : (unfazed) well, he is the creator and he can do anything he likes.

ALL THREE : (burst into laughter)

MATTAN : on a serious note, we shall say not all the servants rebelled against him, two-thirds remained loyal while the rest , with the Evil One, were cast down from heaven to a place on earth far below the ground. It's impossible for a man to dig the soil to get there and that place, below the ground, in the place of eternal punishment. Besides, the loving creator didn't create it for the people he loves instead he created it for the fallen servants and the creator doesn't send anyone to the place of eternal punishment instead people choose to go there by defying his will and refusing to believe in him. The servants are created to praise him and do his biddings. They send the message the creator has for his people to the people and they protect the people. It's just like the case of our king. Besides, the fallen servants, just like all servants were all created, at the very beginning, great in beauty and glory and they lost it during their rebellion as a form of punishment. This should settle it and anything else is as the wise creator wills it. Anything else? If there is none, we shall plan our confrontation with the crowd.

ZADOK : (deeply satisfied) there is nothing else, you have done a great job as always. As our discussion progressed, my dream of becoming a leader of crowds gets more realistic and feasible. Achim, do you have anything you wish to add and have us examine?

ACHIM (thinks deeply) I don't have anything for now. Please, let's proceed to how we are going to confronting the people. I have always looked forward to this part. I can't wait to be a leader of crowds.

MATTAN : we shall, first of all, document our belief system in a systematic way and then we shall confront the people. When are the people together, free to have time for us and unguarded?

ACHIM : obviously on the two work free days. The lower class worshippers, who are the majority, all go together, everyday, to the other lower mountains to worship their various objects of worship while the royal family, all soldiers and elites go to the highest mountain known to us. The lower class are left to move alone and unguarded since there are no soldiers to guide them. They therefore all move together with weapons against wild animals and ambush from crooked and vile men. When they get to the foot of the mountain closest to the the main river, they part ways to their various prayer grounds. Exactly forty minutes after foolishly praying to and appeasing their various objects of worship, they all converge at the foot of the mountain and head home to do what ever they please.

MATTAN : well, we shall plan to confront them on the next first work free day. After we confront them when they are through with their prayers and are heading home and communicate our belief system to them, they shall use the second work free day to spread, gossip and gist about our belief system rather than have preparations for the next working/labour day occupying their minds and leaving them with not much time for us and our doctrines. I predict a large hysteria on those two work free days but we have a lot of preparations to do and we must be wise during the confrontation. First, I have saved silver to acquire writing materials but it wouldn't be enough. Would you guys care to contribute?

ZADOK & ACHIM : (eagerly) yes we will!

ZADOK : in fact, I know were to get them at a very cheap price.

MATTAN : very well then, you will be in charge of getting the writing materials for us. You can collect money from Achim. (brings out his silver and hands it over to Zadok).

ACHIM : what about the King, shouldn't we be worried about him? If he finds out that we are defying his sacred beliefs, we shall be put to death.

MATTAN : leave it to me, I know how to handle it. That's why we shall target the unguarded majority first. I guess we can call it a day.

ZADOK : just asking, how do the creator's servant deliver messages to the people given that they are up there?

MATTAN : (laughs) would the people ever ask that? Well, you would notice that only certain living beings can ascend way above the greatest mountain known to us and they all have one thing in common -- wings! It's obvious that their wings are what make them fly and similarly, the creator's servants have wings at their backs that help them fly from above the sky to earth to deliver the creator's messages and do his biddings. There are other more logical explanations but this is intuitive and dramatic. Any more questions?

ZADOK & ACHIM : (burst into laughter) no more questions!

MATTAN : let's call it day. It's very late and we must sleep so that we can be fresh for tomorrow's labour and move on with our preparation.

