Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,317 members, 7,826,262 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Italian Serie C Team Pro Piacenza Lose 20-0 And Are Expelled From League! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Italian Serie C Team Pro Piacenza Lose 20-0 And Are Expelled From League! (626 Views)

Biggest Match-fixing; Two Games That Ended 95-0 And 91-1 Being Investigated / England Women Make History With Incredible 20-0 Win Over Latvia / Italian Team Looses 20-0 After Fielding Just Seven Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Italian Serie C Team Pro Piacenza Lose 20-0 And Are Expelled From League! by prof2007: 9:41pm On Feb 19, 2019
SOURCE: skysports.com

Serie C team Pro Piacenza lose 20-0 and are expelled from league after starting match with 7 players on Sunday 17 February

By Tommaso Fiore

Italian Football Association (FIGC) president Gabriele Gravina has labelled Cuneo's 20-0 drubbing of Pro Piacenza in Serie C as a "farce" and an "insult to sport and its founding principles". Pro Piacenza have now been thrown out of Italy's 3rd division as they forfeited 3 games out of a maximum of 4 allowed, due to their first-team players being on strike over missing payments.

They could only field 8 players on Sunday - 7 academy teenagers and one club director - and played with 7 for an hour due to a forgotten ID. One of the academy youngsters, 18-year-old Nicola Cirigliano, was even named as the team's manager in the official teamsheet, as club staff and managers also joined in the protest. However, FIGC rules state that a team is allowed to play should they provide at least 6 players in their starting line-up and so Pro Piacenza were legally entitled to start the game.

Cuneo found themselves 13-0 up inside 40 minutes and showed no signs of mercy as their opponents looked evidently not up for the challenge.

The financial crisis at Pro Piacenza is not a new scenario in the Italian lower leagues. Earlier this season, fellow Serie C side Matera were expelled from the league when they forfeited their 4th game. The Italian sporting judge deliberated whether further action would be needed, and announced on Monday evening Pro Piacenza would be expelled from the division.

"What happened in Cuneo is an insult to sport and to its founding principles," Gravina said. "In this surreal situation the FIGC had the duty to respect all the rules and so we did.

Serie C president Fracesco Ghirelli told Sky in Italy that he feels ashamed for the embarrassment the Pro Piacenza players suffered.

"Our responsibility is to safeguard the passion of the supporters, honest entrepreneurs and the credibility of our leagues; what we witnessed [on Sunday], regretfully, will be the last farce."

Serie C President Francesco Ghirelli told Sky in Italy he feels embarrassed for the young Pro Piacenza players, but insisted there was nothing he or Gravina could have done.

"We are talking about a black page in football that regrettably, we've been carrying around for a while. We want to say sorry to everyone, especially to the fans. We had to stick to the rulebook [teams are allowed to play with a minimum of 6 players], but today the sporting fair play rules have been violated in a shameless manner, a line has been crossed. [Italian] Football has some problems but the parents have faults of their own - why put your kids through such a disgrace? We could have saved such an embarrassment to these kids, and as a parent, I feel terribly sorry."

Cuneo captain Fabiano Santacroce, former Serie A player at Napoli and Parma, expressed his disgust in a social media post he uploaded on his personal Facebook profile during half time.

"And then there are Sundays where you end up like this. 13-0 up in the first half against a team that plays with six 17-year-old kids and a club director as a centre-half," he said. I'm lost for words, I can only feel ashamed for whoever made all of this possible. This is not the kind of football I dreamed of as a child."
Re: Italian Serie C Team Pro Piacenza Lose 20-0 And Are Expelled From League! by dguyindcorner(m): 9:57pm On Feb 19, 2019
This is so true. But I think they forfeited more than 10 matches becoz all I'm seeing in their results is 3-0 home and away.

Re: Italian Serie C Team Pro Piacenza Lose 20-0 And Are Expelled From League! by dguyindcorner(m): 9:57pm On Feb 19, 2019
Benson79574:
Please read below it

Aye yin ti ta
Re: Italian Serie C Team Pro Piacenza Lose 20-0 And Are Expelled From League! by basmur(m): 10:04pm On Feb 19, 2019
What a humiliation ....

The league has sucessfully been ridiculed.

(1) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua Speaks Yoruba During Training (video) / Unbelievable! Messi Produces Another Outrageous Bottle Flip / Lionel Messi: I Am The Perfect Man For Liverpool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.