Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,432 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue (2147 Views)

Fashola, Tinubu Begs Igbo For Support. Pics / Solution:you Are Going To Ground Business Activities By Banning Trucks By Musiwa / Jos: Muslim Stay At Home Paralyses Business Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 19, 2010
[size=28pt]Suswam lauds Igbo for business activities in Benue
[/size]

BENUE State Governor Gabriel Suswam has declared that any state government in the nation, which ignores the Igbo people, does so at the risk of its economy.
Speaking at the Government House, Makurdi, while receiving leaders of the Igbo community from the 23 local councils of the state, Suswam expressed appreciation for the Igbo community for their investments and developmental projects in the state.

According to him, when the Igbo community resolved to boycott the popular Zaki Biam Yam Market, the biggest in the nation, over disagreements with the host community, the market ran into serious challenges.

“Any state government that ignores the Igbo does so at the risk of its economy. It is in this wise that I appointed a high powered official in my government from the Igbo community to liaise between me and the community”
, Suswam said.
The governor assured the Igbo in Benue State of their security and protection, urging that they should continue their investments in the state without fear that the projects would be confiscated by any group.

“As we develop further, the issue of where one hails from will no longer be an issue because people from other communities would contest and win elections in communities where they reside and have made contributions”, he said.

On the Makurdi Modern Market damaged by fire in 2006, Governor Suswam informed the Igbo community that the administration would access funds from its insurers to rebuild parts of the market and compensate the affected traders.
He added that the administration has invested in the construction of a new Makurdi International Market, which he stated, would be completed before December 2010 to give traders access to fire-proof shops.

Earlier, President-General of the Igbo community, Benue State, Andy Nkwopara, stated that the visit to the Government House was in appreciation of the efforts of Governor Suswam towards enhancing business environment in the state.
He described Benue as one of the safest states in the country to do business because of security programmes being executed by the state government.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20541:suswam-lauds-igbo-for-business-activities-in-benue&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 19, 2010
igbo kwenu!!
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by phantom(m): 8:48pm On Aug 19, 2010
kwezue nu, lol
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 19, 2010
kwenu!!! yah!! no be like dat? :-)

instead of suswam empowering his people so that they can operate at par with the igbos in that market, he's kissing igbo ar.se. olodo.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by EzeUche22(m): 8:58pm On Aug 19, 2010
Igbo Kwenu!

Benue state, you keep on singing the right tune and you will get more investment from the Igbo.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by McKren(m): 9:01pm On Aug 19, 2010
ziddy:

kwenu!!! yah!! no be like dat? :-)

instead of suswam empowering his people so that they can operate at par with the igbos in that market, he's kissing igbo ar.se. olodo.

Who are his people? and who are not?

Tomorrow you will be the first to lecture everyone else on ethnicity, tribalism and Nationalim.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 9:25pm On Aug 19, 2010

The governor assured the Igbo in Benue State of their security and protection, urging that they should continue their investments in the state without fear that the projects would be confiscated by any group.

As we develop further, the issue of where one hails from will no longer be an issue because people from other communities would contest and win elections in communities where they reside and have made contributions”, he said.

I've never really thought of Benue as an investment haven;but if this governor continues in this line of thinking and programming, I don't see why Igbos and other Nigerians won't flock there for business. Security of life and property is the bedrock of any good business environment.

Good move, governor.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Igwe12: 9:27pm On Aug 19, 2010
This is good but also concerning. The same news came out recently from OYO state that Igbos controlled 70% of the economy in OYO from Guardian newspaper. It is good that they are doing well, but i am a fan of IGBOS investing in igboland where their investments and property is safe, I guess we have not learned our lessons yet,
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by EzeUche22(m): 10:08pm On Aug 19, 2010
Igwe-1,

Didn't you know that there are indigenous Igbo communities in Benue State?

Our presence in that state is not recent, but very old. I feel that Nigerians, including Igbos do not know the true extent of Igboland.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by excanny: 10:36pm On Aug 19, 2010
Igwe-1:

This is good but also concerning. The same news came out recently from OYO state that Igbos controlled 70% of the economy in OYO from Guardian newspaper. It is good that they are doing well, but i am a fan of IGBOS investing in igboland where their investments and property is safe, I guess we have not learned our lessons yet,

Point! What is wrong with Igbo? A man who thinks he has no enemies is a FOOL with flying colours.

