Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? (2726 Views)

Babatunde Babajide: Even While Fasting, I Read A Minimum Of 8 Hours A Day / Maduafokwa Agnes Egoagwuagwu 365 JAMB Score: Highest In 2020 / Please Help I No Longer Understand Things If I Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Nobody: 11:56am On Feb 14, 2019
Hello everyone, I'm a university student in 200lvl elect engineering, and I have recently decided to read 8 hours everyday for the rest of my life (I started 2 weeks ago, and I've been doing just fine, albeit some days I feel tentative to read when I ask myself "What do I have to gain from this"

I combine both school work (5 hours) and general knowledge (like reading self-help books, books on historical and monumental events like the Renaissance period e.t.c for the remaining 3 hours).

I've thought on reducing this to 3 hours daily for all my readings, perhaps.

Am I missing out on anything in life? Or on the right path?
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Josephjnr(m): 12:00pm On Feb 14, 2019
I've heard that most intelligent people read 4hrs a day... In my opinion,8hrs is too much.

3 Likes

Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by aaaaabbbbbccccc: 12:04pm On Feb 14, 2019
The question is what do you stand to gain from reading 8hrs everyday? Are you trying to learn a skill or you just want to be knowledgeable? If your intention is to have a skill that will ultimately enrich you then you’re on the right part but if it’s for knowledge sake you’re probably wasting your time. Besides reading isn’t the only way to gain knowledge, you can watch YouTube videos and practise whatever you want to learn. Don’t just gain knowledge for knowledge sake, you’ll die frustrated. Money moves the world.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by dguyindcorner(m): 12:23pm On Feb 14, 2019
Durentt:
Hello everyone, I'm a university student in 200lvl elect engineering, and I have recently decided to read 8 hours everyday for the rest of my life (I started 2 weeks ago, and I've been doing just fine, albeit some days I feel tentative to read when I ask myself "What do I have to gain from this"

I combine both school work (5 hours) and general knowledge (like reading self-help books, books on historical and monumental events like the Renaissance period e.t.c for the remaining 3 hours).

You will gain nothing if you don't apply what you read.

1 Like

Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 14, 2019
Durentt:

pls let's do it together...I just sent you a mail...am a fresher in another branch of engineering..reading is bae.

1 Like

Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Hahjascho(m): 2:47pm On Feb 14, 2019
If your reading is based on personal development books or any book that is productive then you are on the right part....and if you consistently apply what you read I'm afraid you stand the chance to control people around you anywhere- anytime

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by jzamani(m): 3:00pm On Feb 14, 2019
reading is goo d but you go tire one day, talking from experience.�
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Tohsynetita1: 9:36pm On Feb 14, 2019
jzamani:
reading is goo d but you go tire one day, talking from experience.�
someone you don't know, how will you tell if him or her go tire. Bros you can be reading daily if you like it,but that 8 hours is too much, because soon you may not think like normal human being anymore.
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by ISISs(m): 9:41pm On Feb 14, 2019
aaaaabbbbbccccc:
The question is what do you stand to gain from reading 8hrs everyday? Are you trying to learn a skill or you just want to be knowledgeable? If your intention is to have a skill that will ultimately enrich you then you’re on the right part but if it’s for knowledge sake you’re probably wasting your time. Besides reading isn’t the only way to gain knowledge, you can watch YouTube videos and practise whatever you want to learn. Don’t just gain knowledge for knowledge sake, you’ll die frustrated. Money moves the world.

Bro, I go with this.
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by ISISs(m): 9:41pm On Feb 14, 2019
Tohsynetita1:
someone you don't know, how will you tell if him or her go tire. Bros you can be reading daily if you like it,but that 8 hours is too much, because soon you may not think like normal human being anymore.
grin
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by ISISs(m): 9:47pm On Feb 14, 2019
This is nice, but then again you ask ur self, wats ur aim of reading this lengthy?

Is it for
Knowledge
Skill
Or for reading sake...

As for me, if it's not for money, then I'm out.
I love the celeb life, entertainment and all...

