Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,092 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant (11612 Views)

CBN Dormant Account Policy Triggers Anxiety In Banking Sector / CBN To Grab Unclaimed Funds In Banks, Dormant Account Balances / FG To Borrow Dormant Account Balances, Unclaimed Dividends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by Sgbate(m): 10:37am On Feb 05, 2019
And GTbank just called me now on why my account is dormant, i actually went went to reactivate the account and they told me I have to bring
*newspaper publication,
*a new ID(As the old INEC ID was fading), and
*a sworn affidavit undecided shocked
I no go kuku leave dia acct for them,no be say I get money to save inside sef grin

1 Like

Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 05, 2019
That's how easy these bank workers will just empty your account cry cry
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by Taniaa(f): 10:39am On Feb 05, 2019

1 Like

Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by OkoroPeugeot(m): 10:41am On Feb 05, 2019
There is no money in the country
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by Oweku: 10:48am On Feb 05, 2019
My own join
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by berrystunn(m): 10:50am On Feb 05, 2019
Admin401:
PDP had to abandon the accounts they used to move money when they were in powet since new money isn't coming in.

See how stupid you are
This is a clear level of poverty capital.

Bank account not running.
You want to hear abandoned zero balance account.
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by noziz(m): 10:50am On Feb 05, 2019
only me one get 5 accounts wey no dey active grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by Nobody: 10:52am On Feb 05, 2019
berrystunn:

See how stupid you are

hahahahahahah grin grin
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by EazyMoh(m): 10:54am On Feb 05, 2019
Three of those are mine. grin
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by Numlock: 11:00am On Feb 05, 2019
Thanks to Buhari, where the money to go put inside naa?

People dey broke. grin
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by Numlock: 11:01am On Feb 05, 2019
madridguy:
Na after person chop belleful person dey reason to put for bank.

My account is not only dormant but empty. Make God help. Bills to pay dey increase.

You no well ooo, I swear the #30k zombie pay nko?

Sebi u see wetin Buhari don cause.

2 Likes

Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by tribalistseun: 11:02am On Feb 05, 2019
My EcoBank account must be there, after using deduction to kill me I quickly port to Zenith and GTB
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by tribalistseun: 11:03am On Feb 05, 2019
madridguy:

My account is not only dormant but empty. Make God help. Bills to pay dey increase.
atleast your parents are helping to feed and bath you everyday so that you can come on Nairaland to shout sai baba. Anu mpam

1 Like

Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by EazyMoh(m): 11:08am On Feb 05, 2019
berrystunn:

See how stupid you are

That's actually not true.
Most bank accounts were abandoned some actually with a lot of cash lodged in them because of TSA enforcement. Many people would rather abandon the account than to go through the rigors of harmonizing the accounts to reflect same name, DOB, and other particulars. Especially those used for shady purposes.
Personally I abandoned my 3 other accounts and just relied on one, because a single bank account number is actually enough for a an average, honest Nigerian.
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by madridguy(m): 11:11am On Feb 05, 2019
May God keep my parent alive for me so I can eat enough of their food.

tribalistseun:
atleast your parents are helping to feed and bath you everyday so that you can come on Nairaland to shout sai baba. Anu mpam
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by berrystunn(m): 11:15am On Feb 05, 2019
EazyMoh:

That's actually not true.
Most bank accounts were abandoned some actually with a lot of cash lodged in them because of TSA enforcement. Many people would rather abandon the account than to go through the rigors of harmonizing the accounts to reflect same name, DOB, and other particulars. Especially those used for shady purposes.
Personally I abandoned my 3 other accounts and just relied on one, because a single bank account number is actually enough for a an average, honest Nigerian.

Good to hear you abandoned 3 account.
millions of Nigerian did something.

With Zero balance .

Those with massive balance are not up to 200
And they know there way around it with bank MD.
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by Vikky014(f): 11:18am On Feb 05, 2019
madridguy:

Lol and u still dey go next level,i weak for u sha

1 Like

Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by EazyMoh(m): 11:23am On Feb 05, 2019
berrystunn:

Good to hear you abandoned 3 account.
millions of Nigerian did something.

With Zero balance .

Those with massive balance are not up to 200
And they know there way around it with bank MD.

