Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,763 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:42 AM

Should We Support Nairaland Financially? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Should We Support Nairaland Financially? (1502 Views)

Help Me Financially To Startup A Business / 6 Reasons Why You Will Never Become Financially Free / The Only Thing That Will Make You Financially Free In 2011. Guaranteed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by sbucareer(f): 7:35pm On Jan 12, 2006
I know this question will spiral into a debate. I am not saying or suggesting anything. I simply commend the dedication the host has put into this site both in availability and modulating the forum. I think he deserves a reword financially. What do you think?
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by layi(m): 7:43pm On Jan 12, 2006
Nice idea. I don't support turning it into a paid site especially because of the kids on the land.

Those of us who are well-to-do can also support financially. Nothing wrong in that.
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by sbucareer(f): 8:01pm On Jan 12, 2006
And, if a personal donation should be made to nairaland, how? I would recommend paypal. The names of donor placed on the forum with the highest donor at the top and least at the bottom with no reference to how much was donated.

I would also recommend a price or some sort of recognition for top donors? I hope it will encourage people. Mind you this is a fantastic website and a way for we Nigerians home and in diaspora to communicate
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by IAH(f): 8:03pm On Jan 12, 2006
It's good but I know some people that if they donate and Seun deletes a single alphabet from their posts, they will start bragging about their financial donation. undecided shocked
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by sbucareer(f): 8:11pm On Jan 12, 2006
I am thinking this, maybe Senu should create a private portal for paid users to have exclusive access to those portals. Maybe we should vote for it. I don't know what the portal shoul/would contain but it would be for paid users. This way we can help him maintain the long live of this site.

And again, how much do you think he should charge for this private portals?
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by Seun(m): 8:38pm On Jan 12, 2006
Hello Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions (including the illegal one that I had to delete). The best way to help Nairaland is to reduce my workload by following the rules. The second way is to suggest someone I can employ to take over from me as a full time admin/moderator of this site on a modest salary. That would be a way forward.

I recognize that the democratic tendencies of any community which people are starting to see as a 'home' clashes with the autocratic style that one would follow if the forum is considered as a business (which it is), but I have not been able to create any middle ground.

Anyway, I want to employ someone that would do 90% of what I've been doing on the site. How do I go about that?

Seun.
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by oasis: 10:56pm On Jan 16, 2006
Would you pay $1 a year membership fee toward the upkeep of this forum?
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by sbucareer(f): 8:42pm On Jan 17, 2006
For me Oasis, you should know the answer ... cheesy
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by oasis: 1:42am On Jan 18, 2006
Given the deafening silence, does that mean nobody is up for the $1 year idea?  That is certainly affordable.

There are other ways Seun could monetized the site:

1. Sell text adds.  I volunteer to write the code if this forum is powered by php.  If not, you can grab javascript code on the net, and manually set things up.
2. Sell amazon books/music/movies related to Nigeria.
3. Sell rotating banner ads.
4. Join google adsense, or yahoo ad network.

I agree with the comment about people becoming grumpy if they voluntarily contribute, and their post is ever deleted.  But with the advertising idea above, the site won't be beholden to anybody.

As far as paying somebody to manage to site, applications should already be rolling in.
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by nuggard(m): 3:00pm On Apr 11, 2006
THis was what sparked off my katakata for seun. I was overwhlemed when I saw the ad for employement as moderator .I immediately changed my signature to New Administrator. B4 i could say kpomo seun wrote when pigs fly by my siggy. Now I am banned but I prefer my other User name. Seun can you please change it .
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by Seun(m): 3:18pm On Apr 11, 2006
What is your other username?
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by nuggard(m): 11:15am On Apr 13, 2006
the evil Hand of the moderator shocked

Will you promise to unban me?I promise to be a good student.
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by toshmann(m): 9:40pm On Apr 13, 2006
good idea to financially support seun,

can i be the treasurer grin
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:43pm On Apr 13, 2006
n i da assistant cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by babymine(f): 11:11am On Apr 14, 2006
O Y O!! On Your Own!! grin grin grin
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by Consultant(f): 3:30pm On Apr 14, 2006
I would be very surprised if Seun was working full time, moderating this site and is even willing to pay someone to do it, out of the goodness of his heart. He's making money all right, he's just not telling us how. wink
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by Seun(m): 3:38pm On Apr 14, 2006
What I make is not "a ton' of money, but it's acceptable for someone who lives in Nigeria. I even get to save because I save money by living with my folks and eating their money food.
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by Mongue(m): 11:48am On Apr 15, 2006
I think that one of Seun's biggest asset will soon be his email database.

As this contiues to grow I'm sure you can use it as a selling point to companies who want to target a Nigerian audience. If you can get people to give as much info as possible you will have a very valuable marketing tool which you can sell to the big companies.

I used to work for an internet site in the UK and that was the key to our success. If you have 20,000 Nigerian subscribers who are between 20 - 30 you can go to someone like GLO and say sponsor an email campaign to these people for N20,000 a day.

As the numbers grow and the info you have increases the more you can charge. This time next year you'll be a millionaire!
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by sbucareer(f): 8:57pm On Apr 15, 2006

But I think we already knew that? Anybody wanting to make money should know that power of marketing. The question is, should we support him financially?

If he becomes successful, he would create jobs and employment and that is down to our support. He has the balls to venture in the news group business and I see a bright future for him.

