Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,576 members, 7,843,803 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? (54074 Views)

NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree / 3 Former Governors Receive Operational Licenses To Float Universities / Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Neddyogu(m): 8:42am On Jan 05, 2019
Hoodbilonia:
simple
we are humans
and are warm bodied
however wen one dies .b body becomes a cold blooded corpse
as ship heavy reach e nor dey sink
abi u don eva hear say wood miss for sea

Ships don't sink because they are lighter than the surrounding water. The light weight is achieved by building the visible part of the ship upon a hollow base which gives it buoyancy.
This has nothing to do with being homeothermic or poikilothermic.

After a while, dead bodies become less dense than water and thus float.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by brandmix: 8:42am On Jan 05, 2019
cool figured this out the day I nearly drowned as an 8 year old kid.

I tried to figure out how I had managed to survive jumping into a full pool thinking I was a pro becos I was a local champion swimming in my fathers bath tube grin grin

Cut long story short I saw my head come above the water once...then twice...after that my brain knew I was in trouble.

As I began to sink, I recalled where the ladder was and flapped and stretched frantically in that direction till my finger tips made contact with the ladder. That stretching of my body (making it flat is what I believed saved me)

Few years later during a class in physics I learned the principles of buoyancy and upthrust.

ALL humans are designed to float. The higher the surface area, the more the chance of floating. A body that is "free" and not tense and is spread lateral not vertical on the water surface will float. Add to the fact that we have some gasses and liquids within us (why fat guys float better)

A dead body has no fear, no resistance and hence no tension, and once it assumes a lateral position will float, even before decomposition.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by statesman6: 8:45am On Jan 05, 2019
This is physics not biology...I think the question should be tag *scientific reason* not *biological reason*
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Damfostopper(m): 8:47am On Jan 05, 2019
WayStage:
Because the dead body haff die lipsrsealed
mah nigga... ah tell yu.... short answer.... no time for epistle

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Mpanyi: 8:51am On Jan 05, 2019
If you understand the realtionship between density, mass and volume you will understand.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by MrSix: 8:53am On Jan 05, 2019
david22uu:
u try but u wrong

Dino Melaye, I salute.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by doublewisdom: 8:55am On Jan 05, 2019
GogetterMD:

Oga barbecue, all this your epistle sef.
Dead bodies tend to float after some days in water simply because the decomposition process of the body due happens to release a whole lot of gases that causes it to bloat and thus levitate it to the surface, compared to a live person or a recent dead undecomposed body
Simple. No need for plenty oyibo.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by MobilityExpress: 8:57am On Jan 05, 2019
ProsperChild:
First of all this is a nice question hope u guys satisfy with my answer there are so many explanations of floating deadbodies in water ….I want explanation to be simple and liable for study ……

Biological reason of floating deadbodies...

Who can crack this mystery.

"Mysteriously" speaking, the answer is FEAR! When you want to learn swimming, the first thing you will be taught is to overcome fear of water, to let go of your fear of water, then you begin to float immediately you let go of the fear. People who swim have no fear of water in them but people who don't know how to swim carry fear. It is the "weight" of the fear that makes them drown. But a dead body has no fear of the water anymore, so it floats. I hope with this mysterious explanation I have mysteriously cracked your mystery grin

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by gaby(m): 8:57am On Jan 05, 2019
showafrica:

Not gravity, achimedis principle, not sure of the spelling due to the presence of gas.

Great...thanks for the lecture. I'm addicted to learning.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Rindo69: 8:58am On Jan 05, 2019
GogetterMD:

Dead bodies tend to float after some days in water simply because the decomposition process of the body due happens to release a whole lot of gases that causes it to bloat and thus levitate it to the surface, compared to a live person or a recent dead undecomposed body

Don’t mind the barbecue seller. He stole the answer off Quora and presents it here without citing his source. Typical plagiarist . Please credit Alex Mancini and don’t be a thief

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Rindo69: 9:01am On Jan 05, 2019
post=74463623:
Good question, here are the reasons,

Initially, bodies will likely sink to the bottom, but as bodies decompose and gasses are released in the body, the corpse will rise back to the surface as a result of buoyancy.

The reason that living human beings naturally float is because of the air in our lungs. The air acts as a buoyant force for the body, making it impossible for you to simply lie down at the bottom of a swimming pool. In the case of a corpse, however, they have no control over whether their lungs fill up or not. If the corpse falls in the water facedown, they might never sink to the bottom, as there will be no real chance for the air to escape from the lungs. However, if a corpse is put into the water on their back, air can escape, water can take its place, and the body will quickly sink.

