Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,755 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Who Was Herbert Macaulay? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Was Herbert Macaulay? (8818 Views)

The Messy State of Herbert Macaulay Way, Yaba, On Saturday / herbert Macaulay story was a 419 scam story by Nigeria because occupation . / Things You Never Knew About Herbert Macaulay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by olaolabiy: 2:00am On Aug 13, 2010
^^^
moreover, i used those percentages from personal interactions with friends, in nigeria and abroad. and they are all graduates. some even find it inconvenient and strenuous to read a lenghty article. so, what are you talking about? GEJ holds a PHD my brother. i love him but what do you think about his use of English? A PHD holder?
please, get REAL.
Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by EzeUche22(m): 4:24am On Aug 13, 2010
To be honest, I would only trust a Nigerian who was educated in a university outside of Nigeria. Preferably an Ivy league institution in the states.
Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by Jarus(m): 6:49am On Aug 13, 2010
From my interactions too, I also fully agree with Ola's assertion about Nigerian undergrads. It's a sad reality you don't need any hard data to back.
Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by YoungBrain: 6:53am On Aug 13, 2010
@ola olabiy

do you know that at least 90% of educated nigerians (home and abroad) do now the difference between britain and the united kingdom?
please, help me to ask just 10 among your friends and come back here with their answers to that very simple question.

Without the aid of google I would not have been able to tell the difference.

Come to think of it how many Britons care to know where Nigeria is located on the world map?
Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by Katsumoto: 12:11pm On Aug 13, 2010
YoungBrain:

@ola olabiy

do you know that at least 90% of educated nigerians (home and abroad) do now the difference between britain and the united kingdom?
please, help me to ask just 10 among your friends and come back here with their answers to that very simple question.

Without the aid of google I would not have been able to tell the difference.

Come to think of it how many Britons care to know where Nigeria is located on the world map?

So you think Nigerian youths should remain ignorant just because Britons are ignorant? Nations that want to grow or remain competitive must be knowledgeable. Little wonder other third world countries such as China, India, Brazil, etc are making headway in the world whilst Nigeria is stuck in the middle ages.
Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by olaolabiy: 12:16pm On Aug 13, 2010
^^^^
abeg katsumoto,
no mind that guy oo. let them celebrate ignorance.
Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by Katsumoto: 12:21pm On Aug 13, 2010
The youths are not to blame for the lack of knowledge of their history. Nigerian leaders have not been concerned with Nigerian history and can not be bothered. Also, leaders must lead by example. If Nigerian leaders continue to lead the world in corruption, debauchery, thuggery, tribalism, religious and tribal intolerance, and assassinations, how do you expect Nigerian youths to behave in a manner that is the antithesis of that displayed by their leaders?
Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by Abiyamo: 12:05am On May 27, 2013
I agree with you and we are making efforts to bring part some of our history. You may check out some historical articles on Nigeria and Nigerians at .com, actually, we just finished a detailed article on Herbert Macaulay and you can read it here>>>>http://.com/herbert-macaulay-nigerias-father-of-nationalism/
Chxta: A few years ago, I listened with a bit of disbelief as a friend of mine told me that she had no idea of who Herbert Macaulay was. What was shocking to me then was that she was a first class degree holder from a Nigerian university, and had grown up in my generation. However at that point in time, I did not find her lack of knowledge horrifying.

Move the clock forward a few years, and I'm now older and wiser. Thus it was that I listened in horror this Saturday past when a young lady who just finished from secondary school and is awaiting her school leaving results told me the same thing. As a matter of fact, this young lady has no idea of who the following people are: Alhaji Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Mazi Alvan Ikoku, General Murtala Ramat Mohammed, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello and Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe. To be fair and honest, she recognises their names from the Naira notes that she wields each day, but that is all. She has no idea of what Biafra really was, but at least knows that Emeka Ojukwu was involved in the Biafra story. What his role was, she had no idea.

In shock, I attempted to guide her mind towards contemporary Nigerian politics, and asked her who her state governor was. She replied, "Nnamdi Ohakim". At least she got the surname right. When pressed about who is predecessor was, her response, "Goodluck Jonathan!"

I did what I considered to be the humane thing and give her a crash course on our nation's history. What I found most frustrating was her almost absolute lack of interest in what I was saying!

What I find again most frustrating is the question of who or what to channel my anger at.

The young lady (whom I must point out is exceedingly respectful) is a stunning example of the rot in our country. And nowhere is this rot exemplified more than in our educational system.

The importance of History as a course can NEVER be understated, and in the opinion of this writer, it should be made compulsory through primary, secondary and at least the first year of tertiary education.

It is knowledge of what our forebears did, especially with an emphasis on what they got right, that could well and truly give us a sense of national pride.

So just who was Herbert Macaulay?
Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by Afam4eva(m): 12:12am On May 27, 2013
kcjazz:
"History is the lie commonly agreed upon" ~ Voltaire
I just have to quote this. You got it spot on.
Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by EkoIle1: 12:15am On May 27, 2013
Chxta: Still on the theme of forgetting our past heroes, today is EXACTLY twenty one years since Sam Okwaraji died on national duty. What monuments do we have for him?

The Nigerian government didn't do anything for him and his familt, his own state Imo state didn't do anything for him, but Fashola honored him with a statute, a memorial garden and money for his family...

Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by AdoZazzau: 5:34am On May 27, 2013
This thread opened to discuss and educate on Mr Macauley and for two years that mission has not been accomplished. Southerners call themselves educated. I am not sure you are. You know how to blow big grammar but you are less educated and informed than the Northerner.

1 Like

Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by Abiyamo: 4:40am On Jun 16, 2013
AdoZazzau, I wrote on Herbert Macaulay on my website. Read here>>> http://.com/herbert-macaulay-nigerias-father-of-nationalism/

You can also read about other prominent Nigerians like Sardauna of Sokoto, Ladi Kwali, Aliko Dangote, Sani Abacha and many more. Have a nice time grin
AdoZazzau: This thread opened to discuss and educate on Mr Macauley and for two years that mission has not been accomplished. Southerners call themselves educated. I am not sure you are. You know how to blow big grammar but you are less educated and informed than the Northerner.
Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by Nobody: 9:27am On Jun 16, 2013
ola olabiy: ^^^^^
did you attend a nigerian uni/higher institution? trust me, no hyperbole intended.
do you know that at least 90% of educated nigerians (home and abroad) do not know the difference between britain and the united kingdom?
U are very funny, going all d way to Britain and UK to proof ignorance in Naija. How many Southern Nigerian know the difference between Hausa and Fulani? How many Northerner know the difference between an Oyo person and an Egba person? And how many people know the difference between somebody from Enugu and Calabar?

1 Like

Re: Who Was Herbert Macaulay? by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 16, 2013
All these complain about useless knowledge!
How will knowing Herbert Macaulay help us produce one tenth of what China produces?
That is after being forced to learn mathematics and the likes in a foreign language.
And then when you are old enough to take Jamb you learn that all that does not matter cause we operate a quota system.

Who wants to learn about the people that created such a nasty place?
Education must be Utilitarian!
If the knowledge is useless, then it's only a matter of time and people will stop bothering about it, even if it is printed on notes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Solomon Lar’s Body Arrives Abuja Today / 93,000 Ghost Voters Uncovered In Anambra / Majority States Pass ‘not Too Young To Run’ Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.