Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid (4097 Views)

President Buhari Will Be To China By Next Week Monday To Sign A $3.5bn Loan / Electricity Grid Maintains Rise, Now 4,662mw / Jonathan Approved N1.45b Legal Fee, BPE Tells EFCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 10, 2010
[size=28pt]Nigeria Plans to Build $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid to Reduce Blackouts[/size]

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan approved the construction of a $3.5 billion electricity grid aimed at addressing power-transmission problems in Africa’s most populous nation.

The 700-kilovolt “super grid” will be completed within four years, the Nigerian presidency said in an e-mailed statement today from the capital, Abuja. It will be funded by the government, private investors and international finance and development agencies.

The grid will “address Nigeria’s future energy challenges including the transition to more sustainable energy sources, reduction of power loss per transmitted megawatt and improving power voltage profile across the country,” it said.

Blackouts are a daily occurrence in Nigeria, a West African nation of more than 150 million people where demand for electricity is almost double current supply. On June 21, Jonathan appointed a team to look at the “rapid improvement of power generation, transmission and distribution” in the country.

Nigeria’s electricity-generation capacity is expected to rise to 6,939 megawatts by April and 14,019 megawatts by December 2013, the presidency said today, without saying what current output is.

Jonathan will present a “road map” on the reorganization of Nigeria’s power industry to private businesses on Aug. 26, the statement said. The event will provide companies with “fresh investment opportunities,” it said, without elaborating.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-10/nigerian-president-approves-construction-of-3-5-billion-electricity-grid.html
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Kobojunkie: 9:49pm On Aug 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Nigeria’s electricity-generation capacity is expected to rise to 6,939 megawatts by April and 14,019 megawatts by December 2013, the presidency said today, without saying what current output is.

So that is a rise of about 3000MW by April of next year? undecided

Here is . . .
lipsrsealed
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Nobody: 10:00pm On Aug 10, 2010
@KoboJ

"We're getting there" grin grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Kobojunkie: 10:04pm On Aug 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

@KoboJ

"We're getting there" grin grin

Yeah, like I haven't heard that before? ROFLMAO!!! I remember we said that back in 2005, then again through 2007, and now we are getting there again in 2013. My question remains are we sure we are getting there this time around?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Beaf: 10:07pm On Aug 10, 2010
Up Jonathan! Jonathan for 2011! grin
The man has been quietly delivering and laying the groundwork for Nigeria's metamorphosis.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by mamagee3(f): 10:10pm On Aug 10, 2010
Jonathan should forget it. . .He shouldn't be president again.

All these attempts to gain votes is ridiculous.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by paddylo1(m): 10:16pm On Aug 10, 2010
Up Jonathan! Jonathan for 2011!
The man has been quietly delivering and laying the groundwork for Nigeria's metamorphosis.

@Beaf

I agree with u on this one,and i have been preaching this since day one. . .

Uncle Jo for President. . . .

The man understands what it means to source long term funds(outside the FG yrly budget)and use same to build out infrastructure cool
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by labiyemmy(m): 11:03pm On Aug 10, 2010
Attempts to gain votes? I never knew there are elections presently in Nigeria - where do these people live? The moon or outer space? No wonder they talk rubbish here.

Uncle J. Dont mind the nay sayers- please dont you ever attempt to join NairaLand, for they will pull you down. Well done for work done so far as per energy- we are on ground, we feel it already- there has been better supply for the past two months- well done sir. Please dont listen to people who live far and throw stones at you - our prayer is that they forever miss and the stone gets back to hit their ugly heads.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Sharonf(f): 12:08am On Aug 11, 2010
KEYWORD : PLANS
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 11, 2010
Sharon_f:

KEYWORD : PLANS
It has already been approved sweety
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Sharonf(f): 12:15am On Aug 11, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

It has already been approved sweety
Thanks
Approved plan still dey on paper. Anyway Il be back to this thread in 4 years.(if Nairaland hasnt crumbled).
Even Yar'Adua approved his 'plans'. He's dead now so. . .
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Beaf: 12:23am On Aug 11, 2010
Sharon_f:

Thanks
Approved plan still dey on paper. Anyway Il be back to this thread in 4 years.(if Nairaland hasnt crumbled).
Even Yar'Adua approved his 'plans'. He's dead now so. . .

shocked
How can you compare Yar Adua to Jonathan? How can you even compare Yar Adua to anybody?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Sharonf(f): 12:27am On Aug 11, 2010
Beaf:

shocked
How can you compare Yar Adua to Jonathan? How can you even compare Yar Adua to anybody?

