Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe (22078 Views)

Robert Mugabe's Resignation Sparks Wild Jubilation In Zimbabwe / Military Coup In Zimbabwe: Zim Army Announcer "It Has Moved To Another Level" / Mugabe Appoints Minister For “whatsapp And Facebook” In Zimbabwe (2) (3) (4)

Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by chieyine(m): 4:33pm On Jan 13, 2019
@Naija Politico

A massive hike of 240 per cent in the prices of petrol and diesel goes into effect today in Zimbabwe.

Petrol was selling for 1.32 dollars (N481) per litre before Sunday’s hike. Now, it will be sold at $3.31 per litre.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa announced the increases Saturday night.

He said the prices were predicated on the prevailing rate of 1:1 between the U.S. dollar and the surrogate bond note.

Mnangagwa revealed the increases to journalists at the State House ahead of his tour of Eastern Europe and Switzerland.

He said: “The government has today decided on the following corrective measures, with effect from midnight tonight, fuel pump price of $3.11 per litre for diesel and $3.31 for petrol will come into effect.” (In naira terms petrol is N1204 per litre and diesel N1135).

“Guests of government by way of foreign missions, other registered foreign bodies and tourists will fuel and refuel at designated points at the price of 1.24 U.S. dollars per litre for diesel and 1.32 U.S. dollars per litre for petrol upon production of proper identification documents,” Mnangagwa said.

The fuel price increases coincided with government’s decision that the country will have its own currency within 12 months, thus jettisoning the US dollar.

Zimbabwean Finance and Economic Development Minister Mthuli Ncube said adopting the U.S. dollar or the South African rand would not solve the country’s macro-economic problems.

Asked to give a timeline on when local currency would be reintroduced, Ncube said it would be done “in less than 12 months.”

He said separating the parity between Real Time Gross Settlement accounts (RTGS) and foreign currency accounts (FCA) was the beginning of currency reforms which are necessary for pushing the country’s economy in the right direction.

“Our job is to introduce a currency that will be stable and less volatile. Dealing with the fiscal side is the first order to move towards a stable currency,” Ncube said.

Zimbabwe adopted the use of multi-currencies in 2009 after its local currency had been rendered worthless by hyperinflation.

To relieve cash shortages, the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe introduced the bond note in late 2016.

Initially pegged at 1:1 against the U.S. dollar when it was introduced, the bond note, however, has gradually lost value against the real currency and is now trading at about one-third the value of the U.S. dollar.

Source: https://naijapolitico.com.ng/petrol-now-n1204-per-litre-in-zimbabwe/

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by baliyubla: 4:34pm On Jan 13, 2019
This will be child's play compared to how much PMS would sell for in Nigeria, if the dullard were to be reelected.

98 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by chenel: 4:36pm On Jan 13, 2019
Hmm

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by LuciferVirgin: 4:37pm On Jan 13, 2019
Zimbabwe does not produce oil so oil prices there can be whatever it wants to be.

Zombies are trying to justify the fraudulent fuel price hike of their corrupt saviour who said 5 years ago that "subsidy was a fraud" but went ahead to do just that.

I'm sure he is planning to increase it again hence this meaningless news.

*spits angry

145 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by madridguy(m): 4:38pm On Jan 13, 2019
tongue
Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by zombieTRACKER: 4:40pm On Jan 13, 2019
Mugabe's strained relationship with the west really messed up that country...

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by zombieTRACKER: 4:41pm On Jan 13, 2019
madridguy:
tongue

At least we agree that Buhari is a failure

Now go and sin no more

Heaven has forgiven you

No more sai barbering again

30 Likes

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by philips007(m): 4:42pm On Jan 13, 2019
Nahwah'oO
Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 13, 2019
If the lifeless bigot should wins the next election this is how much we would buy fuel in Nigeria.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by Pvin: 4:42pm On Jan 13, 2019
A mango tree does not worry when the Orange tree is producing fruits in its season. When you see me sitting in a restaurant without food on my table don’t feel pity for me, I am waiting for my order. When your season comes, nothing will stand in your way., The slow movement of a Lion doesn’t show weakness or tiredness but rather calculated steps to get it’s prey… Never bother how fast people are moving. Move at your own pace and trust God to see you through. Remember its not how fast you build your house but it’s how firm and strong your house will be when the storms come. Good things come to those who wait. Have a blessed and lovely Sunday

142 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by didfy: 4:42pm On Jan 13, 2019
So we should make ours N700 ?
Do they have oil?

Trash are paid for to be brought to front page these days just for this election

Sorry Naija

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 13, 2019
We don't value what we have until it's lost!!

Nigerians in that country will be 'smiling' now!

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by RTSC: 4:42pm On Jan 13, 2019
How do they survive?

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by bedspread: 4:43pm On Jan 13, 2019
So what's your Point??

