Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,927 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

Why Must Christians Suffer? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Must Christians Suffer? (1812 Views)

The Basic Reasons Why Christians Suffer Today / "Jonathan Will Suffer Massive Disgrace In 2015" - Prophet Marcus Korede Tibetan / Why Do Nigerian Christians Suffer?: Telling Nigerian Pastors Some Home Truths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Must Christians Suffer? by matoyeh(m): 5:09pm On Aug 09, 2010
In this world, Christ's followers experience persecution and trials. Jesus explained to His disciples why they should respond to mistreatment with love, kindness and good works. Understanding God's purpose for us is crucial in facing life's difficulties. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Jenwitemi(m): 5:37pm On Aug 09, 2010
You ask, " why must christians suffer?". I ask, " why must humanity as a whole suffer?"
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 9:47am On Aug 10, 2010

In this world, Christ's followers experience persecution and trials. Jesus explained to His disciples why they should respond to mistreatment with love, kindness and good works. Understanding God's purpose for us is crucial in facing life's difficulties.

Trials are our opportunities to prove our love for God. It is a suffering of joy. not of sorrow.

Ac 5:41
And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.

Jas 1:2
¶ My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

when persecutions rise up against a christian, its is a proof that you are making an impact. Persecution and attacks comes in different forms : verbally or physically.

Lu 6:26
Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! ,

It is christians that are not making any impact the devil leaves alone because hes got them already.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by MyJoe: 1:23pm On Aug 10, 2010
Joagbaje:

Trials are our opportunities to prove our love for God. It is a suffering of joy. not of sorrow.
What about "trials" experienced by non-Christians? I sincerely want to know what you think of those.

Joagbaje:
Ac 5:41
And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.

Jas 1:2
¶ My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

when persecutions rise up against a christian, its is a proof that you are making an impact. Persecution and attacks comes in different forms : verbally or physically.

Lu 6:26
Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! ,

A Christian may experience persecution because:
-  People don't like his religious activities and want to stop him
-  He broke the law like anyone, for example, he stole a goat
-  Wicked people who think evil all the time decide to fight him, either because of his ethnicity, family or something similar.

A human rights activist who is an Ogun devotee may suffer persecution because:
-  The dictator du jour don't don't like his peaceful protest activities and want to stop him
-  Wicked people who think evil all the time decide to fight him, either because of his ethnicity, family or something similar.

Given the above, how true is your submission above?

Joagbaje:
It is christians that are not making any impact the devil leaves alone because hes got them already.
Are we to take it that those Christians who go through life, just like some non-Christians, with relative ease - started primary school at five or six, entered university at eighteen, graduated at 23, got a job with Mobil at 24, married at 28, got two kids, travels the world, like his food and generally enjoys life. No major health palavar, no family hassles, no robbery attack. Retires at 70 to a mansion in his country home. Lives happily for the remainder of his days - do so because the devil is happy with them for being on his side already?
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Zikkyy(m): 2:59pm On Aug 10, 2010
Joagbaje:

If they are hanging with the devil, then they are no longer Christians. Are you saying all Christians must suffer?
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:08pm On Aug 10, 2010
matoyeh:

In this world, Christ's followers experience persecution and trials. Jesus explained to His disciples why they should respond to mistreatment with love, kindness and good works. Understanding God's purpose for us is crucial in facing life's difficulties. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

This article answers the question why Christians suffer, that is if they are really Christians.

God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life.

It is true that God loves you, but you decide if His plan is "wonderful."  If you have heard that happiness comes through Jesus Christ, you may like to think again.  The first thing Jesus said of the Apostle Paul (who wrote most of the New Testament) was that He would show him "how great things he must suffer for (His) name's sake.1  Three times Paul was beaten with rods, once he was stoned, three times he suffered shipwreck, a night and a day he spent in the sea.2   There were times when Paul was so unhappy, he wanted to die.  The Bible says, "All who live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."3  It says we enter the Kingdom of God through much distress,4 and that we were appointed to afflictions.5

Jesus said if we followed Him we would be reviled, persecuted, hated, and all manner of evil would be said against us falsely, for His sake.  He warned that we would have to take up our cross daily, deny ourselves and follow Him, saying, "In the world you shall have tribulation," and even that we may be called to die for our faith.6

My wife once spoke to a young man who had believed alluring television advertisements and joined the navy to see the world; and what did he see?  He saw the sea . . . and found nothing but hard work.  Now he couldn't wait to leave the navy.  If they had been honest in their advertising, the navy may not have got as many recruits, but at least the ones they did get would be committed, rather than deserters at heart.

