Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,318 members, 7,836,374 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency (24394 Views)

How I Was Put In Same Cage I Urinated In For 2 Days —man Detained By CCT Chair / Onnoghen: CCT Chair Risks Jail Over Contempt / Onnoggen To Ask CCT Chair To Disqualify Self Over Alleged Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by xtivin2: 12:51pm On Feb 10, 2019
He is not a judicial official but can give judicial judgements
Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by bb6xt(m): 1:04pm On Feb 10, 2019
If the CCT answers only to the president and if it's officials and chairperson are not judicial officers it then means the CCT is an institution of the Executive arm of the government. This makes it all the more wrong that one arm of the government namely the executive should have complete power to suspend the head of another equal arm of the government (the judiciary) without recourse to the third arm (legislature). This alone makes it unconscionable without considering the actual constitutional position which already prohibits it.

If then the CCT is not a judicial body whence does it derive the power to issue exparte orders?

That a government that has repeatedly disobeyed orders of courts of competent jurisdiction should hastily procure an order from a non court and proceed to act on it is very questionable to say the least.

If any executive agency could grant an order for the head of any non executive arm of government to be removed and it will be implemented then it is only a matter of time before the National Examinations Council NECO will issue an exparte order for the removal of the Senate president and Buhari will proceed to do so even when the constitution has given neither him nor NECO such powers.

This is lawlessness and in a lawless society NO ONE IS SAFE!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by PaChukwudi44(m): 1:14pm On Feb 10, 2019
Gap2020:
You vividly how wrong you are, the supreme court judges are nominated by the President. The President as an executive, is the third arm of government , they can't appoint the other two. Senate& Speakers of house of representative are through the two third of their respective chamber and judiciary are through the ranks.

SUPREME COURT JDGES ARE NOMINATED BY THE NJC AND NOT THE PRESIDENT

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by meccuno: 1:17pm On Feb 10, 2019
Richdad50:
It is a known fact that most of the northern elites don't respond to anyone or query except the President's. Only southern rag boys are tossed like coins by the different arms of govt.

#Richdad
You need to edit your post to read thus.....the northern elites dont respond to any southerner who is not a muslim excerpt the president provided he is a hausa/fulani.
Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by ogatboy(m): 1:18pm On Feb 10, 2019
post=75583046:
ONNOGHEN: The Worst Chief Justice in the history of Nigeria, supported by thieves and criminals.

Well , like you, like APC twisting facts. No one said the chief justice is innocent. There is due process and if you don't know what it means, go and sleep

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by TB27: 1:20pm On Feb 10, 2019
bb6xt:
If the CCT answers only to the president and if it's officials and chairperson are not judicial officers it then means the CCT is an institution of the Executive arm of the government. This makes it all the more wrong that one arm of the government namely the executive should have complete power to suspend the head of another equal arm of the government (the judiciary) without recourse to the third arm (legislature). This alone makes it unconscionable without considering the actual constitutional position which already prohibits it.

If then the CCT is not a judicial body whence does it derive the power to issue exparte orders?

That a government that has repeatedly disobeyed orders of courts of competent jurisdiction should hastily procure an order from a non court and proceed to act on it is very questionable to say the least.

If any executive agency could grant an order for the head of any non executive arm of government to be removed and it will be implemented then it is only a matter of time before the National Examinations Council NECO will issue an exparte order for the removal of the Senate president and Buhari will proceed to do so even when the constitution has given neither him nor NECO such powers.

Thank you for seeing the big picture of it all.

They would soon tag you IPOB, Wailer, supporter of corruption not seeing the danger we are all walking into.

Today it’s Buhari there & he’s allowed to do this, tomorrow when we are all gone & a mad person who happens to be the president would refer to this same act and do as he likes not minding what the constitution says, then we are done for.

That’s why many people are saying follow the rules, it’s what would ensure we don’t fall in the hands of a dictator.

2 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by ogatboy(m): 1:24pm On Feb 10, 2019
2mercy:

https://punchng.com/onnoghen-cct-chair-snubs-query-says-i-report-only-to-presidency/

Well he killed himself here. You therefore cannot take the case of presidency against the supreme court justice. This is the first point. He has to either recuss himself or take the case to another court
Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by Simeon88(m): 1:27pm On Feb 10, 2019
post=75583046:
ONNOGHEN: The Worst Chief Justice in the history of Nigeria, supported by thieves and criminals.
Bro I respect your opinions but please stop these your 55 houses story. Deep down you and I even as supporter of this government know say na big exaggeration.
Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by ivandragon: 2:07pm On Feb 10, 2019
bb6xt:

This is part of what reasonable people have been pointing out.

The CCB & by extension, the CCT are constitutional appendages of the Executive arm of government & therefore, the president who is the head of the executive arm of government cannot unilaterally remove the CJN...

Most Nigerians do not understand the importance of titles...

In the Legislature, you have the Senate President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria...

Executive has the President & C-in-C of the Federal Republic of Nigeria...

Judiciary has the Chief Justice of the Federal Republic of Nigeria...

They are co-equals in the government of guiding the nation & one arm cannot unilaterally remove the order...
Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by AnanseK(m): 3:04pm On Feb 10, 2019
jmaine:

Lol.. You better stop scoring own goals.... Even the INEC chairman doesn't agree with you...
https://twitter.com/iamhistory_/status/1094230888529956864?s=19
https://www.naijiant.com/videos/inec-chairman-mahmood-yakubu-says-insecurity-worse-now-than-in-2015/
Atiku will be your new president cos those in the North west suffering from banditry in Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina and Kaduna won't vote for him. Let's not even talk about the North Central States...

What does he know about security? At least as a layman he knows that he can go to Maiduguri now.
Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by generalud: 4:24pm On Feb 10, 2019
There is God ooooooh.
Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by jmaine: 5:32pm On Feb 10, 2019
AnanseK:

What does he know about security? At least as a layman he knows that he can go to Maiduguri now.

Election held in Maiduguri in all parts of 2015, which means security greatly improved. ..and

As an INEC chairman, he knows more of the security situation than a layman cos he gets briefed regularly by top echelons of the security cos adequate Security is a functional aspect of Election.

And its for these reasons, the 2019 INEC budget is very high..
Re: Onnoghen: CCT Chair Snubs Query, Says I Report Only To Presidency by hibee4uall(m): 6:17pm On Feb 10, 2019
helinues:

That he is not a judicial officer

But acting in the capacity of Chief Justice of Nigeria

Probably you read something differently

Seriously! It's clear you are preparing for WAEC /NECO this year. No need for me to be arguing with you. Go and read your book.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Dances To 'Buga' Song At Lagos Women Support Walk For Tinubu (Video) / 35 Killed In Raid On Boko-Haram Hideout / DSS Speaks On Plot By Presidency To Sack DSS DG, Yusuf Bichi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.