Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,666 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? (839 Views)

2023 Presidential Election: Which Of These Candidates Would You Vote For? / 2023 Election: Which Of These Categories Do You Belong? / 2019 Election: Which Result Shocked You, Made You Happy And Sad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by kingIfey(m): 9:05am On Feb 22, 2019
#ComeToClassWithKingIfey

Governorship election❌
Governorship polls ❌
Governorship candidate❌

These expressions are used basically by Nigerians dailies but they are not the standard expressions to be used.

What does Governorship mean?

GOVERNORSHIP (noun)
The office or position of being governor of a town, region, or public institution.

‘the governorship of the bank’

‘Almost immediately after winning the governorship, he had begun to maneuver for a seat in the U.S. Senate.’

‘By the early 1990s, the Texas governorship was again in the hands of a Democrat.’

‘The party has already lost the governorships of New Jersey and Virginia.’

‘The party has already lost the governorships of New Jersey and Virginia in the first major post-Obama votes.’

2. The period of incumbency of a governor
Example:
He did a lot of work during his governorship.

Let's find out what Gubernatorial means

GUBERNATORIAL (adjective)
Relating to a governor, particularly that of a state in the US.
Examples

‘a gubernatorial election’

‘Virginia is one of only two states with gubernatorial races this election year.’

‘Her brother Mitch is lieutenant governor and a future gubernatorial prospect.’

‘They are still finding uncounted ballots in Washington state from last fall's gubernatorial election.’

‘According to the bill, the province is allowed to arrange direct gubernatorial elections, whenever it is ready.’

‘We're excited about your son's hopeful gubernatorial election this year.’

‘The gubernatorial election is still not over in Washington state.’

‘The new organization demanded wider public participation and transparency during the next gubernatorial election.’

‘The Californian gubernatorial election had just got under way and everyone and their brother-in-law seemed to be running.’

‘I hope the administration is serious in this effort, and not just making empty promises ahead of the gubernatorial election.’

‘After the attorney helped a gubernatorial candidate win an election, he became the governors counsel.’

‘Between now and next year, 38 states and two territories will hold gubernatorial elections.’

These examples and definitions were got from Oxford dictionary

You will agree with me that the best fit is the adjectival word 'gubernatorial' and not 'governorship'

In most cases, you will never find the aforementioned expressions in British and Ameiecan dailies. When you google 'governorship election', you are most likely to be on the Nigerian internet space smiley wink smiley wink

Gubernatorial election ✔
Gubernatorial candidate✔
Gubernatorial polls✔
Etc.

I am King Ifey and I love to see you prosper
@King_Ifey (IG and Twitter )

Visit www.kingifey.com

1 Like

Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by dlondonbadboy: 9:13am On Feb 22, 2019
So maybe44 cannot ban all the accts of this guy above me? All the acct?
Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by CreepyBlackpool: 9:25am On Feb 22, 2019
I'd love to go to the white men's online forum one day and see them create threads educating themselves on the correct use of words in Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa and our other languages
Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by Jman06(m): 9:28am On Feb 22, 2019
"Govonotorial" election according to Buhari
Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by izombie(m): 9:50am On Feb 22, 2019
What of governotorial?
Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by kingIfey(m): 10:01am On Feb 22, 2019
dlondonbadboy:

His comment has been deleted
Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by MadamExcellency: 10:02am On Feb 22, 2019
CreepyBlackpool:
I'd love to go to the white men's online forum one day and see them create threads educating themselves on the correct use of words in Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa and our other languages

Is English a Whitman's language?

Wasn't Greek and Latin more prominent than English.

There is no controversy that English has become the global language especially in Artificial intelligence and technological advancement.
Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by kingIfey(m): 10:03am On Feb 22, 2019
CreepyBlackpool:

That is if they use these languages for communication, they will actively be learning the right usage of the languages.

Well, If this forum were not using English, we wouldn't be discussing this in English.
Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by eagleeye2: 10:03am On Feb 22, 2019
The standard is Governortorial, according to the gospel of Buhari. grin
Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by kingIfey(m): 10:03am On Feb 22, 2019
Jman06:
"Govonotorial" election according to Buhari

grin grin grin grin grin LOL

1 Like

Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by kingIfey(m): 10:04am On Feb 22, 2019
izombie:
What of governotorial?

It's incorrect .LOL
Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by livelymatilda22: 10:06am On Feb 22, 2019
dlondonbadboy:
What is the difference between him and you who promised to give people #5000 when they tell their so called "buhari story"...only to mock them and ran out of the thread.
I wasn't surprised since you are a Pdp wailing Zombie.. This is the same thing Pdp did to Nigerians for 16 years.

Never again shall we vote Pdp in power..Like Pdp, like their members Shameless hypocrite

1 Share

Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by livelymatilda22: 10:10am On Feb 22, 2019
Lol..SalamRushdie has not been coming online because he has not been paid his wailing zombie wages for months now...

Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by puzzlegate(m): 10:12am On Feb 22, 2019
Is ogboru of delta state Governatorial as buhari said ?
Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by dlondonbadboy: 11:34am On Feb 22, 2019
livelymatilda22:

What is the difference between him and you who promised to give people #5000 when they tell their so called "buhari story"...only to mock them and ran out of the thread.
I wasn't surprised since you are a Pdp wailing Zombie.. This is the same thing Pdp did to Nigerians for 16 years.

Never again shall we vote Pdp in power..Like Pdp, like their members Shameless hypocrite

Is that why you have been sending me PMs? I'm not giving you a dime, go and meet Buhari. As for that thread, i would revisit it immediately after Atiku becomes President.

Once again, i am not giving you a penny! Go and meet your lord and personal savior..
Re: Wrong Expression: Governorship Or Gubernatorial Election? Which Is The Standard? by livelymatilda22: 11:55am On Feb 22, 2019
dlondonbadboy:

Is that why you have been sending me PMs? I'm not giving you a dime, go and meet Buhari. As for that thread, i would revisit it immediately after Atiku becomes President.

Once again, i am not giving you a penny! Go and meet your lord and personal savior..
Lol Pdp and lies.. .I dare you to show my Pm for everyone to see?
You will visit the thread as soon as Atiku is declared president of Cameroon... Right? What a shameless wailing zombie... Spits on your head.

Shame on you if you don't post the Pm...Hopeless liar

(1) (Reply)

Kenyan Man Loses Whole Family, Three Grandchildren In Ethiopia Crash (Photos) / Tow The Path Of Honour Don’t Appeal Judgement PDP Tells Oyetola / Tribunal Update: Akpabio's Petition Incoherent And Inconsistent - Ekpenyong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.