Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,252 members, 7,811,697 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance (24198 Views)

Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill / Senate Passes Bills Establishing 3 Universities / Preparing For The 2019/2020 Commonwealth Scholarship Nomination Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by mayprince(m): 1:58pm On Jan 16, 2019
Again three universities, Covenant University,University of ibadan and University of Nigeria have made Times Higher Education Global ranking 2019.

Methodology
The performance indicators are grouped into five areas: teaching(the learning environment); research(volume, income and reputation); citations (research influence); international outlook (staff, students and research); and industry income(knowledge transfer).

Here I will be showing the breakdown performances and key statistics (which include No of students,No of students per staff,No of international students) of the top 3 universities in Nigeria. Also on this thread will be the criteria made by THE for other universities who wish to be on the inclusion list

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2019/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/locations/NG/sort_by/name/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by mayprince(m): 2:10pm On Jan 16, 2019
Key statistics.

No of students-UNN 32,429
UI 25,416
CU. 9,369

No of students per staff-CU 18.1
UI 15.6
UNN 14.2

No of international students-Ui 1%
UNN 1%
CU n/a

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by mayprince(m): 2:18pm On Jan 16, 2019
Breakdown performances

Teaching (the learning environment) –This constitutes 30% of the ranking.Here CU leads followed by UI,then UNN
Sub breakdown of Teaching survey
Reputation survey: 15%
Staff-to-student ratio: 4.5%
Doctorate-to-bachelor’s ration: 2.25%
Doctorates-awarded-to-academic-staff ratio: 6%
Institutional income: 2.25%

-Research (volume, income and reputation) – 30%

Reputation survey: 18%
Research income: 6%
Research productivity: 6%
Here CU leads, UI follows,UNN

2 Likes

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by mayprince(m): 2:22pm On Jan 16, 2019
-Citations (research influence) – 30%

Research influence indicator looks at universities’ role in spreading new knowledge and ideas.
Ui leads,CU followed, UNN

-International outlook (staff, students, research) – 7.5%

Proportion of international students: 2.5%
Proportion of international staff: 2.5%
International collaboration: 2.5%
The ability of a university to attract undergraduates, postgraduates and faculty from all over the planet is key to its success on the world stage.
Here UI leads,CU follows, UNN

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by mayprince(m): 2:29pm On Jan 16, 2019
Criteria to be included in the Ranking

Institutions must meet seven criteria in order to be included in the Overall Ranking

I.Sufficient publications – An institution is required to publish more than 1000 papers over the previous 5 years, and more than 150 publications in any single year. Thresholds are also applied per subject for the subject rankings.

ii. Undergraduate students – An institution must teach at an undergraduate level, usually indicated by having more than zero undergraduate degrees awarded to be marked as valid. Postgraduate-only institutions are therefore not in the ranking.

iii. Subject breadth – An institution must not be focused on a single narrow subject area (more than 80% of their publication output is from one subject area).

iv.Sufficient data in overall submission – If an institution has not supplied any “overall” numbers for the ranking year they are excluded from the ranking.

v. Sufficient overall values – If more than two of the critical overall values (academic staff, international academic staff, research staff, students, international students, undergraduate degrees awarded, doctorates awarded, institutional income, research income, research income from industry and commerce) are null (either marked by the institution as “unavailable” or “withheld”), the institution is marked as invalid. Null values will cause any metric based on that value to also be null.

vi. At least one subject submission – In addition to overall numbers, an institution must supply numbers for at least one applicable subject. If no applicable subjects have been reported, the institution is marked as invalid.

vii. Not featured in custom exclusions list – Institutions that have requested not to participate in the ranking or that are not eligible for other institution-specific reasons have been excluded. 2b) Subject ranking criteria

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by rentAcock(m): 3:47pm On Jan 16, 2019
University is the biggest scam in Nigeria, I don't care what anyone says, it's a total scam. Some of our parents didn't even finish class 5 and they built factories, industries and companies. Some of them were even traveling the globe as far back as the 60s and 70s and all this was accomplished without a secondary school education let alone university. So it doesn't matter which school they tell you is the best because at the end of the day, even graduates from these so called best schools are queuing up like everyone else to apply for jobs. Many of them become depressed or suicidal after graduation having spent so much money and time in school only to spend many more years looking for a job. I will rather learn a trade and business than waste my money in getting another degree.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by RipMorosini: 3:50pm On Jan 16, 2019
kiss
Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by QueenXtar: 3:51pm On Jan 16, 2019
It seems fair

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by Ortega3062x: 3:51pm On Jan 16, 2019
Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 16, 2019
Covenant is the only private university there. Good job Oyedepo.