ALL THREE : (bid each other goodnight)

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by Martinez19(m): 4:28pm On Jan 08, 2019
I planned a very long story but I stopped tagging people since my story is long and maybe "boring." I don't want to disturb people's mentions grin. If you are somehow still interested, you can follow. I will release more chapters when I am free. Man is busy. wink

NB: if you are not a bible scholar, you will most likely not understand my story.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by LordReed(m): 11:50am On Jan 09, 2019
Martinez19:
I planned a very long story but I stopped tagging people since my story is long and maybe "boring." I don't want to disturb people's mentions grin. If you are somehow still interested, you can follow. I will release more chapters when I am free. Man is busy. wink

NB: if you are not a bible scholar, you will most likely not understand my story.

I am following assiduously.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by Martinez19(m): 8:17am On Jan 10, 2019

CHAPTER SIX : meeting the people.

After few weeks of preparation and rehearsal, they were ready to handle the most critical moment of their lives. Two options were available: succeed and be wealthy leaders of crowds or fail to convince the people and be killed for fraud and blasphemy. To them, it was one of those moments where they dare not mess things up. While they could have saved themselves the trouble, they knew that the greater the suffering and risk, the sweeter and greater the glory. The day had finally come and they hid themselves in a bush beneath a tree with Zadok on top of the tree to alert them when the people were done and descending the mountain. Finally, with an alert from Zadok, they suddenly became lionesses ready to pounce on their prey.

ZADOK : (sees the people descending from the mountain and alerts his friends by whistling).

MATTAN : (in all seriousness). Achim, look at the sheeples coming. At the perfect timing, we shall run towards them and stand on that rock while acting like there is an emergency and their attention is desperately needed. At this point I need not remind you what to do for we've rehearsed more than I can count.

ACHIM : you can count on me not to miss.

MATTAN : (pauses for a minute) Now! Move it, no delay no nervousness.

MATTAN & ACHIM : (running towards the people as if they are frightened and there is a urgent matter that needs the people's attention. They were screaming at the top of their voices). wait! Wait everyone! You have to listen! Listen!

THE PEOPLE : (initially alerted and hysterical but finally calm and a bit concerned on recognising Mattan as one of their own).

MATTAN (dramatically fakes panting, climbs a rock and faces the people with more fake panting and fake tiredness).

Katem, the strong and fierce labourer serving as one of the people's main guards, steps forward and speaks.

KATEM : what brings you here with such sense of urgency? What could that be? Speak up!

MATTAN : (being dramatic with a faked sense of urgency and seriousness, he screams at the people). haven't you heard?! Haven't you heard?!

KATEM : (alert and curious) heard what exactly?

MATTAN : haven't we heard about where we all originated from? Why is there something rather than nothing? My fellow men and women, it is now known, the answers which we and our ancestors desperately searched for are now known.

THE PEOPLE : (suddenly silent and curious).

Manasa, Anakim's main apprentice who happened to be in charge of the people, speaks up. For all objects of worship, the main priests went to the highest mountain leaving their apprentices with the lower class.

MANASA : what are these answers? Tell us, tell us!

KATEM : tell us!

THE PEOPLE : (curious and hysterical, screaming in unison). tell us! Tell us! Tell us! Tell us! Tell us! Tell us!

MATTAN : calm down everyone. Take a look at our huts, our boats and our cave paintings, did they just come to be without being designed by intelligent beings which are our kind?

THE PEOPLE : No! Not at all!

MATTAN : If these things, which are obviously intelligently designed, were created by us, how much more something more complicated such as our kind, other living beings and our world? Just like our huts, boats and cave paintings, everything that exists must have been caused to exist by an intelligent mind far more greater than it's creation hence their is no chance that we and our world have always been and will ever be. Since the creation cannot be greater than the creator, our kind and our world were created by someone mightier than us and he revealed himself to me in all his glory and wanted me to tell you people about him, his will, his answers to life questions, solutions to life problems, and good tidings.

THE PEOPLE : (curious, carried away by the theatrics of Mattan and Achim and excited) tell us more! Tell us more! Tell us more! Tell us more! Tell us more!

