Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,849 members, 7,956,182 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:11 AM

The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard (34955 Views)

Atiku, Ekweremadu, Akpabio Protest Against Buhari: "Buhari Stop The Killngs" / President Buhari On A Condolence Visit To Bauchi (Photos) / Kano Youths Protest Against Buhari 'Pack Your Load' (Video, Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by NaijaRoyalty(m): 8:38pm On Feb 14, 2019
PMB losing this Saturday
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by farem: 8:40pm On Feb 14, 2019
TIGRITIS:
Ikechukwu Amaechi, continue analysing odds, in two days time, you will still analyse why ipob pigs should be allowed to do their "biafra or death" things.

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Nobody: 8:41pm On Feb 14, 2019
NaijaRoyalty:

Keep giving yourself false hope

Even buhari you're asslicking can't beat his chest confidently that he would win Atiku in a free and fair election the way you just did .

Atiku himself know he cannot win the election. I just came back from PortHarcout this evening. I witnessed Atiku & Wike PDP's rally, I also witnessed Buhari's reception and rally in PHC. I have never expected 50% of the crowd. Rivers APC never expected such large crowd and therefore never prepared for such large crowd management. That's what contributed to the stampede.

In 2015, Rivers votes was manipulated by PDP to equate Kano's vote but they could not cover up. This led to the drama performed by Elder Orubebe. The Professor who announced Rivers result is a man of conscience and integrity. He made the whole world to know he was announcing what he was given.

This time around nobody can try that. It is only a weak party that rejoices when an opponent is disqualified . In the US, the Democrats in Texas will never celebrate if Republican Party is disqualified from participating in an election. The same goes for South West Nigeria. Jimi Agbaje & Lagos PDP can never celebrate if APC is disqualified in Lagos. This goes for all states in South West.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by ItsMeAboki(m): 8:49pm On Feb 14, 2019
The singular sentimental view of a PDP apologist; from the name of the author and the newspaper, you can immediately guess where he is coming from.

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Nobody: 8:49pm On Feb 14, 2019
Whatever analysis is done by Vanguard is coming from Newspaper where Ochereome Nnnana is the editorial board chairman. He called Yorubas sophisticated Moroon because Buhari acknowledged MKO Abiola as the winner of June 12, 1993. Tomorrow, we shall analyse where Yoruba votes should go

2 Likes

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by wise0ne: 8:57pm On Feb 14, 2019
NaijaRoyalty:
By Ikechukwu Amaechi

LESS than 48 hours from now, Nigerians will elect a new president. There is, understandably, both excitement and anxiety in the air. Whichever way the election goes, its outcome will be consequential.

I am as excited as I was four years ago. This time in 2015, I had concluded that President Goodluck Jonathan was not fit for purpose and supported the then candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, General Muhammadu Buhari.

Today, I have also concluded just as I did four years ago that President Buhari is not fit for purpose and I am determined to ensure that as Jonathan was sent back to Otuoke, he is sent back to Daura.

There are two groups of Nigerians opposed to Buhari’s re-election.

The first are those who ab-initio never saw anything good in him; never believed in his capacity and who perceived him as a dyed-in-the-wool dictator and irredeemable ethnic jingoist. Such people are not disappointed at the unravelling of the Buhari presidency and the sentiment is more of: “But we told you.”

The second are those who believed that Buhari was actually a democracy-convert as claimed, who had purged himself of unbridled nepotism and could actually provide the leadership Nigeria sorely needed, despite his antecedents. I belong to this group.

Economic policies

I had just left secondary school when Buhari shot himself to power on December 31, 1983. At the time his colleagues dislodged him from his high perch on August 27, 1985, I was in the higher institution.

So, I knew firsthand what he did in the 20 months he was in office as a maximum military ruler.

His regime’s warped economic policies, particularly the curb on imports led to job losses and business closures. I witnessed the disingenuous introduction of a new currency supposedly to tackle corruption and the consequence. Prices rose, living standards fell, and Nigerians were queuing up for essential commodities.

I witnessed the retroactive application of a law under Buhari’s watch leading to the public execution of three young Nigerians convicted of drug peddling, a crime that did not carry a death penalty at the time it was committed.

But I believed him when he said he was a changed person. I convinced myself that he would put together a formidable team and provide the disciplined leadership that was sorely lacking in the preceding administration.