I have told you the truth about Christianity.  Oh . . . I forgot to mention one thing along with the trials comes "the gift of God" . . .everlasting life!7  The Apostle Paul lost everything for the sake of his faith, and said that compared to what he had found in Jesus Christ, all the riches of this world were nothing but "dung."8

If you are interested in your eternal salvation, with a tender conscience, answer the following:  Have you ever lied, hated, lusted, stolen, committed adultery, had sex outside of marriage (or desired to)?  Have you kept the Sabbath holy, always honoured your parents, have you put God first in your affections, have you blasphemed His name (using it to curse), have you made a god to suit yourself (been guilty of "idolatry"making a god in your own image)?

If you have broken even one of those Ten Commandments, then you have "sinned against God."  On Judgment Day you will be found to be guilty.  Forget any thought of a "wonderful plan" without God's mercy, you will go to Hell.  Unless you repent, you will perish.9  God doesn't ask you to consider His plan for your life, He commands you to repent.10  When Jesus died on the cross, He took the punishment which was due to you and me for our sins.  In doing so, He satisfied the demands of Eternal Justice, and at the same time He demonstrated how much God loves us.  If you repent and put your faith in Jesus, God will forgive your sins and grant you the gift of everlasting life.  Don't say you will "give it some thought"instead obey the command.

If you stepped into a courtroom and offered to pay a £50,000 fine I couldn't pay, what an insult it would be for me to say I would give your offer of help "some thought."  Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, then by the grace of God hold on, because you have just begun the "abundant life" you are going to be busy swimming upstream against the world (with all its sinful pleasures), the flesh (your sinful nature) and the devil (you'll find out about him).  Read the Bible daily, obey what you read, and you will never fail.

For further reading Foxes Book of Martyrs (at your Christian bookstore).

Bible references:

1. Acts 9:16     
2. 2 Corinthians 1:8     
3. 2 Timothy 3:12     
4. Acts 14:22     
5. 1 Thessalonians 3:3       

6. Matthew 24:9     
7. Romans 6:23     
8. Philippians 3:8     
9. Luke 13:3     
10. Acts 17:30
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by italo: 11:44am On Aug 11, 2010
There are many so-called "christians" in our midst who don't believe they should suffer. They only listen to people who tell them about prosperity and they go to where they feel they can get "miracles" for every affliction. They claim every (seemingly)good thing and for every (seemingly)bad thing, they say "it's not my portion". Well, some don't even say the 'Our Father' so how will they come across the part that says "thy will be done"?
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Onchedu(m): 1:31pm On Aug 11, 2010
Read Ur Bible U will understand why.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by italo: 3:47am On Aug 12, 2010
I have always read my Bible. And I have always known why.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 4:53am On Aug 12, 2010
MyJoe:

What about "trials" experienced by non-Christians? I sincerely want to know what you think of those.

the trial experienced by non Christians are not the same with a beleiver because they are not in the faith. A Christian trial is a spiritual one . That is why it is called "the trial of faith"

1 Peter 1:7
7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

-  The dictator du jour don't don't like his peaceful protest activities and want to stop him

Are we to take it that those Christians who go through life, just like some non-Christians, with relative ease - started primary school at five or six, entered university at eighteen, graduated at 23, got a job with Mobil at 24, married at 28, got two kids, travels the world, like his food and generally enjoys life. No major health palavar, no family hassles, no robbery attack. Retires at 70 to a mansion in his country home. Lives happily for the remainder of his days - do so because the devil is happy with them for being on his side already?

