Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,206 members, 7,829,315 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up (3069 Views)

5 Sets Of Persons Who Betrayed Jonathan... And Nemesis Is Catching Up With Them / Southeast State Had Left 5 Southwest States And Rapidly Catching Up On Lagos. / Photos From Adanma Ohakim's Wedding Today In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Nchara: 2:19am On Aug 13, 2010
FASHOLA WAKE UP, OHAKIM IS CATCHING UP  
Godson Offoaro
offoaro@yahoo.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

had gone halfway into the construction of a story about Owerri, my new place of abode, when a new bug of thought struck me. Yes, about the city of Owerri and its alluring attributes. Its beautiful landscape typified by unending rolling plains that stretches and stretches until it meets the bottom of the blue sky somewhere far, faraway. About the lush green plains decorated with wide boulevards well manicured. About is exotic buildings made possible by the class conscious people of this city. The imposing new and stylish buildings exclusively built, near the Concorde Hotel area called Akanchawa. A standard plot of land there, I hear, sells for over forty-five million Naira.

advertisement

Those new and Southern European-mimicked exotic buildings, which make statement of opulence, located around and about the new Imo Housing Estate known as Extension XA. A standard plot there, I hear, sells for nearly ten million Naira. About a unique delicacy named Ofe Owerri (Owerri soup) exhaustively eulogized in many folklores and music lyrics. About the preponderance of hospitality business derived from the ability of its indigenes to make good dishes; about the city of Owerri's serenity-drenched atmosphere; about the ongoing dredging of River Nworie which like an overfed python you could for a whole day as it flows unobtrusively and empties its whole content into the Otamiri River and from there, down into the Atlantic Ocean. What a beautiful waterfront the banks of this new and improved River would be up on completion you wonder in delirious gaze. Above all, you reckon with Owerri's relative attribute as a safe haven for those who want to run away from the hustle and bustle of life as typified by what obtains in the surrounding cacophonic cities of Aba, Port Harcourt, Umuahia, Onitsha and Enugu. It is also a haven for writers, creative artistes, the home to Kanu Nwankwo, Genevieve Nnaji and a horde of other Nollywood actors and actresses. To be sure, Owerri has about five Degree awarding institutions located within walking distance from one another. Owerri is now, my home. I live on a piece of it named Havensgate.

Yes, I was in my mind, paying tribute to this place fancifully and appropriately called the capital of Igbo Heartland -a fine place to live and do business, east of the Niger - when I came upon its newest enchanting vista. A city, which has consistently, been voted the cleanest in Nigeria. Yes, and about its other alluring and attracting vicissitudes which are not fit to publish (lest my wife gets a fit) when suddenly, I came upon a new story line that I think would please my editors and the reading public. Quickly, I crowded my previous lines out in order to now, present you with this. The writer must be mad. Can't you see for yourself?

Driving up Ugwu Orji on my way to Okigwe a few days ago, I came upon bulldozers, earthmoving machines, graders, pay loaders, men in pink-colored uniforms, road superintendents, surveyors and all manners of men involved in road construction. It was a beehive. It quickly reminded me of similar activities that heralded the construction of a similar road project at Cele Bus Stop in Lagos some years ago. The endless hold ups that stretched into Oshodi. It was vintage Fashola. But this is Owerri and this is, vintage Ohakim. When I looked deeper, I noticed that a road which the previous day was occupied by mechanics and roadside vendors had been torn open and apart. I looked further down to see that overnight, the sprawling new road filled with red earth is the latest in Governor Ikedi Ohakim's peculiar initiative to transform Owerri - the Imo State capital.

The workers were busy, scraping, mowing a road that had laid fallow since 2005 when I started coming into Owerri. Upon investigation I was told that Governor Ikedi Ohakim is at it again. He wants to tear a new road which will connect Orji town with Onitsha and Port Harcourt roads, thereby creating a by-pass that inevitably would reduce expected traffic jam on the already crowded downtown roads of Owerri city. This bypass which is captured in a fanciful self explanatory billboard that gave a photo prototype of what the road would like on completion depicts a new road encompassing a flyover and a road network that would circle Owerri like a belt. It is the beginning of the Owerri new ring road.

