Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,823 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project (5553 Views)

Get Free Design For Your Brand. / Free Design Of Business Logo / Free Design Elements Available! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by MezieFresh: 6:32pm On Feb 09, 2019
Hi Guys....

So I would want to share this, and I believe it will be informative to designer's and clients Alike!

Firstly, Let's address the Clients.

CLIENT'S:

I see some clients here, who are always quick to pursue free offers and designs, or who will quickly react like... 5k or 20k for just a design? ... Really?

Let me clear something, there is nothing wrong in claiming offers some good designer's are offering, but for some newbies...they use such designs to practice and get to know how to utilize their software's well...

Now how can... You use such "semi cooked" designs as a representation of your brand?? undecided...

When it comes to pricing... Some clients are outrightly "unreasonable in pricing", You hear things like 15k for "Just a design"... Or Do it let's see"... they tell this to about 5 designer's, in a bid to get the "best" and still have a very poor budget.

Now, let's me ask you...
Do you ever invite 5 food vendors to cook for you on your wedding, and tell them you will pay the vendor whose food tastes and appears better?.... so what happens to the rest?

As a Client, know this, originality is costly and it doesn't come easy... You might say I got the logo for 3k, Until you go online and see same logo, and probably a line changed....

Until You See Design as a Value Creation, you would always see every quote as costly, No one is paid, if he is not providing value or solution.

How to Book a Designer Online..

Let's assume you, He was referred!

▶Get to Talk/Chat with Designer.
▶Get to understand the modus operandi
▶Ask for Pricing and the deliverables (Don't let price scare you)
▶Ask for link to portfolio, Check up his social media handles..
▶Follow up on his previous deliveries to other clients! See the delivery pattern.

▶If you're still doubtful, make enquiry from those Clients

When you get Convinced, And you want to Embark on the project...bear in mind the modus operandi, If you want any Adjustments to it, make that clear before initiating the project, This is possible but might affect pricing... e.g

Percentage of advance payments
Number of samples
Reviews
Date of delivery etc!

With all this you should have a smooth sail...
remember this, Be Polite, Good designs are Valuable, and Valuable things Cost a reasonable amount

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by MezieFresh: 7:07pm On Feb 09, 2019
DESIGNER:

Firstly, I do like to shout out to budding designer's who put their mind and Creativity to work, who tow the path of hardwork and loose sleep each night to better the skill set and Make this industry proud.... smiley

Dear Up and Coming designer's..... Please and please learn this trade well before you launch! It gives you a good foundation and generally helps the market.

Don't tow the path of charging 1k and copying templates online... Without putting your creativity to work! You will keep turning in circles.

People will ask how much should I charge...

This question has been asked frequently..the truth is you cannot put a price tag to creativity!

Same Logo you did for 20k, some will do for 50k and another agency will do for 150k...

But, learn to factor everything thing involved before your placing your quote... Things like:

▶Deliverables▶(Brand manual, Business cards, Types of file formats, Ads etc)

▶Resources (Time, Research and Data etc)
▶Client Involved (Startups are not same with Coca Cola, MTN or PZ.
▶The Value You are Creating (Your Creative Value, this variable)
Etc...

The above factor should give you a reasonable amount you would be comfortable with likewise you clients, this tends to increase with more bills you pay!

You definitely will charge differently when you leave your home studio, and acquire and office space with probably two staff wink.

Secondly Guys!..... Stop designing and putting a watermark over it... Even while you learn the skill learn the ethics.

A wicked client, could take same water marked design to another ignorant "unethical" designer to recreate for a cheaper fee.

Make Sure you state clearly the rules of engagement before kicking off a project, and get at least 50% of the payment before kicking off except on few cases, probably involving big brands who will definitely pay... But might just want you to prove yourself...Such projects are Binded by paper contracts.

Thirdly... Be very Clear on the Modus operandi, deliverables and prices involved.. Make sure this is clear and agreed on!...if possible issue an invoice via mail after advance payment and the agreed deliverables...This will definitely keep your project stress and argument free!

Lastly, Not all projects are for you! Some Clients have a way of making your design worth nothing... If you meet a client who consistently gives you a "headache" or keeps "pricing" till you have little or no gain...politely decline such projects!