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by crownwealth: 4:43pm On Jan 13, 2019
I fear for Nigeria if the dullardino mistakenly win the election

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by Justbeingreal(m): 4:43pm On Jan 13, 2019

2litre = 2,408

The matter tie wrapper o...

Hopefully Oga @the top after them rig election next month will not continue his heartless plan from 145naira to the next higher level.....

Cuz I know say him go don draft plenty fear factor for Nigerians if only God can just do a miracle and answer our prayers...

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by Respect55(m): 4:43pm On Jan 13, 2019
We are coming after them. Thanks to Bubu
Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by theoldpretender(m): 4:43pm On Jan 13, 2019
LuciferVirgin:
Zimbabwe does not produce oil so oil prices there can be whatever it wants to be.

Zombies are trying to justify the fraudulent fuel price hike of their corrupt saviour who said 5 years ago that "subsidy was a fraud" but went ahead to do just that.

I'm sure he is planning to increase it again hence this meaningless news.

*spits angry

So your Savior GEJ was wrong when he removed subsidy in 2012...? eh?

Look, GE removed subsidy in 2012 BECAUSE it was no longer sustainable. Nigerians like you opposed him then, he reinstated subsidy, by 2013...when import price of oil rose above the cost price..the subsidy became unsustainable...to the point that marketers were engaging in scams to keep afloat.(That is the scam that Bubu was talking about).

And when Bubu came, because he did not want to lose power...he kept subsidy until landing cost was N132....while we were selling fuel at N87. Meanwhile...oil prices had fallen, our revenues were falling...and we had no choice...that is when Kalichulwu and Emefiele talked sense...and subsidy was removed...prices raised to N145.

Now landing cost is N190. Prices are at N145. For every liter of fuel,we are paying N55 naira as subsidy....And that does not allow NNPC or marketers make a profit.....and that is why we do not have more refineries, our downstream sector is messy, and why we have scarcity, and more scams .

So, either prices rise, subsidy goes, we save trillions of naira that we can use for other things....or we keep subsidy...and keep on wrecking our economy

SUBSIDY MUST GO!

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by DesChyko: 4:44pm On Jan 13, 2019
Wow! These are the people that really need IMF and China loans intervention shocked
Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by vision2050: 4:44pm On Jan 13, 2019
Dapo is the main man

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by Flattino(m): 4:44pm On Jan 13, 2019
Thank god for Buhari

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by Princeton92(m): 4:44pm On Jan 13, 2019
Are they on recession? Lol
Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by omooba969(m): 4:44pm On Jan 13, 2019
Wetin concern me with Zimbabwe fuel pump price. undecided
Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by Enoch07: 4:44pm On Jan 13, 2019
I pity that country
Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by Oweku: 4:45pm On Jan 13, 2019
E b like say Robert Mugabe better pass this Unagagua abi na wetin b that their current president funny name?

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by sotall(m): 4:45pm On Jan 13, 2019
Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 13, 2019
Sometimes rebelling against the system doesn't necessary mean a push in the right direction.

Just imagine Nigeria's rebellion against PDP in 2015

See Mugabe's rebellion against white rule...

Where did it all lead to? Nowhere.

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by globalresource: 4:45pm On Jan 13, 2019
See them
Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by raphealolami(m): 4:45pm On Jan 13, 2019
Best thing on a sunday on nairaland. DEEP!!!
Pvin:
A mango tree does not worry when the Orange tree is producing fruits in its season. When you see me sitting in a restaurant without food on my table don’t feel pity for me, I am waiting for my order. When your season comes, nothing will stand in your way., The slow movement of a Lion doesn’t show weakness or tiredness but rather calculated steps to get it’s prey… Never bother how fast people are moving. Move at your own pace and trust God to see you through. Remember its not how fast you build your house but it’s how firm and strong your house will be when the storms come. Good things come to those who wait. Have a blessed and lovely Sunday

Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by Oblitz(m): 4:46pm On Jan 13, 2019
Ours could be worse if you vote the vultures, vampires and witch party

https://www.nairaland.com/6184/nigeria-happiest-country-world
Then they came......vultures and vampires and cast a spell on us, took away our happiness and now we're the poorest unhappiest people in the world.
Vote wisely
Re: Petrol Now N1,204 Per Litre From #480 In Zimbabwe by RTSC: 4:46pm On Jan 13, 2019
zombieTRACKER:
Mugabe's strained relationship with the west really messed up that country...
The best president for them now would be someone that can bring them back into the international community and relieve their economics stress even if it means becoming a western puppet with sense.
There is no shame in it.

Not every country can survive been anti western.

You need to be strong before you can go it alone.

5 U.S Soldiers Die In Helicopter Crash During Training / Pictures Of Pope Francis In South Korea / Japan Reopens Beaches Hit By 2011 Nuclear, Tsunami Disaster(photos)