At 72, I reasoned that Buhari must have purged himself of every vestige of ultra-ethnic agenda, having fully come of age.

How wrong I was.

Some Nigerians are of the view that in spite of everything, President Buhari will be re-elected. In arriving at this conclusion, they deploy illogical reasoning and hackneyed permutations, ignoring the fact that unlike in 2015, Saturday’s election is a referendum on the Buhari presidency. Try as hard as APC is doing to put Jonathan on the ballot, truth is, he is not and cannot be.

Besides, the conditions that made the 2015 Buhari victory a fait accompli have changed dramatically.

In 2015, Jonathan’s candidature united the North behind Buhari. The support from the South West became an icing on his victory cake.

But even at that, Buhari won the presidential election with only 2.57 million votes, scoring 15,424,921 votes (53.95 percent) of the 28,587,564 total valid votes cast against Jonathan’s 12,853,162 (44.96 percent).

In 2015, Buhari received 2.4 million South West votes, with a plurality of 600,000 over Jonathan. Even in Lagos, with all the noise and the fabled Bola Tinubu factor, APC prevailed with only 160,000 votes.

In 2015, Jonathan ran on his records and failed because Nigerians didn’t think much of the scorecard he presented and Buhari ran on promises, propaganda and lies.

Now, that paradigm has shifted. After four years in office, Buhari will run this election not on promises, innuendoes and propaganda but on the record of his achievements in office.

The simple but important question that will agitate the minds of discerning, albeit ordinary, Nigerians as they cast their ballot on Saturday is: Am I better off today than I was four years ago?

Buhari lost the South East and South-South zones in 2015 when the crocodiles were not smiling and pythons were not dancing.

Things have changed dramatically since then. Today, pythons are busy exhibiting new and fatal dance steps in the South East every year with dire consequences for beleaguered youths of the region.

When Buhari won the presidency in 2015, the Shiites were part of the 15,424,921 that made the victory possible. Before the election, Kaduna State governor, Nasir el-Rufai, led Buhari to visit the leader of the group, Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky, at his Kaduna lair to seek support. He was obliged.

A lot has happened since then. In 2015, the Zaria massacre occurred during which 348 Shiites (some accounts put the number at over 1000) were killed by Nigerian soldiers and buried in mass graves. The dead included three children of Zakzaky. Since then, he has been locked up together with his wife even when the courts have granted them bail.

In April 2018, clashes broke out as the Nigeria Police fired teargas at Shiites protesters who were demanding the release of Zakzaky. The clashes left many dead and several others injured. The police detained at least 115 of the protesters. In October 2018, Nigerian military again killed at least 45 peaceful Shiites protesters.

Today, el-Rufai, the President’s Man Friday has exacerbated the distrust between Christians of Southern Kaduna and Muslims in the state.

Benue, a stronghold of the PDP had no IDP camps before 2015. They voted for Buhari, elected an APC governor. Today, thousands of indigenes live in IDP camps in Makurdi, afraid to go to their ancestral homes that have been taken over and effectively occupied by armed herdsmen.

In 2015, the ubiquitous and very powerful college of retired generals that have determined how the political pendulum swung since the first military coup of January 15, 1966 were in Buhari’s column.

Today, many of them, including Olusegun Obasanjo, Ibrahim Babangida, Theophilus Danjuma, Aliyu Gusau, are not.

And some people say it does not matter. Really?

In 2015, the all-powerful Lagos-Ibadan wing of the human and civil rights community were behind Buhari. Today, some of them, including Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, have distanced themselves from him

In 2015, some of the country’s most prolific and powerful columnists were with Buhari. Today, the likes of Farooq Kperogi, Sonala Olumhense and Dele Momodu have openly rebelled against him.

In 2015, the international community, particularly the U.S. under President Barack Obama’s watch and Britain with David Cameron as Prime Minister, overtly supported Buhari. I doubt if those countries are still queuing behind him today.

In 2015, Buhari contested against Jonathan, a Southern minority Christian with no political base. Today, he is running against one of the most formidable politicians in this dispensation, a man with a solid political base, clout and deep pocket, a Fulani Moslem, from a region – North East – that last held power when Alhaji Tafawa Balewa from Bauchi State was the Prime Minister in the First Republic.