It made me remember one rainy Saturday morning in mid June 2010. That day, residents our Owerri woke up to witness the worst traffic jam in the history of the town. Reason: That faithful morning, the people of Julius Berger rudely caused untold hardship on the people as they blocked some major roads, thereby causing inexplicable diversions, without warning as they began to excavate concrete slabs buried in one segment of the Owerri Port Harcourt Road. Because nobody knew what was amiss, people reigned curses on the person of governor Ohakim and his administration.

Over a pepper soup discussion that evening with people in my neighborhood who ought to know, the argument went even fiercer. Ohakim is disturbing the lives of his people. Ohakim is a destructive maniac. What is he doing tearing up a road network that has done nothing to him? I was furious, blaming my pepper soups mates that we Nigerians are imbued with the disdainful attribute of impatience. Yes, there may be an emergency road reconstruction going on, but it did not ask the people to stampede and drive against traffic thereby compounding a situation that was already bad because of the newness of traffic diversion, which actually, had caused an untold gridlock.

I admonished that understanding and a wait and see attitude should be the way to go being ignorant myself about what was going on. I was sure that whatever construction or reconstruction work that was going on would eventually be in the best interest of the people. I was emboldened by my inner intuition. Sighting Julius Berger (JB) earthmovers and machines at work further strengthened my resolve. This JB people, I reasoned, do not go to where nothing concrete was happening or was about to happen. Julius Berger people are people of action. They make Things Happen. Few days later, the statute of strength which adored the colonially-designed roundabout at the frontage of Maria Assumpta Cathedral was carefully moved and relocated to a smaller roundabout, along Sam Mbakwe Avenue.

To cut long story short after those initial traffic congestions caused by the frenetic staff of Julius Berger, I beg to report that the JB people have finished their job. The road is now wider. I understand that the JB people had to properly reposition the roundabout leading into Owerri, because work by Julius Berger is about to resume on the Dualization of the Owerri-Port Harcourt Road up to the boundary between Imo and Rivers State. Now, entrance into Owerri either from Port Harcourt, or Onitsha or Aba is a spectacle. It is a cake walk. The long delays we witnessed and that seemingly unendending traffic gridlock has now given way to a smooth and unobtrusive ride into Owerri. Lesson number one learned: No pain, No gain. To reconstruct, you must deconstruct.

As a frequent commentator on political happenings in the east and Nigeria, I had on several occasions commented on the rapid method with which Governors Ohakim and Fashola had taken the bulls by the horn in their respective ways of repacking their individual states. While Governor Fashola's work seem to have cut out for him, that of his friend, is not and should not be enviable at, all. Imo is being built from the scratch. Lagos used to be Nigeria's federal capital.

I had in a previous essay said that Governors Ikedi Ohakim and Raji Fashola are men of similar destiny. That was two years ago, shortly after they were sworn in as the governors of Imo and Lagos, respectively. Then, both men were locked in what seemed like a race to outdo each other performance wise. When Fashola began to deface Lagos in order to repair it, Ohakim embarked on what seemed an anti-people policy, in order to reposition Imo. Then suddenly Fashola tore away. Then there was a loll in Imo.

Now it is like a new dawn in Owerri and to large extent, Imo state. Since, the middle of last month, Owerri had known no sleep. Day in day out, night in night out Ohakim has marshaled out his team. They are busy tearing apart the whole city. No part is spared. The Dualization of the Owerri Okigwe Road is almost complete. The beautification plank is seen in motion as street lights, traffic light, flower and tree planting are in furious gear - everywhere you go to in Owerri. Every nook and cranny of the town is having its own share of renovation, reconstruction and rejuvenation.

The machines are humming non-stop. An army of street cleaners modeled after what is seen on the streets of Lagos, are now seen everywhere in Owerri, the capital of Imo. Men and women are working tirelessly to open up this heartland of Igbo, hitherto neglected. Looks like someone is egging Ohakim to overtake Fashola, after all, competition should be the hallmark of Democracy. Prompting me to now alert Fashola that Ohakim is close on his heels.

