Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,931 members, 7,835,109 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

2019 General Elections: Nigerians Priorities By Tourshaw - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019 General Elections: Nigerians Priorities By Tourshaw (223 Views)

2023 Elections: Nigerians Will Rejoice, Says Kumuyi / "We Are Concerned With 2019 General Elections" - APC To Defectors / 2019 General Elections Will Cost N242.4bn - Buhari Tells National Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2019 General Elections: Nigerians Priorities By Tourshaw by Tourshaw: 8:56pm On Feb 15, 2019
Few months ago, I was approached by a friend of mine who is a good follower and admirer of my 'imperfect' writes and told me that he would be expecting me to write something about the forthcoming general elections. This among other reasons, is why I see the need to write this piece.

Let me begin by saying this piece will feature some of the quotes of some important political personalities in the country and to the country. This does not have anything to do with political preference or inclination whatsoever. I chose them because they're aptly related to what I want to write as they also emphasise the importance of peaceful conduct of the elections.

The first quote emphasises the need to shun violence in the name of a politician. This is the quote of the former President Goidluck Ebele Jonathan who once said and I quote

" My ambition does not worth the blood of any Nigerian."

As well-meaning citizens of the giants of Africa, we should try to dissociate ourselves from political violence whatsoever. You shouldn't prepare to die for someone else's ambition because it's a waste of opportunity of life. We should also always remember that there is no way meaningful development and growth of health and wealth could be attained in a rancour environment.

Secretary-general of the Commonwealth also said during the second signing of the peace accord by all presidential candidates who are over seventy in the forthcoming general elections that electorates are watching, people are watching, Africa is watching and in the end the world is watching. Everything that happens today will become history tomorrow. It's now our individual decision and action during the electoral processes that will determine what part of the history we will belong.

In 2015, history was made during general elections and people are a parts of the history. Some are remembered for the good things they did then now and some are remembered otherwise. This is why one has to be extremely careful in choosing his electoral history because in the Game of Thrones, they say "The north remembers" but in this election, not just the north but the world remembers.

Electoral empire of the country who organises, oversees and announces results of the polls assures and reassures Nigerians that having being equipped with all the necessary resources, they are are committed to delivering the freest and fairest elections as every single vote of all voters will count. INEC officials have been briefed to desist from politics and any form of favouritism that may directly or indirectly influence their actions and in the end question the credibility of the election. INEC is still a neutral organ in the country and that alone gives us the assurance that this election will only produce choices of the masses.

One of the presidential candidate who happens to be the strongest opposition to the sitting President in one of his post-campaign and pre-election speeches, he said and I quote,

"I would like you all to come out en mass to cast your votes. Even if you will not vote for me, just come out and vote."

This message is a clarion call to all electorates in the country to do their parts which is to exercise their franchise to as to select the leaders of their choice.

Most electorates always believe this myth that their votes are not what count and that the whole INEC of a thing is just to make their trick look real. This I must say is completely untrue, baseless, poisonous and should be detached from our minds. As a matter of fact, this is one of the problems of bad leadership because someone once said that bad leaders are elected by good citizens who refused to cast their votes.

On this note, electorates, I mean people who are eligible to vote and have their permanent voter's cards should not keep their fingers crossed and distance themselves from election instead they should go and vote. According to the statistics of registered voters released by INEC, 51 percent of the electorates which represents over 42 million are actually youths between the ages of 18 and 35. Imagine the difference that will make in deciding our leaders.

Now, on a final note, which is the most important is the answer to question of whom to vote for? Some people will ask me who should I vote for, tell us who to vote for and somehow. Well, let me use the quote of the president of the federation, President Muhammadu Buhari when he was giving his short speech during the second signing of the peace accord in Abuja on the 13th of February, 3 days to the election. He said and I quote,

"On 16th of February we are all going to vote for parties but we should have it in mind that, there is only one real party which is the country, Nigeria"

That's indeed, a very creative answer to questions on who to vote for. I want to advise all Nigerians to vote for what will remain forever. Buhari will go, APC will go, Atiku will go, PDP will go, everybody you want to vote for will go but the nation will still remain. This is why you should only vote for Nigeria and to vote for Nigeria means you should vote for who has plans for the future the country. The love of Nigeria not the love of a politician should be in the minds of all Nigerians whenever you want to vote as they will guide you in choosing the best candidates and not your preferred candidates.

Remember that the country is bigger than any candidate of your choice. Remember that whatever you do during the election will be talked about tomorrow and forever. Remember that votes not violence win elections. Remember that you are not just casting your vote, you are deciding what the future of your beloved country will be. Remember that Nigeria is bigger than your ambition and so you shouldn't be desperate. And lastly remember the second stanza of the Nigeria anthem by praying for peace and prosperity in Nigeria.

As an advocate of peace and good governance in the country, I want to implore all and sundry to ensure a violence free election and always have it in mind that before we engage in violence or any electoral malpractice where we are today is the result of our fathers and the fathers of our fathers and whatever we do now determines the fate of our children and the children of our children. God bless Nigeria and Nigerians. Amin.

Written by:
Abdulkareem Abdulmumeen Omotosho
Popular as Moomeen Tourshaw
talktouniquewriter@gmail.com
+2348166626562

(1) (Reply)

Inec To Shift Saturday Election / FULL TEXT: Buhari Addresses Nigerians On Postponed General Election / Accomodation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.