Sincerely bro, the times of the nerds has past.
I am not discouraging u anyway.. It is a good thing but then... grin
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by ISISs(m): 9:49pm On Feb 14, 2019
If ur aim is to become a first class guru in elect elect.
Then I strongly endorse it, buh bro, reduce it to at most 4hours everyday.

My OneCent.
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Starfx(m): 12:31am On Feb 15, 2019
ISISs:
If ur aim is to become a first class guru in elect elect.
Then I strongly endorse it, buh bro, reduce it to at most 4hours everyday.

My OneCent.

Isis, do you think that 8hrs is too much for guys studying medicine and surgery.. If yes, what do u think is the ideal amount of time.. All things kept constant
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Shinyissy(m): 1:29am On Feb 15, 2019
You are either going on a mission,burning with a passion or running for a vision...these are the 3 keys of life,don't let anyone discourage you bro!...I strongly advise you keep it up but set a specific time and be consistent.. There is no limit to what you can achieve "shun ear says"!!

1 Like

Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by femi4: 6:44am On Feb 15, 2019
Durentt:

You need more of exposure for your field. Have you seen a switch gear or transformer oil before apart from the textbooks
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Nobody: 6:45am On Feb 15, 2019
I wrote ICAN last year.
Was reading more than 10hours daily. The problem now is that I think something is wrong with me upstairs cos I have to read something more than once to even remember it undecided
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by ISISs(m): 8:41am On Feb 15, 2019
Starfx:

Isis, do you think that 8hrs is too much for guys studying medicine and surgery.. If yes, what do u think is the ideal amount of time.. All things kept constant
I don't think there should be a fixed hour or time for anyone to read. It should depend on the persons ability and the duration to which he/she understands till he gets saturated.. (By saturation, I mean when he/she gets tired)

But in medicine and it's art, it is advisable u read everyday, AT LEAST two hours.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by temmypotter(m): 10:13am On Feb 15, 2019
oghenerobo91:
I wrote ICAN last year.
Was reading more than 10hours daily. The problem now is that I think something is wrong with me upstairs cos I have to read something more than once to even remember it undecided

10 what? how can you focus and actively read for the entire 10hours?

In comparison with other assessment tests, just how difficult is this Ican?

Even GMAT recommends 80hours before taking the test, ideally 10hours per week for 8 weeks.
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Nobody: 11:07am On Feb 15, 2019
temmypotter:

Even GMAT recommends 80hours before taking the test, ideally 10hours per week for 8 weeks.
ICAN is difficult and not for average students.
I think I read too much, and u know, too much of everything is bad
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by TheManofTomorrow(m): 7:00pm On Feb 15, 2019
temmypotter:

Which test?
I'm interested in it.
BTW, have you any GMAT Book in PDF ?
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by majorgr: 8:41pm On Feb 15, 2019
pls do and let us know the outcome. I think this is a very good case study for research. You final outcome will give us enough data to understand if 8 hrs a day can increase and improve the brain capacity within a stipulated amount of time. according to psychologist, reading or learning constantly expand the brain.
Psychologist in the house, this is a good research theme.
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 15, 2019
majorgr:
pls do and let us know the outcome. I think this is a very good case study for research. You final outcome will give us enough data to understand if 8 hrs a day can increase and improve the brain capacity within a stipulated amount of time. according to psychologist, reading or learning constantly expand the brain.
Psychologist in the house, this is a good research theme.
I started two weeks earlier and I feel as though the entire world knowledge is in my head. My spellings, vocabulary, and writing skills have improved remarkably. I now spell 'repetition' not 'repitition', 'Enmity' not 'Enemity', 'generosity' not 'generousity', necessary' not 'neccessary', 'messenger' not 'messanger'.

I also notice I find seclusion in reading, the world is stressful, why not read it away?

The only downsides? Really sore eyes at the end of the day. They are hollow, literally and metaphorically.

