Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,650 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started (976 Views)

Over-voting Had Been Defeated; But Vote-Manipulations Are Yet To Be Defeated / National Collation Of The Presidential Election Had Started / FLASHBACK: In 2012, Lai attacked Jonathan with TI’s corruption index (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by Sirjamo: 7:25am On Feb 16, 2019
Many Nigerians have expressed disappointment that the 2019 general election was postponed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) less than 10 hours to the commencement of the voting process.

What about this? In 2011, voting had actually started in some parts of the country when INEC announced that the election had been moved by two days!

The national assembly elections were scheduled for April 2, 2011 and had commenced smoothly in states such as Lagos, Kaduna, Kebbi, Delta, Zamfara and Enugu when Attahiru Jega, a professor and INEC chairman, announced the postponement. Reason: late deployment of electoral materials.

Four years later, Jega would move the elections again, this time by six weeks following pressure from the security chiefs who said they needed time to “diminish Boko Haram”.

TheCable has gone into the archives for the text of the address made by Jega on April 2, 2011 announcing the shift in dates. This is reproduced below.

‘What is worth doing is worth doing well’
Dear Compatriots, since this Commission started work in July 2010, I have repeatedly promised Nigerians that in carrying out our duties we shall always be sincere and truthful with Nigerians. I have always said that this INEC will be upfront with Nigerians, telling you exactly how things are – sharing both our successes and difficulties with you.

This is one such occasion. Indeed, it is an emergency. As you know the National Assembly (House of Representatives and Senate) elections are supposed to be taking place as I speak. You would also have noticed that things have not proceeded smoothly as expected with the elections. The reason for this is the unanticipated emergency we have experienced with late arrival of result sheets in many parts of the country. The result sheets are central to the elections and their integrity. Accordingly, in many places, our officials have not reported at the polling units, making it now difficult to implement the Modified Open Ballot Procedure that we have adopted. Not only do we have to enter the results in the sheets, the number of accredited voters is also to be entered in the result sheet. While we could have proceeded with the elections in a few States of the country, where all the materials are available, such as Lagos, Kaduna, Kebbi, Delta, Zamfara and Enugu, among others, in order to maintain the integrity of the elections and retain effective overall control of the process, the Commission has taken the difficult but necessary decision to postpone the National Assembly elections to Monday, April 4, 2011.

I appeal to all Nigerians for their understanding in this difficult situation. We as a Commission appreciate the profound sacrifice that you have all made not just in turning out today, but also throughout this election season. We are greatly encouraged by you and our appeal is that you remain steadfast in this last lap of this electoral process in the interest of all Nigerians and in the cause of democracy.

The Commission will immediately be contacting all political parties, as major stakeholders to explain the situation. I appeal for their support in explaining the situation to their members and supporters.

May I also appeal to all other stakeholders, particularly national and international observers and our development partners for continued understanding. I realize that they have committed enormous resources to this process, especially in deploying observers in the field. However, we think that what is worth doing is worth doing well.

Finally, while we deeply regret this situation and apologise to Nigerians for the hardship this may have created, I would like to reiterate that we are fully committed to conducting free, fair and credible elections for Nigerians. The decision the Commission has taken is weighty; but it is also a very important step in further ensuring the credibility of the elections.
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by Nobody: 7:28am On Feb 16, 2019
Can Nigeria split already? Let each region revert to monarchy system of government. This federalism has caused more harm than good. I'm sick and tired of this bs
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by NIGHTMARE0O7: 7:32am On Feb 16, 2019
B
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by nabiz(m): 7:34am On Feb 16, 2019
Sirjamo:

Many Nigerians have expressed disappointment that the 2019 general election was postponed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) less than 10 hours to the commencement of the voting process.

What about this? In 2011, voting had actually started in some parts of the country when INEC announced that the election had been moved by two days!

The national assembly elections were scheduled for April 2, 2011 and had commenced smoothly in states such as Lagos, Kaduna, Kebbi, Delta, Zamfara and Enugu when Attahiru Jega, a professor and INEC chairman, announced the postponement. Reason: late deployment of electoral materials.

Four years later, Jega would move the elections again, this time by six weeks following pressure from the security chiefs who said they needed time to “diminish Boko Haram”.

TheCable has gone into the archives for the text of the address made by Jega on April 2, 2011 announcing the shift in dates. This is reproduced below.

‘What is worth doing is worth doing well’
Dear Compatriots, since this Commission started work in July 2010, I have repeatedly promised Nigerians that in carrying out our duties we shall always be sincere and truthful with Nigerians. I have always said that this INEC will be upfront with Nigerians, telling you exactly how things are – sharing both our successes and difficulties with you.

