Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,375 members, 7,836,529 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis (24500 Views)

Reasons APC NEC May Sack Oshiomhole, NWC Members On Thursday / EXCLUSIVE: NJC Members Summon Emergency Meeting Over Onnoghen / Embattled Justice Onnoghen To Be Replaced By Justice Tanko Ibrahim Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by Ayorinwolemi: 8:42am On Jan 30, 2019
LET JUSTICE PREVAIL!!!
SHIKENA 10/10
THERE SHALL BE NO PEACE FOR ANY POLITHIEFIANS
THANKS FOR THE CLARIFICATION THOUGH!
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by OILOFGLADNESS: 8:44am On Jan 30, 2019
ojikeebere12:
The National Judicial Council (NJC) yesterday gave the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Walter Onnoghen and the one acting, Ibrahim Tanko Mohammed, a-week ultimatum to respond to the allegations of corruption and professional misconduct levelled against them.

Due to the gravity of the allegations, the NJC abridged the time and gave the accused persons one week instead of the usual 14 working days to respond to the allegations, an indication that they may be sacrificed to restore sanctity in the highly revered arm of government.

The council asked Onnoghen to explain why he did not declare all his assets and Mohammed why he submitted himself for appointment without the involvement of the NJC.The body, with the powers to discipline erring judicial officers, held the emergency meeting principally to consider petitions written against the two most senior judicial officers in the country. Since the two are incidentally involved in the crisis, they expectedly recused themselves from the meeting.

As a result, former president of the Court of Appeal, Justice Umaru Abdullahi, was elected interim chairman to preside over the meeting.The next in rank at the Supreme Court, who incidentally is not a member of the NJC, Justice Olabode Rhodes-Vivour, could not be drafted into the meeting, since he may be the obvious beneficiary of the crisis.

If the council sanctions Onnoghen and Mohammed with dismissal, Rhodes-Vivour would automatically step in as the most senior justice of the Supreme Court and the NJC would recommend him to the president for appointment.

Perhaps the NJC had to abridge the time also because Justice Mohammed is occupying the office based on an interim order. Interim orders have short life spans. If the order expires, there will be the need for a fresh order to continue to keep him in office, as vacancy must be forestalled.

Constitutionally, anyone occupying the office of the CJN in acting capacity cannot be reappointed by the president if he fails to get the Senate confirmation at the expiration of three months and it is not likely the current Senate would confirm anyone not nominated by the NJC.

Section 231 (1) of the 1999 Constitution states: “The appointment of a person to the office of Chief Justice of Nigeria shall be made by the President on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council subject to confirmation of such appointment by the Senate.”

Subsection 4 provides that: “If the office of Chief Justice of Nigeria is vacant or if the person holding the office is for any reason unable to perform the functions of the office, then until a person has been appointed to and has assumed the functions of that office, or until the person holding has resumed those functions, the President shall appoint the most senior Justice of the Supreme Court to perform those functions.”

Subsection 5, however, provides that “Except on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council, an appointment pursuant to the provisions of subsection (4) of this section shall cease to have effect after the expiration of three months from the date of such appointment, and the President shall not re-appoint a person whose appointment has lapsed.”

Mohammed’s appointment by the president happened when there was no vacancy for the office.In the petition against Onnogen, a civil society group, Resource Centre for Human Rights & Civil Education had accused him of non-declaration of his assets as required by law for public officers. He was charged with the offence at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT). This resulted in President Muhammadu Buhari suspending him and swearing in Mohammed in his place.

Consequently, another civil society group, Centre for Justice and Peace Initiative, and a former president of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Dr. Olisa Agbakoba (SAN) petitioned against Mohammed for accepting the invitation to be sworn in as the acting CJN.

In the petition dated January 28, Agbakoba said Mohammed should be sanctioned for assuming office “despite knowing of his unconstitutional appointment.”“Hon. Justice Tanko is fully aware of the state of law, yet presented himself to be sworn in by the President.

