Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria (6292 Views)

Tukur Buratai: Ebonyi State University Names Institute After General / 5 Secondary School Students Promise Not To Get Pregnant Till They Graduate. PICS / Sex Scandals Rock Ebonyi State University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by teufelein(f): 7:15pm On Jan 19, 2019
Afikpo, Ebonyi State boasts the best Islamic secondary school in Nigeria

Unknown to most people in religiously divided Nigeria, the best Islamic secondary school in the country is not located in the Muslim-dominated North but in the largely Christian South-East, specifically in Afikpo, Ebonyi State.

Now there are plans to turn the school, known as Islamic Centre, Afikpo, into an Islamic University. This was disclosed by Sheikh Daud Nwagui, the Headmaster of the primary section of the school, who told the Daily Trust newspaper: “We hope to turn the school into a university, that is a university of Islamic studies. There is no school like this in the whole of the South-East.”

The hilly Afikpo town boasts the highest number of Igbo Muslims in the South-East, followed by the university town of Nsukka in neighbouring Enugu State. The Islamic Centre, Afikpo, was founded by Sheikh Ibrahim Okpani Nwagui, the father of the present headmaster, who brought Islam to Afikpo in 1958.

According to Sheikh Daud Nwagui, his late father embraced Islam in Senegal and promptly introduced the religion to his people when he returned to Nigeria in 1958.

“From that time a lot of people in the vicinity were turning to Islam. He was a very sincere person, and he was like this till his very last days. He was the founder of the Islamic Centre, Afikpo,” he said, adding: “This centre was set up in 1965 to propagate Islam generally. This is the best Islamic secondary school in the nation, and students come from all over the country, including Abuja.”

The Islamic Centre, Afikpo, has a primary and a secondary section. There are 450 pupils in the primary section, while the secondary section has some 500 pupils. Students write the NECO and SSCE examinations, just like other students in Nigerian secondary schools. The school has three boarding houses. A computer laboratory is under construction at the school.

Sheikh Daud Nwagui told Daily Trust that there is a special focus on Arabic as a language, on Islamic studies, physics, English Language, Biology, Chemistry, English Literature, Mathematics and Igbo. This, he explained, assists in producing a crop of rounded pupils.

The headmaster disclosed that graduates of the school have risen to prominent positions in the society. Many, he said, have done well in the areas of medicine, some are in the armed forces, also in engineering, and many have risen to become Chief Imams in many states of the federation.

Some graduates, Sheikh Daud Nwagui disclosed, are outside the country and doing very well in places such as Pakistan and India.

On challenges which the school has faced over the years, Sheikh Nwagui said that some form of challenge has come from those he described as ‘religious fanatics in the neighbourhood’ but quickly added: “But from the government of the state we are covered. The government gives us a lot of support.”

https://newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=5362

1 Like

Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by Omnipresent(m): 7:24pm On Jan 19, 2019
Another state sponsored Islamic propaganda towards Igboland. Don't waste your time reading the crap.

4 Likes

Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by oilPUSSY(f): 7:35pm On Jan 19, 2019
I think there is an online propaganda by Islamists to create what does not exist in Igbo land....

Your online Propaganda won't help you guys... Go offline , face the reality and see that all struggles online and not yielding any fruits.. then cry out blood letter ... Useless people.

3 Likes

Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by obaataaokpaewu: 8:51pm On Jan 19, 2019
All these and no single picture of the school

2 Likes

Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by Onechancearmy(m): 9:17pm On Jan 19, 2019
The funny thing is, we all know that this story is 100% unrecycled crap, but even if it was true, Almajiris should hang their heads in shame that a tiny minority of Igbos who are muslimes for profit have achieved more in just three years of being fake mooslimes than aboki MOOSLIMEs have accomplished after 700 years of real I-SLIME.

2 Likes

Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by RTSC: 9:19pm On Jan 19, 2019
What is up with these people trying to force an Islam connection in igboland.?

There is nothing necessarily wrong with an Islamic school.
It changes nothing . Our ancestors have never been attracted to Islam anyway.

Painting it as anything else is just diabolical

1 Like

Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by RTSC: 9:23pm On Jan 19, 2019
Onechancearmy:
The funny thing is, we all know that this story is 100% unrecycled crap, but even if it was true, Almajiris should hang their heads in shame that a tiny minority of Igbos who are muslimes for profit have achieved more in just three years of being fake mooslimes than aboki MOOSLIMEs have accomplished after 700 years of real I-SLIME.
Igbo progressiveness will always shine through.

