Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,240 members, 7,953,908 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:44 AM

My 7 Months Old GSD Doesn’t Bark. Is This Normal? - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / My 7 Months Old GSD Doesn’t Bark. Is This Normal? (5513 Views)

Meet My 7 Weeks Old Lhasa / My 8 Months Caucasian Mixed Breed Doesn’t Bark At All... Any Advice Please / Diary Of Summer My 4month Old Gsd....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 7 Months Old GSD Doesn’t Bark. Is This Normal? by Ogcruz: 2:28pm On Jan 28, 2019
First of all
Are it's patents aggressive?
Because alot of German shepherd are not aggressive naturally
And need good training and socialization to be a good guard dog
And if the parents are not aggressive then sorry o
Your dog has very slim chance of being aggressive

And try boosting its confidence
And never ever beat her it will just break her confidence
Gsd are very sensitive dogs

I have two dog because my first one is a gsd did not start barking till 11months lol
The other one is a rott/gsd
I never thought that one anything
But she started barking at 4months
She aggressive and confident because the parents are too
Re: My 7 Months Old GSD Doesn’t Bark. Is This Normal? by Hamatoyoshi: 11:22pm On Feb 04, 2019
IamAnderson:

yes some dogs don't start barking till 9 months sef
I've seen a guy on NL that was complaining about his dog that was not barking at 6 months but later by 9 months the dog changed totally (you can search for the thread, I can't really remember the name)
some dogs stay till a year sef
he just needs to try to trigger the dog's barking instincts and give it time, the dog will most likely start

Good thing you said “ some dogs."..... This one may be different.....
Re: My 7 Months Old GSD Doesn’t Bark. Is This Normal? by PattyMike(m): 1:54am On Feb 05, 2019
Barks different o which type are you talking about....my boerboel started barking at 4 months the sharp sounding really loud bark when she needs my attention or wants to be let out of her cage...and I always taught that was her bark until when she was about a year few weeks I noticed when I tried to pick her bowl and give more food thats when I heard the warning growl first , deep vibrating sound then the bark omo I nearly piss for body drop plate japa cus that bark I have never heard before....now she's a year 8 months and the bark is very scary now....make fly just pass gate nah war. keypoint is he's young and growing you don't need the yappy barks what you need to look out for is the deep growl bark the type that will put fear of God in you. He needs to feel dominant and confidence brings dominance. You will see let the kid grow �
Re: My 7 Months Old GSD Doesn’t Bark. Is This Normal? by brainstorm21(m): 11:05am On Jun 27, 2019
Doesn't he bark at all? That's weird. Although I think your dog could just be taught that. I am a dog breeder and also engaged in dog training, and this problem is very rare, but it still exists... You know how I dealt with this problem? You put a dog in front of me, hold a piece of meat over his head and don't give it. I repeat "voice! ", then tease a little bit dog and then he will start barking (sooner or later it should happen), praise the dog and give the meat. Most dogs take just a couple of days to realize that the meat is given only for the sound. This is described in more detail in this article https://www.puppiesclub.com/essential-dog-commands/ and I think you will find a lot of useful information there. Good luck with training dogs, the main thing - persistence
Re: My 7 Months Old GSD Doesn’t Bark. Is This Normal? by pcoolioz(m): 12:02pm On Jun 27, 2019
This is the thread I read that almost made me want to throw my dog away around January . My dog is the most gentle dog I have ever come across, so gentle it was already looking like say na mumu grin. In fact ehn, my friends used to call it a cat. I heard it's first bark when it was like 5months and I can tell you it did not bark up to 10 times in all. You can imagine!

If you even get it agitated, it will take a long time before it reacts. People come in and it won't even bark, just be looking like a retard. This continued till it was 9months+. I had already given up self until last month. Now, even though it's not fully grounded it has has started barking at strangers and people who knock the gate. It just started on its own.

From what I learned, many of these rules don't apply. Because if you are talking of Petting, lots of people did pet the dog when it was little. I carried it everywhere like a baby till I could not carry it. But still, it became territorial even without my actually doing anything. It's very frustrating to wait but I'm sure with time it will bark. My friend's dog did not start until it was 1year+. Although I have heard of cases where some dogs stay dull till the end. So it's really dependent on if you wanna take the risk.

2 Likes

Re: My 7 Months Old GSD Doesn’t Bark. Is This Normal? by pcoolioz(m): 12:04pm On Jun 27, 2019
Re: My 7 Months Old GSD Doesn’t Bark. Is This Normal? by Davidolu2: 10:22am On Sep 10, 2021
If you want an aggressive dog, cage him for 2 month
Feed inside that cage both morning and afternoon but always starve him of evening food. You will see changes
Re: My 7 Months Old GSD Doesn’t Bark. Is This Normal? by harmargedon: 5:56pm On Sep 10, 2021
savagefinder1:
Exactly, chain ur dog and bring the chicken close to it. close enough to agitate it but far away from your dogs reach.
preferably, u can feed the chicken from your dogs plate. your dog would get angry and want to bite it hence barking would be triggered.

tease it with a live chicken
that will bring out its aggression

I support what this fellow just said
have you seen an agressive dog before?
Re: My 7 Months Old GSD Doesn’t Bark. Is This Normal? by harmargedon: 5:58pm On Sep 10, 2021
pcoolioz:
This is the thread I read that almost made me want to throw my dog away around January . My dog is the most gentle dog I have ever come across, so gentle it was already looking like say na mumu grin. In fact ehn, my friends used to call it a cat. I heard it's first bark when it was like 5months and I can tell you it did not bark up to 10 times in all. You can imagine!

If you even get it agitated, it will take a long time before it reacts. People come in and it won't even bark, just be looking like a retard. This continued till it was 9months+. I had already given up self until last month. Now, even though it's not fully grounded it has has started barking at strangers and people who knock the gate. It just started on its own.

From what I learned, many of these rules don't apply. Because if you are talking of Petting, lots of people did pet the dog when it was little. I carried it everywhere like a baby till I could not carry it. But still, it became territorial even without my actually doing anything. It's very frustrating to wait but I'm sure with time it will bark. My friend's dog did not start until it was 1year+. Although I have heard of cases where some dogs stay dull till the end. So it's really dependent on if you wanna take the risk.
I don't know how to make people understand that, feeding and mce a day or caging a dog doesn't make it territorial.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Binggo Dog Food In Ikorodu. / I Beg Help My Dog Has Mange / My Piebald Caucasian, History, Puppies And Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.