Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,099 members, 7,814,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges (2559 Views)

Motion To Divide Nigeria Emerges / Nigeria Emerges 31st World Biggest Economy Beats UAE, S/africa, Singapore / Nigeria Emerges 2nd After China In Global Refinery Capacity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by kettykin: 12:29pm On Feb 17, 2019
Sixteen year old Akachukwu Anumudu of Apostolic Faith Secondary School, Anthony, Lagos, on Saturday, February 9, 2019, emerged winner of the first edition of the InterswitchSPAK National Science Competition held in Lagos

He beat eight other contestants in an intense quiz session to win the grand prize of N7.5 million worth of tertiary education scholarship spread over five years, a laptop and a monthly stipend during the course of the scholarship.

The first runner-up was 16-year-old Henry Umunna of the Loyola Jesuit College, Abuja. Umunna won N4 million worth of scholarship spread over three years; while the second runner-up, 16-year-old Onyedikachi Kanu from Dority International School, Aba, got N1m worth of scholarship for one year

Akachukwu came tops after advancing through various levels of the competition. Expressing his gratitude, Akachukwu said he never expected to make it this far, explaining that competitions like this would help in discovering brighter young stars in Nigeria.

He said: “Whenever I see people win at competitions, I always wondered if I could ever get that lucky. But now, I know it’s beyond luck and I am glad that all my sleepless nights and hard work paid off. I am very grateful to Interswitch because they made me who I am today. Before now, I was very shy and reserved, but my whole experience at the InterswitchSPAK 1.0 has helped build my confidence and prepared me for the future”.

Another highlight of the day was the presentation of the Founder’s Award to Team Neptune- winners of the Innovation Challenge.

The team made up of nine SS2 kids, collaborated to develop a technology-driven solution aimed at providing Nigerians with easier access to National Health Insurance. Each student was presented with a medal and a laptop. The nine students also get a chance to partake in a two-week internship programme at Interswitch Group’s head office in Lagos during the holidays.

Mitchell Elegbe, Group Managing Director/Founder, Interswitch Group, said that his company is particularly passionate about the healthcare sector and is already working on the proposal that emerged from the Innovation Challenge. He added that the winning team will get to join the Interswitch team to further develop the proposed solution.

After presenting the cheque of N7.5 million to the grand winner, Elegbe, in his short remarks, reiterated the importance of emotional Intelligence.

He said: “You have emerged winner of this competition and that makes you a very special person. However, you must remember that although having a high IQ is necessary, it is not sufficient for success in life. We hope you will take all you have learnt during this competition and apply it where necessary. We wish you greater success in life and we will be with you every step of the way”.

Mr Abubakar M. Gana, Acting Registrar/Chief Executive, National Examinations Council (NECO) in his address, drew a connection between STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) and national development.

“STEM education, if adequately pursued, can be described as the bedrock of any nation’s technological take-off or development. The era of pen-paper quiz has given way to technology. Quiz administration is now computerized as we can see here at InterswitchSPAK 1.0”, he said.

He also lauded Interswitch for their investment in the competition as well as for being a major player in Nigeria’s economy through their electronic payment system which eases business transactions.

Besides the three major prize winners, the other six contestants were awarded N500,000 each, as consolation prizes for earning a spot in the ‘Top 9’. 15-year-old Glory Okoli of Ambassadors College, Ota, was gifted an additional N250,000 by the Interswitch boss for being the last female standing in the competition.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by kettykin: 12:30pm On Feb 17, 2019
is this coincidental or the new trend in Nigeria. how come all the winners are from the 5% while none of the 97% is yet to be found within range

10 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by eWyse: 12:31pm On Feb 17, 2019
Why is this in Politics section??

Unless you mean Political science.
Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by DrGoodman: 12:31pm On Feb 17, 2019
Why am I not surprised about his surname?

1 Like

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by kettykin: 12:34pm On Feb 17, 2019
eWyse:
Why is this in Politics section??

Unless you mean Political science.

it is in political section because it was once said that 97% rule over the 5% and the 5% are third class citizens.
The present Governor elect of Osun state once alluded that the top WEAC and JAMB scores of the 5% zone was as a result of special centres
So this will once again trash out whether such allusion was politically driven or the fact of th day

13 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Uyiii: 12:35pm On Feb 17, 2019
This is a very exciting news and in every way front page worthy, but unfortunately will most likely not make it.

