Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Figures Of Speech - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Figures Of Speech (948 Views)

Lists Of Figures Of Speech 1 / How Many Figures Of Speech Can You Get Out Of This Picture?? / How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Figures Of Speech by TEE099(m): 4:16pm On Feb 15, 2019
Hello Literature geeks, please I'm stuck with some figures of speech in here! Really contemplating what figure of speech the following belong to, mostly stuck between two options, help please. All opinions are welcomed till we reach a conclusion!

"I just lay there motionless, booting slowly like an old computer."

"I was hit by a blinding sunlight streaking through the space between my curtains,"

"the TV refused to yield, looking black and dead like those television sets in saw in Aba market."

Anticipating our responses earnestly!
Re: Figures Of Speech by TEE099(m): 6:01pm On Feb 15, 2019
Still Waiting
Re: Figures Of Speech by Eponymous: 8:01am On Feb 16, 2019
TEE099:
Hello Literature geeks, please I'm stuck with some figures of speech in here! Really contemplating what figure of speech the following belong to, mostly stuck between two options, help please. All opinions are welcomed till we reach a conclusion!

"I just lay there motionless, booting slowly like an old computer." - chremamorphism

"I was hit by a blinding sunlight streaking through the space between my curtains,"

"the TV refused to yield, looking black and dead like those television sets in saw in Aba market." - simile

Anticipating our responses earnestly!
Re: Figures Of Speech by TEE099(m): 12:44pm On Feb 16, 2019
Eponymous:
WOW Okay thanks. I'm anticipating the response of others too!
Re: Figures Of Speech by Lovintus2(m): 4:12pm On Feb 17, 2019
The first line contains SIMILE because it compares your lying down to that of an old computer using the word 'like'

The second line contains PERSONIFICATION because it gives the human attribute of 'hit and blinding' to a sunlight which is non human.

The third line contains PERSONIFICATION (TV refused to yield...) And not Simile as stated here because those two things compared are of the same nature.(TV and Television set are the same)

NOTE: In the use of Simile, the two things compared must be of different nature.
Re: Figures Of Speech by TEE099(m): 6:16pm On Feb 17, 2019
Lovintus2:
The first line contains SIMILE because it compares your lying down to that of an old computer using the word 'like'

The second line contains PERSONIFICATION because it gives the human attribute of 'hit and blinding' to a sunlight which is non human.

The third line contains PERSONIFICATION (TV refused to yield) And not Simile as stated here because those two things compared are of the same nature(TV and Television set are the same)

NB: In the use of Simile, the two things compared must be of different nature.
WOW Lovintus2, you really nailed the last point on target. Just confirmed that now, figures of speech are is really confusing, simile comparison must indeed between two things of different nature! The first line though should be chremamorphism which I'd not heard before this post, an human being said to boot (the word for computer) is given a human the character of an object which is the definition of chremamorphism. Any counter explanation is welcomed
Re: Figures Of Speech by TEE099(m): 6:20pm On Feb 17, 2019
Lovintus2 and Eponymous
I think I'm convinced about the second one as PERSONIFICATION too! Since it says it as if the sunlight performed the act of the 'hitting,' that 'hit' word seem to explain it. 'Blinding' describes the intensity of the sunlight but the 'hitting' makes it look like an act performed by the sunlight, more like when I decide to hit you with a book.
Re: Figures Of Speech by Eponymous: 6:42pm On Feb 17, 2019
I agree with Lovintus in all except the first one
Re: Figures Of Speech by TEE099(m): 7:47pm On Feb 17, 2019
Eponymous:
I agree with Lovintus in all except the first one
Yeah, I've explained quite well already concerning chremamorphism which you mentioned yesterday. I've checked online concerning it.

(1) (Reply)

A Song Of Ice And Fire / Exposed: Beware Of This Faceless Bloggger. Dailynews A Scammer? / Gifted Hands..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.