Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,621 members, 7,823,716 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

My Ebola Story; Who Will Save Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Ebola Story; Who Will Save Nigeria? (391 Views)

Nnamdi Onochie: Negotiating With Boko Haram Will Save Nigeria N1.2trn Spent / Zainab Ahmed: Dangote Refinery Will Save Nigeria $10bn / Onnoghen: NBA Urges National Assembly To Save Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Ebola Story; Who Will Save Nigeria? by TedBen24(m): 12:13pm On Jan 06, 2019
I had just flown into Lagos from Dubai in August of 2014 in the heat of the Ebola epidemic. MMIA was quiet and chaos-free. For the first time I saw people properly queued, nobody was yelling, Immigration officials were actually doing their job. Public health officers were busy scanning every soul that came into the airport with infrared thermometers. MMIA was noiseless and in order, wow! Before taking off from DXB we had been briefed on the sitrep in Nigeria, we were told what to expect, how to react and how to stay safe, the guys at Emirates Airlines had done a good job. I have been a way from naija for a while.

Coming back was with mixed feelings. I was scared and also wanted to see my family at the same time. A few months before, the Malaysian plane had gone missing, I was in Asia at the time. I was to fly from Mombai to Dubai then proceed to Lagos. Ebola and the fear of my plane disappearing made my journey a trepidatious one. I had cancelled my trip to Kenya and Tanzania because of the outbreak, my mum wouldn't even have it. She forbade me. I wish I had gone then. It was cheap and the deal I got was amazing. This Buhari ehnnn!!!!

Anyways, I touched down Lagos at exactly 7pm. I was terrified. I was in Lagos, at the Airport. The same place the Liberian diplomat Patrick Sawyer had brought this disease into the nation. Folake was already at the airport to pick me up. She had already called to tell me she was picking me up without my even asking. No Alaye boys hustling me to help carry my bags, Ebola was a threat, even area boys no want wahala I swear. I met Folake at the parking lot, we shared a hug, yes we did, Ebola did not stop me from hugging my friend. She was the only one I had physical contact with in Lagos. I touched no soul, didn't even hang out or eat out. We drove straight to the hotel. She even had to bring food for me at the hotel. I wasn't taking any chances.

The next morning I got a cab to take me to Yenagoa. I just didn't want to go back to that airport. Besides the Ebola issue, we had serious turbulence while landing. I was still feeling seriously jet lagged and nervous. I had been airborne for two days. I didn't want to be 40,000ft above the ground again. Man was not having it. It was a smooth drive from Eko to Yenagoa. AC chilling, good music and magazines to flip through. The cab guy knew his job apparently. I slept off periodically. Only me inside a car with all that space, wetin you expect? I was even looking for beautiful female NYSC members to help on the way, you know I'm a good perzon but the fear of Ebola restrained me.

I finally got home safely. I saw my mum and dad and my family but Bankole Cardoso was going through hell. His mum was fighting Ebola at First Consultant Hospital. She already had the virus. I could only imagine what he was going through facing the eminent loss of his mum. I would swim the Nile and wrestle with dragons for my mum. Loosing a mum is lethargic and catastrophic no matter the time and age. You never remain the same. Nigeria owes Dr Stella Ameyo Adedavoh and all the team members at First Consultant who contained this epidemic so much. They gave up their lives so we could have ours today. Every breath we take today is because of them.

When I remember how we fought Ebola as a nation, how we looked out for each other, advising our loved ones to salt-bath, the many prayer points and phone calls, how even though I was in Asia, my mum was still insisting all the way from Africa that I bath with salt, chisosss!!! I believe somewhere against all odds that we can salvage Nigeria if we put our hearts to it. For 93 days we prevailed as a nation over the disease, I remember the sacrifices of Dr Adedavoh and all the doctors and Nurses at First Consultant Hospital. How they showed courage, exemplary and selfless leadership even in the face and verge of death. It's been 4 plus years since Nigeria was declared Ebola free by WHO.

The Ebola crisis teaches us as a nation that if we put our hearts and commit our resources both human, natural and physical to anything, we can achieve it. It reaffirms the fact that Nigeria has credible and competent leaders at various levels and capacities. They may not be in government but they exist. We have a generation of young people today who don't seem to care about politics, those who do, do so for selfish reasons. We are plagued from every side but our greatest curse is a generation of uninformed, docile and ignorant youth. We have been so brutalised and brainwashed that none of us is ready to do anything good for Nigeria. Just a few days ago I saw on TV, the NANS president in Aso Rock assuring Buhari of the associations support. Sometimes I fear for Nigeria's future. Imagine if Dr Stella and the Staff at First Consultant had ran away or not shown courage, Nigeria would have been a sorry case today.

Today, the question is who will go for us? Who will save us? Who will fight for us? and if at all somebody decides to show up, how many young Nigerians will rise up to the challenge?

May the souls of all those we lost to Ebola Rest in Peace. What is your Ebola story? #ShareIT #93Days #Ebola #WePrevailed #Rememberingourheroes #DrAdedavoh #FirstConsultants
Re: My Ebola Story; Who Will Save Nigeria? by Nigerianization(m): 12:41pm On Jan 06, 2019
Sadly, Nigerians focus only on TRENDING ISSUES and not IMPORTANT ISSUES.

I guess you know what's trending now

Ask Rotimi Amaechi

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ambode Arrests Soldier, One Other Driving Against Traffic / Breaking: We May Vote. Nnamdi Kanu To Speak On Election Boycott, / Lagosians Shouldn't Sell Their Conscience For A Kilo Of Rice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.