Hit like to congratulate the man of God,
hit share to connect to his annointing for success and prosperity.

Feel free to check my signature to compare and book the cheapest possible flights and hotels worldwide. It's TOTALLY FREE

37 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by chloride6: 3:52pm On Jan 16, 2019
The staff to student ratio in ibadan is amazing

My lecturer still called me out of the blues 2 days ago which is 2 years after graduation.

Lecturers in Ibadan know you by first name

No department except Law, Medicine and Economics have more than 70 in a class

When i graduated , there were 33 students in my department in engineering, Mechanical Engineering had 25, Petroleum had 24.

What am i saying? There were more students in my secondary school graduating class than number of students in my department in my level at any point in time!

If i mention my department i'll give myself away at once

Everyone knew i was nairaland freak !

grin grin

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by Lexy100(m): 3:52pm On Jan 16, 2019
Congratulations to the aforementioned schools, and a clarion call to all other universities in Nigeria to step up their games.

5 Likes

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by IjebuWarrior: 3:52pm On Jan 16, 2019
Rubbish institutions without abilities to impart technical knowledge into their students. All na hogwash! angry

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by herzernIsHere: 3:53pm On Jan 16, 2019

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by KingOfAllIgbos: 3:57pm On Jan 16, 2019
cheesy

Yorubas always in the lead kiss

6 Likes

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by Tundeobama(m): 3:57pm On Jan 16, 2019
West side best side Rank Top five private uni in Nigeria its all here infrastructure to learning is amazing.Afebabalola is excellent too.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by Shawnnn01: 3:57pm On Jan 16, 2019
Try ignorance my brother it is cheaper, ensure you sell it to every member of your household too.
rentAcock:
University is the biggest scam in Nigeria, I don't care what anyone says, it's a total scam. Some of our parents didn't even finish class 5 and they built factories, industries and companies. Some of them were even traveling the globe as far back as the 60s and 70s and all this was accomplished without a secondary school education let alone university. So it doesn't matter which school they tell you is the best because at the end of the day, even graduates from these so called best schools are queuing up like everyone else to apply for jobs. Many of them become depressed or suicidal after graduation having spent so much money and time in school only to spend many more years looking for a job. I will rather learn a trade and business than waste my money in getting another degree.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by rentAcock(m): 3:58pm On Jan 16, 2019
Shawnnn01:
Try ignorance my brother it is cheaper, ensure you sell it to every member of your household too.

You are a dunce. Your university education has failed you if all you can deduce from what I posted is that I'm advocating for no education.

10 Likes

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by Opinionated: 3:59pm On Jan 16, 2019
Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by Topmaike007(m): 4:00pm On Jan 16, 2019
Good
Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by fergie001: 4:03pm On Jan 16, 2019
My alma mater no near there,chai
Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by fergie001: 4:04pm On Jan 16, 2019
franchasng:
#FACT

Waste of time and resources undecided

The only good thing Nigerian higher institutions teach Nigerian students is how to cram books, how to toast girls, how to select boyfriends and how to have sex indiscriminately angry

Your project supervisor been offend you?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by CodeTemplar: 4:04pm On Jan 16, 2019
IjebuWarrior:
Rubbish institutions without abilities to impart technical knowledge into their students. All na hogwash! angry
did they promise you technical knowledge?
There is something called technical school and polytechnic sir.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 16, 2019
Covenant university kwanu. And covenant uni student nor fit stand UNIBEN or unilag student for quiz, exam or anything o. Las las, employers know school wey be badass.

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by slawomir: 4:05pm On Jan 16, 2019
isoright
Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by RTSC: 4:06pm On Jan 16, 2019
UNN should be doing much better.
Nigeria's first indigenous university should lag behind nobody.

The quality of the alumni alone should give the University the impetus to become Africa's best.

I am not happy.

4 Likes

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by sammyj: 4:08pm On Jan 16, 2019
Greatest University in Nigeria (University of Ibadan) Great!!! wink

6 Likes

Re: Top 3 Universities In Nigeria By THE 2019: Key Statistics, Breakdown Performance by CodeTemplar: 4:09pm On Jan 16, 2019
rentAcock:

You are a dunce. Your university education has failed you if all you can deduce from what I posted is that I'm advocating for no education.
I think you are a bigger dunce here.
Did university education promise you technical knowledge? No. It is selfish folks who make up that devilish assumption. There are places called technical school and polytechnic. university education isn't suppose to guaranty you a job also.
Learn to take responsibility about your life issues bros.

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What's The Slogan Of Your University? / Investigations On The Alleged "New Jamb Eligibility Regulation" / Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.