S you attributing it to raise in poverty is actually incorrect. Because majority of the people in poverty in Nigeria don't even have account number to begin with.
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by ijabiken1(m): 11:24am On Feb 05, 2019
GoodGovernance:
Data from the Nigeria Interbank Settlement System, NIBSS, indicated that
the number of dormant/inactive bank accounts rose by 28 percent to 46.7 million in 2018 from 36.7 million in 2017.

Additional 10 million bank accounts were abandoned and left dormant, in 2018, plausibly due to economic hardship caused by sluggish economic growth, rising job losses and reduction in purchasing power occasioned, by double digit inflation.

According to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) guidelines on dormant accounts, “an account shall become inactive if there has been no customer or depositor-initiated transaction for a period of six months after the last customer or depositor initiated transaction.”

Bank customers abandon their accounts for other various reasons such as:

1.Dissatisfaction/Poor service from affected banks
2.Relocation
3.Cashflow challenges
4.Temporary usage-some contractors are forced to open accounts by contractees, in banks which they hitherto were not patronizing. And once they receive one-off payment, the accounts are consequentially abandoned.

https://www.financialdigest.com.ng/blog/2019/02/04/46-7-million-nigerian-bank-accounts-inactivedormant/
Nigeria economy is in serious trouble, many account ar dormant, d one that ar nt dormant may be has 1000 as a balance,our lifeless president as finished this country, God will punish all Nigeria leaders

1 Like

Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by MPESA(m): 11:42am On Feb 05, 2019
madridguy:

Then join hand with well meaning Nigerians to GET NIGERIA WORKING AGAIN.

2 Likes

Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by berrystunn(m): 11:54am On Feb 05, 2019
EazyMoh:

S you attributing it to raise in poverty is actually incorrect. Because majority of the people in poverty in Nigeria don't even have account number to begin with.

We talking about the millions of Nigerians that have account before and now abandon them...

Because the economy is dead on arrival.
Body language with bad policy from 2015.

2 Likes

Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by madridguy(m): 12:15pm On Feb 05, 2019
I'm ready at next level shocked

Vikky014:
Lol and u still dey go next level,i weak for u sha
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by wise0ne: 12:47pm On Feb 05, 2019
This is the effect of voting in a clueless president like the one we currently have

1 Like

Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by Vikky014(f): 12:47pm On Feb 05, 2019
madridguy:
I'm ready at next level shocked
Next level of dormancy,lol

1 Like

Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by yemi15(m): 2:18pm On Feb 05, 2019
GoodGovernance:
Data from the Nigeria Interbank Settlement System, NIBSS, indicated that
the number of dormant/inactive bank accounts rose by 28 percent to 46.7 million in 2018 from 36.7 million in 2017.

Additional 10 million bank accounts were abandoned and left dormant, in 2018, plausibly due to economic hardship caused by sluggish economic growth, rising job losses and reduction in purchasing power occasioned, by double digit inflation.

According to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) guidelines on dormant accounts, “an account shall become inactive if there has been no customer or depositor-initiated transaction for a period of six months after the last customer or depositor initiated transaction.”

Bank customers abandon their accounts for other various reasons such as:

1.Dissatisfaction/Poor service from affected banks
2.Relocation
3.Cashflow challenges
4.Temporary usage-some contractors are forced to open accounts by contractees, in banks which they hitherto were not patronizing. And once they receive one-off payment, the accounts are consequentially abandoned.

https://www.financialdigest.com.ng/blog/2019/02/04/46-7-million-nigerian-bank-accounts-inactivedormant/

Brought to you and sponsored by Lifeless FC smh.
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by yemi15(m): 2:20pm On Feb 05, 2019
madridguy:

And you are a supporter of lifeless FC smh.
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by Nobody: 4:01pm On Feb 05, 2019
Read in between the lines, it was as a result of the introduction of BVN. Most abandoned bank accounts are fraudulent bank accounts.
Re: 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant by Ugosample(m): 8:45pm On Feb 05, 2019
aaronson:
Read in between the lines, it was as a result of the introduction of BVN. Most abandoned bank accounts are fraudulent bank accounts.

not always the case

(1) (2) (Reply)

"CARD NOT SMART" What Does This Really Mean ! / Updates On Naira Debit Cards Limit / Mele Kyari: Dangote Refinery, Others To Drive Fuel Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.