The trial of a non christian has no blessing or any spiritual impact .The Christian trial is an act of benevolence from God. It is for two reasons:
1. An opportunity To prove his faith and love to God.
2. An opportunity to be blessed by God and promoted .
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 5:03am On Aug 12, 2010
MyJoe:

the trial experienced by non Christians are not the same with a beleiver because they are not in the faith. A Christian trial is a spiritual one . That is why it is called "the trial of faith"

1 Peter 1:7
7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

The trial of a non christian has no blessing or any spiritual impact .The Christian trial is an act of benevolence from God. It is for two reasons:
1. An opportunity To prove his faith and love to God.
2. An opportunity to be blessed by God and promoted .

James 1:2
2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

The trials of a natural man has no spiritual blessing . Neither a spiritual promise.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 5:22am On Aug 12, 2010
@zikkyy,

Quote from: Joagbaje on August 10, 2010, 09:47 AM
It is christians that are not making any impact the devil leaves alone because he's got them already.

Zikkyy:

If they are hanging with the devil, then they are no longer Christians. Are you saying all Christians must suffer?

God didnt  call us into "suffer head" There is difference between suffering persecution and trials and suffering poverty and sickness. If a man is experiencing suffer head, it is due to his ignorance because Jesus has paid the price for such .
A Christian trial is like the 3rd term exam in primary school. It is called "promotion examination"  The student's focus is not in the labour and toll of the hours of writing but in the joy of going to a higher class. And that joy becomes his motivation.

2 Corinthians 4:17
17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding[ and] eternal weight of glory;18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen[ are] temporal; but the things which are not seen[ are] eternal.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 5:34am On Aug 12, 2010
Zikky ,
I forgot to add this in answer to your question

Quote from: Zikkyy on August 10, 2010, 02:59 PM
. Are you saying all Christians must suffer?

The answer is yes. A Christian that is not experiencing persecution is merely existing, and not yet living. He towing carefully not to rock the boat of life. But when you wake up to what you are called to be and live for something. Persecution must rise against you From family , friends , media and NL

2 Timothy 3:12
12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Zikkyy(m): 9:13pm On Aug 12, 2010
Joagbaje:

The answer is yes. A Christian that is not experiencing persecution is merely existing, and not yet living. He towing carefully not to rock the boat of life.

If you say all Christians must suffer, then the group of people you describe above does not qualify to be called Christians. Dats the point am trying to pass across here. Or are now saying there are exceptions?

Joagbaje:

Persecution must rise against you From family , friends , media and NL

Interesting  grin  I guess you must be referring to Joagbaje here
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 6:49am On Aug 13, 2010
Zikkyy:

If you say all Christians must suffer, then the group of people you describe above does not qualify to be called Christians. Dats the point am trying to pass across here. Or are now saying there are exceptions?

I get your point, but my own point is that being born again is not an end, it's only a beginning. Every man is born for a purpose.  He ought to live for that purpose. Many due to ignorance are unaware there is a special purpose to lay hold on. Others knows the purpose but they seem to be counting the cost. It's like some individuals that says things like: " I know that God is calling me, several people have confirm it to me that God wants to use me, but I'm still running" The issue is when a man decides to stand for his purpose, life will fight him, family and friends sometimes.

Interesting  grin  I guess you must be referring to Joagbaje here

Matthew 10:36
36 And a man's foes[ shall be] they of his own household
No o, all the names of churches and ministers of the gospel  ever attacked on NL , is a form of persecution, that's what I mean.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by nuclearboy(m): 7:36am On Aug 13, 2010
Joagbaje:

God didnt  call us into "suffer head" There is difference between suffering persecution and trials and suffering poverty and sickness. If a man is experiencing suffer head, it is due to his ignorance because Jesus has paid the price for such .

Sad that the Apostle Paul (whom you follow) suffered a thorn in his flesh. I imagine that if he'd waited till now to come to earth, you'd have taught him how to avoid that thorn. Baby-teeth Apostle Paul who didn't know such a thorn was rubbish that he could have cancelled as easy as saying "I claim it in Jesus Name". Yet the funny Paul thought he was a servant of God even though he was poor and sick.

Sad also that Jesus didn't have a place to lay His Head and promised same to His followers. If God had just remembered to create "Joagbaje" just prior to that time, you'd have taught the Lord that all He had to do was name and claim mansions for everybody - all He had to do was sell miracles and collect tithes, wasn't it? And imagine all those needy Christians whom the Apostles took offerings for - they were just greedy people who had all they wanted yet insisted Christ's Men should make them millionaires - I hear they really liked eating free food.

