Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home (17976 Views)

How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home [photo Gallary] / Build Rc Helicopter At Home [step-by-step] / Homemade Manual Rc Helicopter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 10:04am On Feb 17, 2019
smiley BUILDING MY ROTOR HEADsmiley
I found out that the rotor head is nothing but a blade holder, however some possess some features that others do not have depending on the type of heli one is building. In my system many misharps made me chose the kind of rotor head that is good for my heli, I shall be talking about only the one that gave me most desirable performance
smiley My heli crashed more than 200 times, but I would not give it up, the blades would either bend or break each time it crashed. Only one bent blade made the heli behave stupidly, untill I found ouT it was the blade. You would not believe it was the bent blade that is causing that.
smiley Because of crashing, bending and breaking, I built more than 100 pairs of blades.
smiley It was time for me to think out a method I would use so that even if my heli crashes my blade may still be safe.
smiley The type of rotor head I use, I have not found anywhere in any way, it existed only in my immerginary world. Thanks it has come to reality now.
smiley My first step in bringing my immergination to reality is always by drawing.
smiley The rotor head I built have two other functions apart from holding my blades, it reduces the chances of blade breaking as well as providing more stability.
smileysmileyBUILD THE ROTOR HEADsmileysmiley
smiley On the circuit board, the material for building rotor head, a drawing is made.
smiley This drawing is then cut out just as that of the blades.
smiley The edges are smoothened with engineering file and holes are drilled on marked points.
smiley But the diagram looks more complex than that of the blades, but I can draw it in some minutes because I have built many.
smileyThis diagram is so beacause all the holes drilled should match their counterperts that is why the four are drawn out symutaneosly.
smiley I surgest drawing on pepper first, to make sure you knoe how to draw the diagram then you can draw on board and cut.
Click here https://www.nairaland.com/5032212/how-built-rc-helicopter-home#76053689 to see my photo Gallary
feel free to call me 07088713141

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Nobody: 9:36am On Feb 18, 2019
Are u a genius?
Or is this just a practical to some YouTube video?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 2:48pm On Feb 18, 2019
SEARCH your youtube and see if you can see anything like that, maybe your friends can help you search. How I built my rc helicopter at home. You can do anything to verify.....
smiley BUILDING STARTED smiley
The above photoes show that I want to build two pairs of rotor head, for each pair one will be above the other. The pair that will hold my up blades will be different in structure from the pair that will hold my down blades. This is because my down blades are just fixed, they do not tilt but the up blade tilts with the fly bar for stability.
smiley For the up blade that will be tilting, it is built in a way that when the two are put together, they form a lengthy hole at the middle to allow tilting.
smiley But the down rotor head just has a circular hole that will be fixed to the shaft. You will get to understand it better as we go.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 11:07pm On Feb 19, 2019
smileysmileyCONTINUE DRAWINGsmileysmiley
click here https://www.nairaland.com/5032212/how-built-rc-helicopter-home#76053689 to see my photo Gallary
feel free to call me 07088713141

2 Shares

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemastar: 7:21pm On Feb 24, 2019
smiley Let us continue smiley
smiley From the last diagram you can see blue and black lines, the black lines intersects with one another to form point I drilled for my holes.
smiley The lines are drawn at the same time to ensure the points match when the two are combined.
smileyThe blue lines determines the shape and length of the rotor head, everthing is measured.

2 Shares

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Tolzeal(m): 11:54pm On Feb 26, 2019
Good job ,
Cc : lalasticlala
Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 1:37am On Feb 27, 2019
smileyCUT DRILL AND SMOOTHENsmiley
smiley I built rotor heads from the blue plastic I got from WAEC calculator. It was strong, light weight and can be easily shaped, but it breakes when a severe crash happens. This made me think about the circuit board, for my heli I use computer and handset circuit board because they are found to be very very light but stronger than others.

2 Shares

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 1:40am On Feb 27, 2019
THE HOOKS HAVE BEEN ADDED, now adding flybar hook and srews.
smiley On my blade a hole is drilled on the head of each blade. This hole is drilled so as to fit the blade to the hook on rotor head to allow back and forth movement of the blades.

2 Shares

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 1:42am On Feb 27, 2019
smileyADDING THE FLYBAR HOOK smiley
smiley Drilling is done carefully so it will not exceed the diameter I want. It is better be smaller than be wider, because, when it is smaller I will just continue drilling wider, but when the diameter exceeds what I want, I will simply start at fresh.

