Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,989 members, 7,866,720 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 01:21 AM

Roger Federer Breaks Down In Tear As He Remembers His Deceased Mentor - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Roger Federer Breaks Down In Tear As He Remembers His Deceased Mentor (362 Views)

The 15 Most Popular Athletes Of All Time Ft, Messi, Ronaldo, Bolt, Federer & Ali / Roger Federer Tops Rafael Nadal In Wimbledon Semifinals / Shehu Abdullahi In Tear As He Bids Farewell To Anorthosis Famagusta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Roger Federer Breaks Down In Tear As He Remembers His Deceased Mentor by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 07, 2019
The record gram slam winner Roger federer arguably the greatest tennisman in history, had an emotional moment during in a CNN interview. As Roger Federer prepares to defend his Australian Open title, an emotional interview with CNN Sport reveals just how much the Swiss continues to mourn the loss of Australian Peter Carter.

has revealed the depth of his feeling towards former coach Peter Carter in an emotional interview with CNN - describing his death 17 years ago as a 'a wake-up call' .

Carter coached Federer throughout his formative years until he died while on honeymoon in 2002. A year later Federer fulfilled the predictions of most who had witnessed his precocious talent and won his first grand slam at Wimbledon.

In an emotional interview, Federer said Carter's death was a seminal moment in his development. "It was somewhat of a wake-up call for me when he passed away, and I really started to train hard", Federer said.

When first asked what Carter would make of his achievements in winning 20 grand slams, Federer began to break down and said: "Sorry. I hope he would be proud. I guess he didn’t want me to be a wasted talent.

“The saddest thing in life is wasted talent,” says Robert De Niro—playing salt-of-the-earth bus driver Lorenzo Anello in A Bronx Tale—to his teenage son, Calogero (Lillo Brancato). In the film, at least, Brancato heeds these words.

A Bronx Tale is one of my favorite movies, so much that I chose De Niro’s message as my senior quote for my high-school yearbook. So I couldn’t help but notice when Roger Federer referenced “wasted talent” in an interview with CNN Sport’s Christina Macfarlane, about the 20-time Grand Slam champion’s former coach, Peter Carter.

“I hope he would be proud,” a tearful Federer says about Carter. “I guess he didn’t want me to be a wasted talent.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FIJcDQ_uQc

cc. lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique

(1) (Reply)

Mobi Oparaku: Super Eagles Lack Naturally Gifted Players / REJECTED! Chelsea's Hudson-odoi Knocks Back Latest Deal From Club / Why On Earth Did Barcelona Sign 'troublesome' Boateng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.