Anyway, all the above were passing persecutions and trials, not poverty and sickness - normally, Jesus lived in a mansion and was served breakfast, lunch and dinner in bed by any of His 200 Servants. And of course, Paul the Apostle used to play football, basketball and hockey for Israel - thats how strong he was physically.

Hogwash
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 7:43am On Aug 13, 2010
So what's your point?.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by nuclearboy(m): 7:57am On Aug 13, 2010
Christianity has nothing to do with suffering and/or poverty. The payment Christ made was for Heaven not earth. Christians can truly be wealthy but that is not bound to the belief system. Rather it is dependant on luck, hardwork and God's particular purpose for the individual. Thats why we have such as Solomon yet such as collections were taken for. Also Jesus said - the poor will always be amongst you- and He was not speaking to those who hated Him but people who believed Him.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 8:28am On Aug 13, 2010
So you believe in suffer head. No wonder you were begging for laptop. I've told you stop posting your ignorance on Nairaland. There is nothing like luck . We live by faith . There are spiritual laws that governs our lives. God didn't call any Christian into poverty and sickness. You need to start reading rhapsody .So why did Jesus come then?. To produce more Lazarus?

2 Corinthians 8:9
9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Zikkyy(m): 9:12am On Aug 13, 2010
After eliminating poverty and sickness from the equation, I guess your own interpretation of suffering would amount to someone who is unjustly accused, beaten and thrown in jail.

Joagbaje:

No o, all the names of churches and ministers of the gospel  ever attacked on NL , is a form of persecution, that's what I mean.

But you do know ministers and churches are rarely persecuted for being Christians or preaching the gospel. On the contrary, the attack on ministers here in NL and elsewhere is usually for their un-Christ-like behaviors, sermons e.t.c Christians are more likely to suffer the kind of persecution you talk about in a region new to Christianity. Secondly, such attack are usually directed at the ministers and not the congregation, so I will say I was a bit bothered when you noted in your post that it’s compulsory for all Christians to go through such experience.

Joagbaje:

but my own point is that being born again is not an end, it's only a beginning. Every man is born for a purpose.  He ought to live for that purpose.

Okay, but do we have to go through the process of being unjustly attacked, beaten up or jailed to achieve that purpose. A good number of Christians live a society where freedom of expression is allowed (and Christianity is very much accepted), so a lot of people are not likely to get that unjust treatment. What do you advise they do in such situation? 

Joagbaje:

You need to start reading rhapsody .

grin grin

Joagbaje:

God didn't call any Christian into poverty and sickness. 

Seriously Jo, if you say all Christians are meant to be rich (material wealth), why are most Christians poor? You are yet to provide an answer Jo.  Maybe you can also provide the standard for measuring this prosperity (material wealth) you talk about.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by nuclearboy(m): 9:14am On Aug 13, 2010
@Zikky my Bro:

Long time. How now?

@Joagbaje:

"Morever, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work -this is a gift of God" Eccl 5:19

It is a gift not a right! Does everyone get the same gifts? Before you answer, think!

"I have seen something else under the sun: the race is not to the swift, or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise, or wealth to the brilliant, or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all" Eccl 9:11

Time and Chance (luck) not "name and claim"

"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven" a time to be born and a time to die, a , , , . ., a time to weep and a time to laugh, , " Eccl 3:1

"Moreover, no man knows when his time will come" Eccl 9:12(a)

Combine Eccl 3:1 and Eccl 9:12 together and what do you get? There is apparently also a time to be rich and a time to be poor (since all things have a time) AND no man knows his OWN time. Confess and claim all you want - its rubbish. Time and chance are determined by God, not by you and the combination of time and chance are what is called "luck".

"sufferhead" as you call it is what Christians better than you faced that made the Apostles of Christ gather offerings for them. If you feel they were wrong, fine. The Apostles obviously didn't know as much as you, to your thinking, which is why they didn't shout at them to claim and become rich. And why do you have poor people in your church anyway since all are called into wealth? why are your members stealing society blind so chris embassy can pay for satellite coverage and chris can fry his hair? Or is he broiling it now? Why did the bank staff take 60 million? Was it because they were so rich they had NO money?