2 Shares

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 7:48pm On Feb 27, 2019
smiley A FORM OF STOPPER is placed on the top pair of rotor head, for me I put the stopper on the rotor head that will be below still on the top pair of rotor head. This thing I call stopper has two functions one is to stop the hook on the shaft from rotating inside the rotor head, it ensures that while the the shaft rotates with the hook, the rotor head and blades move along.
smiley And another function of providing space for my blade to move back and forth even if the rotor head is not moving. I used the system because when my blade hit against an obstacle, it simply moves back still on the rotor head and nothing will happen to it unless it is severe. Thre stoppers makes it that even thought the screws may be tightened very well, the rotor heads do not clamp the blade.
smiley My stopper stops the rotor heads from clamping the blade and also stops the shaft hook from rotating alone in the rotor head.
smiley the white plastic you can see below is gotten from a drip material, it fits my shaft perfectly and require a little force to fit it.
smiley I drilled to holes horizontally on it, cut my strong wire and passed it through the holes, this is then glued to make it strong.
smiley My flybar is coming to sit on top of this plastic.
smiley For the lower rotor, it is simple, I just found a plstic that fitts the second shaft [radio pole] perfectly, it is always forced to fit the shaft. This plastic I got from a perfume, it got broken and I found another one from a wall clock I believe they have same diameter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 8:57pm On Feb 27, 2019
smileyNOW FOR THE FLYBAR smiley
Search all rc helicopters I bet you, you may not find a fly bar like this my own. I studied the work of flybars and had to think out what will work for me and it worked. I used a writing pen inner pipe, a small ball-like material I got from motorcycle speedeometer, a stiff wire and a sweet stick.
smiley the pen pipe is cut to desirable length to have two equal pipes.
smiley then I added the ball to one end of each pipe.
smiley Now I cut the sweet stick to a small length you will see the photo.
smiley I now removed the insulator on that wire and bent it, then I put the cut sweet stick into the wire and then bent the other side.
smiley The bent of the wire is made to be the exert length of the flybar hook, see photo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 9:13pm On Feb 27, 2019
smileysmiley TEST smileysmiley smiley It is seen that, when the white sweet stick is held and the wire is touched at one end, the wire moves up and down freely in the sweet stich.
smiley now the sweet stick will be glued to white plastic you saw on the shaft. This makes the sweet stick fixed to the shaft while the wire can move upp and down freely.
smiley Now I forced my pen pipes with balls into the wire, one at one end, the other at the other end.
smiley Now my flybar can move up and down and my rotor head is doing same, it is time to link the two....

1 Share

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 1:17pm On Feb 28, 2019
smiley BUILDING MY FLYBAR LINK smiley
This I call head link or flybar link, this because of its work of linking the rotoe head to the flybar.
smiley The method I used in building the link is very easy, but was not easy to think out. I thought about it days before I could reslve this method that works.
smiley I used the stiff wire for link, it perfomed but was a bit heavy and somehow too strong. Now I found a wire from radio, it looks like a rheostat but I do not know what it is, you will see it below.
smileyI used this wire to coil round a spoke just once, and also coiled from below the one coiled just a centimeter difference.
smiley This is then cut with scissors and ramared with plier to make streight.
smiley 0.2cm difference in your too link lengths make the heli behave made, one blade will be above the other whick is excess torque.
smiley This made me build more than 20 pairs of head links, untill I measured and built accurately.

1 Share

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 1:34pm On Feb 28, 2019
smiley BUILDING MY LANDING SKID smiley
My landing skid is a product of sweet stick, alluminiun rooffing sheet and glue.
smiley the roofing sheet is cut and the sweet stick is cut to desirable length.
smiley Each end of the cut roofing sheet is shaped to enter the hole on the sweet stick, this is then glued when put.
The cut side is then glued to the longer sweet sticks. See them below

1 Share

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 1:51pm On Feb 28, 2019
smiley BUILDING MY FUSELEGE smiley
My fuselege is just catton pepper and a blue matterial use in covering files, am sorry I do not know the name.
smiley The catton pepper is shaped to have the shape of a heli, I first glued with water gulm and then with super glue.
smiley My fuselege looked very urgly when buildin, then I had to find a colourd catton pepper, I used Tummy-Tummy catton to paste all over the body just for beauty.
smiley I have built many helicopters, my target in this one was to make it look like the rc helicopter I see on google. I took time to make it look nice and good and not like an urgly home-made heli.
smiley I just targeted that my friends will say " lol that must be a toy he bought" if anybody says that, good, but if you look very well you will find out that everything about it is scratch-built.
smiley The material I got from file I said would perform the function of glass for me. I have always used it for glass in all my building, I guess it is working fine.
smiley The white colour ther is just a sticker cut in that shape and pasted.
smiley The black colour is marker colour I used my marker to colour the blades, flybar links, rotor head, stainless tube, landing skid and fuselege.