Igbo has learnt nothing! And refused to learn. You think you can make wealth in foreign lands without attracting the jealousy of the locals.

PURE STUPIDITY of the highest order!
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 10:46pm On Aug 19, 2010
excanny:

Point! What is wrong with Igbo? A man who thinks he has no enemies is a FOOL with flying colours.

Igbo has learnt nothing! And refused to learn. You think you can make wealth in foreign lands without attracting the jealousy of the locals.

PURE STUPIDITY of the highest order!

Hash words.

I wouldn't put it that way. undecided

I can't remember the last time any Igbo man was attacked in Benue.
Yes, you are right about the jealousy monster, but it does not happen in all parts of Nigeria. Benue has been calm and good, at least since after the 1966 crisis when they thought they were core northerners. A lot has changed since then.

Having said that, this is not a zero sum game where Benue's gain must be Igboland's loss.
As long as the governor is serious, and the Igbo's start contesting elections in Benue state, their investments will remain safe.

You'd be shocked that southerners are more jealous of Ndigbo than middle belters.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 10:52pm On Aug 19, 2010
Again, the fact that Igbos go to other parts of Nigeria to do business is mainly because the south east has failed to invest in business infrastructure over the years.

I still recall that despite Lagos, and the lower infrastructural development of Anambra state, certain products (like certain spare parts) are still sold ONLY IN NNEWI. You have to come from wherever to buy it.
Now imagine if Anambra state builds a large industrial city what would happen.
That is one area where I think that successive governments of Anambra state failed.
So, don't blame Gov Suswan and Benue state.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Ikengawo: 11:04pm On Aug 19, 2010
^that's not true.

Igbos are investing in the east as well its just the east isn't big enough to contain them and igbo people have a culture of celebrating travel and adventure.

There are igbos in afganistan and haiti doing business, it has nothing to do with 'the east'.

I've never really thought of Benue as an investment haven;but if this governor continues in this line of thinking and programming, I don't see why Igbos and other Nigerians won't flock there for business. Security of life and property is the bedrock of any good business environment.

Good move, governor.
igbo people can turn anything into an investment haven so long as ppl inhabit it.

I think this person is very right, at risk of sounding ethnocentric the igbo are a very valuable resource and seeming attempts by the nigerian government to hold the east back is at the determent of the nation.

you have a culture of over 30 million people and 100% of them want to be rich and highly educated as their goals in life. why would you deny these people?
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by excanny: 11:11pm On Aug 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

Again, the fact that Igbos go to other parts of Nigeria to do business is mainly because the south east has failed to invest in business infrastructure over the years.

I still recall that despite Lagos, and the lower infrastructural development of Anambra state, certain products (like certain spare parts) are still sold ONLY IN NNEWI. You have to come from wherever to buy it.
That is one area where I think that successive governments of Anambra state failed.

This is what we should be consolidating on. Send our young chaps to schools to study the rudiments of science and giving the likes of Innoson a run for their money. We have the potentials.

Raise more industrialists and let people come to our place for their bread and butter.Not building wealth for jobless Tiv miscreants to vandalise some day.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 11:12pm On Aug 19, 2010
Ikengawo:

^that's not true.

Igbos are investing in the east as well its just the east isn't big enough to contain them and igbo people have a culture of celebrating travel and adventure.

There are igbos in afganistan and haiti doing business, it has nothing to do with 'the east'.

igbo people can turn anything into an investment haven so long as ppl inhabit it.

I think this person is very right, at risk of sounding ethnocentric the igbo are a very valuable resource and seeming attempts by the nigerian government to hold the east back is at the determent of the nation.

you have a culture of over 30 million people and 100% of them want to be rich and highly educated as their goals in life. why would you deny these people?

^^

Dude, did you read my post at all?

Didn't I say that this is NOT A ZERO SUM GAME?