Long live competitions/shows as the one we've got here that promotes education positively and of course provide the enabling surface for intelligent and resilient human beings to show case themselves.

I am so delighted and proud of this news and really encourage the sponsors behind this very commendable act to continue this good work, as this is the bedrock of any nation that wants to be progressive and productive.

The awards to the contestants who emerged eventual winners are okay, it's encouraging, but hopefully we gonna do more as a nation making our new generation see the light and worth of education and completely bury the urge to feature in utterly hopeless, unproductive and outrightly stupid shows like Big Brother Naija, Africa or Mercury.

I'm not gonna cogitate on chaps in this thread already going tribal, I am gonna highlight the positivity in the tribal attachment to the winners.
Yeh, a particular tribe emerged winner here which must be, this should further ignite the fire of other tribes to work harder and make their tribes proud to the over all betterment of our country 9ja.
Just imagine everyone in 9ja reading scatter, researching scatter, acceptance of mediocrity will be drastically reduced and positive productivity will envelope us all.

Cheers to this very commendable competition and congratulations to the winners and every other contestants.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by KANUISALIVE: 12:41pm On Feb 17, 2019
Proudly 5%

4 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by kettykin: 12:41pm On Feb 17, 2019
is this the trend or a coincidence ?

First a 5 Percenter emerged vitorious and beat 12 other 97% others in the popular BBAfrica

5 pecenters now have the best scores in Jambe and WAEC beating 97 percenters

Secondly another 5percenters went to the world stage and beat everyother country of the world in a science innovation competion

Thirdly 5 Percenters have now been declared to be the best science students in the whole country

5 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by amaniro: 12:41pm On Feb 17, 2019
Igbos everywhere

3 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by kettykin: 1:04pm On Feb 17, 2019
Uyiii:
This is a very exciting news and in every way front page worthy. Long live competitions/shows as the one we've got here that promotes education positively and of course provide the enabling surface for intelligent and resilient human beings to show case themselves.

I am so delighted and proud of this news and really encourage the sponsors behind this very commendable act to continue this good work, as this is the bedrock of any nation that wants to be progressive and productive.

The awards to the contestants who emerged eventual winners are okay, it's encouraging, but hopefully we gonna do more as a nation making our new generation see the light and worth of education and completely bury the urge to feature in utterly hopeless, unproductive and outrightly stupid shows like Big Brother Naija, Africa or Mercury.

I'm not gonna cogitate on chaps in this thread already going tribal, I am gonna highlight the positivity in the tribal attachment to the winners.
Yeh, a particular tribe emerged winner here which must be, this should further ignite the fire of other tribes to work harder and make their tribes proud to the over all betterment of our country 9ja.
Just imagine everyone in 9ja reading scatter, researching scatter, acceptance of mediocrity will be drastically reduced and positive productivity will envelope us all.

Cheers to this very commendable competition and congratulations to the winners and every other contestants.

i like how you have positively explored how this competition can help Nigeria , but the truth be told , that is the last you might hear of these students unless they take thier brilliance outside Nigeria. They have the Buhari factor to battle , the Nigerian factor to battle the ethnic hatred emanating from a particular section to contend with and the usual Nigerian apathy to battle with .

This is where restructuring of the country can play a very big and good role to ensure the intelligent and smart few are not pushed aside and replaced with buffons and their supporters like has happened in the military and presidency ,Nigeria should be restructured in such a way that the best minds can thrive without state manipulated scorched earth policies scuttling him/her

2 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Anambra1stSon(m): 1:43pm On Feb 17, 2019
kettykin:
Sixteen year old Akachukwu Anumudu of Apostolic Faith Secondary School, Anthony, Lagos, on Saturday, February 9, 2019, emerged winner of the first edition of the InterswitchSPAK National Science Competition held in Lagos

He beat eight other contestants in an intense quiz session to win the grand prize of N7.5 million worth of tertiary education scholarship spread over five years, a laptop and a monthly stipend during the course of the scholarship.

The first runner-up was 16-year-old Henry Umunna of the Loyola Jesuit College, Abuja. Umunna won N4 million worth of scholarship spread over three years; while the second runner-up, 16-year-old Onyedikachi Kanu from Dority International School, Aba, got N1m worth of scholarship for one year

Akachukwu came tops after advancing through various levels of the competition. Expressing his gratitude, Akachukwu said he never expected to make it this far, explaining that competitions like this would help in discovering brighter young stars in Nigeria.

