Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,903 members, 7,835,016 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki (1950 Views)

Meet Police Officer,Abba Kyari,Leading Special Anti-Robbery/Anti-Kidnap Teams / KIDNAP: I Slept On Bare Ground, Trekked Several Kilometres — Falae / House of Representatives Adopt Motion Over Removal Of Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by Nobody: 5:44am On Aug 28, 2010
[size=28pt]GSM Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –Saraki[/size]

Kwara State Governor, Bukola Saraki, has advised the Federal Government to compel the GSM operators to adopt devices for locating the specific area a call is being made to facilitate the tracing of kidnappers.

He said that the operators should be made to install in strategic places in all parts of the country gadgets that will indicate area of call, saying this will assist in apprehending kidnappers and others who make calls for illegal deals.

Saraki who made the advice in an interview with newsmen at the state Government House in Ilorin on Monday, recalled that he had once written a letter to the Presidency over the matter.

He said that the cost of procuring the needed gadgets by the GSM operators is very cheap compare with the huge profit they make from their numerous customers in Nigeria.

He said kidnapping is a criminal business and expressed worry that it is spreading in the country unabated.

He said government should not handle the fight against the illegal practice with levity

The governor said kidnapping could hardly be experienced in any developed countries because when such calls demanding for ransom are made the caller would be traced within 30 minutes and arrested.

He said the kidnapping of journalists for a week was an embarrassment to the nation and advised that the development should be considered as a challenge to launch a decisive fight against the illegal act

The governor said the call centre detecting devices is not unaffordable by the GSM operator and alleged that the operators fail to procure them because of their drive to make profit at the expense of the well being of their customers on whom they survive

He said people of the country would continue to suffer kidnapping if the GSM operators are not compel to install the device to discourage the criminal act.

http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/Article.aspx?id=2741
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by Africanson: 11:53am On Aug 28, 2010
Even if the GSM operators can't adopt it you can still protect yourself by geting an anti-kidnapping phone. There's a company already offering anti-kidnapping facilities on your phone. Just go to 080 advertising, once on their website click on GSM codes. I got my own anti-kidnapping phone from them. Just tell them what function you want on your phone and they will put it for you. They can also provide you database lising of GSM numbers in Nigeria incase you want to advertise by SMS to millions of Nigerians. Their website is http://www.080advertising.com
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by Ranoscky(m): 12:17pm On Aug 28, 2010
^
Thanx for d info!
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by Thespecialone(m): 2:37pm On Aug 28, 2010
I shudder to think of the potential privacy invasion that could take place. Imagine receiving a call and hearing you are driving along opebi road!
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by mcbertin: 5:27pm On Aug 28, 2010
the governor is ill-informed, it costs a lot of money to acquire these equipments. It will probably cost an operator like MTN more than 40 million USD and remember this is not a revenue generating equipment.
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by oladayo042: 6:45pm On Aug 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

[size=28pt]GSM Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –Saraki[/size]

Kwara State Governor, Bukola Saraki, has advised the Federal Government to compel the GSM operators to adopt devices for locating the specific area a call is being made to facilitate the tracing of kidnappers.

He said that the operators should be made to install in strategic places in all parts of the country gadgets that will indicate area of call, saying this will assist in apprehending kidnappers and others who make calls for illegal deals.

Saraki who made the advice in an interview with newsmen at the state Government House in Ilorin on Monday, recalled that he had once written a letter to the Presidency over the matter.

He said that the cost of procuring the needed gadgets by the GSM operators is very cheap compare with the huge profit they make from their numerous customers in Nigeria.

He said kidnapping is a criminal business and expressed worry that it is spreading in the country unabated.

He said government should not handle the fight against the illegal practice with levity

The governor said kidnapping could hardly be experienced in any developed countries because when such calls demanding for ransom are made the caller would be traced within 30 minutes and arrested.

He said the kidnapping of journalists(Ommission; carrying N3m in the trunk of their car) for a week was an embarrassment to the nation and advised that the development should be considered as a challenge to launch a decisive fight against the illegal act

The governor said the call centre detecting devices is not unaffordable by the GSM operator and alleged that the operators fail to procure them because of their drive to make profit at the expense of the well being of their customers on whom they survive

He said people of the country would continue to suffer kidnapping if the GSM operators are not compel to install the device to discourage the criminal act.

http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/Article.aspx?id=2741
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by feasy1(m): 7:32pm On Aug 28, 2010
mcbertin:

the governor is ill-informed, it costs a lot of money to acquire these equipments. It will probably cost an operator like MTN more than 40 million USD and remember this is not a revenue generating equipment.