If we take up Islam, it would be shown in its purest progressive form.
We would advertise Islam more than the traditional Islamic adherents ever could. grin
Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by biafrasun: 9:27pm On Jan 19, 2019
I don't know such nonsense exist in my home town, I will pay them a visit.
Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by Richdad50(m): 9:34pm On Jan 19, 2019
A very stupid south eastern state. I repeat without fear of opposition that Ebonyi state is a disgrace, weak, and an insult to the common interest of the South eastern people and their way of life. Little wonder other states within the sub region abhors their way of life.

#Richdad

Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by humblesteve(m): 12:24am On Jan 20, 2019
biafrasun:
I don't know such nonsense exist in my home town, I will pay them a visit.
I'm afraid to believe it's your hometown
That school is situated at Enohia Itim and has been there for years now
Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by humblesteve(m): 12:25am On Jan 20, 2019
obaataaokpaewu:
All these and no single picture of the school
Forget about pictures bro, it's true. We have igbo Muslim from Afikpo.
Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by obaataaokpaewu: 6:04am On Jan 20, 2019
humblesteve:

I'm not doubting the Igbo Muslims, I just want to see the best school
Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 20, 2019
It's a pic of the school's sign post

Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 20, 2019
humblesteve:

oga, see am o

Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:58am On Jan 20, 2019
Unknown to most people in religiously divided Nigeria, the best Islamic secondary school in the country is not located in the Muslim-dominated North but in the largely Christian South-East, specifically in Afikpo, Ebonyi State.
This is interestingly interesting.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by giftygirl1(f): 1:17pm On Jan 20, 2019
oilPUSSY:
I think there is an online propaganda by Islamists to create what does not exist in Igbo land....

Your online Propaganda won't help you guys... Go offline , face the reality and see that all struggles online and not yielding any fruits.. then cry out blood letter ... Useless people.
My dear it's not an online propaganda. Sadly it's so true. Almost half of Ebonyi state people are Muslim,and they keep spreading and they have the support of the government! The sons of the bondwoman are in our very midst. Just like the boko Haram and the herdsmen, they are always fighting. Sometime last year, the road to my state(Abia) was closed due to rate of bloodshed on that road caused by these people. I know God will help us.
Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by chikason68(m): 2:53pm On Jan 20, 2019
giftygirl1:

My dear it's not an online propaganda. Sadly it's so true. Almost half of Ebonyi state people are Muslim,and they keep spreading and they have the support of the government! The sons of the bondwoman are in our very midst. Just like the boko Haram and the herdsmen, they are always fighting. Sometime last year, the road to my state(Abia) was closed due to rate of bloodshed on that road caused by these people. I know God will help us.
Get your fact right! Total Muslim population(both indigene and non-indigene) in Ebonyi state is not up to 20%. Saying that almost half of Ebonyians re muslim is pure falacy. Enohia itim (the host community of the said school) cant even boast of 70% muslim population. Then how did you come about the fact that almost half of the entire state re muslim when Enohia village dont even make up to 5% of Ebonyi population?
Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by oilPUSSY(f): 10:48pm On Jan 20, 2019
giftygirl1:

Don't allow the media to deceive you.
If half of Ebonyi people are Muslims, how come not even a single councilor is a Muslim in entire Ebonyi state let alone house of assembly member ?.. What's stopping them from having elected representatives?. Even in Lagos State, Igbo population there is reflecting on some of their elected representatives.
Such thing Igbo Muslims only exist on the skulls of those who want to spread Islam in Igbo land through their online propaganda, but unfortunately the propaganda has refused to yield any positive fruit. Even some of those clowns you call Igbo Muslims know their boundaries and they know what they are doing. Just like Nzeribe who once claimed to be a muslim at some point used some Islamists to make wealth and letter dumped their sorry @$$.

Some of those Islamists in the North insulted him and called him all sorts of names for leaving them and letter, they all crawled back to their different Islamic enclaves.
Re: Afikpo, Ebonyi State Boasts The Best Islamic Secondary School In Nigeria by valemtech(m): 5:06pm On Apr 08, 2020
Onechancearmy:
it is very true the school is located near my fathers house

(1) (Reply)

Enugu State University Of Science And Technology(esut)-pride OF NIGERIA(PICS) / Uniport Releases Second Supplementary Addmision List: ! / "How Nigerian Students Murdered Democracy" Article

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.