Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

Nigeria Donates $1 Mln To Pakistan Flood Victims - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigeria Donates $1 Mln To Pakistan Flood Victims (909 Views)

More Heart-Breaking Photos From Ghana’s Flood [Viewers Discretion] / “prepare For Nuclear War” Russia Warns Citizens As US Tanks Flood Into Europe / South African Billionaire Patrice Motsepe Donates $1.2 Million To Cape Town Comm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Donates $1 Mln To Pakistan Flood Victims by snowdrops(m): 11:06pm On Aug 13, 2010
(RTTNews) - Nigeria has reportedly donated $1 million to flood victims in Pakistan following appeals by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon and the Pakistani government to world governments to donate relief materials to Islamabad.

The floods, considered the worst in eight decades, have caused extensive destruction to Pakistan, a statement by the Nigerian Foreign Ministry said on Thursday.

"President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the donation to assist the country towards economic recovery efforts and rehabilitation of over 2.5 million people displaced by raging floods," it said.

The Nigerian leader also sympathized with the government and people of Pakistan, who in the last one week have been hit by overwhelming rain storms and flooding which killed over 1,600 people and affected nearly 14 million.

Pakistani Ambassador to Nigeria Asif Duraiz-Akhtar commended the U.N., United States and some Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) for the contributions and appealed to other D-8 member countries--Nigeria, Egypt, Turkey, Iran, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia--for assistance.

The U.N. on Tuesday appealed to the international community to contribute more than $459 million in emergency aid to flood-hit Pakistan, warning of a second wave of death among sick, and hungry survivors unless help arrived quickly.

In his appeal for the emergency aid, U.N. humanitarian chief John Holmes said the aid would be used to carry out relief operations in the flood-affected regions in Pakistan over the next three months.

Pointing out that flood waters had devastated towns and villages, downed power and communications lines, washed away bridges and roads, besides inflicting major damage to buildings and houses, he said that the disaster was "one of the most challenging that any country has faced in recent years."

The United States on Wednesday announced $16.25 million more as humanitarian aid bringing the total of U.S. flood aid to more than $71 million in less than a week.

Senator John Kerry, Chairman of the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee, will visit Pakistan next week to assess the damage caused by the devastating floods. He will be the highest-level American political figure to visit Pakistan since the floods hit last month.

State Department officials said on Thursday his visit would help raise awareness of Pakistan's relief needs among Americans, and to discuss how the Kerry-Lugar-Berman aid plan could be re-calibrated to factor flood-related needs.

http://www.rttnews.com/Content/GeneralNews.aspx?Node=B1&Id=1392932
Re: Nigeria Donates $1 Mln To Pakistan Flood Victims by ElRazur: 11:56pm On Aug 13, 2010
I mean, we have to be seen rolling with the "big boys". Besides, we have the image of "African giant" to live up too. Seriously One milla dolapos is too small. Oloshi.

While I understand it was done for humanitarian reasons, it leaves a sore taste in the mouth when we have similar or comparable levels of humanitarian crisis as a result of abject poverty. Oh well, I guess I am missing the picture. undecided
Re: Nigeria Donates $1 Mln To Pakistan Flood Victims by snowdrops(m): 11:43am On Aug 15, 2010
China has so far donated 1.5 million dollars despite its enormous wealth, yet a third world backward country like Nigeria is deceiving itself by donating a whooping 1 million.
That money could go a long way in setting up a national kidney centre.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1 Mln To Pakistan Flood Victims by Ifygurl: 8:06am On Aug 24, 2010
I find it quite sad that nigeria donated this high amount to Pakistan but when Haiti needed help, we didn't donate anything. Sad
Re: Nigeria Donates $1 Mln To Pakistan Flood Victims by ElRazur: 8:51am On Aug 24, 2010
Ifygurl:

I find it quite sad that nigeria donated this high amount to Pakistan but when Haiti needed help, we didn't donate anything. Sad

I think Nigeria did offer help.

I do however think it is sad that you forget there are more pressing issues at home.
Re: Nigeria Donates $1 Mln To Pakistan Flood Victims by omofat: 1:48pm On Aug 25, 2010
You guys just moan moan moan. Have you seen the scale of the disaster in pakistan?

Come on
Re: Nigeria Donates $1 Mln To Pakistan Flood Victims by Epiphany(m): 2:47pm On Aug 25, 2010
I think that Nigeria [ns] can claim that there are more important needs at home here in Nigeria but i think that all other countries that have donated larger amounts can claim the same thing.

I think those Pakistanis need help and it is in helping others over ourselves that indeed, shows the kind of compassionate people we are. If Nigeria only donates because others are donating, then the help is worthless. If we donate because we feel compassionate and want to help, then we are doing it for the right reason.

Knowing our politicians, someone would rather 'chop' the money instead of donating it - maybe that is why the amount is so small. Relatively.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Students Excel In Ghana University-emerged Best Graduating Student / Can This Happen In Nigeria: Kenya Supreme Court Upholds Uhuru Kenyatta Election / Mysterious Floating City Appears In The Sky Over China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.