These two precious gifts to our 4th republic - one born in the East the other, in the West of Nigeria. One is in his late forties, the other in his early fifties. One, a Master of Business Administration holder, a seasoned administrator and a Ph.D. candidate, the other a versatile lawyer who at a tender age attained the highest home bred accolade in Law - the SAN. Both of them, products of our local universities. One, UNILAG the other UNIBEN. These men are visionaries no matter from what angle you looked at their achievements so far. When I wrote about them the first time, I had opined that if the two men were Americans, public opinion polls would have aided voters to urge their respective political parties to draft them to run for the highest political position in the land. If they belonged to the same party, either would be president the other, a VP.

Unfortunately, it is not so here. Here is a land where mediocrity rules over merit. Here is a land where offices are zoned based on tribe and or the highest bidder. This is a land where the best is relegated to the background while half-baked over-run the system in brazen arrogance and ugly display of wanton ignorance. May I crave your indulgence to go to bed? My tired, my fingers are quaking.
http://nigeriaworld.com/columnist/offoaro/080510.html
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Nchara: 2:25am On Aug 13, 2010
These stories we hear without photos? Plus, Ohakim is pursuing a Ph.D?
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Ikengawo: 3:15am On Aug 13, 2010
yea right lol.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Ofemmanu: 3:49am On Aug 13, 2010
The author of the above article is a patent crook like Ohakim.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by babapupa: 5:13am On Aug 13, 2010
Unfortunate delusions of clueless village superstars.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by bkbabe97y(m): 7:17am On Aug 13, 2010
babapupa:

Unfortunate delusions of clueless village superstars.

You know u starting to piss me off! Wut u think Mr "Blame-Kidnapping-on-economic-fallout-and-Yorubas" aint better than your Guv,huh?
*Snickers*

Meanwhile, I just "captured" three kidnappers. Never mind that they "AKATAS" and have NEVER heard of Biafra, or that they from Brownsville. . . . . .
WHERE THE HELL DO I PICK UP MY REWARD MONEY? I'm just tryna be a good citizen, dawg! grin
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by slap1(m): 7:36am On Aug 13, 2010
This short story belongs to the Literature section. Besides, over sixty percent of the things you listed here have been on ground when Ohakim was still in secondary school. You don't compare that gangster to Fashola.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by slap1(m): 7:36am On Aug 13, 2010
This short story belongs to the Literature section. Besides, over sixty percent of the things you listed here have been on ground when Ohakim was still in secondary school. You don't compare that gangster to Fashola.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Jarus(m): 8:13am On Aug 13, 2010
Is it that thuggish governor?
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by olafolarin(m): 8:40am On Aug 13, 2010
Comparing Ohakim with Fashola is like comparing Hellfire with Heaven.
Ohakim will be replaced come 2011 because of his low performance.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by KnowAll(m): 10:00am On Aug 13, 2010
Ohakim over to you, na your capital the man dey yap like, shame on you Mr Governor. Extract from ordeals of a foreign biker on Nigeria Roads.[b][/b]

[size=14pt]I found myself in Owerri, a city of more than 225,000 people on the northern lip of Nigeria’s Delta Region.

Massive piles of stinking, rotting garbage lined the middle of Owerri’s main road. These half-dozen piles were the size of tractor trailers, and now a bucket-loader was laboring to remove them. The odor was piquant and nauseating, like diapers and death. The thousands of people crammed in proximity to this Third World urban landfill seemed oblivious, or at least resigned, to the stench[/size]
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:41pm On Aug 13, 2010
@ poster na wetin dem send you to come say here? that corrupt and fetish governor called ohakim. angry
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by EzeUche22(m): 1:48pm On Aug 13, 2010
That's a lie. Owerri will remain a backwaters town in my opinion. Not even fit to be a state capital. Umuahia looks a lot better.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by slap1(m): 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2010
EzeUche22:

That's a lie. Owerri will remain a backwaters town in my opinion. Not even fit to be a state capital. Umuahia looks a lot better.
I disagree with you on that.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Kobojunkie: 4:26pm On Aug 13, 2010
EzeUche22:

Have you ever actually been to Owerri? Or Umuahia for that matter? That you attempt to compare Umuahia to Owerri leads me to doubt you have ever actually been to any of the two.

By the way, Umuahia is in Abia State while Owerri is in Imo State. undecided
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by EzeUche22(m): 4:29pm On Aug 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Have you ever actually been to Owerri? Or Umuahia for that matter? That you attempt to compare Umuahia to Owerri leads me to doubt you have ever actually been to any of the two.

