Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,982 members, 7,866,681 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 11:09 PM

Joke Silva: Passion Of A Screen Diva - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Joke Silva: Passion Of A Screen Diva (734 Views)

Photo Of Joke Silva And Her Look Alike 'daughter' / ~Mercy Aigbe's Corner: Nollywood's Fast Rising Screen Diva~ / ~Doris Simeon-Ademinokan's Corner: The Nollywood Screen Diva~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Joke Silva: Passion Of A Screen Diva by AloyEmeka5: 10:32pm On Aug 11, 2010
[size=14pt]Joke Silva, Passion of a screen mother[/size]
SUNDAY, 27 JUNE 2010 00:00 BY CHUKS NWANNE LIFE MAGAZINE - SPOTLIGHT
User Rating: / 2
PoorBest

“Pass me your love eh, tiletile pass me your love eh…” That’s Joke Silva’s caller tune when I rang to announce my arrival at her Ikoyi office, where we had earlier scheduled to meet for an impromptu chat. The screen diva was yet to arrive, so, I had to wait in company of her two truly hardworking office assistants.

Few minutes latter, her car wheeled into the premises, making a final stop jus few steps from the door.

“Aunty is here,” the lady assistant announced with excitement, as she ––followed by the young chap –– ran out to receive ‘madam.’ From their jubilation, it appears there’s good news. To crown it all, Joke’s said, “We thank God; things are falling in line for us.”

After a nimble at some cookies, Joke is ready for the interview, but not in her office; we had to do that in her car, since she had a meeting to attend in Ikeja that morning.

If you belong to the long list of fans missing Joke Silva on screen, then you need not worry much; your darling has crossed over to real business.

“Nowadays, acting-wise, I probably get to do one or two films a year, or say a stage production. There are so many issues that needed to be dealt with for the growth of this industry. One of them has been capacity building; Improving the skills and knowledge base of those who are in the industry and those who are coming into the industry; that has been a major concern for us.”

Was that why you set up the film school?

“Oh yes, yes. The Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts… we’ve been working as drama teachers in various schools for years since 1993. Along the line, we started training actors on one-on-one basis; we offered such services. Later, we decided to set up a full-fledged school for the profession.”

Unfortunately, most Nigerian actors don’t really believe in re-training?

“It’s a matter of orientation; it’s a very understandable position to be in. I mean you are earning money, you are acknowledged everywhere you go… so, sometimes, you feel there’s no need for you to train. But if we look at ourselves as professionals, there’s nobody in any profession that doesn’t go for continuous training. My mentor, Mr. Fola Adeola, told me years ago that he always spends, at least, two weeks back in the classroom every year. So, if a banker, a successful one at that can say that, who are we to say that we don’t need training. We just need to change our mindset,” she says.

How far have you gone with the school?

“The response has not been bad at all; we just got the keys for a building in Lekki, a 10-room facility, where we will have the studio one side, and the school on the other side. I won’t say quantity, but the quality of people we are getting is fantastic; we have people who are passionate for the industry and that for me is key.”
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15152:joke-silva-passion-of-a-screen-mother&catid=111:spotlight&Itemid=512

(1) (Reply)

How To Get A Brand New Black Berry Phone Without Paying A Dime! / Breaking New ! ! ! "emajo The Hardx Prologue" Now Out On Itunes.com / How To Get A Us Master Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.