Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,040 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Lagos Stray Horses - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Lagos Stray Horses (2283 Views)

Nollywood Actor Killed By Stray Bullet In Asaba! – Photos / Teen Caught Sleeping With Stray Dog In Benin / Checkout Picture Of The World's Fattest & Smallest Horses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Stray Horses by 9jaRescue: 6:19pm On Aug 22, 2010
Hi people, ours is an animal rescue club in Lagos, and our current focus is the abandoned/stray horses found on the streets of surulere and Victoria Island. Could you possibly let us know specific areas (road names will be nice) where you see them regularly? It will be really nice of you to take as many pictures as you can of any sighted stray.
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by hothead(m): 8:06pm On Aug 22, 2010
skeen!! am getting you guy!!! had this project in mind,
Horses - Surulere (Off Erric Moore rd) on the way to the towers,
So what happens to the animals when they are rescued?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Stray Horses by Dolemite(f): 12:19am On Aug 23, 2010
hothead:

skeen!! am getting you guy!!! had this project in mind,
Horses - Surulere (Off Erric Moore rd) on the way to the towers,
So what happens to the animals when they are rescued?
Horse meat suya. cool
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by tpiah: 5:38am On Aug 23, 2010

abandoned horses in surulere and VI?

Since when?
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by tpiah: 5:40am On Aug 23, 2010
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by Remii(m): 5:52am On Aug 23, 2010
Those horses around Lekki / VI belong to those boys using them at the beaches for business.
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by tpiah: 2:52pm On Aug 23, 2010
well, starting an animal rescue club for them is a good idea.
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by 9jaRescue: 5:47pm On Aug 23, 2010
@hothead there is an acre of land we have secured for them in Ogun State (though by no means sufficient), the idea here is to :

1. Rehabilitate them; Some are definitely going to have to be put to sleep, while others will be put to pasture, yet there still will be some that can still be retrained for other purposes. Of course, veterinary care goes with rehabilitation.

2. Retraining; A lot of the horses on Lagos roads are polo horses that have gone past their prime, but nothing stops them for being used for less stressful activities if trained to do same.

3. Re-homing; The most crucial part of the process is to ensure that they are brought to conditions that will allow majority of them to be adopted, and thus re-homed.

At some point in time, we might have to begin neighbourhood horse-riding schools for kids, so the horses can actually pay for their feed.

Please upload pictures of horses you come across.

@tpiah; true, that's why we are looking at partnering with the VI and Surulere LGs so we can put up signs all around the affected areas telling people to stable or free-range their horses in accepted places. We are looking at providing stabling for those that are willing to pay for the service. I saw the piece.
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by Dolemite(f): 10:36pm On Aug 23, 2010
Horse meat suya anyone? hello?
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by 9jaRescue: 11:03pm On Aug 23, 2010
horsemeat wont be an option because we will be putting down only diseased equines that have no 'salvage value', sorry, horse-meat lovers!
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by Dolemite(f): 11:08pm On Aug 23, 2010
Killjoy. grin
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by tpiah: 12:31am On Aug 24, 2010
are you a vet by any chance?

and is the area mountainous or hilly- how much of a risk are tsetse flies.

and do you think you'll need the assistance of people who are familiar with horses, assuming there are any around- eg possibly northerners, arabs or whites who have some horse savvy.

just curious.
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by 9jaRescue: 2:07am On Aug 24, 2010
I am a wildlife biologist with equine experience. Manpower is being donated though; equine vets from UI (&possibly ABU) have indicated interest, current (beach) horse jockeys are pitching in, individuals are putting in stable time.

The land falls within the same vegetational belt as the Lagos Saddle Club, and currently is home to Derby Elands, which are susceptible to same dietary and health challenges as horses, though they belong to the antelope family, We will just have to construct shelter/stables b
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by tpiah: 2:09am On Aug 24, 2010
^^nice.

i'm a great admirer of marine and wildlife biologists.

that's one of the occupations i always wish i had.

wishing you all the best and hopefully you're used to the nigerian setting.
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by 9jaRescue: 9:40am On Aug 24, 2010
@ tpiah, worry not- I am a full blooded Naijaboy, so yeah i know the Nigerian setting and mentality; I dont have to conform to it though!

Want to volunteer your time at some point?
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by johnie: 2:05pm On Aug 24, 2010
Great idea!

I have seen a number of these stray horses at Lekki.

I will surely contact you when necessary.

All the best!
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by tpiah: 2:54pm On Aug 24, 2010
9jaRescue:

@ tpiah, worry not- I am a full blooded Naijaboy, so yeah i know the Nigerian setting and mentality; I dont have to conform to it though!

Want to volunteer your time at some point?

cool.

would love to check you guys out when i'm in nigeria though i dont know much about horses.
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by favouredjb(f): 5:41pm On Aug 24, 2010
Saddle club isheri ,ok
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by xreal: 12:04pm On Aug 25, 2010
Good one.
I hope you'ld extend ur tentacles up-north, you know vets and animal care are realy precious in northern nigeria.
Good luck.
Re: Lagos Stray Horses by teeboi231: 5:54pm On May 23, 2015
anybody or link of where I can rent a horse for an event.pls contact:08038060877

(1) (Reply)

They Call Themselves The "ILLUMINATI" Pictures / Nairaland Elders Meets Here / Which Is The Most Important In A Relationship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.