Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,052 members, 7,835,553 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body (5090 Views)

Peter Onyekwere-Ebigbo Elected Into World Council On Torture Victims / 10 Signs That We're Headed Into World War Iii / 10 Signs We Are Headed Into World War III (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Nobody: 5:46am On Aug 28, 2010
[size=28pt]Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body[/size]

Nigeria’s Sir Dan Anaebo Okekenta, became the first African local delegate to be elected as a member of the Supreme Council, the World Governing body of the Knights of Saint John International, KSJI, a respected Order within the  Catholic Church.

According to a press statement signed by Sir Remmy Martins Nwafor,  Grand Secretary of the Abuja Grand Commandery, Okekenta was elected into the top position of the First Supreme Trustee of charity organisation – the only African ever so elected and the highest African in the KSJI hierarchy at the 51st Biennial Convention of the Catholic charity and religious organisation at The Valley Plaza Resort, Midland, Michigan USA late July.

Okekenta, a philanthropist, author, and Abuja-based estate developer, who is the charter Grand President of the Abuja Grand Commandery, and Second Vice President of the Nigerian arm of the KSJI, won that election and was promoted Major General in the religious/military Order. As the Nigerian national  anthem played during  his elevation.  The Nigerian delegation was led by its President, Prof. C.O.E. Onwuliri, Vice Chancellor, Federal University of Technology, Owerri.

The delegation included Rev. Fr, (Dr.) Ralph Madu, KSJI Nigeria’s Spiritual Director and Director of Social Communications, Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria, Abuja, Sir Chidi Arinze, Prof. Romanus Unegbu, Dr. Nwachukwu Jude and  N. N. Nwanesi etc.

Other officers elected at the Convention includes   Gen. Tim Hearst, Supreme President and Gen. Dale Gossaux, Vice president while Lt. Gen. Tom Zdanowicz was returned as Supreme Secretary. All the three are from USA, where KSJI has its world headquarters.  Okekenta, in his early 50s, is from Enugwu-Agidi town, Anambra state.

The Knights of St, John and their Ladies Auxiliary at all levels are famous for their religious, charity and social works all over the world. This Catholic church-based organisation is a charitable, religious, social and para-military Order that cares for the disabled, widows and supports the church in several ways. It was started in 1048 AD in the Pontificate of Pope
Benedict IX, but has now spread all over the world. The modern Order of the Knighthood was established in the Holy Trinity Parish Dayton, Ohio, USA in 1870 AD, during the preparation of the Silver Jubilee of the Pontificate of Pope Pius IX.

More good news came Nigeria’s way as Kaduna and Benin Archdioceses of the Catholic Church were granted  the status of Grand Commanderies, making a total of nine Grand Commanderies in Nigeria, and giving Nigeria more voting rights in the world body. The next KKSJI convention comes up in two years.   

http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/Article.aspx?id=2762
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 28, 2010
Really don't know why this is news when a Nigerian only missed being the current Pope by a whisker.

Probably folks were not ready for a black Pope.
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Ranoscky(m): 12:03pm On Aug 28, 2010
^
Hehehe

Ur 2nd line of ur comment says it all!
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Abuna: 12:37pm On Aug 28, 2010
Once in a while, dem go throw us crumbs to keep us (Black People) happy. cool
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by nastydamus(m): 12:59pm On Aug 28, 2010
How does this better the generality of our spirituality? Just asking coz we seem to be winning at two extremes of the race, at the same time!
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Dede1(m): 2:47pm On Aug 28, 2010
This is the height of the wastefulness of human endeavor by delusional Africans.
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by redsun(m): 2:57pm On Aug 28, 2010
Africans seems to excel in backwardness.
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by SuperPap: 4:55pm On Aug 28, 2010
wat is dis fking rubbish?
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by hackney(m): 7:34pm On Aug 28, 2010
I hail NLers.
straight to the point.

Of what use is that rubbish news to anybody? This nonsense  catholic election is to keep the
dwindling catholic alms donations from being a total wash.

One day, black nations will know the true motives behind all these nonsense.

What does it solve? ?
People are starving and they are doing world spreme council , thunder fire all of them.
Ndi oshi! !
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by mamagee3(f): 9:10pm On Aug 28, 2010
Let's just pray something bad doesn't come out of this. . .

Cause that's what I'm suspecting.
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Afam4eva(m): 9:23pm On Aug 28, 2010
mama-gee:

Something bad like what?
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by IBEXY(m): 7:30am On Aug 29, 2010
we have the highest number of churches per square kilometre yet kidnapping and armed robbery continues.
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by beeke(m): 9:50am On Aug 29, 2010
hackney:

I hail NLers.
straight to the point.

Of what use is that rubbish news to anybody? This nonsense  catholic election is to keep the
dwindling catholic alms donations from being a total wash.

One day, black nations will know the true motives behind all these nonsense.

What does it solve? ?
People are starving and they are doing world spreme council , thunder fire all of them.
Ndi oshi! !

It is obvious that you have sold your soul to the devil but is never too late to repent and avert eternal damnation.
PRAY FERVENTLY FOR YOUR SOUL

mama-gee:

mama-gee mama-gee why have thou forsaken me
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by untainted: 5:43pm On Aug 29, 2010
I have noticed a trend on nairaland.
if you start a thread and some people
condemn it, all others will join the bandwagon.
such cowardice really beats me.

Everybody is hating but what is wrong with a
Nigerian being elected into a Catholic body?
After all there is no single religious body in the world
that has reached out in terms of charity and other humanitarian
services like the Catholic church.

what you should rather say is for him to make sure Nigerians and
indeed Africa benefit from the goodies of the Church has to spread around.