By the way, Umuahia is in Abia State while Owerri is in Imo State. undecided

What are you talking about? Everytime I fly to the East for the Christmas holidays, I have to fly into Owerri before I go to Arochukwu. Umuahia looks a lot better in my opinion.

How are you going to tell me about Abia and Imo?  undecided

I would insult u but not it is even worth it. U have some nerve to talk to a NWA AFOR IGBO
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Kobojunkie: 4:32pm On Aug 13, 2010
EzeUche22:

What are you talking about? Everytime I fly to the East for the Christmas holidays, I have to fly into Owerri before I go to Arochukwu. Umuahia looks a lot better in my opinion.
Flying through Owerri and you believe Umuahia is better? I find that hard to believe.

EzeUche22:
How are you going to tell me about Abia and Imo? undecided
Apparently I can
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by EzeUche22(m): 4:37pm On Aug 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Flying through Owerri and you believe Umuahia is better? I find that hard to believe.

Apparently I can

There is nothing to special about Owerri. I prefer Umuahia. Much more centralized. Anyway, I was raised in Port Harcourt.

Apparently you can't unknown tribe woman.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Kobojunkie: 4:50pm On Aug 13, 2010
EzeUche22:

There is nothing to special about Owerri. I prefer Umuahia. Much more centralized. Anyway, I was raised in Port Harcourt.

Apparently you can't unknown tribe woman.

Well, fine that you have your personal preference there BUT again, there is no comparing Umuahia with Owerri. Even Uturu sef. If not that Umuhia is the seat of Government, I bet it would have been worse than Aba.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by seanet02: 4:52pm On Aug 13, 2010
ohakim!! that bloody cultist,ibo dudes will not stop fumbling
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by EzeUche22(m): 5:00pm On Aug 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Well, fine that you have your personal preference there BUT again, there is no comparing Umuahia with Owerri. Even Uturu sef. If not that Umuhia is the seat of Government, I bet it would have been worse than Aba.

Oh so you have a problem with God's Own State! Aba is a nice commercial town! Besides the kidnappers. . . undecided
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Kobojunkie: 5:04pm On Aug 13, 2010
EzeUche22:

Oh so you have a problem with God's Own State! Aba is a nice commercial town! Besides the kidnappers. . . undecided
What has what you have above to do with this? We are speaking of a whole state in a state of decay, and you injecting the extra issue with kidnappers, and God into this why?
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by EzeUche22(m): 5:08pm On Aug 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What has what you have above to do with this? We are speaking of a whole state in a state of decay, and you injecting the extra issue with kidnappers, and God into this why?

The whole country in general is in decay. Can't really compare garbage to garbage now can you?

I see you were looking for a debate, now it is time for me to get serious with you.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Kobojunkie: 5:20pm On Aug 13, 2010
EzeUche22:

The whole country in general is in decay. Can't really compare garbage to garbage now can you?

I see you were looking for a debate, now it is time for me to get serious with you.

a) Is this thread about the whole country?

b) Was your post comparing Owerri to Umuahia about the whole country?

If you really know how to debate, then I should assume you also know how points made or argument being made ought to continue, and fit within the CONTEXT in which the debate is based.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by EzeUche22(m): 5:23pm On Aug 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

a) Is this thread about the whole country?

b) Was your post comparing Owerri to Umuahia about the whole country?

If you really know how to debate, then I should assume you also know how points made or argument being made ought to continue, and fit within the CONTEXT in which the debate is based.

1) This thread was actualy comparing Fashola with Ohakim

2) My post was simply an observation. Umuahia has nothing to do with this thread.

This discussion is over. Carry on.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Kobojunkie: 5:27pm On Aug 13, 2010
Ohakim is definitely not governor of Abia, but you felt the need to bring the state into this and I felt to correct your biased post there comparing Owerri, Imo State capith Umuahia, the neighboring state's capital. If you want to get back to the main topic that is fine. But there is no justifying your attempt there to turn this into another thread building an excuse for mediocrity with your "whole country is in decay so it is ok that Abia continue in decay" yap there.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by EzeUche22(m): 5:31pm On Aug 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Ohakim is definitely not governor of Abia, but you felt the need to bring the state into this and I felt to correct your biased post there comparing Owerri, Imo State capith Umuahia, the neighboring state's capital. If you want to get back to the main topic that is fine. But there is no justifying your attempt there to turn this into another thread building an excuse for mediocrity with your "whole country is in decay so it is ok that Abia continue in decay" yap there.