If a person drowns, they don’t necessarily die because water fills up their lungs; often, the body will asphyxiate itself because the windpipe closes up against the presence of water. In this case, a body could potentially float for longer periods before eventually sinking to the bottom. However, given that almost every dead body falls beneath the surface eventually, once all the air is expelled from the lungs.

Cite your source please.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Paul112(m): 9:03am On Jan 05, 2019
david22uu:
Simple physics

A live body has more density than a dead body

Density =mass/volume

Live body has more mass and less volumes

When a person die and unattended to , there is gas build up in d body which increases volume, then dexompositions reduce the mass... so we have less mass more volume , the body becomes less dense than water and it floats

Weight of the dead body is less than the upthrust because the dead body no longer takes in oxygen and every other organs decomposes because of lack of oxygenated blood which makes the body becomes lighter in weight and vacuum created in the body hence the body floats due to body weight of d dead body lighter than the upthrust(force of buoyancy or upward force) in the water

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Nobody: 9:03am On Jan 05, 2019
[s]
post=74463623:

Initially, bodies will likely sink to the bottom, but as bodies decompose and gasses are released in the body, the corpse will rise back to the surface as a result of buoyancy.

The reason that living human beings naturally float is because of the air in our lungs. The air acts as a buoyant force for the body, making it impossible for you to simply lie down at the bottom of a swimming pool. In the case of a corpse, however, they have no control over whether their lungs fill up or not. If the corpse falls in the water facedown, they might never sink to the bottom, as there will be no real chance for the air to escape from the lungs. However, if a corpse is put into the water on their back, air can escape, water can take its place, and the body will quickly sink.

If a person drowns, they don’t necessarily die because water fills up their lungs; often, the body will asphyxiate itself because the windpipe closes up against the presence of water. In this case, a body could potentially float for longer periods before eventually sinking to the bottom. However, given that almost every dead body falls beneath the surface eventually, once all the air is expelled from the lungs.

[/s]

IF you don't know about something then wait to read from people who know it better, don't rush to Google then coppy and paste it here without you even reading it.
You rushed to copy this from ''Quora'' and paste it here just to get likes, I know you here as dumb-ass/Zombie/Sai Babarian.

The OP have browsers in his phone, he has access to Google before coming to Nairaland to ask.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 05, 2019
post=74463623:

Next time GOOGLE will go a long way to help you!
It doesn't disappoint, atleast , most times!

People like una nai dey do oversabi for exam and later on fail....too many irrelevant stuff you write.. .see how the next guy simplify everything

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by ikemesit4477: 9:08am On Jan 05, 2019
Very nice question, and good reply I must say! But i also want to ask a question! From where am coming from if someone get drown in the river, I mean naturally, his or her body will be spotted in a particular location after 3 days! But if someone get murdered and peradventure dump into the river , his or her body can never be spotted in the same location, as someone who was drown naturally!How can we explain these? Mind you I have witness about 3 cases, because I grow up in riverine area!
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 05, 2019
GogetterMD:

The slowpoke is doing copy and paste from ''Quora''

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by toplinetrtrend: 9:09am On Jan 05, 2019
post=74463623:

So, you went to copy and paste from quora? Are you this dull mentally? No wonder you promote Buhari like someone that has no brain. No wonder

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by 36STATES: 9:11am On Jan 05, 2019
SalamRushdie:

you forgot to give credit to where you copied your reply from
https://www.quora.com/When-will-a-dead-body-float

I knew it had to be copy and paste because No Buharist has the brain matter to answer anything

As soon as I read first few sentences of his usual rubbish, I knew I have read it somewhere some yrs ago, at www.scienceabc.com. Buhari supporters are only good at forgery.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by BrokenCock: 9:20am On Jan 05, 2019
post=74463623:

Next time GOOGLE will go a long way to help you!
It doesn't disappoint, atleast , most times!
copy n paste!who doesn't know google here? He is only trying to mk here interactive
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Lukonline(m): 9:20am On Jan 05, 2019
contigiency:
It's just strange. meanwhile, dead bodies are usually heavier than the living ones.
ships are heavier than cars but ships float while cars sink...same principle
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by koyeni(m): 9:20am On Jan 05, 2019
Nice thread

Check my signature for cheap memory cards and laptops. Free delivery within lagos
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by usebog: 9:22am On Jan 05, 2019
MrSix:
I still remember physics so? Errrm
The condition for floating to occur is only when the density of the body is less than the medium it would float in or on. This all centres of the mass to volume ratio of the body.
When the body is alive, due to absence of air, the mass to volume ratio is above 1g/cm3 (density of water). So it sinks. However, when the person dies, water enters the body which causes an increase in volume, thus decrease in density of the body and a corresponding increase in the upthrust acting against the body. So it floats.