In 2015, APC went into the elections as a united, pragmatic and determined party hungry for power, eager to make a resounding political statement against a highly fractious, disorganised and disoriented PDP. Today, the reverse is the case. A strong, rejuvenated and virile PDP is going into Saturday’s election with a highly fractured, hemorrhaging APC where some governors are not in talking terms with the national chairman, Adams Oshiomhole.

In 2015, it was the PDP presidential campaign convoys that were stoned, booed and jeered. Today, it is the APC. On Monday, President Buhari nearly took a stone meant for Oshiomhole at a campaign rally in Abeokuta.

Yet, some people insist that Buhari still has his fabled 11 million votes locked up somewhere.

PDP has been able to dramatically reinvent itself and stage a remarkable comeback, APC cannot because of its inherent contradictions.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/02/the-odds-against-buhari-on-saturday/

True talk
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by bunminikan(m): 9:15pm On Feb 14, 2019
You need to mention millions that lost their lived needlessly in the last three years. Those project has been their ....buhari inherited them. Kaduna- abuja railway was 95 % completed b4 buhari came. If you know the burden of debt buhari had put the nation into you will regrets supporting him. Fue pricel was increase on the propaganda that subsidy was removed.... Today oil marketers are owned billions unpaid subsidy. Tell kokoro lie to 180million Nigerians....guy, your no go school simple!

Despite Buhari administration earning 60% less yet he's come up with plenty projects such as

Our railways at itakpewarri, Lagos-ibadan, kaduna-abuja etc,

The production of low cost fertilizers,

Zik maoseleum

Baro inland port,

Rice mills,

Foreign reserve increase from #26b to #43b,

Construction of our express highways such as enuguonitsha, Lagos-ibadan etc.

Social policy schemes such as tradermoni, npower etc

And most especially, stabilizing us through this recession which happened because jonathan failed to save despite earning 60% more than Buhari coupled with the fall in the price of crude oil from #110 per barrel in 5 years under Jonathan to a paltry #50 per barrel under Buhari administration yet Buhari was able to keep us afloat while having many projects to his name thereby surprising Ngozi Iweala and Charles Soludo who predicted recession because jonathan failed to save during the time of plentiful.

Sai Baba. PDP, Neva again[/quote]
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by michoim(m): 9:16pm On Feb 14, 2019
There is no odds against Buhari on Saturday. ..this PDP writer should keep quiet

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Abagworo(m): 9:16pm On Feb 14, 2019
Vanguard is no longer a newspaper I value. They were involved in the media lies against Imo State and I hope they commit suicide along with useless loser Atiku after Saturday.

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by olajizz01(m): 9:17pm On Feb 14, 2019
ambale:
But you fail to balance your analysis by not giving credence to gains made by buhari government even as bad as Jonathan was termed it was never easy dislodging him
Very apt point.

Since 2015,I never underestimated incumbency power.

In 2015,I didn't think in my widest dream that jona could have 13m votes upon 4regions that against him vehemently unlike now that Buhari has 4regions to win

But these PDP supporters are dunces and mumus,they are just bunches of brainless noise makers.

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Ayanfeoluxyz(f): 9:20pm On Feb 14, 2019
NaijaRoyalty:

Pele ti e

I'm from Osun state and yes, Buhari and Tinubu were stoned in Ogun state APC rally .

