Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:06 AM

First Class In Accounting But Have Passion For Programming: Please Help - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / First Class In Accounting But Have Passion For Programming: Please Help (700 Views)

Should I Sacrifice My Laboratory Technician Career For Programming ? / First Class Graduates Work For Me - Lady With Third Class Result / Kayode Olagunju: "Wole Soyinka Inspired My Passion For Road Safety" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Class In Accounting But Have Passion For Programming: Please Help by Topsonluv(m): 1:16am On Jan 22, 2019
I graduated from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife.

I need your advice on my career path. I graduated with a first class, Bsc Accounting. I finished my NYSC in April 2018. I have two papers left to be qualified as Associate Chartered Accountant. I really have passion for programming. I wish to be one of the world best programmer. I'm always happy anytime i'm writing codes.

But my family want me to pursue a career in Accounting in order not to waste my First Class. They want me to work in one of the big 4 accounting firm where I served in one of them. They hate programming with passion.

After my NYSC I had to shift away from accounting though I've been learning basics of Java since my undergraduate days. I learnt Java for some time(using programming methodology course by Stanford University) and later move to VB.Net (I learnt that with downloaded materials) which I'm using to develop mini accounting package.

I just started to apply for accounting job last year December. My uncles were concerned why I'm so adamant with programming and they have been angry with me and with my late application for accounting jobs.

I could not get Programming job because most companies stipulate that applicants be computer science graduate.

A friend of mine who is conversant with Nairaland told me to come here in order to get the required help and advice.

I'm done with my NYSC and I'm currently not working. I'm thinking of leaving my family to go elsewhere to pursue my programming career. I want to do anything possible to achieve my programming career.

Please, I really need your advice as I am stuck right now.
I know how tough it will be and the challenges to overcome, it's just a matter of time.

Thanks, I am looking forward to your kind and sincere response.

I have my OAU and NYSC certificate with me to confirm the sincerity of what am saying.

Thanks in advance

Whatsapp No: 08137377092

1 Like

Re: First Class In Accounting But Have Passion For Programming: Please Help by RIHMEEK(m): 3:30am On Jan 22, 2019
Don't let anyone or anything strangle your dreams, but also remember the dream is free but the hustle comes with a price...If you are willing to pay the price I will advice you to go for programming but remember if your dreams turns to nightmare "OYO" is your name...Congrats for the 1st class... Goodluck...

Re: First Class In Accounting But Have Passion For Programming: Please Help by Nobody: 4:55am On Jan 22, 2019
Cool..
Re: First Class In Accounting But Have Passion For Programming: Please Help by Osyxcel(m): 4:24pm On Jan 22, 2019
Follow your dream bro, programming is a very good path to follow, but you must do it with wisdom. You have to complete your professional exams.

Try applying for accounting jobs that allows you time to learn your programming. When you start staying on your own, and you're good enough to tow the programming path, you can then decide to switch without having to inform your parents of your decision.

My 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: First Class In Accounting But Have Passion For Programming: Please Help by khikhella(f): 6:31pm On Jan 22, 2019
@op, We Are In The 21st Century And Computer Is Fast Taking Over The World. I Would Advise U Follow Ur Dream. And Try To Know The Deep Down Reason For Their Dislike, I don't Think Is Mainly Becos It Is Programming. Most Parent Want To Enforce Their Love For A Course On Their Children. You Can Combine D 2 To Start Up Ur Own Company. Accounting Nd Computer. I Will Leave U With Dis; Talk Tech Ng, It Is A Group On Facebook They Deal With Anything Computer And Technology. U Might Meet The Support U Need To Follow Ur Dreams. Best Of Luck.

1 Like

Re: First Class In Accounting But Have Passion For Programming: Please Help by Topsonluv(m): 6:48pm On Jan 28, 2019
I really appreciate all your contributions. Thanks so much for your advice.
Re: First Class In Accounting But Have Passion For Programming: Please Help by DonroxyII: 5:53am On Jan 29, 2019
I think Programming can also be synced with Accountancy as an IT skills .... you will be able to code Accounting softwares or packages .... just Google how you can validate programming with accounting despite both being independent career path, they still have areas of intersection .... inform your uncles on the areas !!
Re: First Class In Accounting But Have Passion For Programming: Please Help by Oluwathoyin: 9:30am On Sep 14, 2020
Remove your mobile number, it's not safe.

(1) (Reply)

How You Can Make Money From Agro Exportation Business / Mastercard Nigeria Latest Fresh Recruitment / Attention! A Challenging And Professional Business Develpment Job.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.