HATERS, get a MIND EACH and EVERYONE of YOU!
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by DisGuy: 5:54pm On Aug 29, 2010
stop posting everything in the politic section!!!
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 29, 2010
A slight joke:

untainted:

So they've finally tainted you abi
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by untainted: 6:09pm On Aug 29, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

A slight joke:

So they've finally tainted you abi

lol, for where dey no fit taint me oh, though you have not
taken a side yet!
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 29, 2010
LOL I have not. Just thought the joke was funny.
However, I'm still wondering how important this election is to the Nigerian population.
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Nobody: 6:24pm On Aug 29, 2010
Stu-p-id R-ub-ish!!

Christianity my Yas-sh!
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by untainted: 6:32pm On Aug 29, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

However, I'm still wondering how important this election is to the Nigerian population.

I agree it was a funny joke albeit a wicked one Ileke-Idi,  grin grin grin

I think questioning the importance of the election is the most sensible thing
to do, not condemn the Catholic church because a Nigerian is voted into one
of its affiliates.

As for importance, I think the group is a voluntary organisation, with
functions similar to the Rotary Club.
Would it then be wise to condemn the Rotary Club because it is based in the West
and shares an ideology of selflessness?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by EzeUche(m): 6:46pm On Aug 29, 2010
As a Roman Catholic, I am happy to see this!

Cardinal Arinze almost became pope. Ha ha ha an Igbo pope. That would have been the day!

Anybody who has a problem with Catholics has a problem with me!  angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Nobody: 6:49pm On Aug 29, 2010
EzeUche:

As a Roman Catholic, I am happy to see this!

Cardinal Arinze almost became pope. Ha ha ha an Igbo pope. That would have been the day!
You're catholic?  My mom is catholic, forced me to go to her boring church. angry

Why do you guys have to sing everything? Even sang the bible verses, annoying.

untainted:

I agree it was a funny joke albeit a wicked one Ileke-Idi,  grin grin grin

I think questioning the importance of the election is the most sensible thing
to do, not condemn the Catholic church because a Nigerian is voted into one
of its affiliates.

As for importance, I think the group is a voluntary organisation, with
functions similar to the Rotary Club.
Would it then be wise to condemn the Rotary Club because it is based in the West
and shares an ideology of selflessness?  

You're right. Thanks for the explanation too.
I think the problem with us Nigerians is that if it has nothing to do with money, we tend not to see the value or importance in it lol
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by EzeUche(m): 6:55pm On Aug 29, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

You're catholic?  My mom is catholic, forced me to go to her boring church. angry

Why do you guys have to sing everything? Even sang the bible verses, annoying.

Then why aren't you a Catholic if your mother is a Catholic? angry

See you were about to get my hopes up and then you dash them.

My church was very lively. It depends on the priest. We had an Idoma priest who kept it lively.
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 29, 2010
EzeUche:

Then why aren't you a Catholic if your mother is a Catholic? angry

See you were about to get my hopes up and then you dash them.

My church was very lively. It depends on the priest. We had an Idoma priest who kept it lively.
I will never be a catholic, I swaer, I dont get you people. Who do you worship, Mary or Jesus?

Nigerian churches are usually lively. Those white catholic churches abroad are boring and plain annoying.
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by EzeUche(m): 7:06pm On Aug 29, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I will never be a catholic, I swaer, I dont get you people. Who do you worship, Mary or Jesus?

Nigerian churches are usually lively. Those white catholic churches abroad are boring and plain annoying.

Do not go bashing my faith! angry

I worship Jesus, and I give honor to Mary as the mother of the Lord.

You act as if all Catholic Churches are the same. It depends on the priest. All of the priest I know were Africans and one Italian priest who thinks he is African.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Nobody: 7:11pm On Aug 29, 2010
EzeUche:

Do not go bashing my faith! angry

I worship Jesus, and I give honor to Mary as the mother of the Lord.

You act as if all Catholic Churches are the same. It depends on the priest. All of the priest I know were Africans and one Italian priest who thinks he is African.

Oya, no vex omo Arochukwu.

But must you guys sing everything? I'd loff to attend your church and hear you sing grin grin Would be funny.
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by JoeGaruba: 7:26pm On Aug 29, 2010
untainted:

Well said bro. Mob mentality is the bane of this forum. Mindless lot cannot appreciate the achievement of others.

Meanwhile, its not necessary to comment but out of sheer stupidity, many join the fray.
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by getukudo(m): 7:46pm On Aug 29, 2010
Yet another thread from a fool who doesn't know his/her left from right. Go get a life and Stop condemning other peoples religion, or better yet still build a bridge and jump over. Your accusing someone of choosing a religion and calling it boring, bunch of FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!. Get a Life! Cowards!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by Nobody: 11:08pm On Aug 29, 2010
i knew this Okekenta as a distributor with Nigeria Breweries 5 years ago in Abuja

Is he still in the same line of biz?
Christianity and Alcohol, what a mix?
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by EzeUche(m): 11:20pm On Aug 29, 2010
MrPrsdent:

i knew this Okekenta as a distributor with Nigeria Breweries 5 years ago in Abuja

Is he still in the same line of biz?
Christianity and Alcohol, what a mix?

Did Jesus not turn water into wine?  undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by kenbee(f): 11:22pm On Aug 29, 2010
What good will it do us to criticise our own destructively? Fellow nairalanders, lets try think positively. Think our main problem is our state of mind.[color=][/color]
Re: Nigerian Elected Into World Catholic Body by tpiah: 11:24pm On Aug 29, 2010
nigerians no dey carry last for religion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Wikileaks Revelations Implicates Aondoakaa, Julius Berger Etc. / MKO's Brain, Heart, Other Internal Organs Removed - Brother(s) / Ban Of Green Buses Temporarily Suspended By FCT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.