1 Like

Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by majorgr: 8:53pm On Feb 15, 2019
Durentt:
I started two weeks earlier and I feel as though the entire world's knowledge is in my head, figuratively. My spellings, vocabulary, and writing skills have improved remarkably. I now spell 'repetition' not 'repitition', 'Enmity' not 'Enemity', 'generosity' not 'generousity', necessary' not 'neccessary', 'messenger' not 'messanger'.

I also notice I find seclusion in reading, the world is stressful, why not read it away?

The only downsides? Really sore eyes at the end of the day. They are hollow, literally and metaphorically.

quite an improvement, i hope your cgpa constantly improves... i remember back in the days i was the dumbest in my house, but as i purposed to constantly read, I graduated as one of the best, i realized that even reading other self help books constantly improved my capacity to read and understand academic materials quickly even better than my colleague

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Starfx(m): 10:38am On Feb 16, 2019
ISISs:

I don't think there should be a fixed hour or time for anyone to read. It should depend on the persons ability and the duration to which he/she understands till he gets saturated.. (By saturation, I mean when he/she gets tired)

But in medicine and it's art, it is advisable u read everyday, AT LEAST two hours.

Epic.. 1000 likes for this

Team Mbbs

1 Like

Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by LordKingsley: 12:36pm On Feb 16, 2019
This step you're taking is highly commendable and profitable especially on the long run. I don't really have much of an opinion on this, as to whether it is good ( in respect of you evolving and garnering incredible bulks of useful knowledge) or whether it's bad ( putting yourself through such mental, physical and psychological strain, not to mention the 'life' you'd be missing out on ).

But this I know, you can never know enough. Reading at such pace on daily basis holds the ebullient promise of transforming you as a person in many aspects of life as possible, depending on your bibliographic diet. You might also want to consider making adjustments to the study duration, "na only book you dey read".

A medical aspirant I am, I had once tried to keep to such reading schedule, because I believed it was going to be of immense benefit to me in medical school. After the first two tries, nobody advised me, I told myself the truth. What this means is that not every body can handle such extensive hours of study, we are, each one of us composed of different elements. So if you feel naturally inclined to such strains, carry go, just ensure that reading doesn't take your life away from you.
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Itzneowizy(m): 2:09pm On Feb 16, 2019
Firs of all...its not going to be possible consecutively at least not for someone like me tho.... But iff you're going to do it for some days...then don't do it at a stretch... Break it....do i it at intervals
Second... If you're after knowledge in general...of anything even outside your academic field.... It's Okay.....funny enough some persons actually read for these length of hours...but u wouldn't know....You'll always see them with books....they can just decide to read something while in a bus..or waiting for someone in a park of else where...etc these few seconds , minutes count for something....If you're after grades.....then 4hrs qt intervals too is okay.....start reading and preparing for exam on time...and be consistent.. Then read until you attain MASTERY...most student stop at the level of understanding...But fail to attain MASTERY....

All in all my advice is for u to endorse...Smart work....not just hard work...i like brain storming... mix your reading..read things that'll develop you IQ...Brain storm.. So u wouldn't end up being restricted in knowledge..work on improving your IQ memory wise, analytical wise etc. To keep up the spirit....LEARN TO REWARD YOUR SELF when u get something difficult right or achieve a major breakthrough

SO YOU WON'T MISS OUT IN LIFE......

learn to program and play games grin grin...it's good... Only don't develop an addiction

1 Like

Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by princealexndre(m): 2:48pm On Feb 16, 2019
Reading 8 hours in a day is A little too much, but it is possible and Good, But you will be losing it on other aspect of life, you can do 2-3 hours and still be better than someone that Read a whole Day. Smartness comes from the Mind.
Re: How Would My Life Change If I Read 8 Hours Everyday For The Next 365 Days? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Feb 19, 2019
Electricboy:

pls let's do it together...I just sent you a mail...am a fresher in another branch of engineering..reading is bae.
I'm sorry, my mail is not functional right now

(1) (Reply)

This 14 Interesting Facts About Farts Will Amaze You. / WAEC 2020 TIMETABLE AND DATE IS OFFICIALLY OUT. / Did you know that the height of Mount Everest changed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.