Whether he make one million a day or not, should we support him to grow quicker? I know if he does, he will provide jobs and help cut down on our unemployment issues in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by nuggard(m): 9:14am On Apr 17, 2006
Sorry sbucareer, But i didn't see Seun write that. He is a capitalist grin.and might even want to leave Nija for greener pasture. Me I am a Communist.Red China! cheesy
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by sbucareer(f): 9:54am On Apr 17, 2006

Communism, is not really a good practice of a system of government. It breads corruptions and central power, and state power. It discourages free market and personal development. Why on earth would you want to be involved in a communist party.

This is the dawn of new Millennium, new ideas, bright and intelligent people with great ideas, and you want to suppress it with your communist idea, nah!.

May be you are one of those people that still believe that women should not go to school and vote. They should be house wife and have children and satisfy the men sexually? Well I am sorry to disappoint you that those days has come and gone and women has equal power even more than we, at least in UK they do.

So, my brother communist has come and gone with it disadvantages it brought with it.

Capitalist is the future will remain for sometime, till someone comes up with a better system of government module. Sorry to disappoint you man. You should not be thinking of communism. Look at what communism has done to our country, Nigeria. You may not know, the people in power today are bloody communist. Nigeria belongs to only one man, the president that presides at the seat of the presidency and bark orders from there.

Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by nuggard(m): 10:29am On Apr 17, 2006
Capitalist Demagogue.
why do people berate communism just because it failed. Where there is a will there is a way,how far has capitalism helped Nigeria or other African countries. Arguably most of us don't even have a system of Government.

where was China a few years back and where are they today.Ideas change people.
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by sbucareer(f): 1:43pm On Apr 17, 2006

nuggard, I like you ideas about communism, but the truth is that if China tell you what they did to get to the position they are today, you would not believe it. They imprison anybody who did not believe in the reform (Communist) without trial. Shoot and cut off people arms and legs to the opposition to the ruling power.

Well, they might have gotten it right. What would have happened if they got it wrong? Their economy is booming and their GDP could be compared with the West. But the West did not cut peoples legs and arms to get to where they are today. It was slow and steady. You could argue imperialism, but the truth is that communist is another military rule.

You cannot take one good communist state and compare to bunch of good capitalist states.

Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by SIBLI06(m): 3:47pm On Apr 18, 2006
Did this thread originate from a genuine user of Nairaland? Think about it!!

(Just come back to work after a week of sickness so if i've missed something re Seun or Nairaland please forgive me, is there a new moderator??)

My opinion - Why on earth should we support the forum financially? Do you think it is a hobby for Seun? By being here alone and populating the forum Seun is receiving money (Seun any comment?). No doupt there will be a increase of adverts on the site soon when Seun has sorted his act out with his affiliate programs. Seun has the ability to make this site No1 Forum in Nigeria (It could be allready but it time it will be a huge hit for the owner) with the help of us. So no need to pay!! When Seun starts cashing-up do you think he will reward us

Keep up the good work Seun - *********Pay to be a member of Nairaland = Few Members!!!*************
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by my2cents(m): 8:04pm On May 01, 2006
In my opinion, the minute money is charged (as opposed to donated):

- Pple would leave in droves - We are just too addicted to it as is and there are pple who don't like change.

- Nwoke/Seun/any other name grin would have to provide some kind of service to justify the charge

I would b in favor of a voluntary donor system. Sure, if he wants to recognize donors, especially as a way to encourage others, that's fine with me.

As for hiring someone, if we are going with donations, then the person should volunteer to help. It shouldn't be paid. If the person insists, then it shouldn't be much as I don't think Nairaland will get enough donations to justify a decent salary, whatever that may be.

Nwoke, I troway salute o! It's like you don't sleep. I have "tempted" you by being on at different times of the day and somehow, it seems your (or a bot impersonation grin) is on.

If it ever becomes a burden, I would definitely suggest selling the site. You are very talented and I bet with the money you make from the sale, you can direct your energy elsewhere. Worst-case, you could still be in an advisory role for the buyers.

as always, that's my 2 cents
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by Seun(m): 8:24pm On May 01, 2006
Thanks for your support, guys. It's great to know that if we're in a pinch tommorrow there are those who would be willing to help financially. Fortunately for now the best you can do is just to respect the rules.
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by duua: 4:50pm On Jan 20, 2007
Hi seun my name is daniel,wel i have been going tru ur sit for some time now but not to long and i have been learning n i will like to say thank you cuz the best gift u could ever give any one is knowledge.
Please i will like to know what the requirements for the admin/moderator position are. Thanks n keep up the good work.
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by duua: 4:52pm On Jan 20, 2007
Hi seun my name is daniel,wel i have been going tru ur sit for some time now but not to long and i have been learning n i will like to say thank you cuz the best gift u could ever give any one is knowledge.
Please i will like to know what the requirements for the admin/moderator position are. Thanks n keep up the good work.
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by anabell(f): 8:40pm On Apr 26, 2007
i am in favor of d donation.I must commend Seun 4 his great work ,its just dat he got me abit upset in his last admin message to me.That aside i am in 4 d donation,when u guys reach a decision let me no about it.
Re: Should We Support Nairaland Financially? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 27, 2007
@mongue
and i hope he is notusing it ,cos am now recieving nigerian spam ads.
but thank heavens am using an anti-spam email (Not yahoo) grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Ibb Nigeria's Market Goat / HAPPY NEW Month!!!say Ur Shoutout To Your Nairaland Friends / How Can One Download Pictures From This Site To Phone Using Opera Mini.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.