1 Share

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Blackbelly(m): 8:09pm On Feb 28, 2019
O.P you've got a follower! I'm hooked on your thread smiley

1 Like

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 9:45pm On Feb 28, 2019
smiley HAPPY FLYING smiley

1 Share

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 10:12pm On Feb 28, 2019
smiley COXIAL HELICOPTER smiley

1 Share

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 12:18pm On Apr 06, 2019
FOR THE SPEED CONTROL
I tried using radio volume controller, but they burn out easily.....I tried many but they all were doing the same thing.
2nd THOUGHT
I thought about using resistors, yes it should work out. I thought about how to make it fly at different speeds with respect to the resistors. I had to find resistors of same colour and size, I believe they should be of same resistance. Then I connected them in series with a wire from one end of the resistors to my motor, at points of joining one resistor to the other. I extended a wire to a zinc plate where a wire can be taped.
Now the other wire from my motor will now be used to tap at different plates.This means that when the wire is taped on the first plate, the helicopter flies with no resistance, second plate produces first resistance, third produces the resistance of first and second resistors combine because they are in series and so on. I used four resistors with five zinc plate in my own.
It worked but the resistors get heated and stop when the helicopter has flew above 30minutes.
3rd THOUGHT
In my third thought, instead of using resistors, I used batteries and connected them in the same way. I did this because I could not understand why the resistors are getting heated. Now when 1.5v batteries are connected in series to give 7.5v which is five batteries involved, six or below six number of zinc plate can be used. This worked perfectly well. Yes it is working.

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by OpenYourEyes1: 7:07pm On Apr 06, 2019
Impressive.
Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by OpenYourEyes1: 7:17pm On Apr 06, 2019
Noblemaker:
smiley HELLO friends! I am Nobleman, my friends call me Noblemaker Noblemaster, Nobleman, my friend SMART calls me Noble D great. I am 18yrs old and from Abia. I like flying things very much that I decided to put up reserach about them. How they can stay aloft, agaist gravity, move to their desired direction and land whenever they want. Flying machines now full the air flying many times faster than birds. Thank to the write brothers who persited in making something fly even though it may sound like illlusion in their own time. Flying rc helicopters has been very enjoyable but flying your made is more enjoyable. I have taken time to study the various tricks that rc helicopters can perform, thus building mine. Building rc helicopters has commonly been done with helicopter kits, but in the apsence of kits one can still make something fly. I believe I can use what I have to get what I need, besides, the helicopter parts sold out there are still products of processed materials. Yes I can build with things around me since I don't have money to import, besides, fabricating my own parts make me happier. One may ask how I made out such time for trials.......yes I continued in persistence because I have no alternative, I found out that I enjoy model making even though others may call it a boring activity. Here is how I built my rc helicopter at home.

How much did building this cost you?

What is the percentage of local materials compared to the foreign materials for building it ?

Can you scale it up to piloted helicopter if you have access to the required funds?
Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by shogsman(m): 9:39am On Apr 07, 2019
Amazing

1 Like

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 10:10am On Apr 07, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

How much did building this cost you?

What is the percentage of local materials compared to the foreign materials for building it ?

Can you scale it up to piloted helicopter if you have access to the required funds?
Am a student, I don't have financial capabilities to buy those electronic components.....I will continue building and flying no matter how hard it seems to be to people, to me it is fun, it makes me happy, it gives relief when anything that is existing in my imarginary world comes to stay in reality....thank you for your advice I highly appreciate...

2 Likes

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by inter6designs: 11:01am On Apr 08, 2019
This is really awesome. Now it is time for you to build a life size model and fly in it
Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 6:52pm On Apr 15, 2019
Just had a bad crash while having fun with my home made helicopter.

Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by inter6designs: 8:58am On Apr 17, 2019
Think of building a life size model without a fuel combustion engine that works with only batteries and electric units
Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Dollywood(m): 3:43pm On Apr 17, 2019
Spectacular! I also dreamed of creating inventions like you, but there's not that talent in me I wish I could have like your talent .. Kudos keep it up
Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 7:12pm On Apr 17, 2019
inter6designs:
This is really awesome. Now it is time for you to build a life size model and fly in it
Thanks buddy....that is in my vision....but no financial assistance but I must do it.
Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 7:17pm On Apr 17, 2019
inter6designs:
Think of building a life size model without a fuel combustion engine that works with only batteries and electric units
Thank you friend....many things are in my mind....finance is trying to fight me but I must make it happen.
Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 7:18pm On Apr 17, 2019
Dollywood:
Spectacular! I also dreamed of creating inventions like you, but there's not that talent in me I wish I could have like your talent .. Kudos keep it up
Thanks brothers
Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by inter6designs: 11:58am On Apr 18, 2019
use fan motors, find a way to convert DC to AC to power the blades, look for whatever parts you seek surely you will find. keep progressing
Re: How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home by Noblemaker(m): 6:30pm On Apr 18, 2019
inter6designs:
use fan motors, find a way to convert DC to AC to power the blades, look for whatever parts you seek surely you will find. keep progressing
Thank you much.....am building new fuselage and blades for that crashed one, I shall be uploading the photos soonest....you are brothers indeed. Thanks for the suggestion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Www.facebook.com | Sign Up ,create New Facebook Account Free / Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 / Man Teaches Two-legged Pig To Walk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.