Please highlight their key differences. I remember a certain 7 point agenda that has been completely forgotten. . .or was it 9 or 10 point agenda. We forget Johnathan was vice-president to Yar'adua. He was not a different presidential candidate, he is part and parcel of Yar'adua's administration.
Anyway, like I said what is different from the two in your view?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Nobody: 12:32am On Aug 11, 2010
The 700-kilovolt “super grid” will be completed within four years

Someone should help me analyse if the above will make any significant difference to the situation of Lagos alone let alone Nigeria.

If we can analyse the details and confirm this makes a difference then we can get excersized about Jonathan's efforts.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Sharonf(f): 12:35am On Aug 11, 2010
mikeansy:

Someone should help me analyse if the above will make any significant difference to the situation of Lagos alone let alone Nigeria.

If we can analyse the details and confirm this makes a difference then we can get excersized about Jonathan's efforts.

Cant you see its a SUPER-GRID. Not just ordinary grid, SUPER GRID.
SUPER GRID!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Nobody: 12:37am On Aug 11, 2010
Sharon_f:

Cant you see its a SUPER-GRID. Not just ordinary grid, SUPER GRID.
SUPER GRID!

I am here to learn, kindly explain the implication of that in the light of the fact that its 700-KiloVolt that is being delivered.

Thank you.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Kobojunkie: 12:41am On Aug 11, 2010
Sharon_f:

Please highlight their key differences. I remember a certain 7 point agenda that has been completely forgotten. . .or was it 9 or 10 point agenda. We forget Johnathan was vice-president to Yar'adua. He was not a different presidential candidate, he is part and parcel of Yar'adua's administration.

hang in there. . . . we will soon know how much longer we will have to wait for this seemingly illusive change in this country. . .
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Sharonf(f): 12:42am On Aug 11, 2010
By building 700volt SUPER-GRID we get SUPER ELECTRICITY. in 4 years the SUPER ELECTRICITY will power the SUPER NIGERIANS and then we can build our ULTRA GRID for ULTRA ELECTRICITY
grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Sharonf(f): 12:45am On Aug 11, 2010
Kobojunkie:

hang in there. . . . we will soon know how much longer we will have to wait for this seemingly illusive change in this country. . .

You know what?
Why dont we only post topics that have
'Work starts on . . . project' or 'Pictures of construction of. . .' and stop posting topics on 'Plans in motion to. . .' or 'FG sets up committee'
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Beaf: 12:45am On Aug 11, 2010
Sharon_f:

Some Nigerians are never appreciative of anything and most are crowd followers who will say anything to "seem" cool. embarassed

Do you remember the long fuel queues? They were part of everyday life just a few months ago.
Have you not noticed very positive changes to power supply?
Have you not witnessed that for the first time since independence, oil companies have set aside money to tackle oil spills?
Are you not witnessing the sincere efforts to introduce credible elections?
Have you not witnessed the ground swelling restructuring of the oil sector?

Have you not witnessed a clear difference in governing style? I will give an example; a man wilfully blocked Jonathans motorcade in Abuja. Today, that man is alive, without a scratch from the episode. He was taken to court. . . But then, some Nigerians love to be beaten up and spat on, so they might not appreciate such changes.

I could go on and on about the deep and positive changes Jonathan has brought about in 3 short months, one short post is hardly enough.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Nobody: 12:46am On Aug 11, 2010
Sharon_f:

By building 700volt SUPER-GRID we get SUPER ELECTRICITY. in 4 years the SUPER ELECTRICITY will power the SUPER NIGERIANS and then we can build our ULTRA GRID for ULTRA ELECTRICITY
grin

Right thought u were serious, anyway your joke was funny and appreciated.

@ All

Anyone know the implication of this addition 700-Kilovolt? thats if the project will be delivered.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Kobojunkie: 12:53am On Aug 11, 2010
Sharon_f:

You know what?
Why dont we only post topics that have
'Work starts on . . . project' or 'Pictures of construction of. . .' and stop posting topics on 'Plans in motion to. . .' or 'FG sets up committee'

WOW . .  you don't want out leaders to continue to feed their followers with news of what is possible, even if they might never see it? I think our politicians depend on that to control and sway the average Nigerian. If you remove that, problem go shele oo . . . people might then realize that nothing is really being accomplished and they might ya ri! lol

Yar adua is dead today but there are those out there who truly believe he did fulfill some of his seven point agenda and if not for death, he would have done it all. Don't ask me how but you only need to read the thread on his death to understand the power these reports in our media really have on the psyche of our people.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Beaf: 12:54am On Aug 11, 2010
mikeansy:

Right thought u were serious, anyway your joke was funny and appreciated.

@ All

Anyone know the implication of this addition 700-Kilovolt? thats if the project will be delivered.