I am rich Joagbaje. SPIRITUALLY. In the flesh, I can give you what chris gives you but won't knowing I would only be supporting the laziness and sloth that made you his lackey in the first place. But I am not rich physically. All I have is held in trust for Christ and while I drive a nice vehicle, it belongs to me because He gave it to me. Thus it is not me that is rich but HIM in me. That is the wealth the Scripture talks of - what is truly available for God not what you siphon off innocent people in the name of God and use for yourself. Think - if you had a life, would you need the trappings of wealth, position and power to make yourself look good? No, because you would know you have real life. But because you're empty, decaying, stinking, you need to cover up with protestations and allusions to "blessings". A white-washed sepulchre, Christ called you!

But resembling who, slowpoke? Moses, the wealthy "god" of his people? Enoch who walked with God? Elijah, the fiery prophet? Isaiah, who saw visions that scared him? Jonah, who lived in a fish? David, who wanted to give all to God and was TOLD not to? Malachi, who rebuked the priests? Jesus HIMSELF, who had no place to lay His Head? Peter, the poor fisherman? Stephen, stoned to death for his testimony? Paul, who boasted in his infirmity and poverty? James, who said its not just mouth (as you do) but actions (which you run from)? John, banished to solitude on an island because of Christ yet gave a WEALTH (do you see what wealth can mean now?) of prophecy because of that?

OR

the Pharisees, the Sanhedrin, who had the high places, the adulation of men and "togetherness" against the truth as long as it brought them money, position, fame and the ears of Pilate thought they were slaves?

Dude, thats all you are - a slave to chris! Do you dare to say he's wrong about anything? ANYTHING? Hunger will kill you if you do cos you sold yourself out! Or you wish to say he's perfect? You're just so easy to upturn. Empty brain, mighty tummy. Worshipper of food and a lackey!

Meanwhile, knowing you're a certified idiot and not wanting to insult you further, let me only briefly remind you that I never begged for anything from ogoamaka99. He offered in the same spirit of pride with which you postulate then cannot defend. My whole point in accepting his "fake" offer was to prove he was lying and it was achieved. The dude has tried to come back a couple of times but he had been exposed so he is always ignored or shown the hole in his head. I won't be suprised if he has a new id now on NL. At least, he has shame unlike you and for that, I give him credit. You are too far gone, it seems.  Keep sucking chris and lets see where you'll be in just three years time.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Zikkyy(m): 9:41am On Aug 13, 2010
nuclearboy:

@Zikky my Bro:

Long time. How now?

Bros, i dey ooo. Work wahala no dey allow me see road some times.

nuclearboy:

Jonah, who lived in a fish? David, who wanted to give all to God and was TOLD not to? Malachi, who rebuked the priests? Jesus HIMSELF, who had no place to lay His Head? Peter, the poor fisherman? Stephen, stoned to death for his testimony? Paul, who boasted in his infirmity and poverty? James, who said its not just mouth (as you do) but actions (which you run from)? John, banished to solitude on an island because of Christ

How come we don’t have G.Os/Bishops/MOGs that can lay claim to such suffering? I am sure they rejoice at the attack they receive here on NL. Afterall they don get their share of the persecution be that na. abi? They can happily boast of being persecuted for doing Christ’s work. The kind of attack they receive on NL is what I’ll call ‘milk teeth’ persecution,  grin  grin  grin abi Jo you no agree?  grin
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:44am On Aug 13, 2010
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 11:41am On Aug 13, 2010
nuclearboy:

Sad that the Apostle Paul (whom you follow) suffered a thorn in his flesh. I imagine that if he'd waited till now to come to earth, you'd have taught him how to avoid that thorn. Baby-teeth Apostle Paul who didn't know such a thorn was rubbish that he could have cancelled as easy as saying "I claim it in Jesus Name". Yet the funny Paul thought he was a servant of God even though he was poor and sick.

What do you suppose paul's torn in the flesh was? His torn in the flesh were simply the persecutions that were demonically stirred against him.