This is one such occasion. Indeed, it is an emergency. As you know the National Assembly (House of Representatives and Senate) elections are supposed to be taking place as I speak. You would also have noticed that things have not proceeded smoothly as expected with the elections. The reason for this is the unanticipated emergency we have experienced with late arrival of result sheets in many parts of the country. The result sheets are central to the elections and their integrity. Accordingly, in many places, our officials have not reported at the polling units, making it now difficult to implement the Modified Open Ballot Procedure that we have adopted. Not only do we have to enter the results in the sheets, the number of accredited voters is also to be entered in the result sheet. While we could have proceeded with the elections in a few States of the country, where all the materials are available, such as Lagos, Kaduna, Kebbi, Delta, Zamfara and Enugu, among others, in order to maintain the integrity of the elections and retain effective overall control of the process, the Commission has taken the difficult but necessary decision to postpone the National Assembly elections to Monday, April 4, 2011.

I appeal to all Nigerians for their understanding in this difficult situation. We as a Commission appreciate the profound sacrifice that you have all made not just in turning out today, but also throughout this election season. We are greatly encouraged by you and our appeal is that you remain steadfast in this last lap of this electoral process in the interest of all Nigerians and in the cause of democracy.

The Commission will immediately be contacting all political parties, as major stakeholders to explain the situation. I appeal for their support in explaining the situation to their members and supporters.

May I also appeal to all other stakeholders, particularly national and international observers and our development partners for continued understanding. I realize that they have committed enormous resources to this process, especially in deploying observers in the field. However, we think that what is worth doing is worth doing well.

Finally, while we deeply regret this situation and apologise to Nigerians for the hardship this may have created, I would like to reiterate that we are fully committed to conducting free, fair and credible elections for Nigerians. The decision the Commission has taken is weighty; but it is also a very important step in further ensuring the credibility of the elections.

are you for real
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by torino88(m): 7:35am On Feb 16, 2019
so we only copy bad things in this country?
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by bisoye11(m): 7:55am On Feb 16, 2019
OP,you are very stupid for bring this up,You are an example why this country will never work.

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by rottennaija(m): 8:38am On Feb 16, 2019
Earthbound:
Can Nigeria split already? Let each region revert to monarchy system of government. This federalism has caused more harm than good. I'm sick and tired of this bs

Can we just have patience? Everyone is disappointed. I'm am greatly disappointed. It gives the FG a bad name and gives PDP something to write and talk about.

Can we just have patience? Can we?
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by naunasabi: 8:40am On Feb 16, 2019
@op for you to justify Buhari's actions based on reason the past government was voted out shows that APC has used your boxers.

I swear most the BMC members on NL with the way dey talk I am sure their boxers/pants have been used by APC.

I gathered from reliable source that for you to join BMC you have to hand in the boxers or panties you were wearing there at the recruitment day.

1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by SalamRushdie: 8:40am On Feb 16, 2019
OP try and have shame for once
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by naijapips04: 8:42am On Feb 16, 2019
mallam, that was for parliamentary elections, not presidential.

You are a fool for bringing this up now tho. You should know when to defend buhari and when to keep quite. This is not a right time to defend Buhari.
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by Nobody: 9:45am On Feb 16, 2019
naunasabi:
@op for you to justify Buhari's actions based on reason the past government was voted out shows that APC has used your boxers.

I swear most the BMC members on NL with the way dey talk I am sure their boxers/pants have been used by APC.

I gathered from reliable source that for you to join BMC you have to hand in the boxers or panties you were wearing there at the recruitment day.

Did you just say APC used his boxers?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by magoo10(m): 9:59am On Feb 16, 2019
naunasabi:

lol very possible

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by kahal29: 10:04am On Feb 16, 2019
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by donpope1(m): 10:09am On Feb 16, 2019
This is 2019 and you are here making reference to 2011. What is the change you chanted all about at the first place?
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by ivandragon: 11:16am On Feb 16, 2019
@ op, you learn from mistakes & dont aim to repeat them.
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by bkool7(m): 11:22am On Feb 16, 2019
donpope1:
This is 2019 and you are here making reference to 2011. What is the change you chanted all about at the first place?

I'm highly disappointed too.

But anything worth doing at all is worth doing well. Or don't you agree
Re: FLASHBACK: In 2011 INEC Moved Election After Voting Had Started by mycar: 11:25am On Feb 16, 2019
That's why he was voted out. undecided

(1) (Reply)

FACT CHECK: Senator Ben Murray-bruce Goofed On Rwanda’s Solar Energy / Again, Buratai Blames Nigerian Soldiers For Unending Boko Haram War / Nnamdi Kanu Sends Letter To Emperor Of Japan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.