Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight (8288 Views)

One Stowaway Plunges To Death From BA Plane, The Second Survived (pics) / Buhari's BA Flight: Live Updates / Bankole - Our Leaders Love To Rule And Die In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by Nchara: 3:41pm On Aug 12, 2010
Oyetunji Abioye

Punch

Facts emerged on wednesday that British Airways prevented the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Dimeji Bankole and his personal Assistanyt, Mr Emmanuel Adgoke, from boarding a flight to London last Friday.
Our crrespondent learnt that bankole and his aide were at the BA boarding gate at Murtala Muhammed International Airport , Ikeja,Lagos when BA security officials aske to search the Speaker's luggage for screening. the speaker was said to have prevented Adegoke from handing over yhe luggage and they subsequently returned to the terminal building and left the airport.
The speaker has, however, reacted to the development, saying he and his aide left the aiport to avoid causing a scene.
It was learnt that the BA Station Manager, identified as Mr. Axvies Ekwem, denied the speaker and his aide entry into the aircraft at about 22.45pm. during the secondary screening of intending passengers to UK.
It was alleged that the speaker had earlier breached a step in the primary screening process carried out by officials of the Federal Airport, Authority of Nigeria. he was alleged to have refused to allow security officials to conduct a pat-down screening on him.
A source said, "After passing through the metal detector machine, the speaker refused FAAN security official called 'AVSEC Aliu' from carrying out the screening on him."
The Federal Federal Government, through the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, had ordered 100 percent screening, including pat downs on all outbound passengers. The 100 per centscreening order followed an alleged attempt by a Nigerian, Farouk AbdulMutallab, to bomb a United States airliner over Detroit, Michigan, United states.
Bankole eventually travelled the following day (Saturday) to London aboard a Virgin Atlantic flight. Airport officials, who declined to be named, said the speaker was properlly screened before boarding the flight.
Contacted for comments, BA said in an email, "Due to the Data Protection Act, we are unable to comment on individual customers,aircraft and staff is always our top priority."
But background information obtained on the incident reads, "On August 6, the speaker of the Nigerian House of Representatives, Mr. Bankole dimeji, and his PA, Adegoke Emmanuel, were offloaded prior to boarding BA074 at Lagos Airport.
"They refused to surrender their four pieces of hand luggage to BA security for hand search. The airline's duty manager explained to the speaker that this was a mandatory security check; he still refused and tried to force his way into the aircraft. He was immediately offloaded. Airline and other airpot duty officials including the Captain and London security duty manager were informed. Some customers witnessed the incident."
A statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Idowu Bakare, titled, Why Bankole disembarked from BA flight," reads, "For the record,the British Government exempts securitysearches on Presidents, Vice-presidents and Speakers of national parliaments among other VIPs and British Airways is the national carrier of Britain.
"On Friday night, after all security checks on the speaker's aide that accompanied him, BA's local officials had demanded that the hand luggage of the speaker must be searched, against the rules of British Government and British Aviation Authority (BAA). To avoid ny scene the Speaker cancelled his trip and disembarked from the flight.

=========================================================================================================================

Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight’By Sunday Okobi, 08.12.2010

Fct

In response to inquiries from the media on why the Speaker of the House of Rep, Rt Hon. Dimeji Bankole disembarked from British Airway flight to London last week Friday, his Chief Press Secretary, Idowu Bakare has clear the air saying that the Airway line violated the rules of British Government and British Aviation Authority (BAA) when the security officials insisted that the hand luggage of the Speaker must be searched, and in avoidance of any embarrassing scene, Bankole has to disembark from the flight.
“For the record, British Government exempt security searches on Presidents, Vice Presidents and Speakers of the National Parliaments among other VIPs and British Airways is the national carrier of Britain.
“On Friday night after all security checks on the Speaker’s aide that accompanied him, the BA’s local officials had demanded that the hand luggage of the Speaker must be searched against the rules of British Government and British Aviation Authority (BAA). To avoid any scene the Speaker cancelled his trip and disembarked from the flight,” Bakare stated.
In a statement made available to THISDAY yesterday, he disclosed that, “when the Speaker travelled to London through another airline the next day, his hand luggage was not searched and on his return trip through BA, his hand luggage was equally not searched based on the exemption which have been confirmed from BAA Office in London.
“We are at a loss at the attitude of BA local officials wondering if it has to do with alleged refusal of Speaker’s aide to ‘tip’ the BA officials who ordinarily should be conversant with the rules of their organization,” he expressed.
However, Bakare has said the ugly incident has been reported to relevant aviation and security agencies for investigation.