Nigerians are more than willing to wrestle off the country from buhari led APC governement this Saturday .
ogbeni speak for yourself who are those Nigerians?
Here is the list of 34 reasons why according to pastor Sunday Sholaja thinks Buhari is not the reason Nigerians are suffering today:
1. The PDP got $1 trillion dollars from crude oil sales in 16 years and no visible change in the country.
Buhari got $97 billion in three and half years and turned the whole of Nigeria into a giant construction site.
2. It is the PDP that looted Nigeria into recession but Buhari pulled us out of recession in less than 12
months due to smart implementation of brilliant economic policies.
3. Compare Nigeria and Venezuela economy.
4. Thousands of Venezuelan citizens are crossing their land borders into Brazil because of economic hardship.
5. Another example is Cyprus and Greece.
6. The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) miracle.
7. Despite earning 1 trillion Dollars under PDP, Nigeria was still owing $6 Billion Dollars to multinational
oil partners leading to job losses. Buhari paid it back in two years.
8. The Nigeria Customs Service used to remit disgraceful amounts to the treasury. But now, it is projected
that it would remit between N1.5 trillion and N2 trillion Naira in 2018. In 2017, it remitted close to N1.4
trillion to the treasury.
9. The Nigeria Customs now remits about N2 trillion Naira to the treasury instead of about 50 Billion under
PDP.
10. The federal inland revenue service now remits around N4 trillion naira per year to the treasury unlike
before under GEJ when it used to remit N2 trillion.
11. The implementation of the treasury single account which was conceived by GEJ only started under Buhari
and over 4 trillion was accumulated in a year.
12. The implementation of the BVN by President Buhari eliminated 75K ghost workers from the civil service
thereby saving Nigeria N200 billion per year.
13. Unlike before when fuel scarcity was a recurring decimal, now under Buhari this problem has been nipped
in the bud.
14. The 3K MW Mambila Hydropower project which was conceived decades ago has now received counterpart
funding from the FG and it has been awarded to a Chinese construction firm for $5.7 billion. Most of the
funds for the project will come from the China Exim Bank.
15. Buhari has recovered looted funds of over N1 trillion looted under the PDP/GEJ’s 3-year administration
and these recoveries were factored into 2017 and 2018 budgets for the FG.
16. Buhari has been able to purchase over a billion-dollar worth of military hardware to fight terrorism.
17. Smuggling, armed robbery and brazen embezzlement of public funds have reduced drastically under
President Buhari.
18. Buhari took us from a one-product and oil-dependent economy to a diversified economy. From spending
billions of dollars on rice importation and from being the biggest rice-importing nation in the world to
becoming the biggest rice producer in Africa and the 6th largest in the world.
19. He is also putting billions of naira in the pockets of Nigerians directly via the rice related anchored
borrowers’ program which has created over 12 million jobs and over 4 million rice millionaire farmers.
20. Cash is paid directly to the poor via the conditional cash transfer of a non-refundable sum of N5k per
person per month under Buhari. 10k per person is being paid also under the TraderMoni program and this
amount can be scaled up to N100k if the beneficiaries pay back the loan.
21. Over 15m pupils are getting one meal a day with a drink and this has increased school enrolment.
22. Over 4,000 capital projects were included in the 2018 budget alone and Buhari is doing his best to
disburse to contractors despite the fact that Saraki reduced the funds for these 4,000 projects by N347b.
Buhari has so far spent over 2 trillion naira on roads, bridges, airports, primary health care etc. Instead of 18
Billion spent by Jonathan.
23. 500,000 previously unemployed graduates now have jobs under Buhari N-Power program.
24. Pensioners who were forgotten are now getting paid including ex-staffers of the Nigerian Airways 35
years later.
25. Also, ex-service men including those who served under Biafra got paid the gratuity that the FG had been
owing them since the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and their pension payments have been regular under Buhari.
26. Thousands of Nigerians who would have continued to die in roads the PDP did not fix for 16 years cannot
say Buhari has not made his impact felt considering the fact that over 500 federal roads are currently being
fixed by FERMA and the Federal Ministry of Works all under Buhari.
27. There is not one state in Nigeria today where the Federal Government is not executing at least one road
project.
28. Difficult or abandoned projects like the 2nd Niger Bridge have been brought back to life.
29. Sections of Ilorin-Jebba, Sokoto to Jeba, Sokoto-iletahave been completed. While progress of works
continues nationwide from Jada to Mayo Belwa, Enugu to Port Harcourt, Lagos to Shagamu, Benin to Okene,
Lokoja to Abuja, Kano to Maiduguri, Abuja – Kaduna, Kano to mention a few.
30. Millions of Nigerians will benefit from the dual carriage standard gauge rail lines scattered around the 6
geopolitical zones of Nigeria.
31. Thousands of artisans and graduates draw on loans of over N50b made available to them through the
bank of industry with only their University certificates serving as collateral.
32. Boko Haram used to control 26 local governments in Nigeria but now it controls none. . Paris Club refund
and Bail out to all the 36 States for 2 conservative times to the tune of $3B.
33. 20,000 Nigerians rescued from Boko Haram captivity including 100 Chibok girls and 100 Dapchi girls.
34. Jonathan met 64 billion dollars in the foreign reserves of Nigeria Depleted it to 29 billion despite
making 383 billion from oil alone. They spent the 383 billion in six year, borrowed 20billion dollars, then
went to the reserves to vandalize the reserves Today Buhari with three times less income has been able to
increase our foreign reserves to 43 billion, and still executing more projects on ground.
When I glanced through all these fact as compiled by pastor Sunday Adelaja, I couldn't agree less that it would be very difficult to wrestle power from buhari

