Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? (992 Views)

True Church Perspective On Tithing By Pastor G. Craig Lewis ( Audio) / Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? / I Am A Christian And Love God But I Still Keep Fornicating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by ogoamaka99(m): 3:59pm On Aug 14, 2010
Please permit me to ask the above question.I understand that a true church is the gathering of true Christians. Are there true Christians in this country?. If there are , how can one recognize true Christians and true churches in this country. I am asking this question because the way churches are portrayed it appears there are no longer true churches in this country. I wish to really belong to a true church. Help me.
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by denitro(m): 4:06pm On Aug 14, 2010
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by nuclearboy(m): 8:34pm On Aug 14, 2010
True Christians exists -

[1] Such are not in Christianity because it offers to solve their problems but because they believe the way of Christ is the right way. The way of Christ is to do good, to fulfill Isa 61. If you are His, that is what you'll do and then you will get it.
[2] If you see a MOG who leaves his village to Ilorin, then to Lagos then to London, Paris and New York AND you then see another who is working in a bank and says God called him to go become a missionary in the bush where there is no light and he does it faithfully, which would you call "a man of God"?
[3] Churches exist where it is not about noise, excitement but truth, depth and honesty. There are churches where you leave every sunday bouncing, laughing and excited. There are also churches where you feel convicted of sin - where the pastor does not mind you leaving his church; all he does is preach the bitter truth knowing that is God's message. Which do you think God wants you to attend? Remember it is a narrow way not meant for everyone and that many have itching ears and so are led astray!
[4] There are churches who give you names of charity homes OR encourage you to find such and give to them yourself. I know one where you can decide to "adopt" a child (he/she will not go home with you) and pay for the child's upkeep. You might be amazed to know that 5, 000 a month will make this child light up and scream "daddy" anytime you appear. It brings tears to the eyes to take a pack of sweets and see children who never tasted a sweet. Some people are sponsoring 5 children and when they get to school age, sponsor their education too. Whether they are muslim, atheist, christian is beside the point. They are God's creation and He will be your reward.

Truth is, Friend, when you get among the truly poor and needy in society, you start to despise the giant cathedrals, SUVs, monuments to self etc that are been built in the name of God. Start off by helping that poor widow who can't pay her rent and as you get to know such people, you will almost hate the current crop of MOGs who believe having billions and jets is what makes them favored.

I know I'm likely the last person you wish to read from but the above tells you how some of us see it. Remember Isa 58: 6 & 7. I pray God gives you the grace to see how bad it is for some people and that you can become a tool that helps His creation.
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by Image123(m): 7:25pm On Aug 15, 2010
^
You may cancel number 4 because some of the churches you hate don't only give you names of charities but have and efficiently run charities and motherless babies homeS. And can afford to give and ride cars after lol. As for the other 3, you're in some order.
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by nuclearboy(m): 8:11pm On Aug 15, 2010
^^^ Yeah, yeah, since it is Nuclearboy, you have to disagree - its in keeping with your prefering to hold things against people rather than follow truth.

So we should cancel doing charitable work by ourselves and only give to churches like your own so that they (being God) can distribute to their own charities after buying personal jets and SUVs for all members of their families ehn? And when they do so, they of course take news crews along so everyone knows they are giving to charity. And I never did see a motherless baby that wanted a car. Did they give you one is why you support them at all cost?

Dude, I have nothing against you except that kind of thinking. Maybe you should read yourself again - very arrogant tone like you know best and the sun shines only when you give it permission.

PS: I do NOT hate any church - I only hate "some actions"
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by Image123(m): 8:56pm On Aug 15, 2010
Nuclear chei
Mustye argue wit m. I 'agreed' with 3 of thine points. I'll say it again, you may cancel number 4 because some of the churches you 'almost hate' do number 4 and don't make noise about it.
Your post was sort of defining true christians/churches abi? Anyway no worry, I'm not getting into an arguement over this, i was just pulling your ears, I should've pulled your legs instead.
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by nuclearboy(m): 9:03pm On Aug 15, 2010
^^^ Okay, Bro.

Enjoy the coming week cool
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by Image123(m): 9:16pm On Aug 15, 2010
Thank you and you too.
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by Joagbaje(m): 6:25am On Aug 16, 2010
nuclearboy:

True Christians exists -

[1] Such are not in Christianity because it offers to solve their problems but because they believe the way of Christ is the right way. The way of Christ is to do good, to fulfill Isa 61. If you are His, that is what you'll do and then you will get it.
[2] If you see a MOG who leaves his village to Ilorin, then to Lagos then to London, Paris and New York AND you then see another who is working in a bank and says God called him to go become a missionary in the bush where there is no light and he does it faithfully, which would you call "a man of God"?
[3] Churches exist where it is not about noise, excitement but truth, depth and honesty. There are churches where you leave every sunday bouncing, laughing and excited. There are also churches where you feel convicted of sin - where the pastor does not mind you leaving his church; all he does is preach the bitter truth knowing that is God's message. Which do you think God wants you to attend? Remember it is a narrow way not meant for everyone and that many have itching ears and so are led astray!
[4] There are churches who give you names of charity homes OR encourage you to find such and give to them yourself. I know one where you can decide to "adopt" a child (he/she will not go home with you) and pay for the child's upkeep. You might be amazed to know that 5, 000 a month will make this child light up and scream "daddy" anytime you appear. It brings tears to the eyes to take a pack of sweets and see children who never tasted a sweet. Some people are sponsoring 5 children and when they get to school age, sponsor their education too. Whether they are muslim, atheist, christian is beside the point. They are God's creation and He will be your reward.