Sad also that Jesus didn't have a place to lay His Head and promised same to His followers. If God had just remembered to create "Joagbaje" just prior to that time, you'd have taught the Lord that all He had to do was name and claim mansions for everybody -

Jesus had home, it was only when he was rejected in samaria that he didn't have a place (there) But he had his own house.

John 1:38-39
38 Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi,( which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou? 39 He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 2:50pm On Aug 13, 2010
Zikkyy,

Zikkyy:

After eliminating poverty and sickness from the equation, I guess your own interpretation of suffering would amount to someone who is unjustly accused, beaten and thrown in jail.

Yes youre right.God can not put on us what Jesus christ had died for and delivered us from. Sickness and poverty is from Satan . He preys on people's ignorance to afflict them.

But you do know ministers and churches are rarely persecuted for being Christians or preaching the gospel. On the contrary, the attack on ministers here in NL and elsewhere is usually for their un-Christ-like behaviors, sermons e.t.c

Every persecution has good motives. The Pharisees believed they were right too. Calling truth heresy.  But there is a difference between criminal offence. If it is an offence against state , the state should handle him. He committed an offence as a citizen. The judicial system  is there. That is not persecution.

Christians are more likely to suffer the kind of persecution you talk about in a region new to Christianity. Secondly, such attack are usually directed at the ministers and not the congregation, so I will say I was a bit bothered when you noted in your post that it’s compulsory for all Christians to go through such experience.

Your statement is not correct here. When a man beats wife for going to church , what do you call it?. When a father stop paying school fees because the son or daughter  got saved and left catholic church for a bible teaching church what do you call it? When your family , colleague gang against you. Just to mention few out of millions.

Okay, but do we have to go through the process of being unjustly attacked, beaten up or jailed to achieve that purpose. A good number of Christians live a society where freedom of expression is allowed (and Christianity is very much accepted), so a lot of people are not likely to get that unjust treatment. What do you advise they do in such situation?

We don't have to land in jail to be persecuted. There are different forms of persecutions. When they hold family meeting on you head, call you names. All these are persecution. When someone for no reason just don't like you for your "fanatism" it's a form of persecution. The higher you go, the tougher the persecution.

Seriously Jo, if you say all Christians are meant to be rich (material wealth), why are most Christians poor? You are yet to provide an answer Jo.  Maybe you can also provide the standard for measuring this prosperity (material wealth) you talk about. 

Nobody says it is a must for Christian to be rich. But it important for them to know what belongs to them. they still have a choice to embrace the message or not.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Thor(m): 2:54pm On Aug 13, 2010
Suffering is a man made invention which in the past was used to control the masses and basically give a meaning to peoples sh1t mundane lives.  undecided undecided
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by matoyeh(m): 2:57pm On Aug 13, 2010

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Thor(m): 3:10pm On Aug 13, 2010
If you had thousands of people slaving for a dictator, living a hard brutal life and receiving nothing in return, what story would have you invented.

You were meant to suffer, so carry on doing what we order you to do, it will all be better when you are dead and of no more use to us, you will go to a place called heaven, LMAO grin grin grin

Problem is the church has not really updated the fairy story in the past 2,000 years, but people are waking up to the stupidity and realize that this exploitation of the masses is coming to an end angry angry
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by newmi(m): 3:27pm On Aug 13, 2010
nuclearboy:

"Morever, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work -this is a gift of God" Eccl 5:19

It is a gift not a right! Does everyone get the same gifts? Before you answer, think!

"I have seen something else under the sun: the race is not to the swift, or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise, or wealth to the brilliant, or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all" Eccl 9:11

"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven" a time to be born and a time to die, a , , , . ., a time to weep and a time to laugh, , " Eccl 3:1

Combine Eccl 3:1 and Eccl 9:12 together and what do you get? There is apparently also a time to be rich and a time to be poor (since all things have a time) AND no man knows his OWN time. Confess and claim all you want - its rubbish. Time and chance are determined by God, not by you and the combination of time and chance are what is called "luck".