Mcbertin, 40Million USD for ?? The equipment in question is called LBS (Location Based services), this is integrated into a operator existing network and the Operator or the regulator/ government agencies could track the mobile phones location.

I bet the equipment cost, implementation and what have you doesnt cost a 10th of what Mcbertin mentioned or rather put there are vendors that could even offer such with far less that a million USD.

Thats part of NSE role, this equipment are being rolled out on mobile network not only in the western world but even in the developing countries. Naija we will get there
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by mbulela: 8:24pm On Aug 28, 2010
Their is a lot of ignorance on this page.both by the governor and by the guy who quoted 40 million USD.
While it would cost some money to implement location based services, it is no where near 40 million USD (not even Naira).The more important fact is that it is a value added service (VAS) and subscribers have to subscribe to it and pay for it, then the provider provides to those specific subscribers.
You can't just have operators providing location info on each and every subscriber to everyone that desires it.What sort of anarchy are you inviting?

Another fact is that while it is not strictly location based service in its truest sense, operators can presently monitor a call and determine the location of the movile down to about 300m radius of the location.
I know several car snatchers that have been detected after they kept calling for ransom or using the car owners phone to make calls who were traced by staff of network operators while they were active on the network.
the problem arose from the fact that it became a side business for some staff of the operators and it is actually illegal.
Operators can still do it but they will request for a few bureaucratic steps including a police order.obviously the thieves (kidnappers) and will not be sitting at a spot while you get the police or court order.
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by Smi1(m): 1:00am On Aug 29, 2010
I don't think it's going to cost them much and even though it will, I'm sure they are capable of installing the device ,  because they are making a hell of money from Nigerians so they should also be worry about their customers security too.
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by Riot5000: 7:01am On Aug 29, 2010
WHERE THE HELL IS THE NIGERIAN POLICE and GOVERNMENT?
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by JUO(m): 12:43pm On Aug 29, 2010
He said kidnapping is a criminal business and expressed worry that it is spreading in the country unabated
Mr governor is looting not a crime? u have written letters for this, why can't u write letters to create jobs so that kidnappers can have something to do? self-centered people
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by mrdan(m): 4:27pm On Aug 29, 2010
People, the so called equipments are already in place right from the time a GSM company starts work.

A cell site can receive and broadcast signals within a particular radius, and there are usually more than 2 cell sites always in range of ur phone, so your position can actually be triangulated more easily if u fall within the intersection of these cell sites. And also ur position can be gotten based on the time it takes for ur phone to receive and transmit back information to the cell towers.

So i dont see the difficulty in pin pointing locations of kidnappers, if the government is ready to do what is required of them.
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by geebeeohh(m): 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2010
are you guys for real let the police partner foreign law enforcement agencies for that kind of technology, as for me i won't give my personal info to a 'private company'for the sake of 'SECURITY'. my privacy is mine and mine alone.thank you
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by rman: 8:18pm On Aug 29, 2010
All calls can be traced by telecoms operators, they just don't do it cos it is illegal. It won't cost anything extra.
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by loqie(m): 9:21pm On Aug 29, 2010
Nice post!
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by lekanbar(m): 12:22am On Aug 30, 2010
Well what shall we say to this things undecided

http://lekanbaruwa.
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by seedord247(m): 6:25am On Aug 30, 2010
who go pay the money?
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 30, 2010
Banks and Security people should adopt anti-corruption device too!
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by mrinfo(m): 10:10am On Aug 30, 2010
What does Saraki know about technology?
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by HamidO1(m): 4:39pm On Aug 30, 2010
mrinfo:

What does Saraki know about technology?
THANK U MY BROTHER, HE KNOWS NOTHIN, thank God his 8 years is coming to an end.
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by Ibomade1: 10:10am On Aug 31, 2010
Is Governor Bukola running scared or what? The Guilty will always be afraid
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by texazzpete(m): 11:20am On Aug 31, 2010
This statement from Saraki (and some of the comments in support) are rather brainless.

Why should a private company that diligently pays its taxes be compelled to incur additional costs to solve a national security problem just because they 'make huge profits'?
Aren't they here to make profits? Is there any crime in making profits?

Saraki comes off as being rather ignorant. Why make vague statements about 'gadgets'? Let him do his research before coming out with such talk.
Re: Gsm Operators Should Adopt Anti-kidnap Device –saraki by tunde121oke: 9:08pm On Sep 01, 2010
oh i see this saraki remembers there are Nigeriansa out here ,but sef who is been kidnapped the massses or the big shots ,

(1) (Reply)

I’m Not Contesting To Protect Daniel – Salako ! / Jonathan: Constitution Is Flawed / The Myths About SE As An Oil Producing Region.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.