The Design field seems saturated right?.... No, the base is...the more you go higher the fewer it gets!

Get Better, Work Smarter

Good Designer's are not Cheap!

cc: erad prof800

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by Offpoint: 9:19pm On Feb 09, 2019
Nice piece

Modify:
It make it to front-page and I'm at the top. let me use this medium to break nairaland rule No. 6.

Contact me for kinds of graphics job and you'll be glad you did.

1 Like

Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by MrMcJay(m): 12:28am On Feb 10, 2019
OP, your head is very very correct.

I'm not a designer but I've learnt some things here.

1 Like

Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by Innocent229(m): 9:03am On Feb 10, 2019
sad
Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by freemanbubble: 9:06am On Feb 10, 2019
Okay
Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by don4real18(m): 9:13am On Feb 10, 2019
A great piece... Sometimes I get ridiculous offers from clients and I just have to let them go.
You don't expect a designer to put his time into research and create something unique for cheap or free...
Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by liohan: 9:23am On Feb 10, 2019
Nice one.
I will like to add that a designer should be clear about his mechanism early on.
Some clients will make you do unnecessary revisions.
Just make sure you let your client know that your time is important and be professional with any of your design so as to avoid it.
Do not forget to ask questions. If you do not ask, you will do later and it would be uncool then.
Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by benzics(m): 9:24am On Feb 10, 2019
One of the reasons designers get priced ridiculously is because of the many cheap ass unprofessional and stupid designers out there (who are probably plagiarising other people's designs) who offer to design for a very low price...

You'll find out that that design you are offering a client for a reasonable price, there are 30 cheap asses offering to do what you are doing for so much less.. And that's one of the reasons clients don't even value designers

3 Likes

Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by internetservice: 9:25am On Feb 10, 2019
nice one
Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by hahn(m): 9:36am On Feb 10, 2019
I think the problem lies with so called business people and entrepreneurs who do not seem to realise that in order to be big you have to invest in your business.

Many start up companies in Nigeria do not have business plans and are always looking for the cheapest way to become big.

The issue affects not only design jobs but also advertising and other expenses.

I have had someone contact me asking to build a website that is profitable ie a website that makes money. I asked him his budget and he said "N50,000" and with a straight face.

Seriously Nigerian business people especially these online entrepreneurs should start thinking big and be more realistic in their projections.

1 Like

Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by Thayay(m): 9:36am On Feb 10, 2019
benzics:
One of the reasons designers get priced ridiculously is because of the many cheap ass unprofessional and stupid designers out there (who are probably plagiarising other people's designs) who offer to design for a very low price...

You'll find out that that design you are offering a client for a reasonable price, there are 30 cheap asses offering to do what you are doing for so much less.. And that's one of the reasons clients don't even value designers
so true bro. I deliberately blocked some folks from my whatsapp status cuz of issues like this.
Before a blink of an eye, you'll see the replical of your work from them

2 Likes

Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by paranorman(m): 9:48am On Feb 10, 2019
My kinda thread.. Amazing content op

1 Like

Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by Nobody: 10:47am On Feb 10, 2019
You can't expect learners to chase big clients. Things start small. Facebook didn't start with 1 billion friends, it started with college students.

Most designers make money from cheap works to feed themselves.

1 Like

Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by dimelo: 11:05am On Feb 10, 2019
nice one OP

its the major reason that I've not started offering my services just yet until I'm certain I can offer a top notch quality job (design ) without plagiarism.

but until then, I'll keep learning...

3 Likes

Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by MezieFresh: 12:57pm On Feb 10, 2019
dimelo:
nice one OP

its the major reason that I've not started offering my services just yet until I'm certain I can offer a top notch quality job (design ) without plagiarism.

but until then, I'll keep learning...

Interesting...
Keep it up
Re: DESIGNERS AND CLIENTS! Mini Guide On Having A Hitch Free Design Project by Pilot4Airbus(m): 3:53pm On Feb 10, 2019
Those who make designs for individuals in Nigeria are really trying. (Companies may not be bad)

They’re terrible people and that was why I joined a freelance platform (I avoid Nigerians there though grin)

(1) (Reply)

Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena / How Many FACES Do You See? / SOLID CONCEPTZ:Get Unique Flyers, Logos, Business card, Social media design .t.c

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.