Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,212 members, 7,825,796 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution (1630 Views)

Tinubu’s Associates Fear Buhari May Turn Against Him After 2019 / Northern Nigeria Is The Capital Of World Poverty - Brookings Institute Report / Nigeria Overtakes India As Number 1 In World's Poverty Rating - Brookings Instit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by duwdu: 4:42pm On Jan 24, 2019
Why Buhari may win presidential poll – Brookings Institution

By Timileyin Omilana
24 January 2019   |   3:12 pm

The Brookings Institution, a nonprofit public policy organization based in Washington, DC, has highlighted reasons the ruling All Progressives Congress presidential candidate president Muhammadu Buhari may win the next month presidential poll.
The institute in a publication on Tuesday said: “Buhari appears to have a slight advantage going into the election.”

The Institute said Buhari may win the poll because “APC currently controls 24 states of the federation while PDP controls only 11” and because the ruling party “has a strong presence in the two zones with the highest numbers of registered voters in the country, the Northwest and the Southwest.”

The Northwest and Southwest have approximately 20 million voters and 16 million voters respectively. Lagos and Kano States have the highest number of registered voters with 6.5 million and 5.4 million respectively.

The Brookings Institution’s report authored by Jideofor Adibe said the power of incumbency may also tilt the outcome of the votes in favour of President Buhari.

“APC equally has the advantage of incumbency, conferring them the ability to deploy key state institutions to serve partisan objectives.”

Nigeria heads to polls on February 16 and it is expected to be fiercely contested by candidates from 73 parties, former vice president Atiku Abubakar, former Central Bank Deputy Governor, Kingsley Moghalu, Sahara Reporters Publisher, Omoyele Sowore are part of the contestants aiming to end Buhari’s reign.

The organisation said it is still unclear if the security challenges, “farmer-herder clashes and the resurgence of Boko Haram and increasing insecurity”, the country is embattled in will affect the “electoral fortunes” for the incumbent president.

For Abubakar, the institute said, “his restructuring may have endeared him to some people in the South, it remains unclear how it will impact his support in the North, where restructuring is viewed with suspicion.”

While Buhari remains the frontrunner, The Brookings’s prediction on Nigeria’s future in the successful eventuality of Buhari’s reelection sounded ominous.

“Regardless of who wins the election, Nigerians are likely to have a tough time this year.”

Source: https://guardian.ng/news/why-buhari-may-win-presidential-poll-brookings-institution/

P34c3

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by madridguy(m): 4:43pm On Jan 24, 2019
“Regardless of who wins the election, Nigerians are likely to have a tough time this year.”

God please help us.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by rusher14: 4:45pm On Jan 24, 2019
Atiku dem go chop your money clean mouth.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by KwoiZabo(m): 4:57pm On Jan 24, 2019
We that are on ground knows Atiku will win with a Landslide.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by arewaboy01(m): 5:00pm On Jan 24, 2019
rusher14:
Atiku dem go chop your money clean mouth.
our money

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by arewaboy01(m): 5:01pm On Jan 24, 2019
KwoiZabo:
which ground... please I don't want to laugh lollll

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by kahal29: 5:03pm On Jan 24, 2019

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by helinues: 5:04pm On Jan 24, 2019
For sure now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by Yankee101: 5:05pm On Jan 24, 2019
Make the guy come naija come see wetin Kwankwaso dey do for Kano and what Igbos did in Lagos in 2015

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by kahal29: 5:09pm On Jan 24, 2019

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by Racoon(m): 5:12pm On Jan 24, 2019
Given all the permutations & realities on ground @ present, Atiku will win the presidential election in a shocking way the APC never thought they will win the 2015 own.Many never give him a chance & will never see it coming.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by duwdu: 6:48pm On Jan 24, 2019
Racoon:
Given all the permutations & realities on ground @ present, Atiku will win the presidential election in a shocking way the APC never thought they will win the 2015 own.Many never give him a chance & will never see it coming.

Shortly before the 2015 elections, a close friend of mine opined that he feared that the PDP might win o; that what did I think?

I answered that it depended on who one asked, and that as far as I was concerned, the introduction of the Card Reader technology to be used for accreditation during the election, would make it difficult for much of the rigging machines that were previously prevalent, to be effective. My friend answered, "ah, OK."

The rest is now history.

Let me say it here again: The current INEC is dead serious about making the Card Reader ecosystem even more potent against the traditional rigging apparatus of any party. To me, that means the usual phantom vote numbers that would previously emanate from, say, the creeks, would be severely reduced during the elections coming up from about three weeks.