"sufferhead" as you call it is what Christians better than you faced that made the Apostles of Christ gather offerings for them. If you feel they were wrong, fine. The Apostles obviously didn't know as much as you, to your thinking, which is why they didn't shout at them to claim and become rich. And why do you have poor people in your church anyway since all are called into wealth? why are your members stealing society blind so chris embassy can pay for satellite coverage and chris can fry his hair? Or is he broiling it now? Why did the bank staff take 60 million? Was it because they were so rich they had NO money?

I am rich Joagbaje. SPIRITUALLY. In the flesh, I can give you what chris gives you but won't knowing I would only be supporting the laziness and sloth that made you his lackey in the first place. But I am not rich physically. All I have is held in trust for Christ and while I drive a nice vehicle, it belongs to me because He gave it to me. Thus it is not me that is rich but HIM in me. That is the wealth the Scripture talks of - what is truly available for God not what you siphon off innocent people in the name of God and use for yourself. Think - if you had a life, would you need the trappings of wealth, position and power to make yourself look good? No, because you would know you have real life. But because you're empty, decaying, stinking, you need to cover up with protestations and allusions to "blessings". A white-washed sepulchre, Christ called you!

But resembling who, slowpoke? Moses, the wealthy "god" of his people? Enoch who walked with God? Elijah, the fiery prophet? Isaiah, who saw visions that scared him? Jonah, who lived in a fish? David, who wanted to give all to God and was TOLD not to? Malachi, who rebuked the priests? Jesus HIMSELF, who had no place to lay His Head? Peter, the poor fisherman? Stephen, stoned to death for his testimony? Paul, who boasted in his infirmity and poverty? James, who said its not just mouth (as you do) but actions (which you run from)? John, banished to solitude on an island because of Christ yet gave a WEALTH (do you see what wealth can mean now?) of prophecy because of that?

OR

the Pharisees, the Sanhedrin, who had the high places, the adulation of men and "togetherness" against the truth as long as it brought them money, position, fame and the ears of Pilate thought they were slaves?

Dude, thats all you are - a slave to chris! Do you dare to say he's wrong about anything? ANYTHING? Hunger will kill you if you do cos you sold yourself out! Or you wish to say he's perfect? You're just so easy to upturn. Empty brain, mighty tummy. Worshipper of food and a lackey!

Meanwhile, knowing you're a certified and not wanting to insult you further, let me only briefly remind you that I never begged for anything from ogoamaka99. He offered in the same spirit of pride with which you postulate then cannot defend. My whole point in accepting his "fake" offer was to prove he was lying and it was achieved. The dude has tried to come back a couple of times but he had been exposed so he is always ignored or shown the hole in his head. I won't be suprised if he has a new id now on NL. At least, he has shame unlike you and for that, I give him credit. You are too far gone, it seems.  Keep sucking chris and lets see where you'll be in just three years time.

For God sake where is this man coming from?
If you don't understand who and what it means to be referred to as being a christian then l frankly would suggess that you should be humble enough to say, and summit yourself to the gracious opportunity this brilliant idea called "nairaland offers" and learn, remember ignorance is darkness.

The very first thing is to understand, clearly spell out and define the identity of the christian, because if you don't know who you are people are oblarged to tell you who you are  not.

The christian is an upspring of God Himself by virtue of the new birth in Christ Jesus (1John 4:4)"Ye are of <ek> God, little children, and have overcome them because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world".

it's important we note the use of the word "of" which is translated form the Grk word "ek", which is a primary preposition denoting origin (the point whence action or motion proceeds), from, out (of place, time, or cause

the origin of the christian is God and his/her experiences are by design same as those of his origin. The focus here is not on a christian being poor, sick, famous or wealthy lets not deviate. The focus is on christians experiencing persecutions and trials, which could be anything but our concern is what numenclature do we give and from what pespective do we view it.

Trials and persecutions for the "man" whose origin is God (christian) has nothing to do with sufferring at all, it would be an eronously misleading notion for anyone to hold on to any atom of an idea that even suggesses such possibilies, then God in all  the infintude of His wisdom would be remiss and wicked.