Of course I'm also right that if you build a huge industrial estate in Anambra state, it will be filled up -fast.  cool

Some Igbos are desperate to return to the east. Yes it is true. Most can't because there is not much infrastructure to return to.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by excanny: 11:13pm On Aug 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

This is what we should be consolidating on. Send our young chaps to schools to study the rudiments of science and giving the likes of Innoson a run for their money. We have the potentials.

Raise more industrialists and let people come to our place for their bread and butter.Not building wealth for jobless Tiv miscreants to vandalise some day.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 11:16pm On Aug 19, 2010
excanny:

[b]Raise more industrialists and let people come to our place for their bread and butte[/b]r.Not building wealth for jobless Tiv miscreants to vandalise some day.

Yes I agree with you. In fact I strongly believe that if we build huge industrial and commercial estates in Anambra state, it will be filled up fast. That is what we should do, instead of whining about other states "poaching" Igbo businessmen.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Ikengawo: 11:42pm On Aug 19, 2010
^^

Dude, did you read my post at all?

Didn't I say that this is NOT A ZERO SUM GAME?

Of course I'm also right that if you build a huge industrial estate in Anambra state, it will be filled up -fast.

Some Igbos are desperate to return to the east. Yes it is true. Most can't because there is not much infrastructure to return to.

wow, you just highlighted that nothing i said contradicts what you're saying[i] at. all. [/i]

what is lacking in the east that's in benue?

the issue is that igbos like to travel and prefer it for work. that's all.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by excanny: 11:48pm On Aug 19, 2010
EzeUche22:

Igwe-1,

Didn't you know that there are indigenous Igbo communities in Benue State?

Our presence in that state is not recent, but very old. I feel that Nigerians, including Igbos do not know the true extent of Igboland.

If such investments were made in indigenous Igbo communities like Obi or Oju, a bit better. Igbo is Igbo, and Igbo is one.

The more reasons why we need our politicians to canvass that such communities be re-absorbed into proper Igbo states so that our endeavours will not be lost to 'lazy bystanders'.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 11:56pm On Aug 19, 2010
Ikengawo:

wow, you just highlighted that nothing i said contradicts what you're saying[i] at. all. [/i]

what is lacking in the east that's in benue?

the issue is that igbos like to travel and prefer it for work. that's all.

I only restated what I said earlier here:

Onlytruth:

Hash words.

I wouldn't put it that way. undecided

I can't remember the last time any Igbo man was attacked in Benue.
Yes, you are right about the jealousy monster, but it does not happen in all parts of Nigeria. Benue has been calm and good, at least since after the 1966 crisis when they thought they were core northerners. A lot has changed since then.

Having said that, [size=14pt]this is not a zero sum game where Benue's gain must be Igboland's loss.[/size]
As long as the governor is serious, and the Igbo's start contesting elections in Benue state, their investments will remain safe.

You'd be shocked that southerners are more jealous of Ndigbo than middle belters.

I still stand on that.
Of course if Anambra state builds a big industrial and commercial estate, those Igbo will see an opportunity closer to home and cash in.
I know many folks who returned from Lagos and far north. One guy is in Abakaliki.
Igbos need business friendly environments.
If they have it at home, they'll stay. That doesn't mean they won't buy that bargain property, or invest in that other lucrative venture elsewhere.
So, to "encourage" them to invest in Igboland, the governors must lead.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Nobody: 11:59pm On Aug 19, 2010
Onlytruth

I thought you said Peter Obi has done everything there needs to do in Anambra State?

Regional development and industrialization is not for small minds.

The Ingenuity of the Igbos is being wasted, our people are focused in trade alone because they have no alternative. The only way a real commerce and industry hub can be created in the SouthEast is to harness the skills of our people and make it a manufacturing based economy. Those focused on buying products in China can be encouraged to attempt to manufacture locally by providing some incenctives.

This effort required someone who had the capacity to pull all stakeholders together, encourage a public-private sector driven partnership, integrate the efforts of Government, University and Businessmen to encourage an economy where people actually make things. Onitsha and Aba are truly missing a lot due to leadership that had limited know how.

Peter Obi lacks the capacity to deliver on this. Which is why Anambra needed a Governor with the right exposure and contacts.