MATTAN : I am going to tell you. In fact, I am happy to tell you but you shall promise that as I speak, there shall be no interruptions and I shall have fifty minutes of your time to speak. Promise?

THE PEOPLE : (exceedingly excited, hysterical and curious) tell us! We promise! Tell us!

MATTAN : (goes on for fifty minutes to perfectly dish out his system of beliefs covering all what he had planned and discussed with his friends).

THE PEOPLE : (stunned by Mattan's words and the apparent coherence of his belief system)

Someone, not easily identified, in the midst of the crowd shouts at loud.

SOMEONE : (shouts) only the true creator could know this!

KATEM : this makes a lot of sense and explains a lot. Indeed only the true creator could have known these things.

THE PEOPLE : (growing noisier, amazed and supportive of Mattan) tell us more! Lead and we shall follow! Long live the creator! Long live the creator! Long live the creator! Long live the creator!

Alas, the three friends have made it. They are now, for the moment at least, leaders of crowds. They had even won over some of Manasa's fellow apprentices but to the displeasure of the three friends, there was a weak resistance, a resistance too weak for Mattan's cunning brain.

MANASA : this is blasphemy and untrue. If it's true that those who don't believe in the creator would go to the place of eternal torment, what about our good and innocent ancestors who didn't know the creator because he wasn't revealed to them? Will he unjustly punish them?

MATTAN : (very angry and choosing his words carefully) shut your mouth you unrighteous one. For that time of unbelief, our creator winked at and overlooked but he has now called for everyone to repent, believe in him and follow him. Besides, how do you know I am lying? Why are you selfish? The creator has been merciful to the people to help them but you want to draw them back with your backward beliefs? Do you want to stain the land by the sin of disobedience and doubt and bring the wrath of the creator upon the people? Do you know that if one person deliberately sins, the blessings of the creator departs from the people? Shall you betray the people because of your future position as the sun chief priest? Shall the people permit such?

THE PEOPLE : (uneasy, hysterical and supportive of Mattan). long live the creator! Long live the creator! His will we shall do! His prophets we shall follow!

MATTAN : (ego trips the people and turns them against the king and priests of objects of worship). who is really the enemy of the people? The king who looks down on us, exploit us and doesn't care about us or the creator who valued us so much that he created us in his own image and is ready to pay attention to us? The king and chief priests of various objects of worships who look down on us and would only attend to important men or the creator who is willing to permit us into his abode when we die and bless us if only we simply believe in him? No gold, no silver or free labour to appease him, all you need do is simply believe. I ask again, who is really the enemy of the people? The king and chief priests or the creator?

THE PEOPLE : (filled with resentment towards the royal family, elites and chief priests). the creator! The creator! The creator! The creator! Down with the king and chief priests?

THE THREE FRIENDS : (smile to each other and deeply satisfied).

MANASA : this is outrageous! The king and the chief priests must hear this, this is sacrilege.

MATTAN : (angry at the risk Manasa is trying to him and hi not only are we exceedingly disregarded and looked down upon by the king, elites and chief priests, Manasa has the guts to persist to destroy us by turning us away from the creator and staining our community with his unrighteousness. Has he no regards for us too? Why seek to turn away the earthly and eternal reward that the creator has for the people? Shall the people tolerate this? I ask, shall the people tolerate this?

THE PEOPLE : (agitated and hysterical) no! No! No! No! No! Down with the traitors!

MATTAN : (acts as if he is receiving a revelation from the creator) oh yes, I can hear him. Speak my creator for your servant listens, what shall I tell your people?

THE PEOPLE : (suddenly silent and amazed).

MATTAN : thus says the greatest creator, everything that stains the people shall be cut off lest it discourages the people and brings the wrath of the creator upon the people. The creator is a consuming fire and he punishes iniquity down to the fourth generation. Take every soul that rebels against the creator kill them so that their sin and stench shall be wiped away from the land and the great blessings, not wrath, of the creator shall be unhindered. By doing this, the creator shall see that you people are indeed ready for his blessings.