_http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=180509
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by Nchara: 3:43pm On Aug 12, 2010
Lets see which airline will board Bank-ole without the necessary security checks. I can imagine him asking ''do you know who I am''? Buffoon.
Is he not the 'number 4'' man in Nigeria? He should travel in ''official flights'' if he does not want to be subjected to what every other person is subjected to
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by seanet02: 3:47pm On Aug 12, 2010
Nchara:

Lets see which airline will board Bank-ole without the necessary security checks. I can imagine him asking ''do you know who I am''? Buffoon.[b][/b]Is he not the 'number 4'' man in Nigeria? He should travel in ''official flights'' if he does not want to be subjected to what every other person is subjected to
JUST LIKE THE evil genius, traitor, murderer, cocaine pusher, coupist, looter babangimad asking Nigerians who the hell his fucking traitor is
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by Pukkah: 3:56pm On Aug 12, 2010
Nchara:

“For the record, British Government exempt security searches on Presidents, Vice Presidents and Speakers of the National Parliaments among other VIPs and British Airways is the national carrier of Britain.
“On Friday night after all security checks on the Speaker’s aide that accompanied him, the BA’s local officials had demanded that the hand luggage of the Speaker must be searched against the rules of British Government and British Aviation Authority (BAA). To avoid any scene the Speaker cancelled his trip and disembarked from the flight,” Bakare stated.
In a statement made available to THISDAY yesterday, he disclosed that, “when the Speaker travelled to London through another airline the next day, his hand luggage was not searched and on his return trip through BA, his hand luggage was equally not searched based on the exemption which have been confirmed from BAA Office in London.
“We are at a loss at the attitude of BA local officials wondering if it has to do with alleged refusal of Speaker’s aide to ‘tip’ the BA officials who ordinarily should be conversant with the rules of their organization,” he expressed.
However, Bakare has said the ugly incident has been reported to relevant aviation and security agencies for investigation.

_http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=180509

BA also needs to explain why they insisted on searching his hand luggage if the highlighted is true. Yeah, am feeling uncomfortable with Bankole's moves in recent times - the handling of the corruption allegation by the Melaye group, the fisticuffs with Daniel at Ota, silencing of Reps that wanted to take on OBJ - but the British govt. must respect our sovereignty according to the rules.
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by Nchara: 3:59pm On Aug 12, 2010
Pukkah:

BA also needs to explain why they insisted on searching his hand luggage if the highlighted is true. Yeah, am feeling uncomfortable with Bankole's moves in recent times - the handling of the corruption allegation by the Melaye group, the fisticuffs with Daniel at Ota, silencing of Reps that wanted to take on OBJ - but the British govt. must respect our sovereignty according to the rules.

They must have sensed he had looted funds in his luggage. Better we prevent money being looted than protecting the official ego of a Bank-Ole
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by Pukkah: 4:21pm On Aug 12, 2010
Nchara:

They must have sensed he had looted funds in his luggage. Better we prevent money being looted than protecting the official ego of a Bank-Ole

Don't our so-called anti-corruption agencies have enough facts already with which to drag him to court? The Melaye case is sufficient to dock him yet EFCC has suddenly gone deaf and dumb. He declined to travel with BA but eventually did with Virgin. You see where the problem is? At home.

Someone might even argue that the luggage exemption rule breeds corruption but what has Jonathan's government done to ex-governors, ex-ministers, ex-Senate Presidents, ex-Speakers,etc. Or is he waiting for 2011?
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 12, 2010
the 4 bag must have been loaded with illegally obtained money etc.
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 12, 2010
Bankole is a dangerous thug, he might have had narcotic drugs inside that luggage sef, who knows.

His reputation obviously went before him grin
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:42am On Aug 13, 2010
this guy really has issues.
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by IbroYaya: 12:45am On Aug 13, 2010
Whatever be the case, I don't know why this people treat Nigerians with less respect.
How can they give full searching for  the speaker of house reps. Its really wrong.
I once worked in the airport I know how Diplomatic goods are handled.
If a cargo or baggage belongs to a diplomat and is tagged diplomatic consignment, Nobody has the right to open it for examination
Not even Customs or SSS or NDLEA. And if it gets opened by mistake, its a big problem to the company handling. I am talking of unaccompanied
goods, not even the ones that are being accompanied like the speakers own.

That's wrong on the part of the airline. There are many ways to catch him if he were smuggling  out  some heavy currencies.
British Ambassador will never be treated that way but the number four citizen of this country is treated that way. Well this might not be the true picture of what transpired.
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by philip0906(m): 12:49am On Aug 13, 2010
Ibro Yaya:

Whatever be the case, I don't know why this people treat Nigerians with less respect.
How can they give full searching for  the speaker of house reps. Its really wrong.
I once worked in the airport I know how Diplomatic goods are handled.
If a cargo or baggage belongs to a diplomat and is tagged diplomatic consignment, Nobody has the right to open it for examination
Not even Customs or SSS or NDLEA. And if it gets opened by mistake, its a big problem to the company handling. I am talking of unaccompanied
goods, not even the ones that are being accompanied like the speakers own.

