Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,228 members, 7,860,450 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:10 AM

4theloveofkj's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 4theloveofkj's Profile / 4theloveofkj's Posts

(1) (of 1 pages)

Culture / Nigerian Mothers Who Arrange Marriages? by 4theloveofkj: 9:57pm On Nov 15, 2017
Why do Nigerian women prefer their sons only marry Nigerian women? Especially in Igbo culture?
Culture / What Happens During A Yoruba Naming Ceremony/baby Dedication? by 4theloveofkj: 2:06am On Oct 07, 2017
I had already posted this question on the wrong section, but I wanted to ask out of curiosity what happens during a naming ceremony? I've seen in pictures and videos, that its common to wear native wear. I'm not Nigerian, so I'm trying to educate myself for when my son his born.
Family / Re: What Happens When A Child Is Born Out Of Wedlock? by 4theloveofkj: 6:09pm On Oct 01, 2017
I see. Thank you so much! With his mom, it’s neither of those things, I wish it was because she cared and it was for wellbeing but she generally has a manipulative and controlling nature. She doesn’t want him to be with me because I am seen as a threat to her plans for him as she wants him to be with someone who’ll do whatever she wants for her and she realized with me if she does something she shouldn’t be doing, I notice it and call it out. In the beginning she pretended to like me though until the relationship got serious.

You are right. Thank you so much for your kind advice and help! I wish you well also smiley

periphetes:

As you earlier mentioned that your baby daddy father is aware of your relationship with his son. This is good. Now, if you both consider yourselves too young and not yet ready for marriage. No need rushing or enforcing it, it is very important both of you have to be sure you really love and care for each other.

About the mother controlling her son is very normal, most African mothers behave that way to there sons. Her worries maybe the following:

1) She's sees you both too young
2) Her son still needs to accomplish lot in life to become independent before having a wife.
3) Also maybe your not nice, respectful and calm to her.

For now, focus on your future and the baby. keep good relationship with your baby daddy. If he truly loves and want you, he will settle the difference between his mother and you.

If you also have good communication with your baby daddy father, keep it good. And for his mother just be calm and respectful.

Don't be scared, worried or filled with regrets, the deed has been done. You still have got alot more to live for.

I wish you well smiley

1 Like

Family / Re: What Happens When A Child Is Born Out Of Wedlock? by 4theloveofkj: 6:05pm On Oct 01, 2017
It’s a complicated situation. He wants to but he can’t because his mom doesn’t want him to be involved. I got pregnant on birth control actually.
thorpido:
You do not have to marry him.From what you wrote,I doubt he is even suitable for you to marry.
Do you stay in the same town with the baby daddy?Does he want to take full responsibility for the child?If your answer to the questions is no,I'll say you shouldn't really bother yourself with traditions or arrangements.Name the child and make plans on raising him.

A brotherly advise too,learn about contraceptives and be on a plan when you are in a sexual relationship.Children are better raised in a loving home with both parents present and involved with the children.
Family / Re: What Happens When A Child Is Born Out Of Wedlock? by 4theloveofkj: 12:03am On Oct 01, 2017
Would the marriage take place now or can it happen later in future? Because we are both young and there are complications (his mother is very controlling and she doesn’t want him to take responsibility) meaning if I marry him she will always be around that’s why I wanted to find out if it has to happen.
periphetes:

Yes, you need to be married to your baby father as a proof. This signify to his people that your his legal wife and his child will have rights in his family.
Without legal marriage and during unforseen circumstances to your baby father (death) , his immediate and extended family may still deny you and your child major rights to the family.

Moreover for the future of the male child it will be right thing to get married. Unless you plan to cut off your child from his father origin. This might not turn out well in future.
Family / Re: What Happens When A Child Is Born Out Of Wedlock? by 4theloveofkj: 7:06pm On Sep 30, 2017
No I’m not Nigerian. Thank you so much smiley for the information. His family knows about me because we were in a relationship for a while and his father approved of me. Does this mean we have to marry or everything is still ok?
periphetes:

Op, I guess your not a Nigerian? Well after naming and baby dedication at the church in the presence of your baby father and 2 or 3 of his well known relatives. The Yorubas believe the first male child of a man becomes his leading heir. So long the man is married to the baby mother, they both become recognized in the man extended and immediate family.

If your yet to be identified by the man family please do so, to avoid you and your child been called outcasts. I hope this helps you smiley
Family / What Happens When A Child Is Born Out Of Wedlock? by 4theloveofkj: 7:55am On Sep 30, 2017
If you’re going to leave negative comments, do not bother yourself.

I am asking what generally happens between families when a child is born out of wedlock to young parents in their 20’s because the father of my child is Nigerian (we aren’t together at the moment), and I don’t know what else is expected within his culture, since I want to be respectful and know what to expect. What expectations are there, and what arrangements are typically made? What traditions do Yoruba people have when a male child is born besides naming ceremony and baby dedication, or what else do I need to know for when those events take place? I’m trying to educate myself. Thank you
Family / Re: "My Daughter Was Born Premature" - A Father Reveals by 4theloveofkj: 7:50am On Sep 30, 2017
Look at God. 5 months is incredibly risky, and they usually expect premature babies to have complications with behavior and lack of brain development which effects their learning. For God to keep her this far and allow her to grow to be a strong, smart 14 year old is truly a miracle and a testimony. Happy for you that you were given the chance! She is a miracle baby

(1) (of 1 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.