THE PEOPLE : (more agitated and aggressive. They violently grab Manasa and other three apprentices. They beat Manama and his fellow apprentices to death and scream at the top of their voices). down with the traitors! Down with the traitors! Long live the creator! Long live the creator! Long live the Creator! tell us more! Tell us more! Tell us more!

So it was that the friends had finally succeeded in winning the people over. The people were ever willing to listen and obey Mattan's directives but there was something worth worrying about and that was the king, the elites, chief priests and soldiers. To Mattan's advantage, the people were way more numerous than the upper class and soldiers combined and it would be best if he wins the king and upper class over too. If the upper class believed him, he would undoubtedly be the undisputed king of crowds but if not, his life would be in danger for fraud and blasphemy. To his advantage, he prepared the people for a possible revolution.

MATTAN : we shall go to the upper class and tell them about our creator. This time, they must listen to us or else we revolt and soak the earth with their blood. The creator shall give us total victory. Do not fear the soldiers. Though our creator could strike them dead at instantly but he wants to give us total and sweet victory by our own hands. He shall be with us, none of us shall be fearful or intimidated by the soldiers for the creator is with us. Who is with me? I say who is with me?

THE PEOPLE : (chanting aggressively at the top of their voices) we are! We are! We are! We are! We are! We are! We are! We are!

THE THREE FRIENDS : [ (raise their hands in triumph and smiling at each other for a job well done.

KATEM : when do we meet the king and the upper class o ye prophets of the almighty creator.

MATTAN : tomorrow morning. Everyone must go back to their homes to meditate on what I have said and pray to the creator. Give him the honour he deserves and pledge your devotion to him for he is all powerful and cares for you. Early tomorrow morning, I shall alert you all and you shall match to the palace with our weapons. Nobody, I repeat nobody, shall stay behind lest the creator's wrath descends on the people. Who is with me?

THE PEOPLE : we are! We are! We are! We are!

MATTAN : the creator has a message for the people. He says that you people have not been reaping steadily from the soil but he has a solution that will work if only you shall listen. He revealed that message to Achim. Achim, please tell them what the creator has for them.

ACHIM : (climbs the rock) my people, the time of steady harvests has come. The creator is ready to bless the people with a steady and consistent harvest if only you shall obey the following when it comes to sowing your seeds in the soil. Are you ready to listen?

THE PEOPLE : (very excited and curious) tell us! Tell us! Tell us!

ACHIM : (goes on to tell them the right season to sow certain seeds as supposedly revealed to him by the creator. He also tells them about the weather patterns)

(an old man, aided by his able-bodied sons, speaks up).

OLD MAN : I think what you say is true concerning the whether pattern for I have observed them but for the planting seasons, I am not sure. I believe the creator is right and we shall see for ourselves and reap good harvest. Long live the creator! (coughs)

ACHIM : you shall see by the end of the harvest if the true creator speaks through us or not. If we don't reap good harvests after following the creators directives, behead me and my fellow prophets.

MATTAN : We have said enough for today. Before we disperse, I shall say that no one should doubt the creator for doubt is a terrible sin and separates the creator from the people. Tomorrow morning, we shall head to the palace. Go eat and do what I have told you people to do.

THE PEOPLE : (cheerfully going back home and screaming at the top of their voices) long live the creator! Long live the creator! Long live the creator!

(the deed was done and it was a success. The three friends still had more work to do but that didn't stop them from celebrating their victory as they walked back home alone since they took a different route).

ZADOK : (mockingly mimicking one of the people) "only the creator could know this."

ALL THREE : (burst into loud laughter).

MATTAN : there are many things to laugh about but let's focus on tomorrow's preparations for the big confrontation. Besides, we are in the open and we don't want anyone hearing us. Let's hurry home.

ALL THREE : (all head home).

Cc. LordReed
Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by Martinez19(m): 8:20am On Jan 10, 2019
I rushed this chapter so don't mind the errors and typographical inconsistencies. I have to get busy for the day. I shall do the needful when I return. wink
Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by Martinez19(m): 1:41pm On Jan 12, 2019

CHAPTER SEVEN : clash in the royal court.