Now, you make of that what you may. Me, I don talk maiyon o.

But hey, what do I know?

P34c3

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by kahal29: 5:26am On Jan 25, 2019
Racoon:

Mmmmmh
Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by RockHard: 5:42am On Jan 25, 2019
Anyone that really thinks PMB will lose the coming election to Atiku is a jester.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by SalamRushdie: 5:48am On Jan 25, 2019
When I see a Bourdillon sponsored report I know It
Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by odiks: 5:51am On Jan 25, 2019
RockHard:
Anyone that really thinks PMB will lose the coming elections to Atiku is a jester.

No mind them

3 Likes

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by odiks: 5:53am On Jan 25, 2019
SalamRushdie:
When I see a Bourdillon sponsored report I know It

Bourdillon sponsored report in Guardian or Brooking?

Are you OK?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by allthingsgood: 5:57am On Jan 25, 2019
madridguy:

God please help us.

God helped u by sending buhari the redeemer. But u murmured. Now some children of God are even rooting for atiku the pharaoh

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by ivandragon: 6:17am On Jan 25, 2019
duwdu:

Shortly before the 2015 elections, a close friend of mine opined that he feared that the PDP might win o; that what did I think?

I answered that it depended on who one asked, and that as far as I was concerned, the introduction of the Card Reader technology to be used for accreditation during the election, would make it difficult for much of the rigging machines that were previously prevalent, to be effective. My friend answered, "ah, OK."

The rest is now history.

Let me say it here again: The current INEC is dead serious about making the Card Reader ecosystem even more potent against the traditional rigging apparatus of any party. To me, that means the usual phantom vote numbers that would previously emanate from, say, the creeks, would be severely reduced during the elections coming up from about three weeks.

Now, you make of that what you may. Me, I don talk maiyon o.

But hey, what do I know?

P34c3

What about the millions of dubious votes gotten by PMB up north in the last general elections?

How will INEC tackle underage voting up north?

From all indications, INEC & security agencies are working assiduously to checkmate election rigging in the south but are content to let the north do what it wants...
Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by Corrinthians(m): 6:56am On Jan 25, 2019
We don't need no one to tell us that. Even pigs already know, same way they knew when they existed as TAN under the ineffectual buffoon. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by Ovamboland(m): 8:42am On Jan 25, 2019
ivandragon:

What about the millions of dubious votes gotten by PMB up north in the last general elections?

How will INEC tackle underage voting up north?

From all indications, INEC & security agencies are working assiduously to checkmate election rigging in the south but are content to let the north do what it wants...

But many said Atiku will share the north with Buhari, don't worry he will benefit from any rigging in north too including underage voters so no issues.
Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by BluntBoy(m): 12:56pm On Jan 25, 2019
KwoiZabo:

grin

Do you know the meaning of landslide?
Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by KwoiZabo(m): 12:58pm On Jan 25, 2019
BluntBoy:

grin

Do you know the meaning of landslide?
mark my post. Landslide. Meanwhile, where is Aisha Buhari?
Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by BluntBoy(m): 1:06pm On Jan 25, 2019
KwoiZabo:
mark my post. Landslide. Meanwhile, where is Aisha Buhari?

Alright, enjoy your delusion while it lasts. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by porka: 1:13pm On Jan 25, 2019
From

"no one can defeat Buhari in the north"

to

"Why Buhari MAY win".

What has happened to the idol?

Why the struggle all of a sudden?

Lol
Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by nonsobaba: 1:14pm On Jan 25, 2019
The brookings institute should have kept this report for now to allow the hopeful grin Atiku and Peter Obi to continue big spending of the monies they looted from government in vain. That is what gets me excited. Easy come, easy go grin
Re: Why Buhari May Win Presidential Poll – Brookings Institution by Charmingrascal(m): 1:23pm On Jan 25, 2019
Now this a sane analysis the highest number of registered voters are in APC states and APC controls more states than PDP.

I still wonder how some people think Atiku will win Buhari, maybe they think elections are won social media. They forgt to learn from Ekiti state where Fayose had more support on social media especially Nairaland and still lost when it was time for elections.
I won't use Osun as an example because the election wasn't fair but Ekiti was free and fair to the core.

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Ganduje Hits Kano CP Wakili / Bloody Kano Re-run / We Won't Leave You Alone Until You Return To Your Country - APC Tells Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.