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by oziamaka: 9:27pm On Feb 14, 2019
diadem10:
Lol. vanguard and their ragtag clannish reporters.

Despite Buhari administration earning 60% less yet he's come up with plenty projects such as

Our railways at itakpewarri, Lagos-ibadan, kaduna-abuja etc,

The production of low cost fertilizers,

Zik maoseleum

Baro inland port,

Rice mills,

Foreign reserve increase from #26b to #43b,

Construction of our express highways such as enuguonitsha, Lagos-ibadan etc.

Social policy schemes such as tradermoni, npower etc

And most especially, stabilizing us through this recession which happened because jonathan failed to save despite earning 60% more than Buhari coupled with the fall in the price of crude oil from #110 per barrel in 5 years under Jonathan to a paltry #50 per barrel under Buhari administration yet Buhari was able to keep us afloat while having many projects to his name thereby surprising Ngozi Iweala and Charles Soludo who predicted recession because jonathan failed to save during the time of plentiful.

Sai Baba. PDP, Neva again
aren't you ashamed yet? this your nonsense railway this npower that, trader vote buying. are these achievement? how many universities hospitals or health facilities, federal roads, power plants did your administration build? how does this crayfish list you posted translate to better living to the ordinary man in the street? what is the cost of 50kg rice today as compared to previous administration with your so-called agricultural revolutions? what is the cost other foodstuffs, provisions cosmetic and drugs? ordinary Lassa fever your administration couldn't manage, people died like chicken. thanks to God no case of ebola all through this hell of a 4 year, the populace would have been wiped out if ebola had surfaced. I learnt about the hell Nigerians passed through during his military era and here we are passing through the same ordeal. receive sense for once and be objective.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by greggng: 9:35pm On Feb 14, 2019
I am yet to see what pdp has done to deserve our vote....pdp is no option for any right thinking Nigeria....I would 've agreed with the writer assuming he is telling us to shun both pdp and apc and face a fresh party....here he is telling us how pdp has reinvented themselves to get to power with a view to looting us dry again....they wound and pain they caused us is still fresh

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by dipopooo(m): 9:35pm On Feb 14, 2019
NaijaRoyalty:

Pele ti e

I'm from Osun state and yes, Buhari and Tinubu were stoned in Ogun state APC rally .

Nigerians are more than willing to wrestle off the country from buhari led APC governement this Saturday .

Yimu... Why didn't you wrestle power from Aregbesola APC led administration?
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by chozzy: 9:35pm On Feb 14, 2019
Yankee101:
This guy has said it all

If this election is free and fair, it's not about if Buhari will lose, it's how to reduce the margin of the disgrace.

As una see Atiku quiet so, there are few politicians with his political acumen in Nigeria. He has kept and maintained an office of policy, research, philantrophy and business coordination since he left government. Even Buhari's spokesman, Garba Shehu, was borrowed from Atiku's team
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by oblaak(m): 9:38pm On Feb 14, 2019
bender79:
The frenzy out there is that APC will loose. However most polls conducted even by pdp sympathisers is showing a close call. The thing is if polls are too close in a developing democracy it gives an edge for the incumbent because of the advantages it has.

Have you seen oluomo poll?
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by otokx(m): 9:39pm On Feb 14, 2019
The sad truth is that social media is not a true reflection of the Nigerian situation. Let us all wait and see who wins the Saturday elections which should be ready by Tuesday. The looser should take it in good faith.

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Jman06(m): 9:43pm On Feb 14, 2019
If not that Buhari is wicked, the honourable thing for him to do is to quietly step down for Atiku to continue. That way we can forgive him his sins and retire him in peace.

But like the proverbial stubborn fly, he'll prefer to follow the corpse to the grave.