After Mattan had confronted the people that morning, they went home excited by what they've heard and a blanket of radical awakening had covered the entire lower class. They could not stop talking about Mattan's beliefs and the discussion about Mattan's words preoccupied them from that morning till evening. Unsurprisingly, word reached the king very late in the evening through Jothem, the royal informant and servant, about what was happening.

JOTHEM : (runs into the palace with a sense of urgency and bows before the king). my king! Your highness! I bring urgent news, very urgent news.

KING : what could that be?

JOTHEM : three subjects of yours has spread heresies that propose that ancestors do not reincarnate and that the sun, moon and earth are mere objects and are not to be worshiped. They also said...

KING : (exceedingly furious and offended. He interrupts Jothem and scream at the top of his voice). silence! Silence I say and do not go any further. Such blasphemy and defiance must not be spoken by any man, especially in my palace. Who are responsible for this nonsense? Answer me!

JOTHEM : three men are responsible. They are Mattan, Zadok and Achim. They...

GENERAL : (walks in, bows before the king and interrupts Jothem) your highness, I was just informed by someone called Sephias about the spread of some blasphemies by three friends. They said...

THE KING : (interrupts) I have just been informed by Jothem. First thing tomorrow morning, you and your men shall seize those friends, bring them to the royal court and have them put them on trial. (to Jothem) Make sure you inform the priests, elites and everyone that there shall be a trial tomorrow. (to both) That shall be all for today, have I made myself clear?

GENERAL AND JOTHEM : yes my Lord! (bow and leave).

Early next morning, while Jothem had gone to deliver the king's message, the general was assembling his men in front of the royal court and suddenly, a large crowd shouting "long live the creator" was rapidly approaching the royal court. They crowd were fearless because Mattan had told them that they have the creator's backing and to the general's horror, he and his men were taken unawares.

GENERAL : (steps in front of the crowd and scream). stop this madness. You cannot defy the royal court. Don't you know that...

MATTAN : (interrupts in a mocking manner and savoring his new authority) who the hell do you think you are?

GENERAL : (so shocked) Mattan!

MATTAN : are you for the creator or not?

GENERAL : blasphemy! (draws out his sword and tries to arrest the friends).

The people were having none of that and they easily subdued the general and the few soldiers there. They stab and killed the general and his men. They people were fierce and fearless. The general's decapitated head was held by Mattan and the rest were placed on spikes.

KING : (looks out from his window, terrified and shocked and what he is seeing). what is going on?

The noisy crowd, still chanting "long live the creator," storms into the royal court. In the court, the priests, lawyers, judges, scholars and elites were present. They were all shocked and horrified at what saw.

MATTAN : (signals to the crowd to be calm).

THE PEOPLE : (suddenly become silent).

MATTAN : (subtly sending a political message to the king). you know that whatsoever power a king has is given to him by the people and the people can decide to take it back. (raises the general's head) as you can see, general was respected and revered when he spoke and he was readily obeyed because the people wanted it so and now we have taken it back and look where he has ended. Don't you think that the same applies to the king now that he is surrounded by his people who are ready to kill at my command? Are you for the creator or not?

KING : (petrified and confused, he speaks in shaky voice) creator? Who is this creator?

Before Mattan could explain, there were chants of "long live the creator" from a small group behind the crowd and to the three friends delight, they were 99% of the remaining soldiers. The soldiers too had bought into the belief system on hearing the rumours yesterday. The three friends smiled to themselves because this was total victory and there was no stopping them. The king himself understood this.

MATTAN : (to the royal families and elites with glee and pride) as you can see, either you are for the creator or you die because we can't permit sin in the land and lose the creators benefits. (to the people) isn't that so?

THE PEOPLE : (scream at the top of their voices while lifting their weapons) long live the creator! Down with the creator!

