Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? (703 Views)

Outcome Of 2024 Utme Results, Who Is To Be Blamed? Parents, Teacher Or Students? / ASUU Strike: What Is The Resolution Of The ASUU Chapter In Your School? / 7 Things Students Can Do During The ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Medley(m): 5:13pm On Feb 02, 2019
The election is just in two weeks and the youth that form a major population of registered voters with PVC have been at home since last year with no clear sign of the strike being called off.

I was thinking that the ASUU strike would have been called off months ago, but to my amazement - even in this election period that the government in power will want to block all leakages that may lead to votes being lost to other candidates, but No! The ASUU strike is still on with no end in sight.

MY VERDICT

The strike will not affect the election at any level, even the government knows this - if not ASUU demands would have been met by all means possible.

Votes in Nigeria are seldom base on performance or achievement. A major population that will be voting will still vote for their candidate base on the usual pattern, we are yet to advance as a nation to detest bad governance and vote in protest.

What's your VERDICT, will this ASUU strike determine the result of the election. Will it make the incumbent lose votes to other candidates?
Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by lezan(m): 5:44pm On Feb 02, 2019
If I am the sitting government with all the parameters available I will not want ASUU strike to be called off...cause presently the government does not have a favorable chance among the youths which constitutes majority of university students. I’ll prefer them to be home with their parents away from their voters registration center. That way they can be disenfranchised cause I don’t see any parent allowing his or her child to leave their custody when ASUU is on strike most especially that the elections are around the corner. This way the population of the youths is inconsequential and can’t be factored into this present election.

My verdict is that many youths want change of government but they are already disenfranchised before the election began.

The present situation still favors the present government of the day though they can’t be entirely blamed for the problem of the education sector.
Shalom

1 Like

Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Jman06(m): 6:04pm On Feb 02, 2019
lezan:
If I am the sitting government with all the parameters available I will not want ASUU strike to be called off...cause presently the government does not have a favorable chance among the youths which constitutes majority of university students. I’ll prefer them to be home with their parents away from their voters registration center. That way they can be disenfranchised cause I don’t see any parent allowing his or her child to leave their custody when ASUU is on strike most especially that the elections are around the corner. This way the population of the youths is inconsequential and can’t be factored into this present election.

My verdict is that many youths want change of government but they are already disenfranchised before the election began.

The present situation still favors the present government of the day though they can’t be entirely blamed for the problem of the education sector.
Shalom
If this is their plan then it is dead on arrival because many students are presently in school. You need to come to uniben to see the number of students on ground, and those are the angry students capable of coming out to vote. Not the mummy's kids who will even be scared of coming out on election day.
Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by HumbleBoy21: 6:45pm On Feb 02, 2019
immediately after the election or same week of that election,
do not be surprised if the Strike is called off
This Is Nigeria
Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Feb 02, 2019
Jman06:
If this is their plan then it is dead on arrival because many students are presently in school. You need to come to uniben to see the number of students on ground, and those are the angry students capable of coming out to vote. Not the mummy's kids who will even be scared of coming out on election day.
You made reference to uniben but what of other students in other universities have you thought of them?
Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Feb 02, 2019
These are options available for ASUU
1. Call off the strikes before elections which might be soon
2. Wait till the government meet up with all their demands which is impossible.
Should they stick to option two they will shamelessly call off especially as a new government comes on board. The new government or the current government will say they have to settle down first before listening to them.

1 Like

Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Jman06(m): 10:44pm On Feb 02, 2019
asuustrike1:

You made reference to uniben but what of other students in other universities have you thought of them?
Likewise other schools!

Many students actually returned to school after Christmas break hoping that the strike would be called off, especially with the assurances given by the minister of labour.
Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Feb 02, 2019
Medley:
The election is just in two weeks and the youth that form a major population of registered voters with PVC have been at home since last year with no clear sign of the strike being called off.

I was thinking that the ASUU strike would have been called off months ago, but to my amazement - even in this election period that the government in power will want to block all leakages that may lead to votes being lost to other candidates, but No! The ASUU strike is still on with no end in sight.

MY VERDICT

The strike will not affect the election at any level, even the government knows this - if not ASUU demands would have been met by all means possible.

Votes in Nigeria are seldom base on performance or achievement. A major population that will be voting will still vote for their candidate base on the usual pattern, we are yet to advance as a nation to detest bad governance and vote in protest.

What's your VERDICT, will this ASUU strike determine the result of the election. Will it make the incumbent lose votes to other candidates?

These are options available for ASUU
1. Call off the strikes before elections which might be soon
2. Wait till the government meet up with all their demands which is impossible.
Should they stick to option two they will shamelessly call off especially as a new government comes on board. The new government or the current government will say they have to settle down first before listening to them.
Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Feb 02, 2019
Jman06:
Likewise other schools!

Many students actually returned to school after Christmas break hoping that the strike would be called off, especially with the assurances given by the minister of labour.
And they foolishly believed that cunny man. Who calls of strike if not ASUU?
Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Jman06(m): 10:51pm On Feb 02, 2019
asuustrike1:

That's it oo

Plus many were already tired of home
Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Medley(m): 10:59pm On Feb 02, 2019
lezan:

Shalom

Though we can't dispute the fact that student staying at home may likewise have their polling unit at home and not in school.
Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 02, 2019
Jman06:

Stop exaggerating things, those students you see in UNIBEN are mostly for JUPEB.
Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Jman06(m): 11:22pm On Feb 02, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Stop exaggerating things, those students you see in UNIBEN are mostly for JUPEB.
There's no exaggeration there. Some are even registered as adhoc staff... If you want to know if students are around, come to Osasogie or go to BDPA or Ekosodin.
Those are mostly off-k students and the most likely to vote.
Re: Will The ASUU Strike That Have Kept Youth Out Of School Affect Election Outcome? by Medley(m): 10:49am On Feb 03, 2019
asuustrike1:

I guess there's going to be a last minute action on calling off the strike. The minister of Education said it's this week, let's see how it goes.

(1) (Reply)

2 Scholarships For Nigerian Students, Apply Now / RSU Gets N50m Endowment For O B Lulu-Briggs Professorial Chair In Geriatric Care / How To Check Unilag Admission List For 2019/2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.