Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka (8456 Views)

Dashcam Footage Of Otedola Bridge Tanker Fire/Explosion / Tanker Fire On Lagos Ibadan Expressway: Corpses Evacuated, Eyewitness Accounts / Otedola Bridge Lagos Tanker Fire: Man Narrates How He Escaped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by Barondenigeria: 7:03am On Feb 10, 2019
No fewer than two persons were confirmed dead and six others injured, when a tanker bearing petrol fell at Amawbia Roundabout in Awka and went up in flames on Saturday night.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) learnt from eyewitnesses that at least eight vehicles and some residential buildings within the vicinity were also destroyed in the inferno.

Eyewitness account said that the fire occurred in front of the Amawbia Fire Service and near the Police Headquarters, Anambra Governor’s Lodge and other public buildings.

Narrating his experience, one of the victims, Mr Paul Igwemma, whose car got burnt in the fire, said the tanker was negotiating a bend when it fell and subsequently burst into flames.

Igwemma, who was full of praises to God, said he had to abandon his vehicle and ran for his dear life.

“I saw the vehicle trying to negotiate to this direction and all of a sudden the tank fell and hit the pavement of the roundabout so I immediately out of my car.

“Few seconds after, there was an explosion accompanied by fire and as you can see, my car is burnt beyond recognition, together with about ten other vehicles,” he said.

An eyewitness, Mary Anyaora, who was seen weeping at the scene, said the number of casualties could still be more.

Anyaora said that many more people were still trapped in their buildings and might not be able to escape from the fire.
She said that the effect of the fire could have been minimal, if there was an immediate intervention from the Fire Service.

Confirming the incident, Mr Andrew Kumapayi, Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), blamed the incident on careless driving on the part of the tanker driver.

Kumapayi said that two persons died, while six others sustained injuries with eight vehicles burnt beyond recognition.

“The driver did not stop when the tank fell, the incident happened in front of the Fire Service and fire fighters were still making efforts to put out the fire,” he said.

NAN reports that the fire was still raging at the time of filing the report, while men of the fire service were seen battling to put it out.

Source:
http://www.insiderpostonline.com/news/two-dead-6-injured-in-petrol-tanker-fire-in-awka/

Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by JasonScoolari: 7:13am On Feb 10, 2019
Eyewitness account said that the fire occurred in front of the Amawbia Fire Service and near the Police Headquarters.

In front of the state fire service? Good Lord!
Negotiating a bend or Negotiating with our police?

May the souls of the departed rest peacefully.

1 Like

Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:14am On Feb 10, 2019
What a sad incident!!
May the soul of the departed Rest in Peace.

The driver did not stop when the tank fell, the incident happened in front of the Fire Service and fire fighters were still making efforts to put out the fire,” he said.
IRONY OF LIFE!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by Dannybammz: 7:14am On Feb 10, 2019
This is disheartening. RIP
Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by tyup(m): 7:16am On Feb 10, 2019
Barondenigeria:
Igwemma, who was full of praises to God, said he had to abandon his vehicle and ran for his dear life.

“I saw the vehicle trying to negotiate to this direction and all of a sudden the tank fell and hit the pavement of the roundabout so I immediately ran out of my car.

“Few seconds after, there was an explosion accompanied by fire and as you can see, my car is burnt beyond recognition, together with about ten other vehicles,” he said

Now about this man.... . I will call him a wise one

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by tyup(m): 7:16am On Feb 10, 2019
post=75583050:
What a sad incident!!

May the soul of the departed Rest in Peace.

You're always on every thread even early in the morning

Wount you goan start preparing Suya for those that want to eat at night

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by lekbel09(m): 7:17am On Feb 10, 2019
This Sunday morning God help us
Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by justi4jesu(f): 7:18am On Feb 10, 2019
So SAD ...........