Please don't tell me Soludo as a private citizen can deliver on this while Peter Obi squats in Government House. It really is not possible because you need political will to deliver any vission.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 12:03am On Aug 20, 2010
mikeansy:

Onlytruth

I thought you said Peter Obi has done everything there needs to do in Anambra State?

Regional development and industrialization is not for small minds.

The Ingenuity of the Igbos is being wasted, our people are focused in trade alone because they have no alternative. The only way a real commerce and industry hub can be created in the SouthEast is to harness the skills of our people and make it a manufacturing based economy. Those focused on buying products in China can be encouraged to attempt to manufacture locally by providing some incenctives.

This effort required someone who had the capacity to pull all stakeholders together, encourage a public-private sector driven partnership, integrate the efforts of Government, University and Businessmen to encourage an economy where people actually make things. Onitsha and Aba are truly missing a lot due to leadership that had limited know how.

Peter Obi lacks the capacity to deliver on this. Which is why Anambra needed a Governor with the right exposure and contacts.

Please don't tell me Soludo as a private citizen can deliver on this while Peter Obi squats in Government House. It really is not possible because you need political will to deliver any vission.

Bros Mike I've been expecting you since. grin grin

I don't know what Obi is doing in that direction. That does not mean he is not doing anything.

This is not a PDP issue.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by phantom(m): 12:04am On Aug 20, 2010
i served in benue.lovely place
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by komando: 12:05am On Aug 20, 2010
Where is BK? Igbo Kwenu!! Yaa!
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by phantom(m): 12:08am On Aug 20, 2010
seems to me that the idoma were one of the earliest ibo groups to migrate, was suprised to learn that they call their trad. ruler 'ochi idoma'
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by OgidiBoy(m): 12:19am On Aug 20, 2010
Igbo Kwenu!!! Governor Suswam is a very smart man indeed, like my Dad would always say. If you find yourself in a place in this world with no

Igbos run as fast as your legs will carry you because that place must be inhabitable.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by Nobody: 12:26am On Aug 20, 2010
Onlytruth

I have said this before and am not sure why it does not sink. There is no political party in Nigeria with a clear ideology. I am not a PDP loyalist, I support candidates I can identify with. I am not for or against PDP as I am yet to see any party different from PDP.

If I was such a PDP man, I will be rooting for Jonathan. But I am not, I am rooting for Donald Duke in Presidential election even though he is in Labour. I was rooting for Soludo even though he was in PDP.

Anambra's failure to elect Soludo was an opportunity missed. Lets not cry over spilt milk but the fact remains that Soludo has the capacity to design a workable system from scratch. Paying Teachers Salary and repairing roads is not good enough!!!!

We need to use our heads more than our hearts when we make political judgements in Nigeria.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by igboboy1(m): 10:15am On Aug 20, 2010
OgidiBoy:

Igbo Kwenu!!! Governor Suswam is a very smart man indeed, like my Dad would always say. If you find yourself in a place in this world with no

Igbos run as fast as your legs will carry you because that place must be inhabitable.

coming to think of that, you are very right nwanne dalu wink

Ikengawo:

^that's not true.

guy you got me rolling on this one grin no be only afghanistan but also jupiter and mars
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by ud4u: 11:41am On Aug 20, 2010
Igbo Kwenu, kwenu, kwezue nuooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by ugoani(m): 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2010
What a man who did not only know and acknowledge the truth, but was very sincere to express it in the public, kudos! More good things are surely coming to Benue and you in particular
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by JesusloveU: 1:01pm On Aug 20, 2010
Kudos to the Governor.I am planning to start a business next year.Maybe i would move down to benue state ,once i get to Naija.
Re: Suswam Lauds Igbo For Business Activities In Benue by JesusloveU: 1:02pm On Aug 20, 2010
Kudos to the Governor.I am planning to start a business next year.Maybe i would move down to Benue state ,once i get to Naija.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos-badagry Expressway Project Not Terminated – Lasg ! / We Won’t Surrender, John Togo’s Men Dare Fg / I Really Appreciate All The Lagos Related Threads And Attention On Nl.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.