Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Do You Still Think Democracy Is Our Saving Grace? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Still Think Democracy Is Our Saving Grace? (372 Views)

N5.5bn SUVs: If Democracy Is Expensive, Try Dictatorship - Adedayo Adeyeye / Our Democracy Is Under Threat - Secondus / CJN Suspension: Our Democracy Is On Fire - House Of Reps Speaker, Dogara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do You Still Think Democracy Is Our Saving Grace? by BedLam: 10:26pm On Feb 15, 2019
I think otherwise, on a lighter and homogenous scale, democracy makes so much sense, but it has proven to be the worse type of govt when people are different by all indices just like you have Nigeria.

What advocates of democracy don't tell you is the fact that democracy is for "sophisticated" people--people who are different but well educated or people that aren't anywhere brittle like this country of ours. Our ethnicity, languages all make us fragile to the common issues that others can tackle head-on.

It is a slow type of govt, even slower even you have to factor in our uniqueness because almost everyone and everything is considered before critical decisions are made which is detrimental if we ever want to leap forward.

Just so you know, very few countries developed with democracy being the system of govt in the last three decades, more than 80% percent of development happened in regions with authoritarian govt( I am talking Abacha and his band of thieves ). Not bigoted Buhari as well! Look at China, UAE, and Singapore!
Even Europe didn't develop with democracy!

Our democracy has been two steps forward and four backward. If we want to pursue other countries in terms of development democracy won't get us there in the 50 years, well unless we go back to the drawing board and restructure but how can people that are benefiting from this nonworking nation even attempt to make it work? It is like asking the lawmakers to reduce their pay by 50%!

I know people will argue that democracy gives people a voice in govt, but would you prefer a view that is almost not heard in govt to development that will create wealth and prosperity? This is like choosing between Brazil and China! Of course, a lot of us will go to China. The only countries will giant strides today are almost authoritarian, which means having a pragmatic leader that knows what building a state is.

How long did it take the UAE to catch up? Advocates of democracy won't get shy running over there to earn a living.

What we need is "authoritarian meritocracy"! Not a govt of mediocrity Everyone should ponder on this while reading.
Re: Do You Still Think Democracy Is Our Saving Grace? by pchukwudi: 10:44pm On Feb 15, 2019
Nonsense

It's clear that you are still a teenager.

Don't worry, I'm sure that when you finally grow up, you'd get to understand the value of freedom.

But, FYI, on democracy we stand. Any attempt to topple it will be the end of Nigeria.

[s]
BedLam:
I think otherwise, on a lighter and homogenous scale, democracy makes so much sense, but it has proven to be the worse type of govt when people are different by all indices just like you have Nigeria.

What advocates of democracy don't tell you is the fact that democracy is for "sophisticated" people--people who are different but well educated or people that aren't anywhere brittle like this country of ours. Our ethnicity, languages all make us fragile to the common issues that others can tackle head-on.

It is a slow type of govt, even slower even you have to factor in our uniqueness because almost everyone and everything is considered before critical decisions are made which is detrimental if we ever want to leap forward.

Just so you know, very few countries developed with democracy being the system of govt in the last three decades, more than 80% percent of development happened in regions with authoritarian govt( I am talking Abacha and his band of thieves ). Not bigoted Buhari as well! Look at China, UAE, and Singapore!
Even Europe didn't develop with democracy!

Our democracy has been two steps forward and four backward. If we want to pursue other countries in terms of development democracy won't get us there in the 50 years, well unless we go back to the drawing board and restructure but how can people that are benefiting from this nonworking nation even attempt to make it work? It is like asking the lawmakers to reduce their pay by 50%!

I know people will argue that democracy gives people a voice in govt, but would you prefer a view that is almost not heard in govt to development that will create wealth and prosperity? This is like choosing between Brazil and China! Of course, a lot of us will go to China. The only countries will giant strides today are almost authoritarian, which means having a pragmatic leader that knows what building a state is.

How long did it take the UAE to catch up? Advocates of democracy won't get shy running over there to earn a living.

What we need is "authoritarian meritocracy"! Not a govt of mediocrity Everyone should ponder on this while reading.
[/s]
Re: Do You Still Think Democracy Is Our Saving Grace? by BedLam: 10:54pm On Feb 15, 2019
pchukwudi:
Nonsense

It's clear that you are still a teenager.

Don't worry, I'm sure that when you finally grow up, you'd get to understand the value of freedom.

But, FYI, on democracy we stand. Any attempt to topple it will be the end of Nigeria.

[s][/s]

Why are you so bitter?
Would you go to China? Would you take holiday in Abu Dhabi? If yes, your hypocrisy stinks! What say you have in this govt from 1999? Are you better than those living in those countries I mentioned? Next time argue while using the most logical sides of your brain and don't throw tantrums like an autistic adult!

(1) (Reply)

Why INEC, Buhari Govt Should Be Blamed For Election Postponement - Atiku / Caption This Photo ..... Lets See Who Gets The Best Comment / Polls Shift: INEC Chairman, Yakubu, Compromised - Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.