Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:47 AM

Britain Reacts To Suspension Of Chief Justice Of The Federation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Britain Reacts To Suspension Of Chief Justice Of The Federation (503 Views)

Wole Soyinka Reacts To Suspension Of Twitter In Nigeria / Twitter Reacts To Suspension By Nigerian Government, Says It's 'Deeply Concerned / Fani-Kayode Reacts To Suspension Of Fayemi From APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Britain Reacts To Suspension Of Chief Justice Of The Federation by Nodogragra4me(m): 7:20pm On Jan 26, 2019
The UK issued the following statement:

The British High Commission expresses serious concern over the suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria. We have heard a wide range of credible and independent voices, including in the Nigerian legal profession and civil society, who have expressed concern over the constitutionality of the executive branch’s suspension of the chief officer of the judiciary.

We respect Nigeria’s sovereign authority and its right to adjudicate on constitutional provisions but as friends of the Nigerian people, we are compelled to observe that the timing of this action, so close to national elections, gives cause for concern. It risks affecting both domestic and international perceptions on the credibility of the forthcoming elections. We, along with other members of the international community, are following developments closely.

We encourage all actors to maintain calm and address the concerns raised by this development through due process, demonstrating their commitment to respecting the constitution and the impartial administration of the rule of law. We further urge them to take steps to ensure that elections take place in an environment conducive to a free, fair and peaceful process.

Further information
Follow the Foreign Office on Twitter @foreignoffice and Facebook
Follow the Foreign Office on Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn
Media enquiries
For journalists

Email
newsdesk@fco.gov.uk

Newsdesk
020 7008 3100

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-statement-on-suspension-of-nigerian-chief-justice
Re: Britain Reacts To Suspension Of Chief Justice Of The Federation by Nodogragra4me(m): 7:21pm On Jan 26, 2019
Lots of fire works next week, no doubt
Re: Britain Reacts To Suspension Of Chief Justice Of The Federation by dodelight(m): 7:33pm On Jan 26, 2019
Buhari and his party have successfully started the fire that will consume them. They can't escape this.
Re: Britain Reacts To Suspension Of Chief Justice Of The Federation by deboysben(m): 7:41pm On Jan 26, 2019
Buhari has touched the tail of lion and it must surely come for him and destroy him
Re: Britain Reacts To Suspension Of Chief Justice Of The Federation by SimplePlan34: 7:41pm On Jan 26, 2019
I see buhari been disgraced. Though I am a PDP supporter I alway knew buhari would win d elections he outclassed Atiku. but for once it seem those prophets were right election might not hold. All Saraki need now is do is GRA gra. Once the international community sees the executive wants to intimidate the legislature they would step in. In fact signs are been shown that within d judiciary they are not happy. I think Buhari has played into the hands of the PDP. Stopping campaign is a sign they want the election not to hold. well APC is threading a route Nigeria has neva gone before. Anarchy. Let's see how it goes.
Re: Britain Reacts To Suspension Of Chief Justice Of The Federation by alizma: 7:47pm On Jan 26, 2019
let them react. reversal of Buhari's stand is what is not allowed. they didn't reverse GEJ suspension of CBN governor in 2015, they can't reverse this.
anybody wey won carry fire for head for this matter, make e carry am. when the fire burn the person head, nobody go advise am make e drop the fire.

(1) (Reply)

Festus Keyamo Busted After Sharing Fake Kano Campaign Videos / APC Speaks On Buhari Being Unfit To Continue In Office / Photos: Dogara Bags Chieftaincy Title In Anambra State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.