We buy and sell bitcoin

We also buy and Sell PayPal

Contact on my Whatsapp for faster response and you also check my Signature
Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:21am On Feb 10, 2019
tyup:

Bring your plate our dear and good friend , FOOD IS READY! cheesy wink.
But, we don't make pepeprsoup tho, we leave that for the Pro! wink

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by emmabest2000(m): 7:25am On Feb 10, 2019
Election fire

RIP to the dead’s and quick recovery to the injured people

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:26am On Feb 10, 2019
emmabest2000:
Emma post
uhn?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by Nobody: 7:27am On Feb 10, 2019
HAPPY SUNDAY MOTHERFUĆKERS
Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by BrokenTV: 7:32am On Feb 10, 2019
Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by REDDEVILS1(m): 7:53am On Feb 10, 2019
Nigeria De Destroyer of dreams.

Hold our past and present leaders responsible.

Will love to migrate out of this hell hole with my wife and kids
Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by dododawa1: 7:54am On Feb 10, 2019
tyup:

is it your PHONE/ DATA using.
Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by Onyenna(m): 8:33am On Feb 10, 2019
Jeez!

RIP to the dead....

May the injured recover in one piece, Amen!
Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by flourishing247: 9:58am On Feb 10, 2019
Negotiating a bend. That roundabout is near the police headquarters and also near the governor's lodge

JasonScoolari:
Eyewitness account said that the fire occurred in front of the Amawbia Fire Service and near the Police Headquarters.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by OpTiX45: 11:16am On Feb 10, 2019
Buhari caused it grin...
Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by onmyowncj: 11:58am On Feb 10, 2019
JasonScoolari:

what do u mean? Fire fighters are already on ground doing their job,do u expect them to miraculously prevent the occurrence?pls let increase our praising spirit than criticism
Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by musco4me: 3:13pm On Feb 10, 2019
Barondenigeria:
No fewer than two persons were confirmed dead and six others injured, when a tanker bearing petrol fell at Amawbia Roundabout in Awka and went up in flames on Saturday night.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) learnt from eyewitnesses that at least eight vehicles and some residential buildings within the vicinity were also destroyed in the inferno.

Eyewitness account said that the fire occurred in front of the Amawbia Fire Service and near the Police Headquarters, Anambra Governor’s Lodge and other public buildings.

Narrating his experience, one of the victims, Mr Paul Igwemma, whose car got burnt in the fire, said the tanker was negotiating a bend when it fell and subsequently burst into flames.

“I saw the vehicle trying to negotiate to this direction and all of a sudden the tank fell and hit the pavement of the roundabout so I immediately out of my car.

“Few seconds after, there was an explosion accompanied by fire and as you can see, my car is burnt beyond recognition, together with about ten other vehicles,” he said.

An eyewitness, Mary Anyaora, who was seen weeping at the scene, said the number of casualties could still be more.

Anyaora said that many more people were still trapped in their buildings and might not be able to escape from the fire.
She said that the effect of the fire could have been minimal, if there was an immediate intervention from the Fire Service.

Confirming the incident, Mr Andrew Kumapayi, Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), blamed the incident on careless driving on the part of the tanker driver.

Kumapayi said that two persons died, while six others sustained injuries with eight vehicles burnt beyond recognition.

“The driver did not stop when the tank fell, the incident happened in front of the Fire Service and fire fighters were still making efforts to put out the fire,” he said.

NAN reports that the fire was still raging at the time of filing the report, while men of the fire service were seen battling to put it out.

Source:
http://www.insiderpostonline.com/news/two-dead-6-injured-in-petrol-tanker-fire-in-awka/
This is not the picture. The trailer tried turning at amawbia round about, the back fell off. The driver drove away with the head and was stopped by the police. The next dat was heard was a loud explosion. The police and driver ran away. Many ppl were roasted including a suya seller around dat area!!
Re: Two Dead, 6 Injured In Petrol Tanker Fire In Awka by kachi04(m): 11:27pm On Feb 10, 2019
Over 7 people wer roasted to death and several sustained fire burns. It's a pity

(1) (Reply)

Life Of A Nigerian Student Nurse In Canada- Lonely. / Uk Visa Reference Number (urgent) / Forex Policy:Virgin Atlantic Will Not Pull Out Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.