Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Is Polygamy In Africa A Bad Cultural Influence? Share Your Experience Or Opinion - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Polygamy In Africa A Bad Cultural Influence? Share Your Experience Or Opinion (472 Views)

Africa : A Blessed Continent / 6 Nigerian Cultural Myths That Are Unfavourable To Women / Tiv Cultural Group Dazzle At The Lagos Street Carnival (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Polygamy In Africa A Bad Cultural Influence? Share Your Experience Or Opinion by Ade3000yrs(m): 6:57am On Feb 08, 2019
Is Polygamy In Africa A Bad Cultural Influence? Share Your Experience Or Opinion:

With the word beauty in diversity of culture, we may choose to start this discuss premiss on the fact that we run a society largely based on diversity of opininon likened to Polygamy has its long part of the African cultural history. This is pronounced in every nooks & cranny of the globe but seems to be more pronounced and entertained in Africa. For some, it is a blessing and to some it is a curse. But it must be emphasised that it is sensational topic almost every woman and most staunch heavenly minded religious faithfuls find with a sour tasting. As some would say, an accent to polygamy is like giving a deranged man a knife or pistol to go on a killing spree raising fatherless kids & subjects of juvenile delinquency everywhere. To state the obvious, for sure this practice is on the rise in Africa & could continue for countless political and economic reasons.

Many African ancestral and present day homes were commissioned at the alter of polygamy, and the count is still on the rise. But has ugly as it sounds, polygamy still bears some significance despite it twist and turns and however the female folks may find its tasting unpalatable. Aside that the Christianity doctrine frowns at this doctrine as it is believed to breed mediocrity or a mark of a mediocre, within the context of reason some of us still find space for this subject in our home and some by question of pre emptive consciousness, coincidence and chance it happens to us. But the bottom line is how does this affect our life for the better or worse forever and who are the victims and beneficiaries of this precarious pathway. Technically the reason for polygamy has evolved past our stone and primitive age and so is the dreaded and amorous polyandry that also gives the women a perfect excuse in a civilized age. Whatever we do, the ultimate concern is how does it affects the future of our kids and loved ones and to remain responsible and law abiding citizen in our society.

However it must be noted that a good number of the male folks have always had awesome but dangerous reasons to be entwined in this bedeviling expedition like a man sailing the precarious Adriatic or Atlantic sea on an ill luck boat bounded for "The New World" as it is the case in Africa immigration saga. for the purpose of enlightenment, lets share our experience and opinion from an unbiased perspective as I believe it is a long practice that favours some people while it leaves some gapping wounds and scars in the lives of countless people out there.
It is true that many.

So the questions still remains

1. What is polygamy?
2. What is the significance of polygamy and exceptional cases that it must be considered or seen as a last resort?
3. Should women as well be welcomed to practise polyandry without the fear of stigmatization?
4. How does it affect the emotional psyche of our kids and loved ones?
5. What is the legitimacy that binds this seemingly miscontrued contraction?
6. Of what economic, national and political importance could this amount to
7. Should all men and women of all social circle to include the less and highly learned and exposed be encouraged to adopt this as an option for a better life regardless of your religious affiliation?
8. A lot of women are wasting away and long past the marriageable age, should men go on the spree to contract a conjugation with these set of marriage ready or marriage craving women just as same applies to the young men wasting away without gender bias.
9. For trust & business prospect and expansion, can men marry more women while the women also at liberty to marry as many men as they can?
10. Should persons of polygamous entanglement make themselves vulnerable and open to family interferance which affects the smooth sail of the marriage?
11. Should men be so reckless to allow or accommodate two or more women however cultured and learned under a single roof considering that woman are object of emotions?
12. Most young ladies today see it as a taboo to marry a married man however cultured and pain the man may seem but would prefer to suffer in the hand of a disoriented nonchallant and battering husband all in the name of not wanting to be a second fiddle, should women who are not emotionally fit be encouraged to embrace polygamy?
13. For men who wants to explore everything in skirts and enjoy the thrill of the moment in the arms of every sick & Harry kind of woman without a fixed boundary, what is the word of advice who don't have the power over their sex drive and sex compass?
14. Leaving the government out of the picture, what can the society or individual do to help young men & women of a marriageable age get married to start living a responsible life?
15. Why is it that most women fear that a man with one wife who associate with a man with two or more wives is sooner or later going to be influenced by the later to follow suit at indulgence in such a mind threatening act?

I am a man with one wife and my candid advice is this, The number of wife a man comes to marry is a personal decision and a right to the man who calls the shots, let's all try to mind our own business and not go about poking into other people's business. If Mr a a married 30 wives please allow him relish the thrill of the moment, if it doesn't sink him, it will only make him stronger. A man who cannot keep a 1st wife should not expect nor be allowed to marry a 2nd wife else you could have just earned yourself a medallion at your funeral. Let Mr A not try to copy Mr B & vice versa when it comes to choice of marriage. www.winterbaker.com

Re: Is Polygamy In Africa A Bad Cultural Influence? Share Your Experience Or Opinion by Buharimustgo16F: 6:58am On Feb 08, 2019
Yes for sure
Re: Is Polygamy In Africa A Bad Cultural Influence? Share Your Experience Or Opinion by Alejob: 7:18am On Feb 08, 2019
Re: Is Polygamy In Africa A Bad Cultural Influence? Share Your Experience Or Opinion by tolase220(m): 10:09am On Feb 08, 2019
Polygamy is tolerable to God than homosexuality, LGBT gamut. It has its drawbacks and benefits. The practitioner must be wise and rich for any meaningful success.
Re: Is Polygamy In Africa A Bad Cultural Influence? Share Your Experience Or Opinion by Nobody: 1:19am On Feb 09, 2019
Modified

Polygamy has been in existence in Africa for long. As a result of jealous, strife and envy among persons in a polygamous home, many persons had discouraged their kids from raising a polygamous home. Some feel it is better to have side chick or concubines than marrying many wives. Some believe that many men are not satisfied with one woman hence the need to sleep around with different women without having any emotional attachment. The question that comes to mind is what use are these concubines? Why not make them your wives and then rotate which to sleep with?.
Polygamy is supported in Islam and ATR but never supported by many Christians. Although there rules guiding it in Islam compare to ATR.To the best of my knowledge you are allowed to marry just 4 women provided you cater for them and treat them equally. This aspect is lacking in many traditional beliefs. Many men just marry for the fun of it without considering the consequences.
However in spite of the benefit, many still feel that it shouldn't be encouraged.
Should polygamy be encouraged in this new era? The answer is subjective as many persons will give their view based on the cultural and religious believes. Personally I don't support it not because I have Christian background but because of personal experience. The above problem highlighted in the bolded are prevalent in many homes today hence it should not be encouraged. However there are few cases where many families live happily. I had seen that in the family I come from. It was difficult for me to detect who is the first or second wife. I got to know the second wife when her children address her has aunty while the first wife as mummy. Everyone in the house including me calls the first wife mummy and the second aunty. They lived that way hence they never had issue with their husband. My aunt been the first wife treats her husband's wife children as hers.It was difficult for me to detect which were hers from the other woman. This is one in a few cases where polygamy is good and nice.
The summary of this piece is that polygamy shouldn't be encouraged because many persons have different mindset, thinking and perceptions. The way the first wife feels, perceive or reason will be different from the other wives hence it leads to fight, quarrel, jealousy and even death. Dealing with one woman is problematic how much more numerous women. If as a man you survive polygamy, thank you stars.

(1) (Reply)

Kings In Nigeria! / Cultural Hypocrisy: How Some People Commit The Worst Attrocities On Earth / To The Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.