He said: “Whenever I see people win at competitions, I always wondered if I could ever get that lucky. But now, I know it’s beyond luck and I am glad that all my sleepless nights and hard work paid off. I am very grateful to Interswitch because they made me who I am today. Before now, I was very shy and reserved, but my whole experience at the InterswitchSPAK 1.0 has helped build my confidence and prepared me for the future”.

Another highlight of the day was the presentation of the Founder’s Award to Team Neptune- winners of the Innovation Challenge.

The team made up of nine SS2 kids, collaborated to develop a technology-driven solution aimed at providing Nigerians with easier access to National Health Insurance. Each student was presented with a medal and a laptop. The nine students also get a chance to partake in a two-week internship programme at Interswitch Group’s head office in Lagos during the holidays.

Mitchell Elegbe, Group Managing Director/Founder, Interswitch Group, said that his company is particularly passionate about the healthcare sector and is already working on the proposal that emerged from the Innovation Challenge. He added that the winning team will get to join the Interswitch team to further develop the proposed solution.

After presenting the cheque of N7.5 million to the grand winner, Elegbe, in his short remarks, reiterated the importance of emotional Intelligence.

He said: “You have emerged winner of this competition and that makes you a very special person. However, you must remember that although having a high IQ is necessary, it is not sufficient for success in life. We hope you will take all you have learnt during this competition and apply it where necessary. We wish you greater success in life and we will be with you every step of the way”.

Mr Abubakar M. Gana, Acting Registrar/Chief Executive, National Examinations Council (NECO) in his address, drew a connection between STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) and national development.

“STEM education, if adequately pursued, can be described as the bedrock of any nation’s technological take-off or development. The era of pen-paper quiz has given way to technology. Quiz administration is now computerized as we can see here at InterswitchSPAK 1.0”, he said.

He also lauded Interswitch for their investment in the competition as well as for being a major player in Nigeria’s economy through their electronic payment system which eases business transactions.

Besides the three major prize winners, the other six contestants were awarded N500,000 each, as consolation prizes for earning a spot in the ‘Top 9’. 15-year-old Glory Okoli of Ambassadors College, Ota, was gifted an additional N250,000 by the Interswitch boss for being the last female standing in the competition.
I watched it on Channels TV, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd position were all Igbos kids, I wanted to create thread on it but I was carried away with campaign activities. Fact Igbos can't be caged.

4 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Ritchiee: 1:47pm On Feb 17, 2019
kettykin:

First a 5 Percenter emerged vitorious and beat 12 other 97% others in the popular BBAfrica

Secondly another 5percenters went to the world stage and beat everyother country of the world in a science innovation competion

Thirdly 5 Percenters have now been declared to be the best science students in the whole country

Maybe the 5℅ or whatever you called them are just waking up.Wake me up when they reach this level....

1 Like

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Anambra1stSon(m): 1:49pm On Feb 17, 2019
Ritchiee:

Maybe the 5℅ or whatever you called them are just waking up.Wake me up when they reach this level....
I can feel your pain from far grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Ritchiee: 1:56pm On Feb 17, 2019
post=75822256:

I can feel your pain from far grin cheesy

lol...just something to hang on to for being pummelled and not been able to counter it. grin grin

The world knows the best scientists and the upcoming 5℅ centers.
The World even rewards the best...

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Asshurbanipal: 2:04pm On Feb 17, 2019
Igbo Amaka

2 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Asshurbanipal: 2:08pm On Feb 17, 2019
Ritchiee:

Afonjas can never change

3 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Asshurbanipal: 2:10pm On Feb 17, 2019
Ritchiee:

lol...just something to hang on to for being pummelled and not been able to counter it. grin grin

The world knows the best scientists and the upcoming 5℅ centers.
The World even rewards the best...
You sound so insecure

2 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Ritchiee: 2:12pm On Feb 17, 2019
Asshurbanipal:

You sound so insecure

Can you be my security man? grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Ritchiee: 2:13pm On Feb 17, 2019
Asshurbanipal:

Afonjas can never change

Okoros can never change too.Do you think that Okoro can change?
Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Asshurbanipal: 2:14pm On Feb 17, 2019
kettykin:

it is in political section because it was once said that 97% rule over the 5% and the 5% are third class citizens.
The present Governor elect of Osun state once alluded that the top WEAC and JAMB scores of the 5% zone was as a result of special centres
So this will once again trash out whether such allusion was politically driven or the fact of th day
You mean a governor elect actually said that? So no yoruba man can grow above petty tribal rantings?