KING : tell me about this creator.

MATTAN : I shall tell you about the creator but you and the elites must promise not to interrupt. Do I make my self clear?

ROYAL FAMILY AND ELITES : okay!

MATTAN : (clearly and cleverly explains his belief system, it's answers and benefits to the upper class for the next forty-five minutes and hoping they fall for it like the people).

Thanks to human stupidity, an overwhelming majority of elites were won over except five scholars and the king who is biased towards his beliefs and angry at being humiliated by Mattan. These scholars had been atheists and non-worshippers but had pretended to worshippers so as not to upset the king. The rest of the royal family fell for the belief system. As usual, it was still the same "only the creator could have known this." fallacy. There was an uproar and panic in the royal court.

KING : (hiding his anger and knowing that he has to play along) I accept the creator. In fact, it shall be a law that only the creator shall be worshipped from henceforth.

THE PEOPLE : (joyous) long live the king! Long live the creator!

MATTAN : my king, since you have agreed to believe in the creator and do his will, he approves your kingship and you shall treat the people better. You must also agree that a new constitution shall put in place and this constitution shall be based on the creators directives. I shall relay these directives later to you. You know that the people shall not lose the creators benefits. Agree or be purged, what says the king?

KING : (gets more angry but decides to hide it and play along) of course, so shall it be. Long live the creator.

THE PEOPLE : (joyous) long live the king! Long live the creator! Long live the king! Long live the creator!

KING : (thinking to himself) I have indeed lost the people to this blasphemy and I cannot control them and keep my throne except I accept this blasphemy. I have to play along or lose my throne and die. Even my queens, children and elites have have fallen for this blasphemy. How dare Mattan humiliate me? Indeed, I now realise that power is given by the people. My saving grace are the scholars and I shall discuss with them later to see how I can salvage my people from this blasphemy. I have to find a way to deal with the three friends but it seems that's going to be hard because the soldiers are now for him.

MATTAN : we have indeed succeeded today and it's a great victory for the creator. We shall be here on the next work free day to make the new constitution and hand over our land and throne to the creator.

KING : no problem, as the creator leads I shall follow.

MATTAN : very well then, we shall leave for now. (signals to the people to leave).

THE PEOPLE : (leaving for their homes). long live the creator! Long live the king! Long live creator! Long live the king!

A minute after the people had left the royal court, the five scholars approached the king.

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 1 : my king, the kingdom is surely at a critical moment in it's history. Grant us a meeting with you. (bows).

KING : I was about to say the same thing. Indeed we need a meeting. I will call you when I am ready. I have to take a rest. (signals for all the to leave the royal court).

The three friends were walking home through a different route after visiting the king.

ZADOK : it was like a dream when I saw the king helpless right before us. If not for Mattan, I would have unleashed my wrath on that corrupt and condescending fool. Our authority is confirmed.

ACHIM : I was glad when we stabbed and killed the general. He was so full of himself. I can't wait for our next meeting with the king. It's only a matter of time before we start earning our ten percent.

MATTAN : of course, that shall be in the new constitution. The people wouldn't mind when they start reaping steadily. We have to not get over excited for there is more to do. I observed that the king and some scholars were not buying into our bullshit but I don't care about the scholars, the king's allegiance is very important and advantageous. There is indeed more to be done.
Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by Martinez19(m): 2:14pm On Jan 12, 2019
I have all chapters sorted out but I am taking a few days break. Thank you. grin
Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by Martinez19(m): 7:20am On Jan 15, 2019

CHAPTER EIGHT : setting up Mattan to fail.

There has never been a time like this, a time when the king was limited in control and had to play along with the people for the fear of losing his throne or even being killed. The people, for now, had formed a structure where the three friends were the new kings(unofficially) with a greater power and control over the people. The king would not back down easily as he sort to salvage the people from the blasphemy of the three friends and return the people back to their former ways for both sincere and political reasons. Two days after Mattan's confrontation, he ordered the five scholars to present themselves for a secret meeting in his inner chamber to discuss his goal. The meeting took place in the morning.

