Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

What Would Africa Be Like Today If We Were Never Colonized? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Would Africa Be Like Today If We Were Never Colonized? (870 Views)

Wahala Be Like Church Drummers - Afternoon Pill / Which Igbo Group In Particular Colonized The Ikwerres? / Would You Love Your Wedding To Be Like This???? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would Africa Be Like Today If We Were Never Colonized? by theafricanmind(m): 4:40pm On Feb 17, 2019
Have you ever wondered what Africa would turn out to be today without the influence of the Europeans?

I usually don’t like to dwell my thoughts on these things and I’d rather focus on the present and what the future holds, but then, I saw a question on Quora, and it got me thinking of the powerful centralized kingdoms and empires that were quite dominant throughout the African continent and just wondering what would have happened if they had never been conquered or destroyed by the European invasion.

To read more please visit this link >>>> https:///2ScjOQ0

1 Like

Re: What Would Africa Be Like Today If We Were Never Colonized? by whitebeard(m): 4:46pm On Feb 17, 2019
Wakanda
Re: What Would Africa Be Like Today If We Were Never Colonized? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
Still a shithole.

Sorry u need innovation to be able to move cicivilizations forward.

Africa didn't have it then

Africa doesn't have it now

So...still a shithole.
Re: What Would Africa Be Like Today If We Were Never Colonized? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 17, 2019
African will be divided according to ethnic lines, Most Africans will be practising their traditional religions, there will be less crimes

Empire will come and go, the weakest empires will be invaded and destroyed, there will be war, the empire that survives wars will be the most developed and advanced

Africans will use their different languages for communication, education and be proud of themselves

the system of government will be monarchy

trades will be with other empire and tribes far away

there will be less intermarriage and multiculturalism because it will be looked down

there will be development in science, philosophy, maths, economics and other subjects but it wont be called those names and only the elites and their children will be expert in those subjects

the form of education will be apprenticeships, craftmanships and trades

the most prosperous will be towns along the coastlines because of trades

african society will be closed

Note; wakanda is fictional and a fantasy.

5 Likes

Re: What Would Africa Be Like Today If We Were Never Colonized? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Feb 17, 2019
theafricanmind:
Have you ever wondered what Africa would turn out to be today without the influence of the Europeans?

I usually don’t like to dwell my thoughts on these things and I’d rather focus on the present and what the future holds, but then, I saw a question on Quora, and it got me thinking of the powerful centralized kingdoms and empires that were quite dominant throughout the African continent and just wondering what would have happened if they had never been conquered or destroyed by the European invasion.

To read more please visit this link >>>> https:///2ScjOQ0

There would have been independence of thought. Similar to what the Chinese had in a certain time. Still the same, we would have seen a lot of Africans fighting their way to acquire technology and weapons of all that sort to achieve a domineering status, because according to human history, African dynasties and kings have always been known to be self first, before anyone else.
Re: What Would Africa Be Like Today If We Were Never Colonized? by Rossikki: 5:42am On Feb 18, 2019
kolaxed98:
Still a shithole.

Sorry u need innovation to be able to move cicivilizations forward.

Africa didn't have it then

Africa doesn't have it now

So...still a shithole.

Actually, Africa had multiple kingdoms and empires that were self-sufficient and in many cases, affluent, in the pre-colonial period. Go and read about ancient Benin, Mali, Songhai, Oyo, Ghana, Ife and other empires and kingdoms.

The Mali Empire in West Africa had universities as early as the 11th century. Millions of written manuscripts survive.

Ancient Benin City in present-day Nigeria had streetlights and underground drainage in the 13th century - 300 years before London, and was compared by 15th century European visitors to Amsterdam and Lisbon.

Oh, and they also built a military rampart of walls and ditches around the city that ''extend for some 160 km in all, in a mosaic of more than 500 interconnected settlement boundaries. They cover 2,510 sq. miles (6,500 square kilometres) and were all dug by the Edo people. In all, they are four times longer than the Great Wall of China, and consumed a hundred times more material than the Great Pyramid of Cheops. They took an estimated 150 million hours to construct, and are perhaps the largest single archaeological phenomenon on the planet.'' https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/18/story-of-cities-5-benin-city-edo-nigeria-mighty-medieval-capital-lost-without-trace

Truth is, Africa has a very long and proud history of enlightenment, innovation and civilization. If the west had continued trading with them instead of invading and colonising them, and herding them into artificial nations, African nations would have gone farther ahead than present.

''Innovation'' comes from exposure to other cultures and systems, which you then marry with yours to create new things and ways. Africans lacked that exposure, which would have come with increased foreign trade and diplomatic relations. The Industrial Revolution was a culmination of knowledge Europeans gained from their exposure to ancient African, Arab and Chinese technologies and philosophies.

1 Like

Re: What Would Africa Be Like Today If We Were Never Colonized? by labani06(m): 12:05pm On Feb 20, 2019
nothing would happen Ethiopia was never colonized and they make it

(1) (Reply)

Why Did Nigeria Mistrust The Igbos? / My Life Has Been Miserable Since My Boss Died. / What Are Nigeria’s Global Priorities?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.