That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ. (1 peter 1:7)

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God. (Zac 13:9)

For thou, O God, hast proved us: thou hast tried us, as silver is tried. (Psalm 66:10)

Well l think this portion of scripture explains it more for anyone  who sincerely seeks to know the truth about christian trials and persecutions
1 ¶ Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:
2 Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth
4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:
5 ¶ Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:
6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you
7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ
9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power
10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.
11 ¶ Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power
1Th 1:3; 2Th 1:5
12 That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Thessalonians 1:7-12)

The word translated "troubled" here in verse 1 is from the Grk word "thlibo", which means  to crowd (literally or figuratively):--afflict, suffer tribulation, trouble.

So if were to paraphrase for better understanding, the Apostle was invariably adddressing those who are "Sufferring Tribulations" and are "afflicted" not as sufferring in terms of sorrow but as a result of their continuous insisting on their convictions in that which they have come to believe in Christ Jesus which of necessity and according to promise comes with great reward
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by nuclearboy(m): 5:49pm On Aug 13, 2010
@newmi:

Seems you read my post without considering the conversation that came prior to it. I suggest you do that. My post was in answer to the idea that Christians should be rich on earth if they know what they are doing. I say wealth just like children, good health etc are of God. Yet the Bible documents Christians who did not have these things and God does not have a problem with it.

Joagbaje proposes a Gospel that rewards people on earth - say it and its yours, come to Christ for the money, Victory is your right! That is wrong any which way you want to look at it. Battles are not always to the Strongest as we saw with David and Goliath. And wealth is not always to children of God as we see in the New Testament - the people the Apostles took collections for were poor people. Were they not Christians? Why didn't Peter, Paul etc tell them "rise and claim it"? Why did they accept it as normal and ask that the church take weekly offerings as each person felt led by the Spirit?

The word "weekly" shows it was normal. That they took offering for them shows they were "needy", not rich like pastor jo says must be. That they didn't condemn it show they accepted it as NOT a problem with God. That we're arguing about it shows what about us? One person believes, like the Apostles of Christ. The other? make your claim!

Trials and Persecutions are NOT treated in my post because Joagbaje turned the entire issue into a money based issue!
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 6:02pm On Aug 13, 2010
Nuclearboy,
I understand your frustration.But let me try my best to help your understudying. Even though I'm wondering where to start from in this your big empty revelation.

nuclearboy:

@Joagbaje:

Yes everyone got the same gift of salvation . Health , success, righteousness and prosperity are all in that gift of salvation. Every baaaadiii.

"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven" a time to be born and a time to die, a ,  ,  ,  . ., a time to weep and a time to laugh, ,  " Eccl 3:1

Stop your boyishness . We don't steal. We give. If anyone ever does wrong , it's a personal problem of his.  

I am rich Joagbaje.
STOP THAT NONSENSE. YOU'Re POOR MAN. YOU SPEAK THE LANGUAGE OF THE POOR.

SPIRITUALLY. . But I am not rich physically.

Now I understand. And I'm moved with compassion.

Don't teach, you don't understand the bible. just ask questions, you will be fine.
The early apostles had a special  calling to die for christ. Jesus told them how they must die.

2 Corinthians 4:12
12 So then death worketh in us, but life in you.

1 Corinthians 4:9
9 For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men

They the apostles had the understanding that they were to sacrifice themselves for the church and christ.

grin grin > grin  grin

Meanwhile, knowing you're a certified  and not wanting to insult you further,

So you know you're insulting. Wonderful. Which pastor gave birth to you? Try study ephesian

Ephesians 4:29-30
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. 30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Keep sucking chris and lets see where you'll be in just three years time.

I will gladly wait to remind you at that time, but I hope the light of truth will permeate your heart before then.
Re: Why Must Christians Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 6:12pm On Aug 13, 2010
nuclearboy:

"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven" a time to be born and a time to die, a ,  ,  ,  . ., a time to weep and a time to laugh, ,  " Eccl 3:1

Bobo , life is not a game of chance. Why do you like to quote failures. Why not quote successful men. Solomon was a backsliden . If you want to know what belongs to you, that is if you are born again, because you don't talk like one. But just incase you happen to be saved, read the epistles  more. And rhapsody of realities.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2012, Planet X,nibiru 2012, Mayans Calender, End Of The World? / Why The Old Testament Cannot Be Separated From The New Testament? / “Finding A Life Partner”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 250
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.