Truth is, Friend, when you get among the truly poor and needy in society, you start to despise the giant cathedrals, SUVs, monuments to self etc that are been built in the name of God. Start off by helping that poor widow who can't pay her rent and as you get to know such people, you will almost hate the current crop of MOGs who believe having billions and jets is what makes them favored.

I know I'm likely the last person you wish to read from but the above tells you how some of us see it. Remember Isa 58: 6 & 7. I pray God gives you the grace to see how bad it is for some people and that you can become a tool that helps His creation.

Stop counselling people with errors! You are not in the right position.
1.You've not been an example of a true Christian with the kinds of venom you vomit on NL.
2.You don't have a church.

These disqualify you to talk about what church to belong and the character of a Christian . Stop poisoning people with your ignorance and start reading rhapsody.
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by Joagbaje(m): 6:53am On Aug 16, 2010
ogoamaka99:

Please permit me to ask the above question.I understand that a true church is the gathering of true Christians. Are there true Christians in this country?. If there are , how can one recognize true Christians and true churches in this country. I am asking this question because the way churches are portrayed it appears there are no longer true churches in this country. I wish to really belong to a true church. Help me.

It is not written in anybodys forehead that he is a true Christian , it is God that sees the heart. That is why it is risky to say someone is not a christian if he claims to be one, it is a sin to call a child of God a name God hasn't called him. If God says he is my son, nobody has right to say he is not. That is why we must avoid such judgementalism at all cost.

But there are scriptural way to know a child of God. It is in what they confess. What you believe will come out through your mouth.

Romans 10:9-10
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation

It is God that sees the believeing of the heart. The confession is the only one we are left with.

1 John 4:15
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

The same goes for churches or men of God. How to know a true church or local assembly has to do with the teaching and the profession of their faith.

1 John 4:1-4
1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that[ spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

You don't judge by works. Charity or no charity. Alcaeda and hezbolah and other terrorist groups does charity.
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by nuclearboy(m): 4:27pm On Aug 16, 2010
Joagbaje:

Stop counselling people with errors! You are not in the right position.
1.You've not been an example of a true Christian with the kinds of venom you vomit on NL.
2.You don't have a church.

These disqualify you to talk about what church to belong and the character of a Christian . Stop poisoning people with your ignorance and start reading rhapsody.

The above from someone who
[1] says God cut Eve out of Adam
[2] Doesn't know what happened to Moses whether he died or not
[3] asks whether "magic" exists or not when the Bible says it does
[4] worships another man because of "food"
[5] believes "confession" is all that makes you a christian
[6] believes only pastor chris can understand the Bible and so believes others should read the book of er[b]ROR[/b]s

Meanwhile this rhapsody of ridiculous postulations is what all the criminals we keep hearing about read, ehn? No wonder you too think like you do.

FYI dude, whether you say so or not, Christ knows His Sheep and I am one of them. I do not report to you but to Christ - allow me do so and please go and report to "chris" since thats where your sustenance comes from.

And Christ forbid I leave the Word of God and replace it with the word of chris!
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by JeSoul(f): 4:46pm On Aug 16, 2010
ogoamaka99:
how can one recognize true Christians and true churches in this country.
  Ogoamaka, it is quite easy.

Mat 7:16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

and what exactly is this "fruit" we can recognize them by?

Gal 5:19 The acts (fruit) of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control

If you come across a church exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit, you can be sure you're among genuine disciples of Christ.
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by eyzhvntsn: 7:17pm On Aug 16, 2010
Joagbaje:

But there are scriptural way to know a child of God. It is in what they confess.

shocked and horrified

JeSoul:

Ogoamaka, it is quite easy.

Mat 7:16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

and what exactly is this "fruit" we can recognize them by?

Gal 5:19 The acts (fruit) of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, sin assemblies, and the like. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control

If you come across a church exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit, you can be sure you're among genuine disciples of Christ.

AMEN.
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by newmi(m): 12:31am On Aug 18, 2010
l just have one question for nuclearboy which is- would you consider yourself an emblem of a true christian, if yes what are your candid considerations and qualifications so that many others can emulate.

thank you
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by nuclearboy(m): 12:20pm On Aug 18, 2010
@newmi:

I'm a work in progress.