“Incidentally, Justice Tanko was a member of the NJC panel that removed Justice Obisike Orji of the Abia State High Court for accepting to be sworn in as chief judge by the governor of Abia State without the recommendation of the NJC.“It is a matter of regret that Justice Tanko who participated in this process will lend himself to this constitutional infraction.

“We pray the NJC to determine this petition in line with the decision in Justice Obisike Orji by immediately removing Tanko as Justice of the Supreme Court on grounds of gross misconduct which has generated perhaps the most controversial crisis in Nigeria’s judicial history.”

Not being a judicial officer, the NJC referred the petition written against the CCT Chairman, Danladi Umar, to the Federal Judicial Service Commission (FJSC), saying it is the appropriate constitutional body empowered to deal with it.The body adjourned to February 11.

https://m.guardian.ng/news/njc-may-sack-onnoghen-mohammed-to-end-crisis/

BETTER

TWO OF THEM SHOULD GO AND ENJOY THE MONEY THEY ALREADY ACCUMULATED!

1 Like

Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by biGwal(m): 8:45am On Jan 30, 2019
Las.......Las Justice Olabode Rhodes-Vivour (Lagos State) will be the CJN; FG playing there cards well dis time around.......

1 Like

Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by Jesusloveyou: 8:45am On Jan 30, 2019
okosodo:
Then if that is done, buhari would have been able to secure the judiciary that was however impartial as his personal property. Let me warn the people that are currently supporting this injustice that if they breed a snake, it will turn up one day to be very huge and swallow them. I am talking to Femi Falana and yoruba christians and indeed all other Christian over the country that a suprintending in the burial of Christianity.
i don't understand the jobless AGGRESSIVE lazy idiotic pigs of biafra TERRORIST,

is thief onnoghen a Christian?
is a Christian a criminal.

1 Like

Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 30, 2019
Respect for Agbakogba. That is a sound SAN mehn! The petition he submitted against this new CJN is the solution. Chai! That Agbakogba na don. Respect! While everyone is shouting, baba just sent his petition with proofs that this CJN was the chairman of a team that sacked one judge at state level. And he has committed the same offence he punished his junior for. Shameless man. PhD for nothing. PhD without conscience. When they see power, they misbehave. Meaning, he has been praying for the downfall of that useless, greedy ex CJN Both of them should go.

Honestly, anyone reading or watching how we rain curses on these old fools calling themselves leaders will not understand. Imagine where Nigeria should be today. We cannot even do international transactions without been over scrutinized with embarasements. Old fools. If I were God, they would sleep tonight and that is it.

Hahahhaha a don dey talk am. See now. Ex CJN is mad-oooooo. New CJN is mad-mad-ooooo. They both must be expelled.

Next News a beg. We don tire for this one. Next!!!

1 Like

Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by kitaatita: 8:57am On Jan 30, 2019
I can pre-empt the NJC. Justice Onnoghen will be dismissed. Justice Tanko will be retired

2 Likes

Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by MyMouth(m): 8:58am On Jan 30, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

It is not the NJC that will re-instate Onnogen.The courts will and they don't make recommendations to the president. They make ORDERS!!!
Which court Hope u are not referring to the court of Appeal headed by another northerner E be like say u never sabi northern politics!

1 Like

Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by CapitanPan: 8:58am On Jan 30, 2019
KenOne:
NJC to sacked Tanko in dreams. The federal government have settled for Justice Tanko Muhammad, if NJC does not want to be ridiculed let them not accept Tanko, when the constitution also gives the president the right to accept or reject NJC recommendation.

Just like Magu's case senate rejected his confirmation and is still their as acting for almost 4yrs.

NJC recommend any other person apart from Tanko and see how Tanko will be acting CJN until 2023 he reaches 70yrs of retirement.

This is PMB accept my candidate or i render your recommendation useless using the constitution right to accept or reject your recommendation.

God bless you for this. You too get sense.

1 Like

Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by Kennitrust(m): 8:59am On Jan 30, 2019
post=75249355:
SACK, Walter Onnoghen THE CRIMINAL NOW!!!

And every fraudulent and CORRUPT souls should be jailed, no matter the party they are.