His defeat on Saturday is a sure bet.
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Winning123: 9:46pm On Feb 14, 2019
I wonder what you Igbos will do when Buhari roundly defeats Atiku

NaijaRoyalty:

Keep giving yourself false hope

Even buhari you're asslicking can't beat his chest confidently that he would win Atiku in a free and fair election the way you just did .

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by texazzpete(m): 9:49pm On Feb 14, 2019
In 2015, Buhari and the APC didn’t have federal might behind them and PDP had a crazy amount of money.
In 2019 The army, police et al are all led by men picked by Buhari. His aides have access to cash for voter influencing.

Buhari May well be weakened as a candidate, but there are still other factors in his favor.
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by otokx(m): 9:52pm On Feb 14, 2019
texazzpete:
In 2015, Buhari and the APC didn’t have federal might behind them and PDP had a crazy amount of money.
In 2019 The army, police et al are all led by men picked by Buhari. His aides have access to cash for voter influencing.

Buhari May well be weakened as a candidate, but there are still other factors in his favor.

Elections will be free, fair and credible.

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by yuvisan: 10:16pm On Feb 14, 2019
ayomilore:
Bro. Good analysis but I beg to disagree with your analysis.
On el zazaki any staunch Muslim will rather not vote at all than cast his votes for any other candidates apart from buhari. His diplomatic handling of herdsmen mayhem is a testimony to this. Come to Southwest and see how they are rigourously campaigning for buhari. I am a Christian but if you meet a good Muslim you will really fall for them they cherish honesty like anything which they believe buhari stands for.

Ottom re-election in Benue is shaky my brother. He failed woefully to manage the herdsmen crisis upon all the billions he get as security vote, this couple with his below average performance in terms of development will likely split the Benue vote though Atiku may still win but with a meagre margin.The crisis that rocked Katsina would have been worse than that of Benue but for the proactive measure deployed by Masari.
On the old rulers who have consistently held this country captive for long they are all toothless bulldog except for danjuma who for sometime now have been calling shot on whom become governor in his state. Obasanjo is jittery of his anoited candidate's defeat and his eventual probe when buhari wins again that is why he running up and down to discredit Buhari by all means but Nigerian are wiser and know better.
Las las in about 72 hours we shall know who is who in Nigeria politics.

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by yuvisan: 10:20pm On Feb 14, 2019
Yes o!
Only day dreamers will fail to realize that despperate Atiku
will be getting nowhere, by the Grace of God’s Love for Nigerians.
Our Divine Valentine Gift is #NEXT BETTER LEVEL, through Jesus Christ, God of Love. Amen

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by bender79: 1:04am On Feb 15, 2019
oblaak:

Have you seen oluomo poll?
I'm talking of scientific polls conducted not click "like" and "share" polls

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by daroz(m): 1:32am On Feb 15, 2019
Salvador1:
Even val msg buhari can't send to his supporters

Or does it mean val is corrupt grin

Lol grin[left][/left] grin
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by daroz(m): 1:34am On Feb 15, 2019
NaijaRoyalty:
By Ikechukwu Amaechi

LESS than 48 hours from now, Nigerians will elect a new president. There is, understandably, both excitement and anxiety in the air. Whichever way the election goes, its outcome will be consequential.

I am as excited as I was four years ago. This time in 2015, I had concluded that President Goodluck Jonathan was not fit for purpose and supported the then candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, General Muhammadu Buhari.

Today, I have also concluded just as I did four years ago that President Buhari is not fit for purpose and I am determined to ensure that as Jonathan was sent back to Otuoke, he is sent back to Daura.

There are two groups of Nigerians opposed to Buhari’s re-election.

The first are those who ab-initio never saw anything good in him; never believed in his capacity and who perceived him as a dyed-in-the-wool dictator and irredeemable ethnic jingoist. Such people are not disappointed at the unravelling of the Buhari presidency and the sentiment is more of: “But we told you.”

The second are those who believed that Buhari was actually a democracy-convert as claimed, who had purged himself of unbridled nepotism and could actually provide the leadership Nigeria sorely needed, despite his antecedents. I belong to this group.

Economic policies

I had just left secondary school when Buhari shot himself to power on December 31, 1983. At the time his colleagues dislodged him from his high perch on August 27, 1985, I was in the higher institution.