That's wrong on the part of the airline. There are many ways to catch him if he were smuggling  out  some heavy currencies.
British Ambassador will never be treated that way but the number four citizen of this country is treated that way. Well this might not be the true picture of what transpired.
ur talk make sense,but when it comes 2 our politicians,me I no dey pity dem undecided
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by AloyEmeka5: 1:12am On Aug 13, 2010
It was learnt that the BA Station Manager, identified as Mr. Axvies Ekwem, denied the speaker and his aide entry into the aircraft at about 22.45pm. during the secondary screening of intending passengers to UK

Why should British Airways pat him down when he is covered by immunity?. And the person who kicked him out from the plane is Nigerian for that matter. I may detest Bankole but he was disrespected in this case.
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by Beaf: 1:16am On Aug 13, 2010
The man was carrying "sontin". grin
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by AloyEmeka5: 1:19am On Aug 13, 2010
Beaf:

The man was carrying "sontin". grin

They over reacted. Were they expecting the speaker of the house to carry bombs or drugs?.

Will it be proper for Nigeria airways to search Hilary Clinton if she is on her way to Nigeria for official visit or vacation?
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by Beaf: 1:23am On Aug 13, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

They over reacted. Were they expecting the speaker of the house to carry bombs or drugs?.

Will it be proper for Nigeria airways to search Hilary Clinton if she is on her way to Nigeria for official visit or vacation?

I don't think BA would have had the guts to search Bankole. I am sure the real story will slowly bubble to the surface.
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by Nchara: 1:25am On Aug 13, 2010
Hey! The only Nigerian politicians who should escape such luggage search are those using govt or private jets. Given the extent of their lootery, I will even subscribe that the president's luggage be searched if he ever flies publicly.
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by dustydee: 10:17am On Aug 13, 2010
this guy(Bankole) needs to learn humility, That security man needs to be punished and BA must apologise
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by darqly(m): 10:32am On Aug 13, 2010
This is what power does to a man. Even common governors cause delays for flights let alone this agbero.

1 Like

Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by desgiezd(m): 11:42am On Aug 13, 2010
Why does this guy keep having issues at every place he goes?
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by eros(m): 12:09pm On Aug 13, 2010
His days are simply numbered. When a man is going the way of no return, signs like this always follow him. Sooner or later Bank - OLE will be caught in his own web.
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by abacus(m): 12:11pm On Aug 13, 2010
Really, I still don't understand how some of us reason sef.

There is a rule that must be followed, the BA guys failed to honour (follow) rules, and the speaker left for another flight without creating scene. Now you guys are blaming him again.

Remember, he came back using BA and there was no noise. I know the guy is humble, but once a politician, you are always one.

I heard of an incident,  where the same Speaker gave out his seat for a passenger due to matter not concern him at all.
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by JUO(m): 12:24pm On Aug 13, 2010
They over reacted. Were they expecting the speaker of the house to carry bombs or drugs
yes
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by marcus1234: 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2010
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by ijcurt(f): 12:38pm On Aug 13, 2010
JUO:

yes
lol grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by ud4u: 12:58pm On Aug 13, 2010
If he has no skeleton in his cupboard, he would have allowed them to search him but nevetheless as far as the they have agreement with London government not to search the major executives, he is right then. At least he is reminding them of their agreement.

But we should not forget that equality before the law is not in existence in Nigeria, or have we?

1 Like

Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by ayobami119: 1:04pm On Aug 13, 2010
I must commend the BA officials for job welldone.
bankole is a big thief, and he must pay for all his misdeed. why didnt allow the official to checked him if their is know any skeleton in his cupboard.
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by ayobami119: 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2010
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by ayobami119: 1:19pm On Aug 13, 2010
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by gReenmAn(m): 1:29pm On Aug 13, 2010
Thief or no thief, thug or no thug, Bankole is still the number 4 citizen of Nigeria, duly covered by diplomatic immunity.
The overzealous Nigerian BA official must not go unpunished, and BA must render an unequivocal apology to the Honorable.

Nigerians should learn to remove unbridled sentiments from statutory courtesies as in this case.
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by GBT(m): 2:35pm On Aug 13, 2010

SPOT ON!
i DONT KNOW WHO THE SPEAKER IS AND CANT BE BOTHER, FOR ALL I CARE HE IS PART OF THE PROBLEM NIGERIA HAS BUT IF THE LAW STATES THAT, A, IS IT SO SHALL IT BE WHETHER IT CONCERN A BLACK MAN/WOMEN FROM THE DEVELOPING COUNTRY OR NOT
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by 080Nigeria(m): 2:46pm On Aug 13, 2010
I have also been very uncomfortable with some of his (the speaker's) recent moves. However, it is an high level insult from the BA officials. It shows disregard for our government in every way. It is even a national embarrassment.

Yet, I can't but feel that our politicians have brought this mess on us. We've rubbished ourselves so much with corruption that the world- even grossly unqualified people- easily find it convenient to pour dirt on us. So who's fault is it? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Bankole Disembarked from BA Flight by DoubleN(m): 2:52pm On Aug 13, 2010
Na so them just throway the return ticket moneyNa wa o! Other peoples sweat.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Biafra: Uche Mefor In A Meeting With United Nation Today / Kwara State Governor dumps APC And Defects To PDP / Ugwuanyi’s Wife Donates Cervical Cancer Screening Machines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.