A New Nigeria we want and a new Nigeria we will get!!

if you were given the opportunity, you could be worse. I do not support corruption but it's not easy to deny excess given in your profession.
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by PaChukwudi44(m): 9:01am On Jan 30, 2019
MyMouth:

Which court Hope u are not referring to the court of Appeal headed by another northerner E be like say u never sabi northern politics!

lOL Are you so naïve!!! This is not about ethnicity.It is about the independence of the judiciary.Was it not the COA that gave the ruling halting the CCT ?
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by Itzurboi(m): 9:02am On Jan 30, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

lol Hoiw can itbe a win if the APC are unable to take over the judiciary? You think the APC government just wanted to remove Justice Onnogen as CJN? They wanted to pocket the judiciary by planting a stooge.It is not just about Onnoggen.It is about the independence of the judiciary
I am neither APC nor PDP... But let's do a simple analysis, i stand to be corrected.
1)Justice Walter + Justice Tanko(reactant)
2)NJC= Catalyst
Displacement reaction occur
3)New product- Justice Rhodes (Tinubu's man)
If it goes as analysed, It is suspected that Justice Rhodes would act in favor of Tinubu who also is APC National Leader.
So is that not a win/win?

1 Like

Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by PaChukwudi44(m): 9:03am On Jan 30, 2019
CapitanPan:

God bless you for this. You too get sense.
lol You have a problem with that.Tanko was not validly nominated as CJN.His appointment will be nullified by the courts.He will never be recommended by the NJC to be appointed CJN and he will not be the most senior Judge after Onnogen if he is suspended by the NJC

BTW one can only act as CJN for a MAXIMUM period of 3 months.
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by omogidi234(m): 9:03am On Jan 30, 2019
Racoon:
Let both of them respond to the allegations against them first then let the NJC adjucate accordingly. Meanwhile President Buhari may still want to retain Justice Tanko even if the NJC sacks him in his characteristic nepotic and ethnic supremacist agenda.

The next in rank is a Lagosian, so ' if there was a special purpose for TK, the next might fit in'.
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by akeentech(m): 9:04am On Jan 30, 2019
don4real18:

His 30k salary still gives him a good name unlike your man who sells judgement to the highest bidder
if you want to sell your own sell it to the lowest bidder
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by PaChukwudi44(m): 9:05am On Jan 30, 2019
omogidi234:

The next in rank is a Lagosian, so ' if there was a special purpose for TK, the next might fit in'.
lol grin grin grin DREAM ON.GO AND READ JUSTICE RHODES PROFILE.HE IS NOT PRO-TINUBU IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE THINKING
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by ogatboy(m): 9:07am On Jan 30, 2019
post=75249355:
SACK, Walter Onnoghen THE CRIMINAL NOW!!!

And every fraudulent and CORRUPT souls should be jailed, no matter the party they are.

A New Nigeria we want and a new Nigeria we will get!!

You are included in the curse because you keep supporting Oshiomole, Tunibu, Fashola, etc
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by Just2endowed2(m): 9:08am On Jan 30, 2019
KenOne:
NJC to sacked Tanko in dreams. The federal government have settled for Justice Tanko Muhammad, if NJC does not want to be ridiculed let them not accept Tanko, when the constitution also gives the president the right to accept or reject NJC recommendation.

Just like Magu's case senate rejected his confirmation and is still their as acting for almost 4yrs.

NJC recommend any other person apart from Tanko and see how Tanko will be acting CJN until 2023 he reaches 70yrs of retirement.

This is PMB accept my candidate or i render your recommendation useless using the constitution right to accept or reject your recommendation.

And what if he's strip of his law practice, and all his law licences revoke and he's turn into a ordinary civilian? Will he the president still choose him?
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by garfield1: 9:09am On Jan 30, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

lol grin grin grin DREAM ON.GO AND READ JUSTICE RHODES PROFILE.HE IS NOT PRO-TINUBU IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE THINKING
He is actually.he was nominated by tinubu in 2006.
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by omogidi234(m): 9:09am On Jan 30, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

I am not a politician and I didn't mention anybody's name. You can see that my message is encrypted.

