Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,297 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Should Post UTME Still Continue - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should Post UTME Still Continue (620 Views)

It Is Your Habit And If You Don't Change It, Things Will Still Continue / It Is Your Habit And If You Don't Change It, It Will Still Continue... / Should I Rewrite Jamb Or Continue Waiting For Admission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Post UTME Still Continue by Nobody: 1:25am On Mar 01, 2019
Am writing a brief article on the subject matter. It will be best I get contributions from many nairalanders on the subject matter. This work seeks to contribute to knowledge and improvement in our educational system. Please pardon my use of words as am not perfect in typing.
Post-UTME (Post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination) is the examination conducted by tertiary institutions to test the ability of students seeking admissions into their schools. Many people refer to it as Post Jamb and it is usually conducted after UTME. Only those who have the required grades in UTME are eligible to write the exam. Cut off marks are determine by Jamb. Although the cut off point varies from university to university however be rest assure that no university is allowed to admit students below the minimum mark. Universities are at liberty to increase their cut off point to any that suits them. Usually many public universities put their scores between 180 and 200. Aside meeting up with the cut off mark, candidates are to submit their 0'level to Jamb before they considered for admission.
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by Nobody: 1:29am On Mar 01, 2019
There have been improvement in the conduct of UTME. The introduction of Computer Based Test (CBT), the introduction of Central Admissions Processing System(CAPS) and CCTV surveillance in many examination centres. Inspite of this improvement many universities had stick to the conduct of Post UTME. The question that comes to mind is why should students be subjected to two exams ? Many developed countries write just one exam which is called SAT. Why can't we stick to that format since Jamb has improved. With the strict measures put in place by Jamb many should be clamouring for scrapping Post UTME. Why is that not happening or has the standard of Jamb diminish or what?
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by Nobody: 1:40am On Mar 01, 2019
Many say that Post UTME is better yet the system has been hijacked by top officials. I witness cases of many persons having their own list. Aside the merit list, there are other list. This include Senator's list, governor's list, Vc list and among others. It doesn't end there, the government introduced Educationally Less Developed States (ELDS) and catchment area. Now when candidates are selected from the bolded list, the university made do with ELDS and catchment area. Is not possible for candidate to be admitted based on merit without applying this format? It is rare for corporate organizations to use this pattern in selecting their staffs, why can't we borrow a leaf from them?.
Do universities abroad uses similar pattern to admit students if there is let me know?
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by Nobody: 1:45am On Mar 01, 2019
The following are questions that seeks contributions from many on this forum.
1. Do you support the continue conduct of Post UTME by universities? If yes give justifiable reasons?
2. Should we stick centralized exam like our counterpart abroad instead writing two exams? If you are in support give reasons ?
3. Should admission be strictly on merit without considering ELDS and catchment area?
4. What do you think the government should do to improve the admission process in Nigeria tertiary institutions?
5. Should universities be allowed to conduct exams without students writing Jamb?
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 01, 2019
I would want contributions from other Africans or Nigerians in diaspora on how students are admitted into tertiary institutions.
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by Nobody: 1:53am On Mar 01, 2019
cc: highered, CodeTemplar,fratermathy, lalasticlala.what do you have to say? Should we continue or not?
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by CodeTemplar: 2:45am On Mar 01, 2019
Yes and No. Yes if JAMB still messes up and No if they are ok.
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by HigherEd: 3:23am On Mar 01, 2019
Yes I think it should continue...
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 01, 2019
HigherEd:
Yes I think it should continue...
You think post UTME should still continue Inspite of the improvement in Jamb? Are you implying that Jamb isn't good enough?
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by HigherEd: 10:22am On Mar 01, 2019
asuustrike1:

You think post UTME should still continue Inspite of the improvement in Jamb? Are you implying that Jamb isn't good enough?
Universities have the right to determine who comes into their varsities based on their own assessment. University like UI don't trust jamb and they've had bad experiences whenever they rely solely on JAMB.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by CodeTemplar: 10:39am On Mar 01, 2019
asuustrike1:

JAMB has improved but isnt near where it should be and POST UME is the only effective means schools who want to set themselves apart can further use to achieve that at admission level.
You will agree with me that most public schools are corrupt and tend to use POST UME as their corruption racket. Post UME is a two way thing. It can be good in the hands of serious schools and bad in the hands of the not so serious schools.
At the end JAMB would have been best if the system was very reliable because it can provide a central and reliable means of examining all admission seeker.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by CodeTemplar: 10:48am On Mar 01, 2019
HigherEd:

Universities have the right to determine who comes into their varsities based on their own assessment. University like UI don't trust jamb and they've had bad experiences whenever they rely solely on JAMB.
I remember reading a PDF paper some years back online where UI showed their justification for using POST UME by highlighting how high Jamb scorers didn't always perform well in their local UI POST UME. Like Nigerian govt the central is too big for those managing it and serious schools need a process to reassert what JAMB scores says. The Combination of both can be very good.

1 Like

Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by iceboy4752(m): 9:36am On Mar 02, 2019
I think JAMB should be in charge of admissions.
For example, if they say the cut-off point for Medicine and Surgery in ABU Zaria is 315, no candidate below that should be admitted. Though ELDS candidates should be considered, unless they don't want most of them to be in school, lol. Their marks should be made lower than that 315, maybe 290. This will also reduce the rate of partial admissions through connection, as it will no longer be the case of "my father is a close friend to the registrar." Catchment areas should also remain for now.
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by Nobody: 9:42am On Mar 02, 2019
iceboy4752:
I think JAMB should be in charge of admissions.
For example, if they say the cut-off point for Medicine and Surgery in ABU Zaria is 315, no candidate below that should be admitted. Though ELDS candidates should be considered, unless they don't want most of them to be in school, lol. Their marks should be made lower than that 315, maybe 290. This will also reduce the rate of partial admissions through connection, as it will no longer be the case of "my father is a close friend to the registrar." Catchment areas should also remain for now.
So you agree that post utme be scrapped?
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by iceboy4752(m): 9:43am On Mar 02, 2019
asuustrike1:

So you agree that post utme be scrapped?
Yes, but not catchment areas and ELDS.
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by Nobody: 9:47am On Mar 02, 2019
I for once don't like the idea of subjecting students to write two exams. If Jamb isn't credible enough then it should be scrapped. Why would ours be different from other African countries? Inspite of these exams many students get away with it. What is the point writing Jamb and post Jamb when many candidate would be admitted through back door?. For those supporting post Jamb, do they realize that many average students are denied admission because they are not connected?
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by Nobody: 9:52am On Mar 02, 2019
iceboy4752:

Yes, but not catchment areas and ELDS.
That is good. I brought the issue of catchment and ELDS because of fairness in admission. But since you agree that they stay no problem.
Re: Should Post UTME Still Continue by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 02, 2019
More contributions

(1) (Reply)

UTME Result: How To Check JAMB Result 2019 – Jamb Result Check / ICAN INSTITUTE OF NIGERIA / Bridge Afrika Scholarship For Nigerian Undergraduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.