Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,538 members, 7,816,309 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast (1047 Views)

Why Do We Find It Difficult To Pray Five Times Daily / The Day Of Arafat: Muslims Encouraged to Fast / To Fast On The 9th And 10th Of Muharram(23rd And 24th Nov.2012) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast by igbele(f): 12:16pm On Aug 12, 2010
yesterday i fasted but wen it reached about 4:30 pm, i almost collapsed. is a pregnant woman exempted frm fasting
Re: Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast by azharuddin: 3:43pm On Aug 12, 2010
Assalamualaikum sister,
                                       It seems its obligatory for pregnant woman to observe fast UNLESS there is genuine fear of harm to the mother or the fetus. In that case it is obligatory to make up your fast later.

Ibn ‘Abbaas said: This is a concession allowed to old men and women, who can only fast with difficulty; they are allowed to break the fast and to feed one poor person for each day of fasting missed. This also applies to pregnant and nursing women, if they are afraid.” Abu Dawood said: “i.e., if they are afraid for their children, they may break the fast.”
(Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1947; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Irwa’, 4/18, 25).
Re: Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast by Aishabee(f): 2:42pm On Aug 16, 2010
Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 1/487

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Pregnant and breastfeeding women come under the same ruling as those who are sick. If fasting is too difficult for them, it is prescribed for them to break the fast, and they have to make up missed fasts when they are able to do so, just as in the case of one who is sick. Some of the scholars were of the view that it is sufficient for them to feed one poor person for each day missed, but this is a weak (da’eef) view. The correct view is that they have to make up the missed days, as is the case of those who were sick and for travellers, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:184]

This is also indicated by the hadeeth of Anas ibn Maalik al-Ka’bi, according to which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Allaah has exempted the traveller from the obligation of fasting and has reduced the prayer by half for him, and has exempted pregnant and breastfeeding women from the obligation of fasting.” (Narrated by the five).

End quote. From Tuhfat al-Ikhwaan bi Ajwabah Muhimmah tata’alliq bi Arkaan al-Islam, p. 171

And Allaah knows best.

This is an extract from Islam q&a im not sure you have to fast if its difficult for you.
Re: Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast by zayhal(f): 11:32am On Aug 17, 2010
@ Aishabee

I'm not sure the hadith that says a pregnant/breastfeeding woman should feed a poor person is weak. Allah who made laws is All-knowing and All-wise and He gave abundant wisdom to the Noble Prophet muhammed (saw).

Consider a scenario where a woman is pregnant in Ramadhan 2005 and couldn't fast. By Ramadhan 2006, she hasn't been able to make up the missed fast because she's still breastfeeding. Ramadhan 2007 meets her pregnant again and of course, she's breastfeeding by Ramadhan 2008. Some people can have 3 children in a stretch of 5 years. How would such person make up the missed fasts, 30/29 in 5 places, you know.

I believe the ruling that permits women in these circumstances to feed a poor person is more realistic. Infact, I'm reading for the first time that this ruling is da'eef (weak).

Allah knows best.
Re: Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast by Aishabee(f): 12:05pm On Aug 17, 2010
@ Zayhal

May Allah be our guide, as stated below my write up that was not my personal opinion It was an extract i got from islam q&a

Please feel free to visit the site  and also get further clarification from knowledgeable people around. My main aim was to point to her that she didn't have to fast if it was difficult for her.
Re: Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast by zayhal(f): 1:03pm On Aug 17, 2010
Alright sis. smiley

I do visit the site. It's my homepage. May Allah accept our good deeds and continue to guide us.
Re: Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast by bizpreneur(m): 3:02pm On Sep 01, 2010
@Aishabee on d
Fataawa of al-Shaykh Ibn'Uthaymn,
Shkh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah av mercy on him) dat did says: Prgnant& breastfeedin womn com under d same ruling as those who ar sick.If dey finding it 2u dificult 2 fast;it is prscribd 4 dem 2 break D fast&Dey av 2 mak up misd fasts wen dey ar able to do so!wel ur verdct is quite d rght opton 4 dis sistr,Dats y ALLAH says FASTING is His 2 rewrd as reportd by1 of d hadth of d holy prphet,S.A.W.).
Re: Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast by zayhal(f): 8:04pm On Sep 01, 2010
@bizprenuer

Even though I am not in a position to dispute any scholar as I am only a student of knowledge, I can say for sure that there is a contrary opinion to the ones above, only that I can't search now, insha Allah I'll do so when I'm able to.