So, I knew firsthand what he did in the 20 months he was in office as a maximum military ruler.

His regime’s warped economic policies, particularly the curb on imports led to job losses and business closures. I witnessed the disingenuous introduction of a new currency supposedly to tackle corruption and the consequence. Prices rose, living standards fell, and Nigerians were queuing up for essential commodities.

I witnessed the retroactive application of a law under Buhari’s watch leading to the public execution of three young Nigerians convicted of drug peddling, a crime that did not carry a death penalty at the time it was committed.

But I believed him when he said he was a changed person. I convinced myself that he would put together a formidable team and provide the disciplined leadership that was sorely lacking in the preceding administration.

At 72, I reasoned that Buhari must have purged himself of every vestige of ultra-ethnic agenda, having fully come of age.

How wrong I was.

Some Nigerians are of the view that in spite of everything, President Buhari will be re-elected. In arriving at this conclusion, they deploy illogical reasoning and hackneyed permutations, ignoring the fact that unlike in 2015, Saturday’s election is a referendum on the Buhari presidency. Try as hard as APC is doing to put Jonathan on the ballot, truth is, he is not and cannot be.

Besides, the conditions that made the 2015 Buhari victory a fait accompli have changed dramatically.

In 2015, Jonathan’s candidature united the North behind Buhari. The support from the South West became an icing on his victory cake.

But even at that, Buhari won the presidential election with only 2.57 million votes, scoring 15,424,921 votes (53.95 percent) of the 28,587,564 total valid votes cast against Jonathan’s 12,853,162 (44.96 percent).

In 2015, Buhari received 2.4 million South West votes, with a plurality of 600,000 over Jonathan. Even in Lagos, with all the noise and the fabled Bola Tinubu factor, APC prevailed with only 160,000 votes.

In 2015, Jonathan ran on his records and failed because Nigerians didn’t think much of the scorecard he presented and Buhari ran on promises, propaganda and lies.

Now, that paradigm has shifted. After four years in office, Buhari will run this election not on promises, innuendoes and propaganda but on the record of his achievements in office.

The simple but important question that will agitate the minds of discerning, albeit ordinary, Nigerians as they cast their ballot on Saturday is: Am I better off today than I was four years ago?

Buhari lost the South East and South-South zones in 2015 when the crocodiles were not smiling and pythons were not dancing.

Things have changed dramatically since then. Today, pythons are busy exhibiting new and fatal dance steps in the South East every year with dire consequences for beleaguered youths of the region.

When Buhari won the presidency in 2015, the Shiites were part of the 15,424,921 that made the victory possible. Before the election, Kaduna State governor, Nasir el-Rufai, led Buhari to visit the leader of the group, Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky, at his Kaduna lair to seek support. He was obliged.

A lot has happened since then. In 2015, the Zaria massacre occurred during which 348 Shiites (some accounts put the number at over 1000) were killed by Nigerian soldiers and buried in mass graves. The dead included three children of Zakzaky. Since then, he has been locked up together with his wife even when the courts have granted them bail.

In April 2018, clashes broke out as the Nigeria Police fired teargas at Shiites protesters who were demanding the release of Zakzaky. The clashes left many dead and several others injured. The police detained at least 115 of the protesters. In October 2018, Nigerian military again killed at least 45 peaceful Shiites protesters.

Today, el-Rufai, the President’s Man Friday has exacerbated the distrust between Christians of Southern Kaduna and Muslims in the state.

Benue, a stronghold of the PDP had no IDP camps before 2015. They voted for Buhari, elected an APC governor. Today, thousands of indigenes live in IDP camps in Makurdi, afraid to go to their ancestral homes that have been taken over and effectively occupied by armed herdsmen.

In 2015, the ubiquitous and very powerful college of retired generals that have determined how the political pendulum swung since the first military coup of January 15, 1966 were in Buhari’s column.

Today, many of them, including Olusegun Obasanjo, Ibrahim Babangida, Theophilus Danjuma, Aliyu Gusau, are not.

And some people say it does not matter. Really?

In 2015, the all-powerful Lagos-Ibadan wing of the human and civil rights community were behind Buhari. Today, some of them, including Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, have distanced themselves from him

In 2015, some of the country’s most prolific and powerful columnists were with Buhari. Today, the likes of Farooq Kperogi, Sonala Olumhense and Dele Momodu have openly rebelled against him.

