Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,752 members, 7,809,884 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals (19705 Views)

AFCON 2019: Nigeria Gets Medals, Fans Celebrate 3rd Place (Photos) / Ava And Mia Mikel Obi Show Their Winning Medals At Sports Day In School / Nigeria Ends Commonwealth Games With 24 Medals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by ijustdey: 11:37am On Jan 15, 2019
Former Nigeria international, Nwankwo Kanu, cut a pitiable sight in Lagos on Monday as he revealed how suspected vandals invaded his The Hardley Apartments situated along Waziri Ibrahim Crescent on Victoria Island, making away with his football medals, trophies, plaques and other valuable items.

The hotel has been sealed up since 2015 sequel to an alleged default in transaction between it and Skye Bank (now Polaris Bank), leading to series of litigation that is still pending at the Federal High Court, Ikoyi, Lagos. The last hearing came up in November last year after which the case was adjourned till 31 January 2019.

But a shocked Kanu, who was in London for the Yuletide, learnt from relatives and business associates in Nigeria last week that the Apartments, with registration number 509102, had been occupied by some authorized persons who had also commenced renovation of the facility in disregard of the seal order and litigation, forcing him to arrive in Nigeria over the weekend to verify the claims.

“It was a rude shock to me,” Kanu, who fought back tears at what the hitherto sprawling facility had become since the renovation started, told TheCable.

“I almost couldn’t recognise the hotel as belonging to me anymore. This is the saddest day of my life as I cannot understand why this happen to me when the matter has yet to be settled in court.

The Apartments

“All the medals I have earned, in addition to the Olympic torch that I cherished are all gone and I don’t even know who to ask for all these prized assets.”

TheCable learnt that a man who was seen supervising the illegal renovation of the Apartments declined identifying himself nor who he was working for, although upon being pressed revealed that he was a staff of the Assets Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON), leading to suspicion that the assets managers may have also disregarded the court proceedings by taking over the property.

“This is unacceptable in all ramifications. I have not been served any notice that I have lost this property and until I am served the notice, it remains my legal property,” the former Super Eagles’ captain said.

“Even cars and buses belonging to the hotel can no longer be found and I wonder where they could have been moved to without my knowledge,” Kanu further said, even as he lamented how the four-year seal of the facility had adversely affected treatment for numerous patients that his Kanu Heart Foundation planned to rescue from their ailment. “We have used proceeds from the hotel business to effect treatment for the patients over the years and now we are being forced to seek funds elsewhere, a situation that has stalled the treatment considerably especially since 2016.”

An emotion-filled Kanu submitted: “During my service to this country in football up to year 2000, I made many Nigerians happy. I don’t think I deserve this sadness in retirement.”

https://www.thecable.ng/shocking-vandals-cart-away-kanus-medals

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by Bizmagnet: 11:42am On Jan 15, 2019
This is just ridiculous. Those robbers should be caught and made to suffer till death. I pray you get your stuffs back asap. The football legend should be respected at least.
Need a website/blog/software? Check my signature.

13 Likes

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by NaijaMutant(f): 11:43am On Jan 15, 2019
It's quite unfortunate.

Gather here if your utmost concern is how to send the nepotistic, bigoted and evil dullard back to Daura next month grin

This may sound crazy, but whatever you do to ensure that Nigeria is rescued from the path of destruction by buhari is a welcome development. cool

52 Likes

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by joshuaidibia(m): 11:43am On Jan 15, 2019
Buhari!!! Why?? sad

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by 1Poposki1(m): 11:43am On Jan 15, 2019
Join me in crying for Nigeria's future

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by inoki247: 11:43am On Jan 15, 2019
You no get CCTV cam ni. Why b say na only u dey always fall for Armed robber hand.. Mikel Obi father Falling in Kidnappers hand...
Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by deleo16(m): 11:43am On Jan 15, 2019
I am not supporting crime but the way things are happen in this country crime rate will increase the more. and it's happening to an ex international he is not even spared or respected this evil political elites have weaponize poverty and obtain dual citizenship Nigeria is another company from them while there home is abroad they are here to loot the country dry ,so what u see happen to kanu is because of failed public organisation like the police or army imagine he is an ordinary citizen . any where u see war,hunger , starvation ,no power bad road e.tc the root cause is POVERTY noting more i pray the perpertrators are brought to book