It is a grid that has the capacity to cater for Nigeria's future needs. It will be robust enough to handle increments in power generation for quite a long time (that depends on the area it covers though).
700 Kilovolts is some really serious transmission line capacity as far as Nigeria is concerned. You will find that most transmission lines around the World are below 350 Kilovolts.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Beaf: 1:03am On Aug 11, 2010
@mikeansy
I might not have done a good enough job with my explanation above, you might get a better idea from reading this article about China's planned 750-Kilovolt sytem http://www.electricityforum.com/news/jun08/Chinaboostsgridconnections.html
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Sharonf(f): 1:11am On Aug 11, 2010
Beaf:

It is a grid that has the capacity to cater for Nigeria's future needs. It will be robust enough to handle increments in power generation for quite a long time (that depends on the area it covers though).
700 Kilovolts is some really serious transmission line capacity as far as Nigeria is concerned. You will find that most transmission lines around the World are below 350 Kilovolts.
Beaf:

@mikeansy
I might not have done a good enough job with my explanation above, you might get a better idea from reading this article about China's planned 750-Kilovolt sytem http://www.electricityforum.com/news/jun08/Chinaboostsgridconnections.html

I love your optimism! but at the same time feel sorry for your gullibility
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Nobody: 1:11am On Aug 11, 2010
Beaf:

It is a grid that has the capacity to cater for Nigeria's future needs. 700 Kilovolts is some really serious transmission line capacity as far as Nigeria is concerned. You will find that most transmission lines around the World are below 350 Kilovolts.

Right fair enough, now this is clearer. This is the capacity of the electricity transmission network?

right thats fair enough. We will see, signing off projects is the easy bit, implementation is where the hard work is. We have seen loads of project sign off since independence and the President should know that in this day and age people can monitor progress.

Well done for now while I keep my fingers crossed and see if this amounts to anything.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by labiyemmy(m): 1:13am On Aug 11, 2010
The same people who cry night and day about how they left the country due to decaying infrastructures, these are the same people who cry night and day when "something" good is initiated. oh people, when will your cries stop? Never!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Beaf: 1:18am On Aug 11, 2010
mikeansy:

Right fair enough, now this is clearer. This is the capacity of the electricity transmission network?

right thats fair enough. We will see, signing off projects is the easy bit, implementation is where the hard work is. We have seen loads of project sign off since independence and the President should know that in this day and age people can monitor progress.

Well done for now while I keep my fingers crossed and see if this amounts to anything.

Yes, its something like the energy carrying capacity of the grid.
As you say; one can only hope and pray that the project will go smoothly once its been kicked off and the trucks start rolling. If it goes well, it could very well change the industrial outlook of the country in a very short time, so fingers crossed.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Acidosis(m): 1:35am On Aug 11, 2010
Ride on Mr President, we are strongly behind you!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by DisGuy: 2:10am On Aug 11, 2010
Beaf:

Some Nigerians are never appreciative of anything and most are crowd followers who will say anything to "seem" cool. embarassed

Do you remember the long fuel queues? They were part of everyday life just a few months ago.
Have you not noticed very positive changes to power supply?
Have you not witnessed that for the first time since independence, oil companies have set aside money to tackle oil spills?
Are you not witnessing the sincere efforts to introduce credible elections?
Have you not witnessed the ground swelling restructuring of the oil sector?

Have you not witnessed a clear difference in governing style? I will give an example; a man wilfully blocked Jonathans motorcade in Abuja. Today, that man is alive, without a scratch from the episode. He was taken to court. . . But then, some Nigerians love to be beaten up and spat on, so they might not appreciate such changes.

I could go on and on about the deep and positive changes Jonathan has brought about in 3 short months, one short post is hardly enough.

could swear you were talking about Yaradua govt here!
only difference I noticed is the the Facebook and removal of Aondaka*-probably only removed him cos he was blocking him

Jonathan cant even tell us how much is being generated at the moment, he is not sincere with the power situation
he's more interested in the elections

the police are still killing innocent people o!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Beaf: 2:21am On Aug 11, 2010
^
Sorry, but Yar Adua achieved exactly nothing. Jonathan has already done more in his 3 months than Yar Adua did in 3 years.
. . .No more "baba go slow" and reciting of the "7 point agenda" while doing nothing. grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Approved The Construction Of A $3.5 Billion Electricity Grid by Kobojunkie: 2:24am On Aug 11, 2010
The same 7 point Agenda Jonathan claims he is also following? Achievements in 3 months or sucking on the glory of Yar adua's final acts that he never lived to see?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bishop Wale Oke Dares Jonathan / Another Picture Of Buhari With Tony Blair . A Must See (photo) / New Video Exposes How Nigerian Troops killed Onitsha Youth And Cover-up Crime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.