In 2015, the international community, particularly the U.S. under President Barack Obama’s watch and Britain with David Cameron as Prime Minister, overtly supported Buhari. I doubt if those countries are still queuing behind him today.

In 2015, Buhari contested against Jonathan, a Southern minority Christian with no political base. Today, he is running against one of the most formidable politicians in this dispensation, a man with a solid political base, clout and deep pocket, a Fulani Moslem, from a region – North East – that last held power when Alhaji Tafawa Balewa from Bauchi State was the Prime Minister in the First Republic.

In 2015, APC went into the elections as a united, pragmatic and determined party hungry for power, eager to make a resounding political statement against a highly fractious, disorganised and disoriented PDP. Today, the reverse is the case. A strong, rejuvenated and virile PDP is going into Saturday’s election with a highly fractured, hemorrhaging APC where some governors are not in talking terms with the national chairman, Adams Oshiomhole.

In 2015, it was the PDP presidential campaign convoys that were stoned, booed and jeered. Today, it is the APC. On Monday, President Buhari nearly took a stone meant for Oshiomhole at a campaign rally in Abeokuta.

Yet, some people insist that Buhari still has his fabled 11 million votes locked up somewhere.

PDP has been able to dramatically reinvent itself and stage a remarkable comeback, APC cannot because of its inherent contradictions.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/02/the-odds-against-buhari-on-saturday/

Very good analysis, I 100% agree with u

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Codyt(m): 1:52am On Feb 15, 2019
ambale:
But you fail to balance your analysis by not giving credence to gains made by buhari government even as bad as Jonathan was termed it was never easy dislodging him
We don't wanna know that.
Forward ever angry
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by africanusvu(m): 5:22am On Feb 15, 2019
Yes we kn
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by africanusvu(m): 5:24am On Feb 15, 2019
Yes we knw but wat abt rigging. Without it bubu is gone

1 Like

Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Amumaigwe: 6:06am On Feb 15, 2019
ayomilore:
Bro. Good analysis but I beg to disagree with your analysis.
On el zazaki any staunch Muslim will rather not vote at all than cast his votes for any other candidates apart from buhari. His diplomatic handling of herdsmen mayhem is a testimony to this. Come to Southwest and see how they are rigourously campaigning for buhari. I am a Christian but if you meet a good Muslim you will really fall for them they cherish honesty like anything which they believe buhari stands for.

Ottom re-election in Benue is shaky my brother. He failed woefully to manage the herdsmen crisis upon all the billions he get as security vote, this couple with his below average performance in terms of development will likely split the Benue vote though Atiku may still win but with a meagre margin.The crisis that rocked Katsina would have been worse than that of Benue but for the proactive measure deployed by Masari.
On the old rulers who have consistently held this country captive for long they are all toothless bulldog except for danjuma who for sometime now have been calling shot on whom become governor in his state. Obasanjo is jittery of his anoited candidate's defeat and his eventual probe when buhari wins again that is why he running up and down to discredit Buhari by all means but Nigerian are wiser and know better.
Las las in about 72 hours we shall know who is who in Nigeria politics.

You reason like a real shit-brained Yoruba. Ortom should have converted his security votes to a fighting army, abi. You forgot the whole Fulani dominated security apparatchik abandoned him because of his stance on the anti-grazing law.
Re: The Odds Against Buhari On Saturday - Vanguard by Amumaigwe: 6:14am On Feb 15, 2019
Oshigun:

Yeah. Whatever. Not long to wait anyway. APC will win comfortably. Not everyone is sentimental and dismissive of reality on the ground. If you personally despise Buhari, you think this holds true for all other Nigerians? Saturday will be a big lesson for you guys about grassroot politicking.
Just hope some of you don't suffer stress-induced hospital visit after Atiku is banished.

You sound as one who will take his own life when Buhari looses. Take it easy o. Buhari has added no direct value to your life nor anyone's ; he also has no plan to hand power over to SW in 2023.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Brave Taxi Driver Arrested For Reporting Suicide Bomber In Maiduguri / Senator Shehu Sani Visits Buhari In Daura(photos) / Igbo Kwenu Sanwo-Olu Campaign Posters Surface In Lagos (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.