But kudos that you can decode and also offer a good position as well.
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by tesppidd: 9:12am On Jan 30, 2019
Itzurboi:
I am neither APC nor PDP... But let's do a simple analysis, i stand to be corrected.
1)Justice Walter + Justice Tanko(reactant)
2)NJC= Catalyst
Displacement reaction occur
3)New product- Justice Rhodes (Tinubu's man)
If it goes as analysed, It is suspected that Justice Rhodes would act in favor of Tinubu who also is APC National Leader.
So is that not a win/win?
lol

See the kind of criminally minded youths we have in this country!

Na a whole supreme court you dey analyse like this?
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by PaChukwudi44(m): 9:15am On Jan 30, 2019
omogidi234:

I am not a politician and I didn't mention anybody's name. You can see that my message is encrypted.

But kudos that you can decode and also offer a good position as well.

fyi Justice Rhodes was the one that Freed Bode George.He is not Tinubu's man.Goi and dig up his records
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by EazyMoh(m): 9:17am On Jan 30, 2019
SalamRushdie:
No wahalla Nigerians are also sacking Buhari next month to end hopelessness and tyranny
Lol! So it has dawned on you Onnegen (or whatever the BDC agent is called) is no longer the CJN.
Any it's easier to reinstate him than PMB to lose re-election.
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by Itzurboi(m): 9:17am On Jan 30, 2019
tesppidd:
lol

See the kind of criminally minded youths we have in this country!

Na a whole supreme court you dey analyse like this?
Am not criminal minded... i get the joke in your statement tho, it was a simple analysis that pachukwudi could not quote back, i guess he got the point now.
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by PaChukwudi44(m): 9:23am On Jan 30, 2019
Itzurboi:
Am not criminal minded... i get the joke in your statement tho, it was a simple analysis that pachukwudi could not quote back, i guess he got the point now.

Go back and check Justice Rhodes profile.He is not pro Tinubu.look at this link

http://saharareporters.com/2009/11/16/njc-save-us-justice-bode-rhodes-vivour-bode-george-must-remain-prison
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by SalamRushdie: 9:24am On Jan 30, 2019
EazyMoh:

Lol! So it has dawned on you Onnegen (or whatever the BDC agent is called) is no longer the CJN.
Any it's easier to reinstate him than PMB to lose re-election.

He is currently the CJN as we speak till the NJC decides otherwise
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by PaChukwudi44(m): 9:25am On Jan 30, 2019
SalamRushdie:

He is currently the CJN as we speak till the NJC decides otherwise

allow them to continue to mumu themselves.Is their Tanker abi Tanko in charge? grin grin
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by SalamRushdie: 9:26am On Jan 30, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

allow them to continue to mumu themselves.Is their Tanker abi Tanko in charge? grin grin

don't mind them , very shallow bunch
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by supereagle(m): 9:29am On Jan 30, 2019
Racoon:
Let both of them respond to the allegations against them first then let the NJC adjucate accordingly. Meanwhile President Buhari may still want to retain Justice Tanko even if the NJC sacks him in his characteristic nepotic and ethnic supremacist agenda.

Buhari won't do it, the world is looking at us.
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by tesppidd: 9:32am On Jan 30, 2019
Itzurboi:
Glad you saw the humour in my comment.

If pachukwudi thinks that all of these would in any way turn out good for PDP then he's in for some rude awakening.

As long as Mary Odilli doesn't take over it's a lose lose for PDP.
Re: NJC May Sack Onnoghen, Mohammed To End Crisis by supereagle(m): 9:35am On Jan 30, 2019
Onnoghen is already morally tainted and the only place for him was outside the judiciary. CJN position is a holy position, a person of questionable character must stay away from it.

Corruption is like a mosquito, it sucks the blood of common man. We must unite together to fight it.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Issues 6 Queries To INEC, Denies Calling For Staggered Elections / FG Reacts To Suspension Of Dropbox By US Embassy / Group Calls On Falz And Aisha Yesufu To Run For Presidency In 2023 (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.