Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Why Silicon Valley-style Vcs Will Work In Africa – Barbara Iyayi - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Silicon Valley-style Vcs Will Work In Africa – Barbara Iyayi (217 Views)

US ; What Silicon Valley Could Learn From Nigeria’s Igbo Entrepreneurs / E7: Barbara Iyayi: Queen Of Africa’s First SPAC - Learn How To Get Funded / Silicon Soap And Cake Molds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Silicon Valley-style Vcs Will Work In Africa – Barbara Iyayi by MrSlimmz: 12:33am On Jan 16, 2019
Investors in African start-ups have often taken a short-term look to investments on the continent, due to the uncertainty surrounding their longevity. There are also myths that, due to the fact that the African market is big, investors hope to cash out before the customary three-year life for African startups expire.

In this interview with Barbara Iyayi on the sidelines of the African 2018 Forum held in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt in December 2018, Ventures Africa gains an insight into many issues surrounding the African startup ecosystem- venture capitals, Silicon Valley investors, government policies on tech entrepreneurship in Africa, Africa’s readiness for Artificial Intelligence.

Barbara Iyayi is the Chief Growth Officer and Managing Director, Africa for Element, Inc. She also serves in an advisory capacity within the venture capital and tech ecosystem in Nigeria.

What does Africa For Element, Inc. do?

Barbara: The Element, Inc. is an artificial intelligence company. We deploy mobile biometrics, essentially capturing biometrics on the mobile device using artificial intelligence.

What does your role at the company entail?

Barbara: I’m the Chief Growth Officer so my job is to expand the business globally. I am also a Managing Director for Africa so I’m focused on also building Element, Inc. in Africa. But everything from investing in our growth through our partners, fundraising and just product development; building our products for our partners, we work with every type of company that has a digital platform so anything from healthcare, banking, national databases. We basically want to help our customers grow their digital revenue.

From an investment perspective, I’ve always felt that startups have not been able to show scalability as much in Africa and for us to build unicorns in Africa, we need scalable companies. The biggest distribution network is the mobile device and if you are able to capture customers and identify customers on your mobile device, you can scale very well and that’s what I’m trying to do.

In Lagos, Nigeria, have you been successful with acquiring customers?

Barbara: We are working with partners in Lagos right now.

Can you give names? Click here to continue reading

(1) (Reply)

I Need Dollars At 355 / Learn Digital Marketing Skills / Secret” Ordinary Nigerians Are Now Using To Get Their Business Name Registered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.