Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business (9390 Views)

How To Save Money: A Simple Hack To Help You Save Up To #400,000 From Your Small / How To Identify And Start Profitable Business In Nigeria / Three Easy Ways To Raise Business Capital For Your SME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by i2know2(m): 12:09pm On Jan 23, 2019
With the economy in the doldrums, and unemployment reaching highs not seen in decades, people are hurting all over Nigeria.
With reduced incomes comes the necessity to cut back and get by with less, to reduce, re-use and recycle the things we have.

While getting by with less is great, you don't have to completely do away with everything. There are a lot of easy (and crazy!) ways to reduce your spending and save money every month especially when you have plans to start a new online business.

Today I thought I'd put together a nice long list of easy ways to save money every month on recurring expenses, on money leaks and on just about everything else. So let's get started.

Save On Recurring Expenses
One of the first places people should be looking to save money are on the big recurring expenses that we all have every month. Let's look at a few places you can save.

Internet service:
Try switching your internet service to another provider in order to take advantage of new subscriber deals or promotions. Switch from one internet type to another – DSL to cable or fibre-optic internet.

Switching can often get you great initial deals, and then you can hop providers to get another great deal when the promotion ends (sweet right?).

TV and entertainment:
There are a variety of ways to save on your TV and entertainment costs. First, you can switch cable providers from one to the other to get in on a promotional offer (StarTimes, GoTV and DSTV). You really do not have to pay for the premium bouquet. If that doesn't work you can always cut the cord altogether, and save a ton by setting up a home entertainment system using streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Iroko TV, Deezer, BoomPlay, Mobdro, etc,

Utilities:
One of the first things you must do is to ensure you get a prepaid meter for your electricity, a lot of people pay more than three times their monthly electricity consumption because of estimated bills.
After this, you need to cut back on how much you power you use to limit costs. When you're not using something, turn it off or unplug it.
Look for energy leaks in your home by getting a home energy audit, and find ways to maintain your home to cut costs – like cleaning your AC condenser coils or changing furnace filters regularly.

Save On Money Leaks
There are times when money just tends to leak away because we've always spent money somewhere without thinking about it, or because there are hidden costs that we didn't even realize were there. Here are a few to be aware of, or to look for in your own house.

Buying coffee on your way to work:
I'm using coffee as an example here. Normally, I just buy things like puff puff and other snacks before or after work. Every one of us is guilty of this one. I buy snacks just once in a while and I realised it saves me a ton of money every month!

Hobby spending:
There are certain things we spend money on out of pleasure. That new phone (no, you do not have to change your phone every three months), new Beats Headphones, etc Whatever your hobby, you can often spend a ton of money every month on buying the latest and best associated with your hobby. You don't need to cut it out completely, but cutting back on how much you can spend can save, and you'll have more money for other things.

Eating out too much:
At our house, especially for those bachelors and spinsters, our dining out budget is one of our biggest problem areas. Just by cutting the number of times we eat out in half can save us a lot of money!

Getting drinks:
You don't have to buy drinks at every opportunity, those things cost you a lot of money when you finally calculate how much you spend in a month, you will realise that money will be better spent on something more productive.

Buying brand names:
Quite often people will buy brand names just because they have always done that. In reality, the generic brand is often just as good or even better than the brand name item.

Buy less of things that spoil:
When buying provisions and foods, think about what types of things tend to go bad at your house, or that end up spoiling before you eat them. Buy less of that item, or cut it out altogether.

General Ways To Save
Here are some more ways to save that you may not have thought of.

Start a budget, stick to it:
This may seem like an obvious tip on how to save, but it's something that not a ton of people do. Just keeping track of where your money is going has a tendency to help you realize a lot of areas that you can save.

Wash your own car:
Instead of going to the car wash and spending some extra bucks, you can just wash your own car!

Do your own maintenance:
If you're handy with all things automotive, change your own oil to save on a trip to the mechanic. Maintain your own home appliances with help from the internet!

Stop a bad habit:
Are you a smoker? Quit! It's better for your health and will save a ton of money. Drink lots of soft drinks? Stop! Drink more water instead..

This list is just the beginning. Saving money can really become a way of life if you want it to be. You just have to be creative, have a reason and a goal for why you're trying to save, and think consciously about the decisions that you're making.

The changes mentioned on this page may seem small when you look at them. The truth is, however, that the small changes listed here can be the basis of your financial security.

Have your own ways to save? Tell us what they are in the comments!
There are a lot of easy ways to reduce your spending and save money every month.

ARTICLE SOURCE

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by tuna4servi(m): 11:23am On Jan 24, 2019
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by SEONaijaExpert: 11:23am On Jan 24, 2019
Still reading

Done reading

Nice tips

2 points stood out for me though. Others seem not feasible.

I like the wash your own car point, yeah. It's cool and I think most men does it. But sometimes for a thorough wash you've got to pay once a while for that. It's important

Talking about doing your own maintenance is cool. Some fault are just little fix even away from the car to generators. Sometimes I pieces my generator and fix it myself. I learnt by looking at those boys I've paid so much while fixing it. I'm always proud when it works. Lol

Nice tips once again.

