Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,448 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

31 Roads In Lagos And The Famous Nigerians They Were Named After - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 31 Roads In Lagos And The Famous Nigerians They Were Named After (30972 Views)

Ghana Expelled 541 Nigerians & They Were Abandoned At The Nigerian Embassy / The Itakpe-Warri Railway Buhari Named After Goodluck Jonathan In Pictures / 31 Roads In Lagos And The Famous Nigerians They Were Named After (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 31 Roads In Lagos And The Famous Nigerians They Were Named After by Thunday1005(m): 10:06pm On Feb 19, 2019
Wao
Interesting
Re: 31 Roads In Lagos And The Famous Nigerians They Were Named After by holums(m): 10:08pm On Feb 19, 2019
Lyoncrescent:
Amazing how some keep calling Lagos a no man's land .
The thing is my mum is from Lagos. Lagos Island to be precise. She can trace four generations back to her family house in Lagos Island. The history of Lagos from the period of the aworis showed that yorubas dominated the landscape prior to the Oba of Benin expedition. Every Oba of Lagos has been yoruba. Historically, yorubas have been the dominant tribe in Lagos even before Nigeria became a Nation.

Saying that Lagos is a melting point for everyone is acceptable. After all it is the commercial capital of Nigeria and so many tribes have lived their entire life here which is why its a melting point. London is another classic example as the curent Mayor of London is of Pakistani Origin but also sees himself as a Londoner. Look at the way Nigerians are moving to Canada for better opportunities in droves. Canada is also becoming a melting point.

I cant imagine the Mayor of London now saying simply because he is of pakistani origin, London is now a no mans land. Or, the millions of Nigerians and Africans who have left for Canada should now turn back and say that Canada is a no mans land simply because maybe one Nkechi Adebunmi should become Prime Minister of Canada in future.

The thing is when people say Lagos is a no mans land, they actually attempt to diminish the cultural ties that generations have had in Lagos prior to migration. Based on almost every known record, yorubas were the orignial settlers in Lagos. If I now move to Enugu or Kano and i am popular in my community there and i speak the language and i win a seat in the house of reps there and get a street named after me , can i then also turn arround and say Enugu or Kano is no mans Land ?

Lagos is a melting point. You can say you are also a Lagosian. It can be our lagos together if you want but to say its a no mans land in the context people say is offensive/insensitive to say the least.

Good points............The strangers are more than the indigenes as a result of rapid immigration of different people of different ethnic backgrounds cos of Lagos been the federal capital for a long period of time thus making it to look like “no man’s land” but that does not rule out the fact that it’s Yorubaland, now that the capital is shifted to Abuja, which in the nearest future Abuja will also be tagged as “no man’s land” as a result many people migrating there and also many foreigners living there currently.
Re: 31 Roads In Lagos And The Famous Nigerians They Were Named After by oloripelebe2: 10:15pm On Feb 19, 2019
Darksider131:
painment grin grin

Go and bath... Pig from the muddy region grin

1 Like

Re: 31 Roads In Lagos And The Famous Nigerians They Were Named After by oyepaulkay(m): 11:59pm On Feb 19, 2019
[center][/center]
Timekeeper:

Next time u quote such a long thing just to comment, I'm gonna insult you.. Can u comment without quoting such a long text... Warn ursef, don't gimme trouble or else I will be rude to u.. I have noted your moniker now.....

grin grin
Re: 31 Roads In Lagos And The Famous Nigerians They Were Named After by igbanbajo(m): 9:04am On Feb 21, 2019
Bookmarked.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: FG Takes Over Arik Airline - Vanguard / Driver Evading LASTMA Raid Crushes Street Cleaners To Death In Lagos / Mother And Son Die In Road Crash In Taraba (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.