Look Kobojunkie, no need to get all defensive. We all different opinions and point of view. I looked through my own prism, and you looked through your own. There were no attempt to turn this thread about Abia State's decay. We all know this, I have commented about it, so what is the problem with my post? I am one of the harshest critics of Abia State and its governor, so enough with your need to argue with me.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Kobojunkie: 5:37pm On Aug 13, 2010
EzeUche22:

Look Kobojunkie, no need to get all defensive. We all different opinions and point of view. I looked through my own prism, and you looked through your own. There were no attempt to turn this thread about Abia State's decay. We all know this, I have commented about it, so what is the problem with my post? I am one of the harshest critics of Abia State and its governor, so enough with your need to argue with me.

I am not in anyway being defensive as there is absolutely no reason for me to be. Not arguing with you, just telling you to stick to posting facts rather than posting fiction as if absolute. grin
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by EzeUche22(m): 5:38pm On Aug 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am not in anyway being defensive as there is absolutely no reason for me to be. Not arguing with you, just telling you to stick to posting facts rather than posting fiction as if absolute. grin

That is your own perception. What one person may see as fiction, may infact be something another person sees as fact. Understand? undecided
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Kobojunkie: 5:43pm On Aug 13, 2010
EzeUche22:

That is your own perception. What one person may see as fiction, may infact be something another person sees as fact. Understand? undecided
I disagree . . . this not a perception issue. If you were comparing Chicago with NY, then maybe I would say you were speaking of perception, and individual taste. But you are comparing Owerri with Umuahia, two towns with seriously different stories and situations that it is hard to even compare the two in most anyway.

Tell me you love Umuahia more than you do Owerri, but don't tell me that Umuahia is in general better than Owerri.
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by EzeUche22(m): 5:49pm On Aug 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I disagree . . . this not a perception issue. If you were comparing Chicago with NY, then maybe I would say you were speaking of perception, and individual taste. But you are comparing Owerri with Umuahia, two towns with seriously different stories and situations that it is hard to even compare the two in most anyway.

Tell me you love Umuahia more than you do Owerri, but don't tell me that Umuahia is in general better than Owerri.

Are you not contradicting yourself with your post? You say you can understand if it is like comparing Chicago with NY, but it would not work in this situation? Why not? They are both state capitals, with different flavors and looks. Why can't they be compared, when they are both state capitals which is a category? I prefer Umuahia to Owerri. I gave you my reason why. You think Owerri is better than Umuahia. That is your point of view. I disagree with you, but still. . .
Re: Fashola Wake Up, Ohakim Is Catching Up by Kobojunkie: 6:06pm On Aug 13, 2010
EzeUche22:

Are you not contradicting yourself with your post? You say you can understand if it is like comparing Chicago with NY, but it would not work in this situation? Why not? They are both state capitals, with different flavors and looks.
No, I am not in any way contradicting myself. If you have lived in NY and then in Chicago, you would notice that both cities, though different in many ways(culture, population, budget, location) are quite similar in many more ways(politics, approach to solving problems, layout, transportation, quality of infrastructure etc) If you were had no idea of the differences, you would confuse the one for the other.
Umuahia and Owerri are different in too many ways to compare the two -- different approach to addressing the people's issues, difference in layout, difference in politics, difference in quality of infrastructure(i.e roads, schools, healthcare etc.), cultures, population, budget, locations etc
EzeUche22:

Why can't they be compared, when they are both state capitals which is a category? I prefer Umuahia to Owerri. I gave you my reason why. You think Owerri is better than Umuahia. That is your point of view. I disagree with you, but still. . .
There is PERSONAL preference and there is general difference.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

High Profile Nigerians Registered Twice – Jega ! / South African Court Postpones Henry Okah's Trial To October 1st / Anambra And Delta States, Still Tense As Northerners Flee Onitsha City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.