On criteria, lets use just one - Nobody likes to be told "your mouth is smelling". Now if it actually is smelling, the person we will hate most is the one who tells us so. Meanwhile, others have kept quiet laughing behind your back OR feeling sorry for you OR not concerned cos they feel its not their business. But we hate the person who says it to our faces! YET this is the person who is helping you because him telling you SHOULD MAKE YOU GO CLEAN YOUR MOUTH. That is the right thing to do, not abuse him. If you abuse him and call the guy who laughed behind your back, that one will say "of course, its not smelling", then go laugh some more. If you call the one who felt twas not his business, he will tell you he's busy and will come later. But one guy will look you in the face and say, "friend, your mouth smells". This guy, you hate! WHY?

Where most of you have a problem is message delivery. But you forget we all have our own characters. His character may make him say it in a way that is kindly, OR like a joke OR insultive OR insensitive etc. BUT he told the truth.

My initial posts on NL were always friendly but it was not long before some showed as deliberate liars and others as listeners. Many people here do not agree with me yet I do not speak harsh words to them. Why? But some, I cannot be bothered to try to reason with because its obvious they have decided to hold on to lies no matter what they see to the contrary.

In Yoruba mythology, Satan is described as the best friend, the supporter who while the victim cries tears, cries blood, thereby supporting continued apathy rather than healing. Whist he does that, his own agenda is being fulfilled.

Jesus is the one who you hears words like "Hypocrite", "Generation of Vipers", "White washed sepulchres" from. The pharisees had loving soothing words. Peter was the one before whom Ananias and Sapphira fell. The Pharisees would reason it out and show you their good works. Jesus, these Apostles AND ALL the prophets in the OT are the lone rangers, the upstarts, the ones who were considered "rude", "unflinching", unyeilding","not understanding". History has shown us the truth.

But now you will say I compare myself to Christ or Apostles when there are people here whom you love who say "they are God", "rule the World" etc.

I found an article on the web that I liked very much which deals with Satan's ways and the insidiousness of evil into the Church. If it will mean anything to you, take a look at www.thepathoftruth.com/falsehoodexposed/essenceofsatan.htm.

You may be suprised to find Satan is your best friend whist God is the one who always makes you feel bad cos He tells the truth.

But me, I'm a work in progress. Only thing I know is that I've got to the point where I TELL THE TRUTH!
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by UyiIredia(m): 3:38pm On Aug 18, 2010
ultimately a choice you'll have to make undecided undecided
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by ogoamaka99(m): 8:07pm On Aug 18, 2010
@ nuclearBOY,
Your first post is interesting. Does such church exist here in Nigeria?. If so kindly mention the name of such church or churches so that i can know them.
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by nuclearboy(m): 9:29pm On Aug 18, 2010
@Ogoamaka99:

Its quite interesting that you find my first post interesting! I find that interesting - reminds me of the number of times traps were set for Christ by seemingly "sincere" Pharisees.

Anyways, what the Word of God (not a commentary designed to suit a man's agenda) says is "My sheep know my Voice". If you are one of His sheep, ask your Shepherd and He will take you to where He wants you to be, not where tickles your ears and makes you feel good most. As for me, I will not take the place of God - they are many that will offer you that service.

Such churches exist for those who want truth. The hints I can give you concerning them are these -

Such places do not advertise or do jamborees.
They are not ambitious "financially".
They do not believe that membership numbers or cash inflow or big cars/planes mean success.
They are not looking at this world and they force you to continually look inwards.

Be Blessed, brother, whether you like me or not!
Re: Who Is A True Christian And How Does One Recognize A True Church? by yommyuk: 11:38pm On Aug 18, 2010
@Nuclearboy

Prov 13:5 states that "a righteous man hates falsehood." Keep up the good work, however remember to always apply Eph 4:15 by speaking the truth in love, hence growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of the body, the church.

Poster

John 4:16 Our Lord Jesus Christ proclaims that He is the way, the truth and the life.
My question for u is how do you seek the way, the truth and the life that Jesus christ is demanding from u?
The answer lies in John 8:31,32.36
Remain faithful to the teaching of Jesus Christ by seeking the truth and experiencing the freedom you deserve.
The truth is in the WORD OF GOD - The Bible.

Hebrew 6:17-19
God also bound himself with an oath, so that those who recieved the promise could be perfectly sure that he would never change his mind. So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God's inner sanctuary.

My advice is to invest your time in reading and understanding the Word of God. In his word you will get your revelation on the answer to the question you are seeking. The steps of the righteous are ordered by GOD.

Equipped with this higher knowledge, when false pastors/christians show up in your life with falsehood, you will have the divine ability to discern, trample and crush them under your feet. TRUST ME BRO cool

(1) (Reply)

Naija Bible Chalenj / Birthday Wish For Prophet T.B Joshua. -drop Yours. / On The Authority And Authenticity Of The Catholic Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.