4 Likes

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by bugggg: 11:43am On Jan 15, 2019
Whr e wan start
Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by publicenemy(m): 11:43am On Jan 15, 2019
This is why I don't want Britain to return the artifacts they stole from Benin City my home...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by Opinionated: 11:43am On Jan 15, 2019
Nigerian Police will handle this, or what do you think

Financial Fundamentals to Create a More Ideal Life

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by tstx(m): 11:43am On Jan 15, 2019
Its very easy to catch themm... Make police just hang around blacksmith them workshops..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by crownwealth: 11:45am On Jan 15, 2019
Ogbonna Kanu should be blamed for running the facility to hut.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by slawomir: 11:45am On Jan 15, 2019
Isoright

Nigeria nor dey give us anything
Na we dey give naija something
The one when we manage get at the end Nigeria go take am away from our hand

2 Likes

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 15, 2019
A practical illustration of 'monkey work, baboon chop'. Oh Naija...

1 Like

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by troubleboi: 11:45am On Jan 15, 2019
Na wa o.. Papilo hw your property tke go court for litigation.. I believe you should go back to the court, perhaps they have an explanation to make..
Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 15, 2019
Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by Kaetoh: 11:45am On Jan 15, 2019
Sad
Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 15, 2019
Sad...but Nigeria is a pretty lawless country (no offense) he should have broken in long ago and retrieved his medals and trophy, and i trust that the illiterates that stole them don't know what antiques mean.

13 Likes

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by deedy111: 11:46am On Jan 15, 2019
Doing business in a failed country
Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by TimFisher2: 11:46am On Jan 15, 2019
embarassed

Cursed and forsaken goddamn country

Tomorrow someone will tell me to put my country first

Nonsense

See how some people are laughing because he is not from their tribe

When KANU was giving his best....he gave it for all Nigerians to enjoy

Sad how he is been dehumanized

Papilo don't worry God will surely elevate you to where you least expect

The World will celebrate soon!

6 Likes

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by feelib(m): 11:46am On Jan 15, 2019
Sad
Gain admission into 2oo level of any university of your choice via Direct Entry admission on www.EducoreNigeria.com
Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by Jaytee1985: 11:46am On Jan 15, 2019
Sorry bro
Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by obonujoker(m): 11:47am On Jan 15, 2019
This is too bad.... Nigerians are just too wicked... No morals, no integrity, no integrity... And they will say they are going to church and mosques.... No wonder they can't stop voting for low life idiots like Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu, ibori, etc...

How can any sane person steal from someone like KANU...

Mtcheww....

6 Likes

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by StFrankeinstein(m): 11:47am On Jan 15, 2019
Very Sad
Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 15, 2019
1Poposki1:
Join me in crying for Nigeria's future
let's go there...

5 Likes

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by SolelySolar: 11:48am On Jan 15, 2019
grin
Question is, why Seal the Ex player s Hotel.
Did He not really Purchase it in the First place or
All of a sudden it stopped being His Own.

There is So much Injustice in this Country.

Tueh tueh tueeehhhh

2 Likes

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by myettiallah: 11:48am On Jan 15, 2019
A
Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by buchibrand(m): 11:49am On Jan 15, 2019
Go ahead and sue whoever is found to be behind the takeover and renovation. Claim 500 Billion Naira damages and don't forget to get Ogbologbo lawyers (SAN)

6 Likes

Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by pyyxxaro: 11:49am On Jan 15, 2019
Papilo I know say one day you go make us proud lipsrsealed
Re: Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals by pyyxxaro: 11:49am On Jan 15, 2019
Papilo I know say one day you go make us proud lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FC Barcelona Becomes 1st Sports Club With 10 Million Subscribers On Youtube / Microsoft Cortana Wins Apple Siri / US-Beijing Standoff: White House Announces Diplomatic Boycott Of Winter Olympics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.