KING : I am at lost on this issue and I have called you here for us to figure out how to get rid of the blasphemy in our land. I believe you guys are on the same page with me since I noticed you all were not awestruck at the blasphemy from the cursed mouth of Mattan. Are you guys for him?

ALL SCHOLARS : No our Lord.

KING : I am delighted to hear that I have people on my side and not just that, they are the best brains in the land. How do you suppose we deal with Mattan and expose him?

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 1 : it's simple but hard. Mattan ideas, though not true, are original and have taken the masses by storm. Soldiers, former priests, the people, the royal family except the king and elites are now among his followers. Why don't we attempt to assassinate him?

KING : well, luckily for me Jothem is still loyal to me even though he now pretends to join them in order to act as my spy. Jothem told me that the three friends are heavily guarded by the soldiers and an assassination would be almost impossible. It's too risky because if I fail, they would trace it me and that would mean death for me. Is there anything else that can be done?

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 2 : our main enemy here are not the three friends but a belief system that has captured the mind of the people. All that matters to the human mind is conviction. It doesn't matter whether there is evidence or not, once the human mind is convinced of something, there is nothing one can do to stop it from acting out on what it is convinced of. If we can plant doubts in their minds about their belief system, we can beat the three friends. How about that your highness?

KING : well, wouldn't that be a red flag? Questioning and doubting their beliefs is a sin to them for the obvious reason of keeping them bound to their beliefs. They would kill us if we started questioning their beliefs and countering it?

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 2 : that's true my king, their emotions and stupidity are ahead of them in this aspect and they've left no room for critical thinking. We shall be wise and strategic about it.

KING : how do you suppose we go about that?

ALL SCHOLARS : (silent for thirty seconds and look at each other for answers).

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 3 : (finally speaks out) what if we set them up to fail and when they do, we emphasis on that failure to tarnish their creator's image? If that can be done, then the friends are in trouble.

KING : how can we do that?

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 3 : remember, your grace, that we have a war with the Edenians in the next two days over who shall own the Palyesan land and Kochal peninsula. We shall call Mattan and act like we are for his creator and we shall ask him to give us the creator's blessings and predict if his creator shall deliver a great victory for us. Of course, we shall be defeated given that we are outnumbered; they have better weapons and horses and our soldiers are bothering themselves with Mattan's ideas instead of preparing for battle but Mattan doesn't know this information.

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 4 : after going through Mattan's ideas for the past four days, I know that he is indeed a man of excuses and cunning ways. To make it more tempting, unsuspecting and inescapable for him, we shall call the people together on that day of war but before that, we give out false information that the Edenians are outnumbered by our soldiers and we are superior in all aspects. We shall make it look like there is a 100% chance of winning. Rather than resort to excuses, he will be tempted to prophesy and proclaim, based on our false information, that his creator shall grant us victory. He will be so tempted to do so in hope that when we win, which we will not, he would have his "I told you so" moment and further bind the people to himself. We shall take advantage of his lust for power and deceitful ways.

KING : (very glad) a very good idea indeed. I shall pounce on him when he fails and tear him to shreds. I just hope this plan cannot fail for I can't wait to behead the three crooks for challenging my sovereignty.

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 1 : my Lord, Mattan will most likely fall into our trap for it is in the mind of a crooked prophet to capitalise on what outcome seems very very likely and speak about that outcome with certainty while claiming it was revealed to him. Such instances are golden opportunities for crooked prophets as it helps in building their credibility and that's the time when they speak with certainty rather than vague words and you can clearly hold them responsible if their prophecies fail. This is how Mattan is sure to act. He won't see this coming. When he fails, we shall pounce on him and emphasis on his failure and that of his creator and plant doubts in the people's minds.

KING : (excited) indeed. If he falls, I shall have no mercy. Who is in charge disseminating military information to the public?

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 5 : (stands and bows to the king) I am my lord since the General was brutally murdered.