But then, I say again, consider the predicament of a woman who gets pregnant and breastfeeds in turn for 5 consecutive years and finds it extremely overbearing to fast either when pregnant or breastfeeding. This is not a condition I'm just illustrating, I'm telling of a real life case, the sister had 3 kids in 5years and she breastfed each for over one year. She gets pregnant immediately she weans a child.

Now if this sister intends to pay back the missed fasts, that'll be 30/29*5=150/145days. I doubt if it'd be easy for anyone to pay this back, considering that she's not even stopping at 3 kids. Islam does not lay a burden on a soul more than he can bare (Surah baqarah).

Although since it is a scholarly opinion, any one is free to choose which is convenient for her. The important thing is that whatever we do, as long as it is done sincerely, then I believe that Allah will reward us accordingly.

And Allah knows best.
Re: Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast by babs787(m): 9:16pm On Sep 02, 2010
@Poster,

Slight modification to earlier post.

Pregnant women and nursing mothers are exempted from fasting but if they feel that they would be able to cope and not cause harm to the baby foetus or themselves, they could fast.

@Aishabee

Pregnant and breastfeeding women come under the same ruling as those who are sick. If fasting is too difficult for them, it is prescribed for them to break the fast, and they have to make up missed fasts when they are able to do so, just as in the case of one who is sick. Some of the scholars were of the view that it is sufficient for them to feed one poor person for each day missed, but this is a weak (da’eef) view. The correct view is that they have to make up the missed days, as is the case of those who were sick and for travellers, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

It can never be a weak Hadith as Allah told us in Quran 2 v 184 that:

Observing Saum (fasts)] for a fixed number of days, but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days. And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g. an old man, etc.), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskîn (poor person) (for every day). But whoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him. And that you fast, it is better for you if only you know.

I would appreciate if you could show me where it is written that it is weak.

@Bizpreneur

Fataawa of al-Shaykh Ibn'Uthaymn,
Shkh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah av mercy on him) dat did says: Prgnant& breastfeedin womn com under d same ruling as those who ar sick.If dey finding it 2u dificult 2 fast;it is prscribd 4 dem 2 break D fast&Dey av 2 mak up misd fasts wen dey ar able to do so!wel your verdct is quite d rght opton 4 dis sistr,Dats y ALLAH says FASTING is His 2 rewrd as reportd by1 of d hadth of d holy prphet,S.A.W.).

Let me start form where Allah says:

, but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days. And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g. an old man, etc.), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskîn (poor person) (for every day). But whoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him. And that you fast, it is better for you if only you know. [b][/b]

At this point, we need to understand when a person that missed part of fasting needs to either feed the poor or fast the number of days missed.

Making up a missed Ramadhan has a time frame and must be done before the commencement of another Ramadhan.

For example, just like Zayhal said, we have cases where women would be breastfeeding this year and be pregnant next coming Ramahan or be pregnant this year and be breastfeeding next year.

Scholars have disagreed on whether a a nursing, pregnant woman is to make up her missed fast or feed a poor person per day or even do both.

Hanafiyyah, Abu Ubaid, Abu Thaur said that the woman must fast the number of days missed. Ibn Abbas, ad-Daraqutni, al-Hakim, Abu Dawud, Ibn Umar believed that the woman must feed the poor and not fast while Ahmed, as-Shafii said that the woman must pay ransom (feed the poor) and make up the days later.

Based on what Zayhal said, feeding the poor is enough for a pregnant or nursing mother because she would have no opportunity  to make up the missed fasting.

You could imagine a woman that is constantly breastfeeding and needs to make up for the missed fasting, how many years do you think the woman would need to pay back? She may end up fasting for the rest of her life which is against the saying of Allah that he desireth ease for us and not difficulty.

Allah knows best.
Re: Help Pls! Five Months Pregnanat. Finding It Difficult To Fast by zayhal(f): 7:51am On Sep 03, 2010
Jazakumullah khayran.

(1) (Reply)

Firoq In Islam / How Did Christianity Become Mixed With Polytheistic Beliefs? / Make The Most Of Your Time And Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.