4 Likes

Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by HerCuteness(f): 11:23am On Jan 24, 2019
valid points
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by Justbeingreal(m): 11:24am On Jan 24, 2019
undecided

Saving is not easy tho!

Is when the income is good that's when u can save efficiently or else you will keep running back to the savings to eat it....

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by infocabal(m): 11:24am On Jan 24, 2019
Nice
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by jamaicabakare(m): 11:24am On Jan 24, 2019
Ok
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by i2know2(m): 11:24am On Jan 24, 2019
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by i2know2(m): 11:25am On Jan 24, 2019
HerCuteness:
valid points

thanks
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by freemanbubble: 11:25am On Jan 24, 2019
Okay
The truth be say people like this when dey write all this kind saving saving article nor get one naira for account

Na Nigeria you go for see low budget asss Moda fuckkkkng broke niggarrrr dey advertise to the public on how to make money

2 Likes

Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by Zico5(m): 11:25am On Jan 24, 2019
The best way to save for investment after taking care of aforementioned facts above is joining cooperative. I never know this could help until I looked vividly into it. we have legitimate cooperative societies here in Lagos. if u have a very lucrative business u need to start as soon as possible, good cooperative system is the deal. I started with 40k a month and now I can boast of 240k within six months in which u can get times 2 of ur contribution to start whatever u are willing to do at just 5 percent interest.

1 Like

Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by i2know2(m): 11:25am On Jan 24, 2019
SEONaijaExpert:
Still reading

ok
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by tomdon(m): 11:25am On Jan 24, 2019
Mcheeww
All na wash
Get more, you will have more savings.
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by i2know2(m): 11:26am On Jan 24, 2019
infocabal:
Nice

protocolz3:
wow

thanks
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by godson300040(m): 11:27am On Jan 24, 2019
Really se bi na when u don get the money to afford all the above mentioned before u can then apply this formula u are giving..... Smh sha...
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by i2know2(m): 11:29am On Jan 24, 2019
Justbeingreal:
undecided

Saving is not easy tho!

Is when the income is good that's when u can save efficiently or else you will keep running back to the savings to eat it....

saving is not easy. nothing good comes easy, it takes sacrifices. bro you can start saving about one tenth of your earnings even if the earning is not that good.
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by Nobody: 11:29am On Jan 24, 2019
grin

Hmnmmm. Some of the things listed here are called "little economies" and saving them won't make anyone rich.
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by chinavs9ja(m): 11:30am On Jan 24, 2019
Your business never perfects without a website...I am a website designer check my signature for my contact
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by i2know2(m): 11:31am On Jan 24, 2019
tomdon:
Mcheeww
All na wash
Get more, you will have more savings.

bro if you do not have saving mentality, more money will only lead to more extravagance.
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by Agboki: 11:32am On Jan 24, 2019
all dis na my new yr resolution and e dey work 4 me!no more my favorite start lager beer for me again.
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by millionboi2: 11:32am On Jan 24, 2019
Won good tin abt havin ur own entrprise is dat ones built,u will reap d fruit till death and atimes unto ur children.

2 Likes

Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by 12345baba(m): 11:33am On Jan 24, 2019
Example dstv boost up
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by Katier00(f): 11:33am On Jan 24, 2019
Save before you spent period
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by zudeha: 11:34am On Jan 24, 2019
thanks for the tip
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by i2know2(m): 11:34am On Jan 24, 2019
Agboki:
all dis na my new yr resolution and e dey work 4 me!no more my favorite start lager beer for me again.

Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by Justbeingreal(m): 11:36am On Jan 24, 2019
i2know2:

saving is not easy. nothing good comes easy, it takes sacrifices. bro you can start saving about one tenth of your earnings even if the earning is not that good.
I understand; I am speaking in general here even in cases where the income is good the economy still makes it difficult to save good...as income increases one's responsibility increases as well...its a crazy circle when the economy is messed up to save on legit hustle ain't no joke...
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by i2know2(m): 11:36am On Jan 24, 2019
millionboi2:
Won good tin abt havin ur own entrprise is dat ones built,u will reap d fruit till death and atimes unto ur children.

well said

1 Like

Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by i2know2(m): 11:37am On Jan 24, 2019
12345baba:
Example dstv boost up

Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by i2know2(m): 11:42am On Jan 24, 2019
SEONaijaExpert:
Still reading

Done reading

Nice tips

2 points stood out for me though. Others seem not feasible.

I like the wash your own car point, yeah. It's cool and I think most men does it. But sometimes for a thorough wash you've got to pay once a while for that. It's important

Talking about doing your own maintenance is cool. Some fault are just little fix even away from the car to generators. Sometimes I pieces my generator and fix it myself. I learnt by looking at those boys I've paid so much while fixing it. I'm always proud when it works. Lol

Nice tips once again.

thanks. your likes are rear on NL.
Re: Easy Ways To Save Up And Start Your Business by Bigmikedagod(m): 11:45am On Jan 24, 2019
ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Smoothies And Fruit Juice Shop Business Plan For Nigeria / Is Entrepreneurship Over-rated? / Tips on how to retrieve your money after you have been scammed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.