Errrm...I try 100/10

Need a laptop?
I sell Grade1 USA used Laptops
Free delivery within Lagos only and it's pay on delivery.
Details in my signature.
OGA CALM DOWN
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by MrSix: 9:24am On Jan 05, 2019
usebog:
OGA CALM DOWN
Bro...I Don forget the principles of refrigeration.
Errrmmm...lemme
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Rindo69: 9:44am On Jan 05, 2019
After the meat seller was caught copying and pasting, he adds the line about asking Google!!!

Ignorant intellectual ...

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by naunasabi: 10:00am On Jan 05, 2019
chicoMX:
A life human being can also float on water if they can remain "still" in the water. It always advisable not to try to swim (if you cannot swim) when you're drowning, because there is a chance you might find yourself floating .

This may sound strange most Westerners comfortable float in water more especially in the sea. But I have observed how most black people find it difficult to maintain buoyancy while swimming even in the sea.

As for dead bodies someone already gave a good response .

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by vaxx: 10:03am On Jan 05, 2019
ProsperChild:
First of all this is a nice question hope u guys satisfy with my answer there are so many explanations of floating deadbodies in water ….I want explanation to be simple and liable for study ……

Biological reason of floating deadbodies...

Who can crack this mystery.
Anything At all can float on the water if they are less dense than the water (i.e.) they weigh less than the same volume of water.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by safindakas(m): 10:05am On Jan 05, 2019
when the ask u people to listen in class and lectures u will refuse. if u say is because of d gas in human body, what happen to a coin that is thrust in water? as time goes on, the corpse will loose it weight to the water which resulted to flotation. simple law of flotation
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by Nobody: 10:05am On Jan 05, 2019
anochuko01:
the spirit get weight naa. especially fat people

Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by whatmoreng: 10:05am On Jan 05, 2019
sandland:

This is simply the answer. When you put Air in a balloon �, it floats in water. Doesn't it?
An empty balloon will still float too.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by whatmoreng: 10:10am On Jan 05, 2019
naunasabi:

This may sound strange most Westerners comfortable float in water more especially in the sea. But I have observed how most black people find it difficult to maintain buoyancy while swimming even in the sea.

As for dead bodies someone already gave a good response .
Blacks are always scared. And won't keep still. Making floating difficult
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by naunasabi: 10:10am On Jan 05, 2019
ikemesit4477:
Very nice question, and good reply I must say! But i also want to ask a question! From where am coming from if someone get drown in the river, I mean naturally, his or her body will be spotted in a particular location after 3 days! But if someone get murdered and peradventure dump into the river , his or her body can never be spotted in the same location, as someone who was drown naturally!How can we explain these? Mind you I have witness about 3 cases, because I grow up in riverine area!

I think that most people that drown in that river all swim around a specific place which makes the distance from where they drown to where the bodies are usually spotted approx same for all the victim. Given that as soon as they drown the process of sinking and resurfacing after drowning will take approx same time in victims of relatively same body size hence the reappearance of the bodies at almost the same spot if the process from drowning to sinking and resurfacing were not disturbed.

As per murdered victim first the person is already death before being placed in the water with all air in the lungs mostly gone. Secondly the murderer may deposit in such a way that the body will remain submerged and never found or to drift far away from the place where the body was dumped to avoid suspicion. Either of these two actions will always produce different spotting spots since the murders were never in an agreement to always drop of their victim at a specific spots so that they can all pop up at the same place.
Re: Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? by naunasabi: 10:15am On Jan 05, 2019
whatmoreng:

Blacks are always scared. And won't keep still. Making floating difficult

That maybe one factor but being scare not in all cases. I know someone that can swim very well. We have traveled together swam together in the sea and swimming pools in hotels and this person can not float. This person swims underwater one end of the pool to the other but can't float. We have tried it many times with the help of swimming coach with no luck.

I stumbled on a forum that actually confirm that there are people that can float on water while there are some that only floats in body of water with high salt contents like the sea/ocean. Since my friend can float in the sea I made a joke once that we have to head out to the black sea ( it has higher salt content than most sea) to see if that will help.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Reasons Secondary School Girls Are Having Boyfriends / Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" / Nigerian Woman Who Returned To Secondary School After Child Bearing Graduates

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.