4 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Ritchiee: 2:20pm On Feb 17, 2019
Asshurbanipal:

You mean a governor elect actually said that? So no yoruba man can grow above petty tribal rantings?
Maybe he is trying to meet up with Igbo leaders petty tribal rantings,who knows
Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by lastmessenger: 2:28pm On Feb 17, 2019
kettykin:

my dear give us a level playing ground and you will see that all these people shouting tinubu,buhari and osibanjo can never near the hard working Igbo's. They only achievement these northerners have is the breeding of useless children.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by kettykin: 7:06pm On Feb 17, 2019
lastmessenger:
my dear give us a level playing ground and you will see that all these people shouting tinubu,buhari and osibanjo can never near the hard working Igbo's. They only achievement these northerners have is the breeding of useless children.

Bro did anyone give israel a level playing ground , i think we have to win this people in whatever ground they want, a level playing ground might be too much to ask from the hostile neighbors who surround us , neigbors who never wanted igbos to raise their heads after the civil war , who left conventional fighting to starve women and children during the war
Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by DrGoodman: 7:12pm On Feb 17, 2019
Ritchiee:

Wipe your tears, you will be alright last last

3 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Obaiyski(m): 8:03pm On Feb 17, 2019
I think It's in their blood to excel..
Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by Ozibe: 8:13pm On Feb 17, 2019
Igbos conquering Lagos,Abuja, and home ground Aba.. lolz we are truly the Jews of the black race.

This is also a testimony of the advantage of igbo spread. We take advantage of opportunities outside our homeland by competing and conquering them in their backyard, while also making sure we hold on tight to the little quota in our homeland except for a few times our cousins(especailly ibibios who are many and active in igboland take out of our quota. There are very competitive too, but we are not complaining). All in all, at average. While others have 10 to share, igbos compete to get 3 from that 10, then add it to the 5 they have in their home land to get 8. So at the end, while the rest of Nigeria shares 7, igbos have already harvested 8 grin grin. It is common Sense, why we dominate in most sectors, especially in education.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by SheikhMuniru(m): 8:50pm On Feb 17, 2019
SE O TI P'OMI CHEMICAL PO?
Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by dokyOloye: 9:35pm On Feb 17, 2019
5% dusting 97% everytime.
Every forking time grin

1 Like

Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by kernel001: 9:48pm On Feb 17, 2019
Ritchiee:

Sir... Please give me names from 97% that are better than these names.

1. Eboe Osuji = ICC President
2. Arunma Oteh OON= is the Treasurer and a Vice President of the World Bank.
3. Phillip Emegwalim- Father of Internet
4. Chimammada Adiche
5.Ngozi Okonjo
6. Oby Okwesili
7. Chukwuma Soludo.

In the past 16 years in Nigeria, I challenge you to tell me the year, any of your states topped Igbos in WAEC, NECO and JAMB.

UNITED States of America’s most celebrated brand, Apple, has bought Nigeria’s Chinedu Echeruo’s HopStop.com. According to The Wall Street Journal’s publication, AllThingsDigital, it informed that though the term of the deal has not been disclosed officially, but HopStop has been compared to Israel’s Waze, which was recently acquired by Google for $1 billion.

https://m.guardian.ng/news/apple-buys-a-nigerian-owned-ict-firm-for-1-billion/

The five Anambra girls from Regina Pacies Secondary School Onitsha, who represented Nigeria and Africa at the World Technovation Challenge in the Silicon Valley in San
Francisco, US last night, have won the Gold Medal in the contest.

https://www.unicef.org/wca/stories/golden-girls-nigeria
Re: The Best Science Students In Nigeria Emerges by SouthEastFacts: 9:52pm On Feb 17, 2019
No be by who first come, na by who rugged pass.
I am a proud 5%

(1) (Reply)

2023: Jonathan In Closed Door Meeting Ahead Of Declaration Of His Position / I Am Dumping Tinubu Because Of Mynd44, Others / Is Gbajabiamila A Yoruba Name?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.