Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,404 members, 7,836,616 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Okigbo Report: We Can’t Prosecute Ibb, Says Fg - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okigbo Report: We Can’t Prosecute Ibb, Says Fg (757 Views)

I Am A Victim Of June 12 -IBB Says In Exclusive Interview / Okigbo Report: Fg Considers Action Against Babangida / How Ibb Wasted $12bn Oil Windfall – Okigbo Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okigbo Report: We Can’t Prosecute Ibb, Says Fg by Abagworo(m): 3:00am On Aug 18, 2010
By Laide Akinboade
ABUJA—ATTORNEY General of the Federation, AGF, Mr. Mohammed Adoke, yesterday, said he could not prosecute former Military President, General Ibrahim Babangida because there was no white paper on the Okigbo Report.
Mr. Adoke who made the revelation when he visited the Minister of Information and Communications, Prof. Dora Akunyili said those who are criticizing him on the missing report were intellectually lazy as well as dishonest.
The minister who explained that he would not prosecute any Nigerian to please others, stated: “Those making the allegation are intellectually lazy and dishonest.
When I got to the office of AGF, I got a request from one of the civil society groups requesting that I should, on the basis of Okigbo Report prosecute former military president, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (rtd). I do not have the report and it is interesting to know that I am not the custodian of the report and I do not keep government record.
It is the Secretary to the Government of the Federation that keeps such sensitive government reports.
Certified photocopy
“So I wrote to the SGF to send me the report. They sent the photocopy and anybody who is conversant with legal procedure will know that a photocopy that is not even certified photocopy, a mere photocopy of the report and asking me to prosecute based on the report is not acceptable before the courts.
“I took the first step of authenticating the photocopy of the report. I did not do it on my own, I set up a committee comprising the Solicitor General of the Federation, Director of Public Prosecutions as well as one of my Special Assistants.
I asked them to verify and authenticate this report and to see whether it was submitted to the Federal Government or whether the Federal Executive Council deliberated on it or whether there was white paper on it. Unfortunately they could not find the report and we were told there was no white paper on the report.”
Adoke recalled that a committee was set up to reorganize the Central Bank of Nigeria in 1993/94, adding: “It was not a probe panel, whatever resulted from that panel on CBN was a side kick and if anybody has any proof to prosecute anybody I assure them I will take action.”
He added: “I am a professional, I am not a politician and I will not play politics. I will not prosecute any Nigerian because I want to impress anybody.”
On the deportation of Vaswani Brothers from the country in 2007, the minister said the deportation was oppressive as it did not follow the dictates of the constitution.
His words: “I did not withdraw the charges against the Vaswani brothers.
Vaswani brothers were wrongfully deported from this country and they felt they were wrongfully deported and they went to court. The court depreciated the deportation on the ground that it was oppressive and it was irregular and that it was not done within the confines of the law. I had no choice but to comply with the court order.
“Vaswani Brothers have been in this country for the past forty years and they have created jobs for over 10,000 Nigerians. If you feel they have ran foul or committed any crime, the appropriate thing to do is to prosecute them not to deport them.
I will not be an Attorney General that will prosecute people on the basis that I want to impress people. I am not here to impress anybody; I will only prosecute on the basis of the law.
“Secondly, if you look at the implication of the deportation of Vaswani brothers, it has negative impacts on what I call foreign direct investment.
How will you be able to attracts foreigners to come and do business in a country that waits for the promoter of the business to nurture it then you deport them just because you do not want competitors. I am ready to be attacked, in fact I am ready to be sacked just because I did the right thing about the Vaswani brothers.”
Yerima’s action despicable
On the marriage of former Governor of Zamfara Sate, Senator Sani Yerima to an Egyptian minor, the AGF said the marriage was contracted under the Islamic law and that he, therefore, cannot prosecute the former governor under the 1999 Constitution.
He said: “I do not like pedophile and I see the action of Senator Yerima as one that can be likened to pedophile.
Let me say as irresponsible as his conduct is but I have to prosecute him according to the dictates of the law.
“The Child Right Acts is meant for Nigerian child but the girl in question is an Egyptian and the girl was brought into the country by her parents for marriage to Senator Yerima.
If you go through the 1999 constitution, as much as the National Assembly and State Houses of Assembly have the right to domesticate the Child Rights Act, they do not have the power to enact laws that will regulate Customary or Islamic marriages. And this man has said ‘I contracted the marriage under Islamic law,’ how do I prosecute him under the law.
“If I have the opportunity under the provision of the law to prosecute him I will do so. Unfortunately, as the law is today until amended I am not in the position. His conduct is irresponsible but there is nothing we can do about it other than to condemn it and persuade him to see reason.”
On zoning
The minister said that zoning was a private arrangement of one particular political party and it did not derogate under the requirement of the constitution.
He said: “Zoning as long as it is not illegal or unconstitutional is not parameter of who can participate in the process. Zoning is not part of the 1999 Constitution.”
Re: Okigbo Report: We Can’t Prosecute Ibb, Says Fg by Abagworo(m): 3:02am On Aug 18, 2010
i smell conspiracy to install ibb
Re: Okigbo Report: We Can’t Prosecute Ibb, Says Fg by otokx(m): 9:33am On Aug 18, 2010
The guy don talk him own
Re: Okigbo Report: We Can’t Prosecute Ibb, Says Fg by Kennyblues(m): 12:00pm On Aug 18, 2010
Nigeria I hail thee, I am going to ask my friend from Chad to bring her 13yr old daughter to be married to me in Nigeria under The Islamic Law grin grin grin

Islamic Law; Anything can happen
Re: Okigbo Report: We Can’t Prosecute Ibb, Says Fg by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 18, 2010
Is this the same kenny or some hijacked your name ? As if you would be happy if your ibb master is prosecuted,hypocrite

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Moves To Revive Pdp In The Sw. / Abia Governor's Alarming Debt Profile / Are Nigeria's Musicians Praise Singers to the corrupt politicians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.