KING : very well then, you shall speak to Mattan this evening and tell him that there is a battle and you need the soldiers to fight. Make sure he thinks that you believe in his creator.

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 5 : I shall do that my Lord. (bows).

KING : also do not forget to spread the misinformation that our troops are certain to win and that there's nothing to fear. Anything else before we call it a day?

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 3 : my king, though we have a good plan that would must likely work and wouldn't turn the people against us if Mattan doesn't fall as we want him, what about our soldiers that are going to die because we are trying to test Mattan? It is a suicide mission for them, you know my Lord?

KING : why would I care about those traitors?

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 5 : my Lord, I think he is concerned about how we shall replace the fallen soldiers. We need not worry since there are able-bodied men in the lower class. We must hope our plan succeeds lest we be replacing idiots with another set of idiots.

KING : I hope so too. Any plan B incase this doesn't work?

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 1 : coming up plan B won't be hard but let us focus on this first plan for time is short.

KING : very well then, go and carry out my instructions. That's enough for today, you may all leave.

ALL SCHOLARS : (stand up, bow and leave the king's inner chamber).

On their way out, the scholars had a short discussion of their own.

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 4 : did you listen when the king said that Mattan was protected by soldiers? Why would a priest of the most powerful and all loving creator need soldiers to protect him?

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 2 : that's because Mattan knows his creator doesn't exist? That should be a red flag to his sheeples that something is wrong, why don't they see that?

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 1 : they don't see it as a red flag because of their unparalleled stvpidity. Such will repeat itself from generations to generations because stvpid genes begat stvpid people. It's the same reason why they never asked Mattan for evidences of his claims. Mattan was guilty of commiting logical fallacies during the clash in the royal court two days ago.

ATHEIST SCHOLAR 4 : the indoctrination of their silly offspring won't help matters. Let's quit talking and go do the king's biddings.

ALL SCHOLARS : (go their separate ways).

The fifth scholar, whose name is Maron, went to Mattan that same evening to inform him about upcoming war and he thought it best to relay to Mattan the likely outcome of the battle rather than inform the people first. He did it for a purpose and it worked.

MARON : (enters Mattan's house). you guys are surely well guarded. I had to overcome the suspicious eyes of the crowd; make it clear to them that I am for the creator and endure being searched by your fierce guards.

ZADOK : what do you what?

MARON : I came to ask for you priests to persuade the soldiers to gather and fight because we have a war in two days against the Edenians over the ownership of the great Palyesan land and Kochal peninsula.

MATTAN : what are likelihood of the we coming out on top?

MARON : 100%

MATTAN : have you shared this information with the people yet?

MARON : no.

MATTAN : (closes his eyes and pretends that he got a revelation. He then lies). what a time to be alive in the history of our kind that not only has the creator revealed himself, he has also orchestrated a great victory for his people to show them his might. I shall address the people myself and tell them the victory that the creator has orchestrated for his people. In fact it was revealed to me, this morning, by the creator that there was a victory in war coming in the next two days. Isn't that so?

ZADOK & ACHIM : of course!

MARON : (not buying the lie but had to play along) indeed ye are mighty priests of a great creator.

MATTAN : you may leave. We shall handle sharing the information to the people.

MARON : be sure to inform the king on that day about what the creator has done for him. (bows and leaves)

THE THREE FRIENDS : we will.

MARON : (leaves).

After meeting the three friends and walking back home, Maron, delighted, thought to himself.

MARON : (thinking to himself) I have you where I want and the king shall pounce upon you in no time. How shall you escape from this now that you have fallen?
Re: The Origin Of Madness : The Three Smart Crooks by budaatum: 5:47pm On Jul 14, 2020
Jonathan:
Why should I read this?
Why should you read at all?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Without Jesus, You Shall Die In Your Sins. / Meet The Man Who Composed Most Songs Sang In Catholic Church In Nigeria / Nigerian Churches Have Been Exposed By Coronavirus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 243
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.